How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 20, 2018, 8:47:34 PM9/20/18
How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as
a free USB stick (read & write)?

*I use my iOS devices as a free r/w USB stick anytime I want.*
*I also archive iOS files to USB sticks and other drives, at will.*
- Windows
- Linux
- Android
- iOS
- Cameras
- USB sticks
- USB drives
- DVD
- etc.

Just slide off the iOS device onto the archival media, or, slide from any
other device (e.g., movies) onto the iOS device.

*It's that easy.*
a. Read access anywhere on the visible file system (e.g., not just DCIM)
b. Write access anywhere on the visible file system (e.g., not just VLC)

For free.
Sans a single bit of software not part of the original operating systems.
Hint: No Orwellian restricted iTunes abomination necessary, nor desired.

It's so simple, it's brilliant.
A. I plug in an iOS device (any device, any number of them)
B. I plug in an Android device (any device, any number of them)
C. I boot the desktop, which mounts all 4 filesystems simultaneously!
1. Linux (via ntfs)
2. Windows (via ntfs)
3. Android (via mtpfs)
4. iOS (via iOSfs)

Since the file systems are all mounted simultaneously, I slide thousands of
pictures or scores of movies at will between devices, using each mobile
device, essentially, as a USB stick.

It would work the same with *anything* plugged into the USB port (e.g.,
cameras & other USB sticks) and with DVD drives (if you're still using
them).

This is great for archival purposes, and to download movies that you
obtained on the desktop (which can torrent, for example).

It's so simple, powerful, flexible, & free ... it's brilliant.

*How do you manage to use your iOS device as a free USB stick?*
--
HINT: You can't.

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 22, 2018, 12:46:17 PM9/22/18
While Apple Apologists proved they're not technically competent (hence, they
can only play silly games), & since "joe" proved he *"just gave up"* as
soon as he ran into even the most minor of technical hurdles (crying like a
baby), this morning I compiled this tutorial from sources on the web kindly
provided by technically competent adults such as Wolffan, Mike Easter,
Aragorn, & Paul.

How to read & write to HFS+ partitions by booting to Ubuntu (on the Mac)
!!!WIP ... Untested! ... Preliminary - for review!!!

Please improve so that everyone benefits from every action by each of us.
Your choice (works both ways):
a. Journaling disabled
b. Journaling enabled
Read/Write access to a non-journaled HFS+ drive.

1. Plug in the external HFS+ non-journeled drive into Ubuntu.
2. Ubuntu mounts the HFS+ drive automatically as read-only.
$ mount -l
Your HFS+ device should show up as /dev/sdx
If the drive doesn't automatically mount, mount the HFS+ drive:
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sdx# /media/mntpoint
3. Click the eject button in file explorer to unmount the drive.
4. Install hfsprogs.
$ sudo apt-get install hfsprogs
5. Optional: Check the drive.
$ sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdXY
6. Click on the drive in the file explorer to remount the drive as r/w:
Note: To manually remount the HFS+ drive:
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o remount,force,rw /dev/sdx# /mount/point
Read/Write access to a journaled HFS+ drive.

1. Plug in the external HFS+ non-journeled drive into Ubuntu.
2. Ubuntu mounts the HFS+ drive automatically as read-only.
$ mount -l
Your HFS+ device should show up as /dev/sdx
If the drive doesn't automatically mount, mount the HFS+ drive:
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sdx# /media/mntpoint
3. Click the eject button in file explorer to unmount the drive.
4. Install hfsprogs.
$ sudo apt-get install hfsprogs
5. Optional: Check the drive.
$ sudo fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sdXY
6. Click on the drive in the file explorer to remount the drive as r/w:
Note: To manually remount the HFS+ drive:
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o remount,force,rw /dev/sdx# /mount/point
To read/write on the Mac users' home folder, simply match the User ID:

1. On OS/X, check your UID (typically the default is UID 501):
OS/X: System Preferences > your username > Advanced Options

2. Boot into Ubuntu & add a temp user of the same UID as found above:
$ sudo useradd -d /home/tempuser -m -s /bin/bash -G admin tempuser
$ sudo passwd tempuser
$ sudo usermod --uid 501 yourusername
$ sudo chown -R 501:yourusername /home/yourusername

You can now read & write to both your Mac and Linux user's home folder,
no matter which OS you're logged into.

