The 2017 9.7-inch 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi is $300 at Costco

ultred ragnusen

Feb 27, 2018, 8:37:47 PM2/27/18
The 2017 9.7-inch 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi is $300 at Costco
Valid today through March 5 at Costco, & with free shipping.

Best Buy has them for more money than Costco if you don't have a Costco
membership.

Costco = $300
Best Buy = $370
Apple = $430 ($270 for 32GB)

ultred ragnusen

Feb 27, 2018, 8:39:44 PM2/27/18
ultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> Costco = $300
> Best Buy = $370
> Apple = $430 ($270 for 32GB)

The 2017 9.7-inch 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi is $300 at Costco
Valid today through March 5 at Costco, & with free shipping.

Best Buy has them for more money than Costco if you don't have a Costco
membership.

Costco = $300
Best Buy = $370 ($270 for 32GB)
Apple = $430

sms

Feb 27, 2018, 9:41:24 PM2/27/18
It's a bad idea to buy the Wi-Fi only iPad models. Even if you don't
want to pay for LTE data, the LTE model is a much better option because
it includes a GPS chip. There are many very useful applications that
require a GPS.

For Android tablets, even the Wi-Fi only models have a GPS and this is a
key difference. My $130 8" LG Wi-Fi tablet is much more functional than
a much more expensive Wi-Fi only iPad Mini.

There are external GPS dongles that connect to thw iPad via Bluetooth or
Lighting but these cost almost as much as the difference between a Wi-Fi
only iPad and an LTE iPad.

<http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/bad-elf-gps-for-apple-lightning-connector.html>
<http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/8364>

However they do have the advantage of being able to position the GPS
dongle for better reception, the former with a Lightning extension cable.

I have an iPad Pro LTE now, with the Apple pencil, and unlimited Verizon
data, and I really like it. I have the Logitech keyboard case that
connects to the connector on the iPad so it doesn't require separate
charging.

nospam

Feb 27, 2018, 10:08:54 PM2/27/18
In article <p754sj$on1$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's a bad idea to buy the Wi-Fi only iPad models. Even if you don't
> want to pay for LTE data, the LTE model is a much better option because
> it includes a GPS chip. There are many very useful applications that
> require a GPS.

not everyone needs to use those apps.

> For Android tablets, even the Wi-Fi only models have a GPS and this is a
> key difference. My $130 8" LG Wi-Fi tablet is much more functional than
> a much more expensive Wi-Fi only iPad Mini.

no it isn't. there's a shitload the ipad can do that the lg cannot.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 9:51:09 AM2/28/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's a bad idea to buy the Wi-Fi only iPad models. Even if you don't
> want to pay for LTE data, the LTE model is a much better option because
> it includes a GPS chip. There are many very useful applications that
> require a GPS.

Hi SMS,
I only recently saw the ad last night so I haven't checked with Costco,
where you bring up a GREAT point in that having GPS & cellular is de
rigueur nowadays.

I was thinking of buying a couple to give as gifts to people on iPhones and
on Verizon, so I appreciate that you brought up this caveat.

Does anyone know if the Costco iPad has the LTE/GPS also?

> I have an iPad Pro LTE now, with the Apple pencil, and unlimited Verizon
> data, and I really like it.

All my iPads are the free 200MB/month T-Mobile/GPS so I agree with you that
the cellular/GPS feature is de rigueur - so it behooves us to nail down
whether the Costco lineup has cellular & GPS.

Otherwise it's worthless.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 9:52:20 AM2/28/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> no it isn't. there's a shitload the ipad can do that the lg cannot.

Name just one app functionality on the iPad that isn't already on Android.

Just the most important one...

I'll wait...

Wade Garrett

Feb 28, 2018, 12:23:56 PM2/28/18
Ummm, how 'bout regular updates, all of them work the same way,
intuitive and non-clunky OS- for a few ;-)

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 1:59:51 PM2/28/18
Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> Ummm, how 'bout regular updates, all of them work the same way,
> intuitive and non-clunky OS- for a few ;-)

I give you credit for trying, which is something nospam is afraid of doing
because his entire belief system is built upon a house of cards handed to
him by no other than Apple Marketing herself.

Secondly, that's not in the spirit of "app functionality" that we were
talking about - but it's a fair enough assessment that the diarrhea that is
iOS certainly has the runs, as noted earlier this month by none other than
the VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi himself.

I only tell the truth - where there's an entire thread on that subject in
the iPhone ng, but where the news was well announced a few weeks ago that
even Apple is sick and tired of releasing buggy iOS releases time and
again.

iOS 11.3 Beta Release Reveals Apple Is Not Learning
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/02/13/apple-ios-11-3-release-iphone-battery-problem-iphone-slow-performance/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/02/16/apple-news-iphonex-problems-iphonese2-macbookpro-homepod/
etc.

Of course, my first exposure to the diarrhea that is iOS was when I had the
iPads working just fine with Linux, and then I innocently moved from the
seemingly tiny jump of iOS 7.0.0 to iOS 7.0.1 when all hell broke loose in
the Linux world when everything that was working find in iOS 7.0.0 broke in
iOS 7.0.1 due solely to iOS changes, where Apple nonchalantly said on their
support site that Linux, which is in the real world, is simply "not
supported".

Another exposure to the diarrhea that is iOS releases was when Apple had in
hand, about a year ago, the Broadcom fix, and yet, inexplicably, they
/still/ released the diarrhea that is iOS, having to then beg tens of
millions of their customers to no longer update only ten days later, and
later having to /destroy/ the release that they /knew/ at the time of the
release, to be so insecure you could drive a bus through it.

