What's a good way to offload storage on an iPad directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 1:29:03ā€ÆPM1/16/18
What's an appropriate way for a highly non-technical person to offload
storage from an iPad & iPhone directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?

I just got a phone call from someone who has used up most of her storage
space on her iPads (her iPhone is new) where she does not own a computer
but we can mail her a 64GB USB flash drive for each iPad.

What's an appropriate technique and necessary equipment to get iOS to just
transfer files directly to a USB flash drive for a highly non technical
person who doesn't own a computer?

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 1:38:24ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3lg9b$1laq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> What's an appropriate way for a highly non-technical person to offload
> storage from an iPad & iPhone directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?

buy a flash drive with a lightning plug on it.

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 2:09:33ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
(in article <p3lg9b$1laq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):

> What's an appropriate way for a highly non-technical person to offload
> storage from an iPad & iPhone directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?

Keep it simple, use a Sandisk iXpand.

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 2:11:09ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <0001HW.200E856700...@news.giganews.com>,

> On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
> (in article <p3lg9b$1laq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):
> > What's an appropriate way for a highly non-technical person to offload
> > storage from an iPad & iPhone directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?
>
> Keep it simple,

he never does.

JF Mezei

Jan 16, 2018, 2:51:36ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On 2018-01-16 13:38, nospam wrote:

> buy a flash drive with a lightning plug on it.

How does the UI work for this? Does new functions magically appear on
iPhone to let one copy photos, music and application files to the flash
drive? Since the data does not pass through the secure enclave, I assume
it is not encrypted while on flash drive ?

I know there is UI to fetch photos from a camera attached vciua USB
adaptor. Didn't know you could move data from iPhone to external drive.

Zaidy036

Jan 16, 2018, 3:00:38ā€ÆPM1/16/18

Zaidy036

Jan 16, 2018, 3:03:21ā€ÆPM1/16/18

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 3:11:12ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, JF Mezei wrote
(in article <bJs7C.798$Iz2...@fx10.iad>):
I have a 128GB Sandisk iXpand which with their free app, and its UI makes
copying, transfer, and back-up pretty simple. So far it has worked for me.

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand>

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ixpand-drive/id1079870681>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 3:15:12ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Zaidy036 wrote
(in article <p3lll5$4p5$1...@dont-email.me>):
If you want to go wireless.

Just remember who the OP is in all of this, and the individual he is supposed
to be helping is ā€œhighly non-technicalā€, and doesnā€™t own a computer.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

JF Mezei

Jan 16, 2018, 3:21:47ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On 2018-01-16 15:11, Savageduck wrote:

> I have a 128GB Sandisk iXpand which with their free app, and its UI makes
> copying, transfer, and back-up pretty simple. So far it has worked for me.

Thanks. I hadn't considered an "app" as the means to copy the data. The
web page you alluided to speaks only of the camera roll. Can you grant
that app access to other applicatiosn's files as well?

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 3:38:19ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:15:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

>> Or Sandisk ConnectDrive
>> https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick
>
> If you want to go wireless.
>
> Just remember who the OP is in all of this, and the individual he is supposed
> to be helping is +IBw-highly non-technical+IB0-, and doesn+IBk-t own a computer.

Just to be sure, given Savageduck is correct that there is no computer in
this setup (it's an all iOS household of the same people who gifted me my
iPads), can this "Sandisk Connect Driver" go directly from the iPad to the
flash drive on her local LAN?

Or does it require a computer in between?

NOTE: I just realized she has a wireless printer, which "might" have a
flash card in it, so there "may" be a way to go directly to the wireless
printer flash card. But she hasn't used the printer in years (it was a
Christmas gift but she doesn't use it).

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

Drat. It doesn't seem to have a "memory card reader".
<https://www.consumerreports.org/products/all-in-one-printer/hp-officejet-pro-8710-386314/overview/>

But it does seem to have 128MB of "memory", which may be useful for this
task if it's easy to get pictures from iOS to the printer memory.
<http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer>

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 3:39:34ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, JF Mezei wrote
(in article <v9t7C.575455$4Z6.1...@fx41.iad>):
With my iXpand set up I have two-way access to camera roll, video/movies,
music, Audio books, PDFs.

For travel I load some movies and other music, I donā€™t need to keep on my
phone, (video& music will play directly from the iXpand) as well as
providing backup for my iPhone camera roll. It can also be used for a
complete iOS device backup, though I do not use it for that.