3. Optionally, add the new user of UID 501 to the Ubuntu login screen:
By default, Ubuntu doesn't list users of UID less than 1000 on the
login screen, where this command changes that default value:

$ gksudo gedit /etc/login.defs
Simply change the value of UID_MIN from 1000 to 501
To turn off HFS+ journaling from the Mac

1. Boot into OS X and fire up the Disk Utility.
2. Click on your HFS partition, hold the Option key, and click File
3. A new option to Disable Journaling will come up in the menu.
4. When you reboot to Linux, it will mount the HFS+ drive r/w automatically
To turn off HFS+ journaling from within Ubuntu

1. Compile disable_journal.c to disable_journal.out
$ gcc -o disable_journal disable_journal.c
2. Run the program to disable journaling.
$ sudo ./disable_journal.out /dev/sdXX
where /dev/sdXX is the partition you wish to mount.
3. Then mount the HFS+ drive using the following:
$ sudo mount -t hfsplus -o rw,user /dev/sdXX /media/hfspart

--- cut here for disable_journal.c ---
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <byteswap.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int fd = open(argv[1], O_RDWR);
if(fd < 0) {
perror("open");
return -1;
}

unsigned char *buffer = (unsigned char *)mmap(NULL, 2048, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
if(buffer == (unsigned char*)0xffffffff) {
perror("mmap");
return -1;
}

if((buffer[1024] != 'H') && (buffer[1025] != '+')) {
fprintf(stderr, "%s: HFS+ signature not found -- aborting.\n", argv[0]);
return -1;
}

unsigned long attributes = *(unsigned long *)(&buffer[1028]);
attributes = bswap_32(attributes);
printf("attributes = 0x%8.8lx\n", attributes);

if(!(attributes & 0x00002000)) {
printf("kHFSVolumeJournaledBit not currently set in the volume attributes field.\n");
}

attributes &= 0xffffdfff;
attributes = bswap_32(attributes);
*(unsigned long *)(&buffer[1028]) = attributes;

buffer[1032] = '1';
buffer[1033] = '0';
buffer[1034] = '.';
buffer[1035] = '0';

buffer[1036] = 0;
buffer[1037] = 0;
buffer[1038] = 0;
buffer[1039] = 0;

printf("journal has been disabled.\n");
return 0;
}
--- cut here for disable_journal.c ---
For commercial solutions:
1. Paragon has an extension for full read/write access to NTFS & HFS+ volumes
<https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-linux-professional/>
NOTE: They have a freeware version available for non-commercial use.

2. Paragon has an add-on extension for full APFS (read-write access)
<https://www.paragon-software.com/business/apfs-linux/>

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 22, 2018, 3:54:20 PM9/22/18
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 16:46:17 -0000 (UTC), Arlen H. Holder wrote:
While Apple Apologists like "joe" cry like babies whenever they interface
with the real world (Hint: They are used to "just giving up"), on the adult
newsgroups, we solve _every_ cross-platform problem we run into.

HINT: The minor hurdles that make Apple Apologists like "joe" cry like
babies are nothing to intelligent adults, who simply solve the issues.

Proof below...
How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable

Please improve so that all benefit from your efforts.
The purpose of this apnote is to test read/write access to non-jailbroken
iOS devices over USB cable using a dual-boot Windows10/Ubuntu18.04 PC.

The goal is read/write access to the iOS device's visible file system
to *both* Windows & Ubuntu, via the Linux file explorer & command line.

Note that the iTunes abomination will *never* be installed on these PCs!

Both Windows and Linux are *native* (i.e., zero additional software is
needed for full read/write access to the entire visible file system of
the iOS device. Everything is on the native operating system!)
Section I: Native Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop
0. Check what's installed natively when the iOS device is NOT connected:
a. Boot to Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios000.jpg>
b. Ensure ifuse and libimobiledevice-utils do not exist
$ which ifuse
(reports nothing)
$ which ideviceinfo
(reports nothing)
c. Note that libimobiledevice is installed, by default
$ sudo updateb
$ locate libimobiledevice
(reports stuff)

Apparently libimobiledevice is native, but not ifuse, nor are the
libimobiledevice-utils such as idevicepair & icevicesyslog, etc.