Witness that each iOS release brings new bugs, like a bad case of diarrhea,
such as this new bug introduced in iOS just last week.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/16/iphone-bug-telugu-unicode-ios-mac-text-bomb/

Having proven that even Apple admits iOS releases are far too frequent to
/not/ be filled to the brim with bugs, I will grant you that the diarrhea
that is iOS certainly has frequent releases - far more frequent than do
Android releases - but - the /functionality/ of releases is the same on
both platforms.

But we must stay on topic, which is the /funcdtionality/ of updates, where
you seem to be spouting the same bullshit house-of-cards mantra that Apple
M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G filled your innocent brain with.

But let's talk, mano a mano, shall we?

Looking at functionality, even non-google Android phones often update via
the Google Framework Services and less frequently via security profiles and
even less frequently via carrier updates which start at the manufacturer;
but Google phones (e.g., Nexus brands) update even more frequently than
those.

Do Android phones update as frequently as the diarrhea that is iOS?
Nope. But the /functionality/ of updates is on all smart phones.

So, you're still left with the unenviable task of finding one app
functionality ... just one ... that is on iOS that isn't /already/ on
Android.

No need to name more than one.
Just one.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

sms

Feb 28, 2018, 2:56:07 PM2/28/18
On 2/28/2018 6:51 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

<snip>

> I was thinking of buying a couple to give as gifts to people on iPhones and
> on Verizon, so I appreciate that you brought up this caveat.

Since I have an LTE iPad Pro with unlimited Verizon data, I use that
rather than my Android tablets, except for a few apps that are not
offered on iOS.

In my opinion, a GPS is a "drop-dead requirement" for tablets unless
it's only being used for content consumption. I can live without paying
for another data connection on a tablet, and use tethering if I don't
have Wi-Fi. But since I'm on Xfinity, and the brouters they provide have
a second public Wi-Fi network, Wi-Fi is very available most places I go.

The lack of a GPS is very big deal. There are multiple apps, that I use
all the time, that don't work without a GPS. If you do any foreign
travel it's a vital feature. Adding an external GPS via a cable or
Bluetooth is possible, but an expensive add-on and by the time you buy
that you may as well buy an iPad with LTE data just to get the GPS
functionality.

For a Wi-Fi only tablet I have the LGV498
<http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-V498-g-pad-ii-8.0>. Three of them in my
family. It had several advantage over the Wi-Fi only iPad Mini when I
purchased it, including a) both Micro-USB and full size USB ports,
included stylus, b) higher resolution (at the time, now the iPad Mini 4
has slightly higher resolution), c) better audio file support, d)
Miracast, e) GPS f) lower price ($130), g) Flash video support. And of
course there are many apps not available or possible on iOS that are
available on Android.

nospam

Feb 28, 2018, 3:00:46 PM2/28/18
In article <p771gm$56j$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> For a Wi-Fi only tablet I have the LGV498
> <http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-V498-g-pad-ii-8.0>. Three of them in my
> family. It had several advantage over the Wi-Fi only iPad Mini when I
> purchased it, including a) both Micro-USB and full size USB ports,

there is no point in having *both*.

> included stylus,

nowhere near as good as an apple pencil.

> b) higher resolution (at the time, now the iPad Mini 4
> has slightly higher resolution),

but not as high quality as the ipad.

> c) better audio file support,

false.

> d)
> Miracast,

worthless.

> e) GPS

non-assisted.

> f) lower price ($130),

true, but you get what you pay for.

> g) Flash video support.

absolutely false.

android hasn't supported flash for *years*.

> And of
> course there are many apps not available or possible on iOS that are
> available on Android.

the reverse is also true.

sms

Feb 28, 2018, 3:59:24 PM2/28/18
On 2/28/2018 9:23 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 2/28/18 9:52 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> no it isn't. there's a shitload the ipad can do that the lg cannot.
>>
>> Name just one app functionality on the iPad that isn't already on
>> Android.
>>
>> Just the most important one...
>>
>> I'll wait...
>>

> Ummm, how 'bout regular updates, all of them work the same way,
> intuitive and non-clunky OS- for a few ;-)

Yes, at least the "all of them work in the same way" is true. Personally
I don't find Android clunky on the Android products I own (Samsung, LG,
Moto, Lenovo, Asus). Only a couple of tablets I have ever owned have had
OS updates pushed out, though all of the Android phones have had OS
updates pushed out, other than the newest ones. But remember that
Android devices are generally one or two year ahead of iOS products in
both hardware and OS so updates are of less importance. For example, iOS
finally got a file manager in iOS 11, but Android devices have had one
for many, many years.

I also like the fact that when a new app is released Android tends to
get it first. I.e. Nextdoor finally came out with an iOS app long after
their Android app. The iOS app was clearly written only for phones and
they should not have even allowed it on tablets, it looks ridiculous
(phone size display on an iPad!).

All that said, I prefer my iPad Pro 10" with the Apple Pencil over my
Android tablets. Part of that is because of unlimited Verizon LTE data,
part is the better battery life than my Android devices.

nospam

Feb 28, 2018, 4:19:26 PM2/28/18
In article <p7757b$1me$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> But remember that
> Android devices are generally one or two year ahead of iOS products in
> both hardware and OS so updates are of less importance.

absolutely false.

> For example, iOS
> finally got a file manager in iOS 11, but Android devices have had one
> for many, many years.

what android had is very primitive compared to what apple released, not
that it's even needed. those who are obsessed with direct file system
access are living in the past.