This has worked as a redundant photo backup when I use WiFi (and now BT) to
transfer photo files from my camera to either iPhone, or iPad which are set
up to sync from camera roll to Adobe Lightroom CC(Mobile), which in turn
syncs to my desktop Lightroom CC Classic.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 3:54:43ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in article<0001HW.200E9A8000...@news.giganews.com>):

> On Jan 16, 2018, JF Mezei wrote
> (in article <v9t7C.575455$4Z6.1...@fx41.iad>):
>
> > On 2018-01-16 15:11, Savageduck wrote:
> >
> > > I have a 128GB Sandisk iXpand which with their free app, and its UI makes
> > > copying, transfer, and back-up pretty simple. So far it has worked for me.
> >
> > Thanks. I hadn't considered an "app" as the means to copy the data. The
> > web page you alluided to speaks only of the camera roll. Can you grant
> > that app access to other applicatiosn's files as well?
>
> With my iXpand set up I have two-way access to camera roll, video/movies,
> music, Audio books, PDFs.
>
> For travel I load some movies and other music, I donā€™t need to keep on my
> phone, (video& music will play directly from the iXpand) as well as
> providing backup for my iPhone camera roll. It can also be used for a
> complete iOS device backup, though I do not use it for that.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5qged3vxaaimkd/iXpand-01.png>

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 3:56:45ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
(in article <p3lnro$223$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:15:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > > Or Sandisk ConnectDrive
> > > https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick
> >
> > If you want to go wireless.
> >
> > Just remember who the OP is in all of this, and the individual he is
> > supposed to be helping is "highly non-technical", and doesn't own a
> > computer.
>
> Just to be sure, given Savageduck is correct that there is no computer in
> this setup (it's an all iOS household of the same people who gifted me my
> iPads), can this "Sandisk Connect Driver" go directly from the iPad to the
> flash drive on her local LAN?

With the iXpand and app, yes. With the Connect Wireless Stick no.

> Or does it require a computer in between?

With the iXpand and app, no.

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand>

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ixpand-drive/id1079870681>

With the Connect Wireless Stick yes.

> NOTE: I just realized she has a wireless printer, which "might" have a
> flash card in it, so there "may" be a way to go directly to the wireless
> printer flash card. But she hasn't used the printer in years (it was a
> Christmas gift but she doesn't use it).
>
> HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
>
> Drat. It doesn't seem to have a "memory card reader".
> <https://www.consumerreports.org/products/all-in-one-printer/hp-officejet-pro-
> 8710-386314/overview/>
>
> But it does seem to have 128MB of "memory", which may be useful for this
> task if it's easy to get pictures from iOS to the printer memory.
> <http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 4:13:45ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3lnro$223$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> > Just remember who the OP is in all of this, and the individual he is
> > supposed
> > to be helping is +IBw-highly non-technical+IB0-, and doesn+IBk-t own a
> > computer.
>
> Just to be sure, given Savageduck is correct that there is no computer in
> this setup (it's an all iOS household of the same people who gifted me my
> iPads), can this "Sandisk Connect Driver" go directly from the iPad to the
> flash drive on her local LAN?

it plugs into the ipad.

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 4:37:17ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, nospam wrote
(in article<160120181613443066%nos...@nospam.invalid>):
Lightning one end, USB the other.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 4:39:09ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:21:46 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

> Thanks. I hadn't considered an "app" as the means to copy the data. The
> web page you alluided to speaks only of the camera roll. Can you grant
> that app access to other applicatiosn's files as well?

I think you can *only* use the app to access your data, at least it says so
here...

"Thanks to Apple's file system access rules, you can't actually use the
iXpand for additional storage like you would use an OTG drive or even a
microSD card on Android. The iXpand's capacity can be accessed only through
SanDisk's own app. You'll be prompted to download it from the App Store
when you first plug the iXpand into a new device.

As with all other iOS apps, you can copy files to the phone from the iXpand
drive, but they'll live within the app till you use the Share menu, which
creates copies of your files in different apps. Similarly, to get anything
onto the drive from an iOS device, you have to Share it into the iXpand app
and then put it onto the drive.

If you want to play music or movies stored on the iXpand drive, you have to
either do so though the iXpand app or copy them to other apps - note that
you can't copy files into Apple's Music app. However, the iXpand app can
handle tons of file formats including documents, PDFs, photos, videos and
more, so you might not need anything else for quick tasks. If it can't
handle any format, it'll allow you to send that file to any other app."

<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/sandisk-ixpand-flash-drive-gen-2-review-858562>

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 4:39:10ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:56:40 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> With the iXpand and app, no.
> With the Connect Wireless Stick yes.

Thanks.
The Connect Wireless is out of the picture then.

This seems to be a competitor (or maybe the manufacturer):
<https://www.leefco.com/products/leef-ibridge-mobile-memory?variant=40487080912>

Here's a review of iXpand for others to benefit:
<https://www.macrumors.com/review/sandisk-ixpand-usb-3/>
They said it was a little flaky, but that it worked ok.