$ ifuse
Command 'ifuse' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install ifuse

$ ideviceinfo
Command 'ideviceinfo' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install libimobiledevice-utils
1. Plug in an iOS device either before or after Ubuntu 18.04 has booted:
a. When you plug in the iPad for the first time, the iPad will ask:
"Trust this computer?"
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios010.jpg>
Note: You won't see this message again after the first time.
Note that when you plug into Windows, you get a different message:
"Allow this device to access photos and videos?"
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios020.jpg>
b. Notice two new icons show up on the desktop:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios030.jpg>
- iPad [a digital SLR icon]
(DCIM, read only, no thumbs)
- Documents on myipad [a monitor & keyboard icon]
(private space of the "good" apps, read/write, no thumbs)
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios040.jpg>
c. Notice there is no Downloads yet
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios050.jpg>
d. Notice there are no thumbnails yet
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios060.jpg>
e. Notice you can only read from the DCIM directory tree.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg>
f. Notice you can write to the private space of the good apps
(Namely: Adobe Acrobat, Excel, FileExplorer, GarageBand,
iMovie, Keynote, MFExplorer, MinimaList, NewsTapLite, Numbers,
Pages, PowerPoint, QuickSupport, RManager, SMBManager, Topo Reader,
VLC, Voice Recorder, WiFi HD, Word)
<iosxxx>
g. Determine your iOS device 40-hex-character serial number:
$ dmesg|grep SerialNumber:
SerialNumber: 6ee7ab2fa479394be85da7cb4aefc5d8b11b6f82
<iosxxx>
Note:
Rightclick in the VLC directory & select "Open in Terminal".
$ pwd
/run/user/1000/gvfs/afc:hose=<40char>,port=3/org.videolan.vlc-ios
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios170.jpg>

Note: You can now copy any iOS device file over to Ubuntu or Windows.
Caveat: See addendum on Ubuntu mounting of Windows partitions below.
2. Determine the iOS name of the folders that you want read/write access
to:
a. Put your mouse cursor in "Documents on myipad" & press <Control+L>
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios080.jpg>
b. This reports the true path to the "Documents on myipad" folder:
afc://6ee7ab2fa479394be85da7cb4aefc5d8b11b6f82
afc://<40-hex-character-unique-serial-number>:3/
Note: If you put it in VLC you get
afc://6ee7ab2fa479394be85da7cb4aefc5d8b11b6f82:3/org.videolan.vlc-ios
c. Put your mouse cursor in DCIM and press control L
d. This reports the true path to the "DCIM" folder:
gphoto2://%5Busb%3A001,002%5D/DCIM
Note: If you put it in 101Apple you get
gphoto2://%5Busb%3A001,002%5D/DCIM/101APPLE

Note: You can now copy any iOS device file over to Ubuntu or Windows.
Caveat: See addendum on Ubuntu automounting of Windows partitions.
3. Enable write access to both the DCIM & Downloads folders (among others):
a. Remove the ":3/" and put it in the space that Control L was in.
afc://6ee7ab2fa479394be85da7cb4aefc5d8b11b6f82
b. Notice a *new* Desktop icon shows up, named "myipad".
c. Notice you now have read/writeaccess to DCIM & Downloads (plus
others).
Namely: Books,DCIM,Downloads,iMazing,iTunes_Control,MediaAnalysis,
PhotoData,Photos,PublicStaging,Purchases
d. Notice that the "iPad" mount is still read only (which doesn't
matter).
e. Notice that you have no thumbnails anywhere.

Note: Rightclick in the DCIM directory & select "Open in Terminal".
$ pwd
/run/user/1000/gvfs/gphoto2:hose=%5Busb%3A001%2C002%5D/DCIM

Note: You can now copy any iOS device file over to Ubuntu or Windows.
Caveat: See addendum on Ubuntu mounting of Windows partitions below.
Section II: Adding ifuse & libimobiledevice-info to Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop

NOTE: This is optional! Adding these only adds minor capabilities that
wasn't already in the native operating system commands above.
4. Install the ifuse iOS file system to run in the background on Ubuntu:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios100.jpg>
a. Optionally, update and upgrade your system:
$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios090.jpg>
b. Install the ifuse iOS file system on Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt install ifuse
c. Look at the ifuse help
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios110.jpg>
$ which ifuse
/usr/bin/ifuse
$ ifuse --help
Usage: ifuse MOUNTPOINT [OPTIONS]
Mount directories of an iOS device locally using fuse.
-o === mount options
-u === mount specific device by its 40-digit device UDID
-d === enable libimobiledevice communication debugging
-- root === mount root file system (jailbroken device required)
-- documents APPID === mount 'Documents' folder of identified app
-- container APPID === mount sandbox root of identified app
5. EXAMPLE 1: Mount the entire iOS visible file system on Ubuntu:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios120.jpg>
a. Create a mount point directory for your iOS files
$ mkdir -p $HOME/data/iosfs
b. Access the iOS device via $HOME/data/iosfs
$ ifuse $HOME/data/iosfs
c. This immediately puts an "iosfs" icon on the Desktop.
d. Notice you have write access to the iOS Downloads & DCIM (& others).
Namely: Books,DCIM,Downloads,iMazing,iTunes_Control,MediaAnalysis,
PhotoData,Photos,PublicStaging,Purchases
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios130.jpg>
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios140.jpg>
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios150.jpg>
e. Notice you now have thumbnails.
f. Notice you have all the power of Linux, on your iOS device now.

To unmount:
$ fusermount -u $HOME/data/iosfs
6. EXAMPLE 2: Mount the iOS device by its unique 40-hex-character UDID:
a. Copy the serial number into your buffer
$ dmesg | grep SerialNumber:
b. Mount the iOS device by that serial number UDID
$ mkdir $HOME/data/ipad
$ ifuse $HOME/data/ipad -u 6ee7ab2fa479394be85da7cb4aefc5d8b11b6f82
c. This immediately puts an "iosfs" icon on the Desktop.
d. Notice you have write access to the iOS Downloads & DCIM (& others).
Namely: Books,DCIM,Downloads,iMazing,iTunes_Control,MediaAnalysis,
PhotoData,Photos,PublicStaging,Purchases
e. Notice you now have thumbnails.
f. Notice you have all the power of Linux, on your iOS device now.

To unmount:
$ fusermount -u $HOME/data/ipad
7. EXAMPLE 3: Mount an iOS application's "documents" folder by its APPID:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios160.jpg>
$ mkdir $HOME/data/vlc_documents
$ ifuse $HOME/data/vlc_documents --documents org.videolan.vlc-ios

This puts an icon named "vlc_documents" on your desktop, which is
read/write access, with thumbnails, to the iOS VLC documents directory.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios180.jpg>

To unmount:
$ fusermount -u $HOME/data/vlc_documents
8. Install libimobiledevice-utils:
$ sudo apt install libimobiledevice-utils
9. EXAMPLE 4:
$ ideviceinfo -d
REPORTS copious information about that connected iOS device.

$ idevicesyslog
REPORTS the system log of the iOS device (extremely verbose output!).
10. Please suggest further useful examples based on your experiences.
Caveat:

If you leave Windows 10 at the default setting of fast startup,
then Ubuntu will mount the entire Windows file system as read only
(apparently because fast startup is a form of hibernation).

To automatically mount the entire Windows filesystem as read/write,
simply turn off fast startup in the Windows 10 settings:

Start > Settings > System > Power & sleep > Related settings
> Additional power settings > Choose what the power button does >
or (depending on your number of buttons)
> Additional power settings > Choose what the power buttons do >
> Change settings that are currently unavailable

Change from:
[x]Turn on fast startup (recommended)
This helps start your PC faster after shutdown. Restart isn't affected.
[x]Sleep (Show in Power menu.)
[_]Hibernate (Show in Power menu.)
[x]Hibernate (Show in Power menu.)
[x]Lock (Show in account picture menu.)

Change to:
[_]Turn on fast startup (recommended)
This helps start your PC faster after shutdown. Restart isn't affected.
[_]Sleep (Show in Power menu.)
[_]Hibernate (Show in Power menu.)
[_]Hibernate (Show in Power menu.)
[_]Lock (Show in account picture menu.)