> I also like the fact that when a new app is released Android tends to
> get it first. I.e. Nextdoor finally came out with an iOS app long after
> their Android app.

that's the rare exception, not the rule.

the vast majority of apps appear on ios first (sometimes only on ios)
because it's both easier to write ios apps and more profitable to do
so.

> The iOS app was clearly written only for phones and
> they should not have even allowed it on tablets, it looks ridiculous
> (phone size display on an iPad!).

complete nonsense.

as usual, you're talking out your ass.

native ipad apps (and there are *lots* of those) take full advantage of
the larger display, with many ui elements that are unavailable on the
iphone.

only iphone apps running in compatibility mode are upscaled.

universal apps combine both, providing the best user experience,
regardless of device.

apple was originally working on a tablet (aka safaripad) *before* the
iphone, but opted to release the phone first.

compare that to android, where very few apps are designed for tablets.
most of the time, they're just really big phone apps.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 4:56:20 PM2/28/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> what android had is very primitive compared to what apple released, not
> that it's even needed. those who are obsessed with direct file system
> access are living in the past.

How you can say that clearly incorrect statement with a straight face is
what makes us all realize you're unbelievably ignorant of the otherwise
obvious to everyone but you fact that only iOS, of all consumer platforms,
disallows the user the type of access to the file system that /all/ other
modern consumer computer platform users enjoy (e.g., Windows, Linux,
Android, and yes, even the Mac users).

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 4:58:35 PM2/28/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, a GPS is a "drop-dead requirement" for tablets unless
> it's only being used for content consumption. I can live without paying
> for another data connection on a tablet, and use tethering if I don't
> have Wi-Fi.

But that doesn't answer the question.

I'm with you that both GPS and cellular are features that I would want,
where, to me, a device sans either is nearly worthless.

Do you know if the Costco 128GB $300 iPad has GPS/cellular?

joe

Feb 28, 2018, 5:06:42 PM2/28/18
I would expect the original poster to know that since he got the pricing
information from somewhere.

Anyway, the title of this thread says Wi-Fi, not Wi-Fi + cellular.

You could just look on the Costco web site.

(Yes, I do know if it has cellular, or not.)

nospam

Feb 28, 2018, 5:10:14 PM2/28/18
In article <1utir7xcvais6$.fvnq76sz...@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> Do you know if the Costco 128GB $300 iPad has GPS/cellular?

unlikely.

what does it say on the box?

nospam

Feb 28, 2018, 5:10:15 PM2/28/18
In article <g38p5gxv6gc9$.2o6a6jy21gq3$.d...@40tude.net>, ultred
it's not needed. end of story.

you are oblivious to modern and more productive ways of doing things.

ios goes beyond the limitations of the file system, with *much* better
ways to manage content than direct file system access ever could do,
something which is a relic of the past when computers were far less
capable and forced the burden onto the user. fortunately, those days
are long gone.

the other systems you list are also trying to move beyond the
limitations of the file system. unfortunately, luddites like yourself
are trying to hold back progress.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 6:41:00 PM2/28/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> it's not needed. end of story.
>
> you are oblivious to modern and more productive ways of doing things.

That iOS limits the users' ability to interact with the file system is, as
I've explained to you in the past, sort of like taking away the chain saw
because it's too powerful and then giving the user butter knives to chop
down a tree (because you can't hurt yourself with a butter knife).

It's not in the least /modern/. It's just restrictive.

> ios goes beyond the limitations of the file system, with *much* better
> ways to manage content than direct file system access ever could do,
> something which is a relic of the past when computers were far less
> capable and forced the burden onto the user. fortunately, those days
> are long gone.

I'm not even going to argue with you, since iOS is clearly /primitive/ and
stuck in the long-disabused decisions of a decade ago, where you can't even
organize the desktop the way you want to, for heaven's sake.

In fact, iOS is so /primitive/, that you can't do so many things that a
modern phone can do that it's not funny (e.g., organize your desktop the
way you want, for heaven's sake, or automatically answer and record phone
calls, or have user accounts, etc.).

> the other systems you list are also trying to move beyond the
> limitations of the file system. unfortunately, luddites like yourself
> are trying to hold back progress.

Except that I can do far more with Android than you can with iOS, where you
can't even name a single app functionality on iOS that isn't already on
Android.

Name just the most important app functionality you feel is on iOS that
isn't already on Android.

Name just one.
We're all waiting...

Still waiting...

Still waiting...

Still waiting...

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 6:51:17 PM2/28/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Do you know if the Costco 128GB $300 iPad has GPS/cellular?
>
> unlikely.
>
> what does it say on the box?

I called the local Costco store in Santa Cruz.
The ones they have on sale are "wifi only".

For me, that puts these $300 128GB iPads in the worthless category, along
with any Android phone that doesn't have a removable battery, sd card, GPS,
courageous headphone jack, etc.

They're not even worth being given as gifts.

ultred ragnusen

Feb 28, 2018, 7:14:11 PM2/28/18
ultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> I called the local Costco store in Santa Cruz.
> The ones they have on sale are "wifi only".

I called a local Best Buy.
They have the same thing that Costco sells at $300, but for $370, which is
Wi-Fi only.

The cellular-enabled model is $560.

So, it's a terrible deal, after all, since a mobile device is nearly
worthless without cellular and GPS (to me), even as a gift.

sms

Feb 28, 2018, 7:57:39 PM2/28/18
On 2/28/2018 3:40 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

> In fact, iOS is so /primitive/, that you can't do so many things that a
> modern phone can do that it's not funny (e.g., organize your desktop the
> way you want, for heaven's sake, or automatically answer and record phone
> calls, or have user accounts, etc.).