This review covers the speed in detail:
<https://www.dawnoftech.com/sandisk-ixpand-16gb-usb-3-0lightning-flash-drive-review/>
They didn't like the pricing but were otherwise ok.

This discusses the Generation 1 issues and Generation 2 solution:
<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/sandisk-ixpand-flash-drive-gen-2-review-858562>

It apparently only requires iOS 8.2 and above (based on that report).
The new one doesn't need its own battery either.
And it's faster (USB 3.0).

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 4:40:33ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:13:44 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> Just to be sure, given Savageduck is correct that there is no computer in
>> this setup (it's an all iOS household of the same people who gifted me my
>> iPads), can this "Sandisk Connect Driver" go directly from the iPad to the
>> flash drive on her local LAN?
>
> it plugs into the ipad.

It's wi-fi based on the description I read.
Maybe I read it wrong.

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 4:43:02ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <0001HW.200EA80800...@news.giganews.com>,

> > > Just to be sure, given Savageduck is correct that there is no computer in
> > > this setup (it's an all iOS household of the same people who gifted me my
> > > iPads), can this "Sandisk Connect Driver" go directly from the iPad to the
> > > flash drive on her local LAN?
> >
> > it plugs into the ipad.
>
> Lightning one end, USB the other.

yep, and he'll still turn it into a clusterfuck.

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 4:43:03ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3lrge$7vc$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
you did.

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 4:51:04ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 13:37:12 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Lightning one end, USB the other.

This 64GB WiFi device seems to be WiFi with a flash card inside of it:
<https://www.cnet.com/products/sandisk-connect-wireless-media-drive/review/>

It can be expanded to 192GB with a flash card inserted in it.
It's expensive at $82 and it's slow though, according to that review.

The rechargeable battery only lasts 8 hours in use though.
It can support 8 simultaneous iOS devices.

It uses the SanDisk Media Drive app that is available for iOS.
And only requires iOS 5.1 or later (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch).

I don't see any indication that a computer is required. Do you?

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 4:52:23ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:43:02 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> It's wi-fi based on the description I read.
>> Maybe I read it wrong.
>
> you did.

Then what's the Wi-Fi for?

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 5:12:51ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
(in article <p3ls45$8se$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):
It seems you havenā€™t actually read what I have contributed to this thread.
To clarify, I do not own, or use the Wireless Connect, if you want to go that
route for a user who is highly non-technical, go for it. I do own and use a
128GB Sandisk iXpand which is not WiFi, but connects to iOS devices via
Lightning connector, and if needed, computer via USB.

I suspect my Syracuse education might not be up to your lofty standards, for
you to actually take me seriously. I have provided you with a solution which
works very well for me, you can either accept, or reject it.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 5:32:03ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <0001HW.200EB05E00...@news.giganews.com>,

> > > Lightning one end, USB the other.
> >
> > This 64GB WiFi device seems to be WiFi with a flash card inside of it:
> > <https://www.cnet.com/products/sandisk-connect-wireless-media-drive/review/>
> >
> > It can be expanded to 192GB with a flash card inserted in it.
> > It's expensive at $82 and it's slow though, according to that review.
> >
> > The rechargeable battery only lasts 8 hours in use though.
> > It can support 8 simultaneous iOS devices.
> >
> > It uses the SanDisk Media Drive app that is available for iOS.
> > And only requires iOS 5.1 or later (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch).
> >
> > I don't see any indication that a computer is required. Do you?
>
> It seems you havenŔt actually read what I have contributed to this thread.

were you seriously expecting something else??

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 5:32:04ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3ls6k$8vs$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> >> It's wi-fi based on the description I read.
> >> Maybe I read it wrong.
> >
> > you did.
>
> Then what's the Wi-Fi for?

solely to confuse you. no other reason.

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 5:48:02ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:12:46 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> It seems you haven+IBk-t actually read what I have contributed to this thread.

I read everything you posted, and I went to the *links* you provided.

> To clarify, I do not own, or use the Wireless Connect, if you want to go that
> route for a user who is highly non-technical, go for it.

I agree with you and already agreed with you, that the simple lightning
connector is the simplest.

There are gotchas, which I didn't know existed until I saw its limitations
though, which is that this person has 4 iOS devices, and a Nook, where one
is a 30-pin iOS 5.1.1 iPad, another is a 30-pin iOS 9.x iPad, while the
other two are a modern iPhone and iPad with lightning connectors.

I didn't know that until I doublechecked just now what she had.

She's *extremely* non technical, so, I agree with you that Wi-Fi may very
well be out of her league. I'm not here to argue (that's nospam's purpose).

I agree with you and never didn't agree with you.