And then press the "Save changes" button.

nospam

Sep 22, 2018, 4:10:49 PM9/22/18
In article <po66lb$v25$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen H. Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> Both Windows and Linux are *native* (i.e., zero additional software is
> needed for full read/write access to the entire visible file system of
> the iOS device. Everything is on the native operating system!)

except the parts that aren't:

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 22, 2018, 6:44:43 PM9/22/18
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 16:10:48 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Both Windows and Linux are *native* (i.e., zero additional software is
>> needed for full read/write access to the entire visible file system of
>> the iOS device. Everything is on the native operating system!)
>
> except the parts that aren't:
>
>> $ ifuse
>> Command 'ifuse' not found, but can be installed with:
>> sudo apt install ifuse
>>
>> $ ideviceinfo
>> Command 'ideviceinfo' not found, but can be installed with:
>> sudo apt install libimobiledevice-utils

Hi nospam,
I'll cut you some slack since you're dead wrong, again, but you'd have to
actually have *comprehended* exactly what the tutorial stated (which,
clearly, you whooshed on).

You're dead wrong - and I'll tell you why - but I really wish you'd stop
wasting everyone's time with your bullshit. You have zero credibility.

Everything I say is right - and almost everything you say is wrong.
Jesus. Please stop _proving_ you can't add value. You just guess.

Fact is, you don't need ifuse or idevice info since the libimobiledevice
drivers that come with any typical install of Ubuntu 18.04 are all you
need.

You'd know that if you weren't stupid because I said it in the tutorial I'm
sure, but that's not the point anyway since all you're doing is playing
silly games (like always).

Even if you needed to install it, on Linux, installing such things is so
trivial that even you could do it - it's that easy. One stinking command.

Here's the summary, nospam:
a. You didn't comprehend the tutorial, so you're wrong again (as always)
b. You just guessed - and you guessed wrong (again)
c. Even if you had guessed right, installing them on Linux is trivial

*Why do you waste everyone's time, nospam, with your childish games?*

I'm appalled at how fantastically _stupid_ all your Apple Apologists are.
a. You can't do anything if Marketing didn't give you a button for it
b. That means you're dead when you need to interface to the real world
c. You cry like babies and give up the instant something doesn't work

What's irksome is that I'm only of average intelligence and yet, I
literally tower over each and every one of you.

*It's just very sad that you're all _that_ incredibly stupid.*

It's revealing actually, how fantastically _stupid_ you prove you are in
every post nospam.. You, Lewis, Jolly Roger. Savageduck, BKatOnRamp, Chris,
and that new crybaby "joe" who proved that if Apple MARKETING didn't give
him a big fat button for it, he blames me for his idiocy (Jesus).

*It's shocking, actually, that people like you can be _that_ stupid.*

All of you Apple Apologists are nothing but stunted mentality children.

Arlen Holder

Sep 25, 2019, 2:18:07 AM9/25/19

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:07:56 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> Do you keep most of your photographs and videos in your iPhone like a
>> digital hoarder? Just wondering. :)
>
> Iphone, iPad, MacBook Air und MacBook Pro have all pix on the device and
> in addition in the iCloud as well as in Time Machine.
> At the moment we talk about 35K pictures.

How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
o The goal is to store nothing on purpose, ever, on the net (including the cloud).
o And, in essence, the goal is to use the iOS iPad as a "smart USB stick".

Now that I have a phablet phone with a large screen & long life...
o I mainly use the iOS 11.x iPad as a smart 128GB USB stick for movies.
o And, as a videotaping platform for capturing technology lectures.

Hence...
1. I often slide feature length movies to the iPad over USB
2. In addition, I directly video technology lectures on the iPad
3. And, of course, I snap lecture whiteboard photos on the iPad

All are stored on the iPad only until I need space for more.
o Then I simply slide all captured files to Windows over USB

Where the iPad mainly serves two fundamental functions:
a. The iPad is a smart USB stick that can spap pictures & record videos
b. The iPad is a smart USB stick that can play feature-length movies

When full, I delete the feature length movies.
o And I slide the videos & pictures to any Windows/Linux desktop I want.
o Or, I slide the files onto any USB stick I want
o Or, (rarely), I burn the files to DVD (e.g., movies or songs).

Using any desktop on the planet (usually dual boot though),
and, of course, without ever installing the iTunes' abomination
(which merely limits what you can do).