For educational users Apple does offer the ability to have multiple
users on an iOS device
<https://www.apple.com/education/it/#get-right-materials>. I suspect
that this is strictly a marketing decision since an iOS device is
intended for use by a single user (fair enough for an iPhone, but not
for an iPad). Of course Android has had multi-user support for many years.

sms

Feb 28, 2018, 8:09:40 PM2/28/18
On 2/28/2018 3:51 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

<snip>

> For me, that puts these $300 128GB iPads in the worthless category, along
> with any Android phone that doesn't have a removable battery, sd card, GPS,
> courageous headphone jack, etc.

I have not seen any Android tablets with a removable battery, or without
an SD card slot, or headphone jack.

Some of the super cheap tablets sold in drug stores around XMAS or $50
or so, lack a GPS.

I have not seen any name-brand Wi-Fi tablet without a GPS, and in my
house we have the original Nexus 7, an Asus tablet, a Lenovo tablet, and
three LG tablets. The Asus tablet was $50 because it had an Intel
processor and Intel was offering a big rebate
<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9561735>.

> They're not even worth being given as gifts.

For a kid that just wants to play games, watch videos, or listen to
music, limited-functionality tablets are just fine. And of course little
kids would prefer an iPad to an Android tablet. Probably no kid ever
said "daddy I want an Android tablet for Christmas."

sms

Feb 28, 2018, 8:11:11 PM2/28/18
Most tablets sold do not have cellular. Wi-Fi is so ubiquitous that they
are still very useful, and if there's no Wi-Fi you can tether to your
cell phone. Most people don't want to pay for another cellular device.

nospam

Feb 28, 2018, 11:31:33 PM2/28/18
In article <p77jsj$1c2$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Some of the super cheap tablets sold in drug stores around XMAS or $50
> or so, lack a GPS.

some even lack wifi.

i know someone who bought a noname tablet at some clearance sale for
$50 or something like that and it *doesn't* have wifi.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 12:38:58 AM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> For educational users Apple does offer the ability to have multiple
> users on an iOS device
> <https://www.apple.com/education/it/#get-right-materials>. I suspect
> that this is strictly a marketing decision since an iOS device is
> intended for use by a single user (fair enough for an iPhone, but not
> for an iPad). Of course Android has had multi-user support for many years.

Thanks for pointing out that iOS can have multiple users, so we can strike
that one off the list of about eighty to a hundred different app
functionalities that Android has that iOS doesn't have.

Meanwhile, there's zero app functionality on iOS that isn't already on
Android.

The odd things is that any logical person would know instantly why this is
the case. It's just the half dozen or so Apple Apologists who insist on
creating imaginary fabricated iOS functionality because their belief
system, which is built solely upon whatever Apple Marketing feeds them,
leaves zero room for actual facts.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 12:43:42 AM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Most tablets sold do not have cellular. Wi-Fi is so ubiquitous that they
> are still very useful, and if there's no Wi-Fi you can tether to your
> cell phone. Most people don't want to pay for another cellular device.

Well, I stopped off at a T-Mobile store, because I was thinking of getting
another $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus as a gift, and where it's $150 at the T-Mobile
store ... and I asked about the free 200MB/month for life SIM card.

The guy was cagey, but he said that it's still in effect, but he was cagey
about it, so I wasn't absolutely sure.

At a price of "free", it's certainly worth it though.

nospam

Mar 1, 2018, 12:46:53 AM3/1/18
In article <40lzon10e6sr.1f4b2t6242n1c$.d...@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> and I asked about the free 200MB/month for life SIM card.
>
> The guy was cagey, but he said that it's still in effect, but he was cagey
> about it, so I wasn't absolutely sure.

it's no longer offered, and hasn't been for nearly a year.

<https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700>
Important: As of May 7, 2017, Free Data for Life is no longer
available for new activations. If you signed up for FDFL on or before
May 6, 2017, you can keep it with your current tablet as long as you
own and use your tablet with T-Mobile.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 12:50:00 AM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> I have not seen any Android tablets with a removable battery, or without
> an SD card slot, or headphone jack.

You'll note that I mentioned "phone", where a phone without a removable
battery and an SD card slot is worthless to me, even as a gift. Been there,
done that. It's not worth it since you can get a perfectly good phone (like
the 32GB LG Stylo 3 Plus, at least for T-Mobile, for $130 at Christmas, and
even now, for $150 at T-Mobile) that has a removable battery, an SD card
slot that handles up to 2TB, and a bunch of other things like a courageous
headphone jack, FM radio, 8 cores, a stylus, etc.

But it's only in black so those who want a pink phone will have to look
elsewhere.

> Some of the super cheap tablets sold in drug stores around XMAS or $50
> or so, lack a GPS.

I can't see getting any mobile device, nowadays, sans GPS.
It's just too useful when you need it.

I only turn mine on when I need it, but I turn it on at least once a week
or so.

> I have not seen any name-brand Wi-Fi tablet without a GPS, and in my
> house we have the original Nexus 7, an Asus tablet, a Lenovo tablet, and
> three LG tablets. The Asus tablet was $50 because it had an Intel
> processor and Intel was offering a big rebate
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9561735>.

I can see your point, which is that, for a tablet...
a. The removable battery probably isn't an option
b. The SD card slot is extremely useful
c. The WiFi is extremely useful
d. The GPS is very useful
e. And cellular might not be all that useful unless you can get it for free

>> They're not even worth being given as gifts.
>
> For a kid that just wants to play games, watch videos, or listen to
> music, limited-functionality tablets are just fine. And of course little
> kids would prefer an iPad to an Android tablet. Probably no kid ever
> said "daddy I want an Android tablet for Christmas."