> I do own and use a
> 128GB Sandisk iXpand which is not WiFi, but connects to iOS devices via
> Lightning connector, and if needed, computer via USB.

Yes. I understood that completely.
It's nospam who seems to be confused - I understood that it's a physical
connection - and I also understood that this is the simplest.

I also read that the manufacturer does not recommend the
30-pin-to-lightning connector adaptors, but, that they might work, but only
on the three devices that are above iOS 8.x (and not on the one 30-ping iOS
device forever stuck on iOS 5.1.1).

> I suspect my Syracuse education might not be up to your lofty standards, for
> you to actually take me seriously. I have provided you with a solution which
> works very well for me, you can either accept, or reject it.

Not only did I completely understand you (remember, it's nospam who is here
looking for a fight - not me) but I researched everything you said, and
googled for reviews and found alternatives that are similar.

It's someone else (Zaidy036) who brought up the WiFi connected ones, which
have certain advantages and disadvantages.

I don't get confused by the two different devices like nospam does.

There are essentially two types of devices:
a. The type Savageduck recommended (physical)
b. The type Zaidy036 recommended (wi-fi)

Each has its own advantage and disadvantages, but for *simplicity*, you
can't beat physical, but for functionality, you can't beat the Wi-Fi.

Two different things.
Nobody but nospam said otherwise, least of all me (or you).

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 5:56:34ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:32:03 -0500, nospam wrote:

> solely to confuse you. no other reason.

Write back when you're *not* looking for a fight.
I'm not interested in your silly games.

There are two types of devices which might work for this iOS user.
1. Physical
2. Wi-Fi

The physical devices (recommended by Savageduck) have huge advantages in
simplicity, while the wi-fi devices (recommended by Zaidy036) have huge
advantages in functionality.

This particular use needs both, unfortunately - since she is extremely non
technical (it took fifteen minutes over the phone to get her to get the
Airport Utility to work so she could check her WiFi signal strength, for
example).

She also has four iOS devices, no computer, and a Nook.
1. Modern iPhone (I think it's the iPhone 7 on the latest iOS)
2. Modern iPad (I think it's the mini on the latest iOS)
3. Older iPad (30-pin, it's on iOS 9.x)
4. Even older iPad (30-pin, it's stuck forever on iOS 5.1.1)

She probably takes all the defaults, so she's probably syncing to the
iCloud, so that might be an option for file transfer, but she has nothing
to transfer files to since she ditched her computers long ago when she got
her first iPad and loved it.

So she's a 100% iOS household, and simply needs a place to offload files as
her iPads are getting full.

You can go ahead and play your silly games, but I'm not going to respond to
a single one of your posts in this thread again unless and until you decide
to be helpful and not trying to stir up the pot in every post of yours.

Right now, there are two viable choices, each of which has pros and cons:
1. Physical (as suggested by Savageduck, whose pro is simplicity)
2. Wi-Fi (as suggested by Zaidy036, whose pro is functionality)

The good news is that everyone can benefit from this information, if they
don't already know it.

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 6:49:36ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3lvus$e71$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> I'm not interested in your silly games.

they're not my games.

you ask a question, it gets answered, then you twist it into something
it isn't and/or change the parameters of the question (as you did here)
so you can go apeshit and insult people.

> There are two types of devices which might work for this iOS user.
> 1. Physical
> 2. Wi-Fi

actually, there are more options.

> The physical devices (recommended by Savageduck) have huge advantages in
> simplicity, while the wi-fi devices (recommended by Zaidy036) have huge
> advantages in functionality.
>
> This particular use needs both,

no it doesn't.

> unfortunately - since she is extremely non
> technical (it took fifteen minutes over the phone to get her to get the
> Airport Utility to work so she could check her WiFi signal strength, for
> example).

unfortunately, it's the blind leading the blind.

the wifi signal strength is in the status bar for all to see. there is
no need to download and install an app.

the *best* solution is have her go to an apple store, where they'll
happily help her, and unlike you, they know what they're doing.

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 6:56:49ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
(in article <p3lvev$dgn$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:12:46 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > It seems you haven't actually read what I have contributed to this
> > thread.
>
> I read everything you posted, and I went to the *links* you provided.
>
> > To clarify, I do not own, or use the Wireless Connect, if you want to go
> > that route for a user who is highly non-technical, go for it.
>
> I agree with you and already agreed with you, that the simple lightning
> connector is the simplest.
>
> There are gotchas, which I didn't know existed until I saw its limitations
> though, which is that this person has 4 iOS devices, and a Nook, where one
> is a 30-pin iOS 5.1.1 iPad, another is a 30-pin iOS 9.x iPad, while the
> other two are a modern iPhone and iPad with lightning connectors.
>
> I didn't know that until I doublechecked just now what she had.

That raises a bunch of issues some of which are not solvable without access
to a computer.

I am not even going to try to address the nook.

The two legacy 30-pin iPads have few to zero options without an computer. Did
this non-technical individual ever have a backup plan for those?

The Lightning iPad & iPhone can be serviced with an iXpand of appropriate
size

> She's *extremely* non technical, so, I agree with you that Wi-Fi may very
> well be out of her league. I'm not here to argue (that's nospam's purpose).
>
> I agree with you and never didn't agree with you.

OK.

> > I do own and use a 128GB Sandisk iXpand which is not WiFi, but connects to iOS devices via
> > Lightning connector, and if needed, computer via USB.
>
> Yes. I understood that completely.
> It's nospam who seems to be confused - I understood that it's a physical
> connection - and I also understood that this is the simplest.
>
> I also read that the manufacturer does not recommend the
> 30-pin-to-lightning connector adaptors, but, that they might work, but only
> on the three devices that are above iOS 8.x (and not on the one 30-ping iOS
> device forever stuck on iOS 5.1.1).

I have my doubts that the 30-pin to Lightning adaptor would work for several
reasons. I have one of those adaptors together with the 30-pin Camera Kit (an
SD Card, and a USB module) and they will only work to connect a powered
camera, or an SD card, and that set up will only transfer photo files (JPEG,
not RAW) to the iOS device. There is no two way communication. Also the
SanDisk app is not supported by the legacy iOS.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5lkrszr1zg3678/CameraKit%2BL.jpeg>

> > I suspect my Syracuse education might not be up to your lofty standards, for
> > you to actually take me seriously. I have provided you with a solution which
> > works very well for me, you can either accept, or reject it.
>
> Not only did I completely understand you (remember, it's nospam who is here
> looking for a fight - not me) but I researched everything you said, and
> googled for reviews and found alternatives that are similar.
>
> It's someone else (Zaidy036) who brought up the WiFi connected ones, which
> have certain advantages and disadvantages.
>
> I don't get confused by the two different devices like nospam does.
>
> There are essentially two types of devices:
> a. The type Savageduck recommended (physical)
> b. The type Zaidy036 recommended (wi-fi)
>
> Each has its own advantage and disadvantages, but for *simplicity*, you
> can't beat physical, but for functionality, you can't beat the Wi-Fi.
>
> Two different things.
> Nobody but nospam said otherwise, least of all me (or you).

You, and nospam can hash that out.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 7:14:42ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:56:43 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> That raises a bunch of issues some of which are not solvable without access
> to a computer.

Thanks for understanding the situation.

Yup. It's easy if we just do the two newer iOS devices which are both on
iOS 11.x and which both have the lightning connector.

It looks like there are two brands of physical connection devices.
1. Sandisk
2. Leefco

There seem to be at last two different Sandisk types of wifi devices also:
1. Sandisk CONNECT WIRELESS STICK
2. SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Each has advantages and disadvantages.

It seems nopspam says "actually there are more options" but he never
elucidates them, so we can never tell when he's just flipping a coin or
telling the truth.

> I am not even going to try to address the nook.

Me neither. I simply asked her on the phone what she had.

> The two legacy 30-pin iPads have few to zero options without an computer.

I agree that it's "few" options, but not zero.

The Sandisk wifi device said it goes down to iOS 5.1 so that might cover
both the 30-pin iOS devices because one is iOS 5.1.1 and the other is 9.x.

But I agree the physical lightning connector wouldn't likely work, even
with an adapter (and it said that an adaptor was iffy in the review).

Even so, the physical device's software only goes to 8.x, so the oldest
iPad would be out of the picture on the physical device even with the
30-pint to lightning adapter.

I agree. You understood all this. So do I.

> Did
> this non-technical individual ever have a backup plan for those?

I very much doubt it. She is extremely non technical. I don't even know if
she's backing up the the cloud, but probably is doing whatever happens if
you do nothing to change the defaults.

> The Lightning iPad & iPhone can be serviced with an iXpand of appropriate
> size

Yes. I understand. Thanks. It's a nice option because it's SIMPLE.
And simple is good for this person.

> I have my doubts that the 30-pin to Lightning adaptor would work for several
> reasons. I have one of those adaptors together with the 30-pin Camera Kit (an
> SD Card, and a USB module) and they will only work to connect a powered
> camera, or an SD card, and that set up will only transfer photo files (JPEG,
> not RAW) to the iOS device. There is no two way communication. Also the
> SanDisk app is not supported by the legacy iOS.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5lkrszr1zg3678/CameraKit%2BL.jpeg>

I agree with you. It's a risk that isn't worth taking.
1. The Sandisk software wont' work on the oldest iOS device, on iOS 5.1.1
2. The Sandisk software works on iOS 9.x devices, but the 30-pin won't work
3. The physical device *will* work on the two newer iOS devices though

>> Nobody but nospam said otherwise, least of all me (or you).
>
> You, and nospam can hash that out.