Actually, my grandkids are generally split down the middle.

The no-tech girls vastly prefer the iOS devices while the boys almost
always prefer the Android devices because they're more far more functional
than iOS devices at any given price point.

What's amazing is that the overall cost of ownership of Android products is
so fantastically less than for equivalent hardware iOS products that it
isn't funny.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 1:41:25 AM3/1/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> it's no longer offered, and hasn't been for nearly a year.
>
> <https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700>
> Important: As of May 7, 2017, Free Data for Life is no longer
> available for new activations. If you signed up for FDFL on or before
> May 6, 2017, you can keep it with your current tablet as long as you
> own and use your tablet with T-Mobile.

Thanks for looking that up. He was cagey about it, hinting that he could
get it done with the current offers, but I was pretty sure it had expired
too.

In general, I find the stores less up on what's offered by the carrier
where I've had to have people bring in the advertisements just to get the
free data for life at the stores in years past.

Thanks for looking it up. Much appreciated.

sms

Mar 1, 2018, 9:40:51 AM3/1/18
200MB a month? I can use that in an hour. Well on T-Mobile it could last
a long time since you have to find a place with coverage in order to use it.

nospam

Mar 1, 2018, 9:50:18 AM3/1/18
In article <p793di$5go$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> 200MB a month? I can use that in an hour.

it's intended for casual use and works well for many people. think of
it as fallback when wifi is spotty.

> Well on T-Mobile it could last
> a long time since you have to find a place with coverage in order to use it.

trolling.

sms

Mar 1, 2018, 9:52:16 AM3/1/18
On 2/28/2018 9:49 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

<snip>

> What's amazing is that the overall cost of ownership of Android products is
> so fantastically less than for equivalent hardware iOS products that it
> isn't funny.

That's true for non-flagship devices, but Samsung, LG, Google, etc.,
still charge high prices for their flagships. The Samsung S8 just
plunged in price and you can get one for $400, but that's because they
just released the S9, which fixes all the complaints people had about
the S8 (fingerprint sensor location, camera, speakers).

You continue to mis-state the facts regarding the LG Stylo 3 Plus. It is
not $130. It is about $210 unlocked, without contract
<https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-LG-Stylo-3-Plus-32GB-TP450-GSM-T-Mobile-4G-LTE-5-7-IPS-LCD-2GB-RAM-13MP-Camera-Phone-Titan/202328223>.
It does not work on the largest U.S. carrier <Verizon> or Sprint (is
anyone still on Sprint?!). You can't compare it with flagship devices
from Apple (X), Samsung (S8, S9), or LG (V30). It's probably most
comparable to an iPhone 6s Plus in terms of camera quality, processor,
etc., but without quad carrier support, and lacking many of the LTE bands.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 12:58:16 PM3/1/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> 200MB a month? I can use that in an hour.
>
> it's intended for casual use and works well for many people. think of
> it as fallback when wifi is spotty.

I used to do a lot of driving to a certain college a few hundred miles away
round trip, where if I pre-loaded Google map tiles on WiFi, the 200MB
sufficed for both phone calls on the iPad (both ways, to and from US POTS
lines) and for routing and traffic.

I wouldn't watch a video with it, but, mind you, if you ever wanted more
data, T-Mobile makes it easy to buy at something like $10 where you can do
a one-shot simply by scheduling the service to stop on a given date in the
same phone call that you asked for them to add it.

I even tested, successfully, swapping out the SIM cards from my two iPads,
and it worked just fine, so, realistically, if you owned multiple iPads,
you'd get multiple 200MB/month, but that was only done as a test since I
don't use even the 200MB in practice.

Another caveat is that the free 200MB/month doesn't work at all in Europe,
but, as a saving grace, the cellphone service goes from something like
4GB/month to unlimited data when traveling in Europe (dunno why they do
that, but they do).

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 1:13:25 PM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> What's amazing is that the overall cost of ownership of Android products is
>> so fantastically less than for equivalent hardware iOS products that it
>> isn't funny.
>
> That's true for non-flagship devices, but Samsung, LG, Google, etc.,
> still charge high prices for their flagships.

I agree with what you're saying, but I can also argue that my flagship
device from Samsung is still working (albeit it's battered) six years after
it was born, where I habitually charge multiple new batteries (some of
which are three to four times the size of the originals) to keep it running
at the same CPU speeds as when it was born in 2012.

I don't know what my overall cost of ownership is since it was obtained in
the days of contracts, but it has to be pretty good overall, even though it
was a flagship device at the time.

> The Samsung S8 just
> plunged in price and you can get one for $400, but that's because they
> just released the S9, which fixes all the complaints people had about
> the S8 (fingerprint sensor location, camera, speakers).

Such is the nature of high-tech computing, where last year's model is often
a stellar buy compared to this year's newborn baby.

> You continue to mis-state the facts regarding the LG Stylo 3 Plus. It is
> not $130. It is about $210 unlocked, without contract
> <https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-LG-Stylo-3-Plus-32GB-TP450-GSM-T-Mobile-4G-LTE-5-7-IPS-LCD-2GB-RAM-13MP-Camera-Phone-Titan/202328223>.

First off, I bought multiple LG Stylo 3 Plus phones at $130, and I said so,
quite clearly, so please don't call your memory lapse of the post you're
responding to a "mis statement" on my part.

In addition, I mentioned that my local T-Mobile store was selling them very
recently at $150, where I strongly contemplated buying another one, just
becsue it's such a good deal.

That you find only crappy deals is exactly what nospam does, which anyone
can do. It takes brains and effort to find a good deal, where any fool can
quote a lousy deal.

> It does not work on the largest U.S. carrier <Verizon> or Sprint (is
> anyone still on Sprint?!).

You told me this way back in late December when I first asked if the phone
was a good deal, so we're all well aware of this fact, and where I
appreciate you bringing it up again since the ipad folks were not on that
original thread I don't believe.

Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus
price/performance hardware comparison
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/HDI8moW_4Pw/fFqp2LudAQAJ

> You can't compare it with flagship devices
> from Apple (X), Samsung (S8, S9), or LG (V30).

That thread above compared it to the five-times-more-expensive iPhone,
where the 8-core LG hardware /kills/ the iPhone in many respects, and where
the 4-core iPhone has almost zero advantage over the LG (other than an
extra GB of RAM) when you factor in throttling of CPU speeds and the lack
of consumer friendly hardware such as
- removable battery
- expansion up to 2TB
- stylus
- radio
- courageous headphone jack
- etc.

> It's probably most
> comparable to an iPhone 6s Plus in terms of camera quality, processor,
> etc., but without quad carrier support, and lacking many of the LTE bands.

Here are the HW specs, as previously listed in that very thread, which you
can't dispute since they are facts.

*HARDWARE COMPARISON OF STOCKING SUFFERS: iPhone 7 Plus vs Stylo 3 Plus:*
Price: The Stylo was $130; while the iPhone is ~$670 (~five times more!)
CPU: The Stylo has 8 cores; while the iPhone has only 4
CPU top speed: iPhone is 2.34GHz for 2 cores; Stylo is 1.4GHz for 4 cores
(But, when Apple throttles the iPhone, it's less than half that)
CPU lower speed: Stylo is 1.1GHz for 4 cores, iPhone is 1.1GHz for 2 cores
(the iPhone uses one of those 2 cores for other things in addition!)
Storage: Both are 32GB
Expandable: Stylo expands to 2TB; iPhone is missing this functionality
Screen size: Stylo is 5.7 inches; iPhone is 5.5 inches
Display type: Both are IPS LCD
Pixel density: iPhone is 401ppi; Stylo is 386ppi
Screen resolution: both are the same at full HD 1080x1920 pixels
Main camera: Stylo rear camera is 13MP, while the iPhone 7 is 12MP
Selfie camera: iPhone is 7MP with flash; Stylo is 5MP with flash
Video: both are the same full HD at 1920x1080pixels at 30fps
Wi-Fi: both are the same at 802.11 everything up to ac, dual band
VoLTE: both are the same
NFC: both have NFC
Sensors: both have the same stuff
Bands: both have what is needed for the T-Mobile carrier we often use
Bluetooth: both are the same spec at version 4.2
Battery ease: Stylo is removable; while the iPhone 7 is not
Battery capacity: Stylo is 3080mAh, while the iPhone 7 is 2900mAh
RAM: iPhone 7 is 3GB while the Stylo is 2GB
Fingerprint sensor: iPhone 7 is on front; Stylo is on the back
SIM: Both are single nano SIM
Network: iPhone supports Verizon; Stylo does not
Stylus: Stylo has a stylus; iPhone 7 is missing this functionality
FM Radio: Stylo has an FM radio; iPhone 7 is missing this functionality
Headphone: Stylo has a courageous jack; iPhone 7 is lost functionality
Wordsize: Both are 64-bit

Did I miss an important hardware spec to compare the two phablets?
The specs seems similar but the price is a whopping 5X difference.

As stocking stuffers...
Q: Which do you think, based on hardware, has better price:performance?

REFERENCES:
<https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/LG-Stylo-3-Plus-vs-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus>
<https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Stylo-3-Plus,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/10534%2C9816>
<http://membershipwireless.com/50699/apple-iphone-7-plus-black-32gb/activationtype/new>
<http://membershipwireless.com/52734/stylo-3-plus/activationtype/new>

sms

Mar 1, 2018, 2:24:35 PM3/1/18
On 3/1/2018 10:13 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

<snip>

> In addition, I mentioned that my local T-Mobile store was selling them very
> recently at $150, where I strongly contemplated buying another one, just
> becsue it's such a good deal.

That is $130 with activation. But if you want to use it on a
non-contract plan from T-Mobile, AT&T, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, etc.,
it is NOT $130. Remember, the biggest GSM/LTE carrier is AT&T, and
anyone that cares a whit about the best coverage avoids T-Mobile at all
costs.

nospam

Mar 1, 2018, 3:39:14 PM3/1/18
In article <p79k1i$ch3$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Remember, the biggest GSM/LTE carrier is AT&T,

what happened to verizon's incredible coverage? is at&t paying you now?

> and
> anyone that cares a whit about the best coverage avoids T-Mobile at all
> costs.

nope. anyone that cares a whit doesn't listen to a shill, but instead,
investigates what works best in the areas they frequent, which may very
well be t-mobile, or it could be another carrier.

sms

Mar 1, 2018, 7:25:45 PM3/1/18
On 2/28/2018 1:56 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:

<snip>

> How you can say that clearly incorrect statement with a straight face is
> what makes us all realize you're unbelievably ignorant of the otherwise
> obvious to everyone but you fact that only iOS, of all consumer platforms,
> disallows the user the type of access to the file system that /all/ other
> modern consumer computer platform users enjoy (e.g., Windows, Linux,
> Android, and yes, even the Mac users).