Naaah. He just wants to argue. I'm not going to respond to him in this
thread unless and until he decides to be helpful, since everyone else
doesn't want to read his crap either.

Thanks for your advice. I think I have a good handle on the possible
solutions now. I just need to find which has the best price to performance
given that it's a tradeoff between ease of use and functionality no matter
which method (physical or wifi) we choose to give her.

dorayme

Jan 16, 2018, 7:19:26ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <0001HW.200EB05E00...@news.giganews.com>,

> On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
> (in article <p3ls45$8se$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):

[the usual crap]

> I suspect my Syracuse education might not be up to your lofty standards, for
> you to actually take me seriously. I have provided you with a solution which
> works very well for me, you can either accept, or reject it.

Small voice from the back of the class: "I accept it SD! And a very
interesting solution to some of my own problems and that of a partner.
Thanks!"

--
dorayme

joe

Jan 16, 2018, 7:21:24ā€ÆPM1/16/18
You haven't said what is filling those devices. If it is all photos and
videos taken with the devices. Then there may be other solutions.

An easy solution may be just to procure a low cost notebook, connect the
devices and offload the pictures. An alternative may be to find someone
nearby who would be willing to help. To do this does not require iTunes.

Linking iTunes to these devices will likely reset them freeing lots of
storage, but you probably don't want that to happen.

If the devices are filled with emails or apps or data associated with
apps, then there may be more work. Data associated with apps may be
emailed and then removed once the emails have been received on another
device.

If numerous apps are filling the devices, perhaps some can be deleted.

The version of iOS may also allow additional data to be copied to a PC.
What may be done could vary with the iOS version.

Filling multiple devices without a plan to manage the data is a user
generated issue. Now may be the time to create a plan to correct the
current situation and consider future management of data.

But, without more detail about what is filling the devices, it is hard
to give more specific suggestions.

dorayme

Jan 16, 2018, 7:22:24ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <160120181849354153%nos...@nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <p3lvus$e71$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
> <har...@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not interested in your silly games.
>
> they're not my games.

Yes, they are you, dipstick. Uou wait to pounce on this idiot at every
stage, goading him and giving yourself space for your silly games. The
more intelligent and mature and less autistic on this group will see
this. Jesus!

--
dorayme

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 7:26:32ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3m4he$lac$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> It seems nopspam says "actually there are more options" but he never
> elucidates them

i already gave one option, which not surprisingly, you ignored.

history has shown that you aren't actually interested obtaining help
because you ignore just about every good suggestion, settling for the
most fucked up convoluted method possible, and then rant about how
horrible ios is, when the offered solutions are so easy that a cat
could do it.

Harold Newton

Jan 16, 2018, 9:02:09ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:21:22 -0600, joe wrote:

> You haven't said what is filling those devices. If it is all photos and
> videos taken with the devices. Then there may be other solutions.

I don't have access to the devices as they're in another state, but she
mentioned photos, books, & email (which I thought was odd since email is
Gmail which should be stored on the server using IMAP by default).

Surprisingly she didn't mention videos, but she does read books voraciously
(at least five books a week), so whatever format they're in, they're
probably taking up space.

> An easy solution may be just to procure a low cost notebook, connect the
> devices and offload the pictures. An alternative may be to find someone
> nearby who would be willing to help. To do this does not require iTunes.

Understood. Completely understand. It would be what I would do for me, as
the computer can hold as many USB drives as we want. Also we can likely
hang a USB drive off her router if it's a modern router (dunno).

Has anyone here ever copied an iOS picture or book file to a USB drive
hanging off a router?

> Linking iTunes to these devices will likely reset them freeing lots of
> storage, but you probably don't want that to happen.

I don't think she has anything against iTunes as she's as typical an iOS
user as they come. Apple product were designed for people like her. I think
Steve Jobs knows her better than I do.

So I think she'd use iTunes. She uses all the Apple defaults.
She has friends who have iTunes so she can maybe borrow their iTunes on
their computers.

> If the devices are filled with emails or apps or data associated with
> apps, then there may be more work. Data associated with apps may be
> emailed and then removed once the emails have been received on another
> device.

I think, from what she said, "books" might be associated with apps.
(I don't do books electronically so I'm not sure what that means.)

> If numerous apps are filling the devices, perhaps some can be deleted.