Android and iOS tablets are fundamentally different types of devices, so
in the past a file manager was not needed. In fact it was the exact kind
of thing that was explicitly not provided because it would have changed
the whole paradigm. Things are changing now, and it's because of the
iPad Pro models and the Pencil. It's now possible to use the iPad as a
travel computer if you don't need to do any heavy-duty processing. The
file manager is especially essential if you're keeping a lot of files in
the cloud.

nospam

Mar 1, 2018, 7:51:47 PM3/1/18
In article <p7a5m8$bd5$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's now possible to use the iPad as a
> travel computer if you don't need to do any heavy-duty processing.

actually, it's *ideal* for heavy-duty processing, given that an ipad
pro benchmarks *faster* than most laptops, including apple's own
macbook pros.

> The
> file manager is especially essential if you're keeping a lot of files in
> the cloud.

no it isn't.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 9:31:20 PM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> That is $130 with activation.

I understand exactly what you're saying but for the others reading this, in
the case of the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus stocking stuffers which I bought at
Costo just before Christmas instead of the five times more expensive iPhone
7 Plus, all the phones were going to existing T-Mobile kids.

Hence, there were zero up charges, other than the roughly 10% sales tax in
California, and where the Costco kiosk provided, in writing, statements to
the effect that the phones can be unlocked after two billing cycles.

After that, AFAIK, you can use the phones on any GSM network you like,
where the cost that you speak of was exactly and only as stated above.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 9:35:15 PM3/1/18
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> nope. anyone that cares a whit doesn't listen to a shill, but instead,
> investigates what works best in the areas they frequent, which may very
> well be t-mobile, or it could be another carrier.

It seems sms and I are in the same general area, where, in the mountains,
all the carriers suck, which is why we all have femotowers or repeaters
provided gratis by the carrier ... but in the valley ... they're all
roughtly about the same (IMHO), where I've had the big three over time
(although not at the same time) and where I've found the coverage to be
"about the same".

Caveat: I don't do cellular data all that much (even though T-Mobile gives
me something like 4GB per line for free), except when hiking, and usually
it sucks, particularly in the deep ravines or in the backside of the
mountains, but it's the same for all carriers in that regard.

ultred ragnusen

Mar 1, 2018, 9:40:52 PM3/1/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Android and iOS tablets are fundamentally different types of devices, so
> in the past a file manager was not needed.

I would expand that sentiment to state the obvious fact that iOS is
different from /all/ other common consumer platforms, in that the device is
fundamentally restrictive in what the user is able to do.

> In fact it was the exact kind
> of thing that was explicitly not provided because it would have changed
> the whole paradigm.

Yes. The iOS paradign is to allow the user far less functionality, by
design, than any of the other common consumer compute platforms (including
Mac).

> Things are changing now, and it's because of the
> iPad Pro models and the Pencil. It's now possible to use the iPad as a
> travel computer if you don't need to do any heavy-duty processing.

I thank you for bringing up this salient point, in that I probably would
want to check out this file-system exploration capability. (Do you
remember, offhand, which iOS version it came on?)

> The
> file manager is especially essential if you're keeping a lot of files in
> the cloud.

While the cloud has its own inherent privacy issues, a file manager is so
essential that of all the common computer platforms for consumers, only iOS
was severely limited in what the user could access.

nospam

Mar 1, 2018, 9:47:52 PM3/1/18
In article <1aimoqb5odin7$.1gx06el3y7ci3$.d...@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> While the cloud has its own inherent privacy issues,

only if improperly used.

> a file manager is so
> essential

it isn't when far more efficient ways exist.

you're stuck in the past.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 17, 2018, 2:25:07 PM3/17/18
In article <news:p3e23cvxsbml$.14bjylr1z81ht$.d...@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen wrote:

> The 2017 9.7-inch 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi is $300 at Costco
> Valid today through March 5 at Costco, & with free shipping

Here is a summary of the excellent progress to date, with a couple of open
questions at the end with respect to the original question of sliding large
files back and forth between iOS and Windows 10 & Linux without needing to
install anything on Windows 10 or Linux, and using only a single freeware
app on iOS.

I found a few other methods, e.g., something called PLEX, where, overall,
I've tested the following USB & WiFi methods of moving large files back and
forth between the latest Windows (1709) or Linux (Ubuntu 17.10) & the
latest iOS (11.2.6).

This is a summary of the status of each method on Windows:
1. USB (unknown why it only works one way on Windows, from iOS to desktop)
2. iOS FTP server (works both ways in File Explorer between iOS & Windows)
3. iOS HTTP server (works both ways in a web browser between iOS & Windows)
4. iOS Bluetooth (should work on Windows but I don't have BT or WiFi cards)
5. iOS SMB server (works both ways between iOS & Windows)
6. iOS SMB client (works both ways between iOS & Windows)
7. iOS VLC app (works both ways - perhaps it's just HTTP or WebDAV?)
8. Desktop command-line app (e.g., curl, wget, etc.)

This is a summary of the status of each method on Linux:
1. USB (unknown why it only works one way on Linux, from iOS to desktop)
2. iOS FTP server (works both ways in Nautilus between iOS & Linux)
3. iOS HTTP server (works both ways in a we browser between iOS & Linux)
4. iOS Bluetooth (should work on Linux but I don't have a BT or WiFi card)
5. iOS SMB server (works both ways once smbclient is installed on Linux)
6. iOS SMB client (works both ways once Samba is installed on Linux)
7. iOS VLC app (works both ways - perhaps it's just HTTP or WebDAV?)
8. Desktop command-line app (e.g., curl, wget, etc.)