I have seen, long ago, her app screen, which goes on for pages upon pages
upon pages upon pages. I tried to get her to organize them into a single
page but she wanted it that way, but it takes her fifteen minutes to find
an app. You should see how difficult it was just to get her to get the
simple Airport Wi-Fi utility to work.

She can never find an app when she needs to, so I'm sure she can delete a
ton, but she's likely afraid to delete them based on my experience with
her.

> The version of iOS may also allow additional data to be copied to a PC.
> What may be done could vary with the iOS version.

She has four iOS devices:
1. Old iPad forever on iOS 5.1.1 (30-pin connector)
2. Old iPad on iOS 9.x (30-pin connector)
3. Newer iPad on iOS 11.current (lightning connector)
4. Newer iPhone on iOS 11.current (lightning connector)

> Filling multiple devices without a plan to manage the data is a user
> generated issue. Now may be the time to create a plan to correct the
> current situation and consider future management of data.

I think she's a pretty typical iOS user in that she puts data wherever the
app wants it to go and she loads apps and the icons go wherever they want
to go and she reads email and it goes wherever it wants to go.

I'm pretty sure she's using default settings for everything.
I doubt she has any plan whatsoever for where her data goes.

In fact, I'm sure of it.

> But, without more detail about what is filling the devices, it is hard
> to give more specific suggestions.

We can only assume pictures, "books", and "email".
We can only assume she is an exact perfectly typical iOS user.
She *loves* Apple products (and she was in the gang that gave me iPads
hoping that I'd love them too!). That's how much she loves them.

But I doubt she has thought one bit about her data until her memory storage
filled up.

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 9:08:19ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3maqn$s0l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Harold Newton
<har...@example.com> wrote:

> I have seen, long ago, her app screen, which goes on for pages upon pages
> upon pages upon pages. I tried to get her to organize them into a single
> page but she wanted it that way,

it's *her* device, not yours, and she gets to organize it any way she
wants.

> but it takes her fifteen minutes to find
> an app.

bullshit. spotlight can find it instantly.

> You should see how difficult it was just to get her to get the
> simple Airport Wi-Fi utility to work.

you said she had to download it.

it also wasn't needed to do what you claimed.

Zaidy036

Jan 16, 2018, 9:45:20ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On 1/16/2018 1:29 PM, Harold Newton wrote:
> What's an appropriate way for a highly non-technical person to offload
> storage from an iPad & iPhone directly to a 64GB USB flash drive?
>
> I just got a phone call from someone who has used up most of her storage
> space on her iPads (her iPhone is new) where she does not own a computer
> but we can mail her a 64GB USB flash drive for each iPad.
>
> What's an appropriate technique and necessary equipment to get iOS to just
> transfer files directly to a USB flash drive for a highly non technical
> person who doesn't own a computer?

**Anything** purchased for free or money from the Apple Store will
always be available to be downloaded again so they can be safely deleted
from an iPad or iPhone.

The same goes for books on the Kindle App. Delete them from the app and
they can be downloaded again.
--
Zaidy036

Savageduck

Jan 16, 2018, 9:57:12ā€ÆPM1/16/18
On Jan 16, 2018, Harold Newton wrote
(in article <p3maqn$s0l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:21:22 -0600, joe wrote:
>
> > You haven't said what is filling those devices. If it is all photos and
> > videos taken with the devices. Then there may be other solutions.
>
> I don't have access to the devices as they're in another state, but she
> mentioned photos, books, & email (which I thought was odd since email is
> Gmail which should be stored on the server using IMAP by default).

If she is using Gmail she should be able to archive to the server.

> Surprisingly she didn't mention videos, but she does read books voraciously
> (at least five books a week), so whatever format they're in, they're
> probably taking up space.
>
> > An easy solution may be just to procure a low cost notebook, connect the
> > devices and offload the pictures. An alternative may be to find someone
> > nearby who would be willing to help. To do this does not require iTunes.
>
> Understood. Completely understand. It would be what I would do for me, as
> the computer can hold as many USB drives as we want. Also we can likely
> hang a USB drive off her router if it's a modern router (dunno).

I have had a USB HDD connected to a router, but not currently. There is still
the issue of iOS device and USB drive interacting without appropriate
intermediate software. However, there might be a solution with something such
as a WD My Cloud drivewith would have appropriate iOS software. The only
issue with that is she would need some hand holding to get her up and
running.

<https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html>

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wd-my-cloud/id450655672>

> Has anyone here ever copied an iOS picture or book file to a USB drive
> hanging off a router?
>
> > Linking iTunes to these devices will likely reset them freeing lots of
> > storage, but you probably don't want that to happen.
>
> I don't think she has anything against iTunes as she's as typical an iOS
> user as they come. Apple product were designed for people like her. I think
> Steve Jobs knows her better than I do.
>
> So I think she'd use iTunes. She uses all the Apple defaults.
> She has friends who have iTunes so she can maybe borrow their iTunes on
> their computers.

That will ultimately create issues.

> > If the devices are filled with emails or apps or data associated with
> > apps, then there may be more work. Data associated with apps may be
> > emailed and then removed once the emails have been received on another
> > device.
>
> I think, from what she said, "books" might be associated with apps.
> (I don't do books electronically so I'm not sure what that means.)

To start with she has a Nook which is a Barnes & Noble proprietary device
which should have all purchases, and/or rentals linked to her B&N account.
Those should all be archivable, and recoverable.

Then she might have the iOS Kindle app, as do I, and all of those book
purchases, and/or subscriptions, are documented by Amazon, they are
recoverable, and synced between devices which share the account.

If she has purchased books via Appleā€™s iBooks the same is true, she can
delete them from her various devices and redownload them if she ever chooses
to reread any of them. They will also be synced between any iOS devices
sharing the same AppleID account.

If she has books as PDFs she can archive those to either an iXpand or some
sort of NAS drive.
Sigh...

--

Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Jan 16, 2018, 9:58:12ā€ÆPM1/16/18
In article <p3mdbv$rte$1...@dont-email.me>, Zaidy036 <Zaid...@isp.spam>
wrote:

> **Anything** purchased for free or money from the Apple Store will
> always be available to be downloaded again so they can be safely deleted
> from an iPad or iPhone.

in some cases the system will delete and restore content as needed
without the user even noticing.

> The same goes for books on the Kindle App. Delete them from the app and
> they can be downloaded again.

yep.

Harold Newton

Jan 17, 2018, 10:00:20ā€ÆAM1/17/18
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 21:45:20 -0500, Zaidy036 wrote:

> **Anything** purchased for free or money from the Apple Store will
> always be available to be downloaded again so they can be safely deleted
> from an iPad or iPhone.
>
> The same goes for books on the Kindle App. Delete them from the app and
> they can be downloaded again.

Thanks for that advice.
I called her this morning (she's an early morning type) and asked a few
more questions.

She doesn't know what the iCloud does for her so we can safely assume that
it has been in the default settings for whatever that helps her.

She has never implemented a specific backup strategy.

She's been deleting apps since yesterday, and she said the camera must have
been on a 'burst' type of mode because she deleted a lot of duplicates.

She has zero movies. And lots of mail.

That's all I know as I had to do other things.
But thanks for letting me know she'll be fine on her apps.

She likely paid for a few, but she wouldn't be deleting them.
Her bill is paid for by someone else, so she doesn't really keep track of
that stuff - she downloads what she wants to download so it's good to know
she won't lose anything she already paid for.

Thanks for the helpful advice, and expecially for bringing up the wifi
option, which has merits (in functionality) and demerits (in presumed
complexity).

Thanks! I think I have a good handle on the problem set for her now, as I
would just put it all on a computer -but that's not an option for her so
her problem is different than what I would do for my backup strategy.

Arlen Holder

Sep 24, 2019, 2:50:25ā€ÆAM9/24/19
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:07:56 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> Do you keep most of your photographs and videos in your iPhone like a
>> digital hoarder? Just wondering. :)
>
> Iphone, iPad, MacBook Air und MacBook Pro have all pix on the device and
> in addition in the iCloud as well as in Time Machine.
> At the moment we talk about 35K pictures.

One of the best ways to offload iPad storage, is to simply use the iPad
as a USB stick, where you can easily transfer directly from the iPad
to almost anything, over USB, if you know how (and if you do NOT install
the iTunes abomination, which even Apple has deprecated).

o I use my WiFi iOS 11.x iPad as a 128GB smart USB stick for movies.
o And, as a videotaping platform for capturing technology lectures.

Hence...
1. I often slide feature length movies to the iPad over USB
2. In addition, I directly capture technology lectures on the iPad
3. And, of course, I snap lecture whiteboard photos on the iPad

All are stored on the iPad only until I need space for more.
o Then I simply slide all captured files to Windows over USB
o Where I often slide the huge files from iOS to USB stick over USB
o Or, I directly burn smaller videos/image folders to DVD (but rarely).

I can even slide the files from the iPad
o Directly to Linux, Windows, or Android, sans the iTunes abomination
o Or even directly to another USB stick
o Or, if desired, to DVD (although it's usually too puny nowadays)

Given app functionality of the phablet kills that of the iPad,
the 128GB iPad mainly serves two fundamental functions:
a. It's a smart USB stick that can spap pictures & record videos
b. It's a smart USB stick that can play feature-length movies

Using any desktop on the planet, if it's properly set up
o WITHOUT the iTunes abomination, of course.