I haven't tried 'wget' or 'curl', but they should work on the HTTP servers.

The VLC app may or may not be in its own category as it might just be a
normal HTTP server, or, maybe it uses WebDAV? I don't know, but it also
works so I listed it as a 7th method for sliding large files both ways
between Linux and iOS that works without any additional software on the
desktop:
http://i.cubeupload.com/KeEgLb.jpg

Open questions on Windows:
Q: What's the trick to getting USB transfer to be both ways with Windows?
Q: What's the trick to permanently "mounting" the iOS SMB share on Windows?
net use X: \\IPAD\share

Open questions on Linux (since USB used to work both ways in iOS 7.0.0):
Q: What's the trick to getting USB transfer to be both ways with Linux?
Q: What's the trick to "mounting" the iOS SMB share on Linux?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 28, 2018, 1:57:33 PM3/28/18
Am Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:41:22 -0800, schrieb sms:

> It's a bad idea to buy the Wi-Fi only iPad models. Even if you don't
> want to pay for LTE data, the LTE model is a much better option because
> it includes a GPS chip. There are many very useful applications that
> require a GPS.

While what sms says is entirely accurate, I needed the iPad just to help
someone else learn how to use it better, since I bought a few of them as
gifts - where an Android tablet wouldn't have served that educational
purpose.

However, I learned something accidentally today about the iPad with respect
to the lack of a GPS chip, which is that it can still do rudimentary
routing.

What fortuitously happened today was that I noticed that google maps was
"actively" using my location while I was driving with the iPad on the
passenger seat.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

I opened up the Google map app, where I had already downloaded all the
local tiles using the well-known "OK Maps" feature for offline maps and I
saw the familiar blue dot almost exactly where I was driving at the time.

Lo and behold, in populated areas, the location tracking isn't all that
bad!

Clearly the location tracking was not by GPS but by nearby cellular Wi-Fi
access points, but the fact is that it works in a rudimentary way to allow
a semblance of routing and direction finding in populated areas.

Obviously this is to be expected, so it's not a surprise to all the
geniuses out there who will claim to be knowitalls, but I admit I hadn't
thought about using this iPad for rudimentary routing until now, so, I just
wanted to shout out to you that it works, in a rudimentary way, in
populated areas, if you're previously downloaded the offline maps.

--
If a respondent is going to be purposefully unhelpful, or if you only wish
to act childishisly, please simply ignore this thread as you can't possibly

nospam

Mar 28, 2018, 2:37:12 PM3/28/18
In article <p9gl29$1io9$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ragnusen Ultred
<rrag...@ultred.com> wrote:

> Clearly the location tracking was not by GPS but by nearby cellular Wi-Fi
> access points,

there is no such thing as a 'cellular wifi access point'.

either it's a cellular tower *or* it's a wifi access point.

location services on ios devices will use one or more of hardware gps
(if available), cellular (with or without active service), wifi and
bluetooth, depending on numerous factors.

> but the fact is that it works in a rudimentary way to allow
> a semblance of routing and direction finding in populated areas.

it's not the least bit rudimentary and very accurate in most cases,
often as accurate as a hardware gps in urban areas.

Ragnusen Ultred

Apr 10, 2018, 12:20:38 PM4/10/18
Am Wed, 28 Mar 2018 14:37:11 -0400, schrieb nospam:

> it's not the least bit rudimentary and very accurate in most cases,
> often as accurate as a hardware gps in urban areas.

Hi nospam,

You just guess.
I run tests.

The accuracy is extremely flaky.

In fact, I ran a test going from roughly about the middle of the San Jose
flatland to the San Jose Airport, which is fully described in this thread:
How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/ll6YT7BgFnA>

Here's just one of those posts, verbatim, from that rather technically
detailed thread where we note, as always, that you just guess, while I
actually run empirical tests.

>> This experiment today where I picked up a friend in San Jose to take her to
>> the SJC airport shows a rudimentary tracking ability on the WiFi only iPad,
>
> what it shows is your incompetence.

As you prove in *every* post, nospam...
1. You have no intention to ever be helpful, and,
2. You don't have the technical expertise to be helpful, and,
3. You just guess all the time, which makes you even less helpful
(Because your guesses are as accurate as the monkey's guesses.)

While I know you can't possibly answer any technical question accurately
because of that, I do have a technical question for the intelligent helpful
posters on this thread, which is:

Q1: Why doesn't the Google Map re-route when it sees that I'm going in a
different direction than the original route showed?
https://u.cubeupload.com/ZcSHbq.gif

Notice that the blue-to-gray interface of the planned route *does* change,
to match up (sort of) with the actual location.

For example, this is the starting point, where the white circle and red
balloon are the starting and ending points at the time of the initial route
plan.
https://u.cubeupload.com/1Xu1Ze.gif

As I start moving away from the start point, the white circle with the blue
arrow is my location, which is tracked by WiFi access points, where you can
see my location is moving to the west on highway 85 so you notice that the
blue-to-gray interface of the route changes accordingly.
https://u.cubeupload.com/Jg4N8H.gif

When I'm at the furthest point away from the route, but still it thinks I'm
on highway 85 heading west, the blue planned route is still on highway 85.
https://u.cubeupload.com/vTWsf6.gif

But then notice what happens when it figures out I'm on highway 17, where
it still thinks I'm heading west, but I'm actually heading north and where
the blue-gray interface on the planned route changes drastically
accordingly.
https://u.cubeupload.com/9eGl0p.gif

For the technically competent poster who intends to be purposefully
helpful, do you have any purposefully helpful advice for us on why the
offline-created route doesn't recalculate offline?