What is the closest Apple iPhone comparison to the $100 64GB 4GB RAM Motorola G7?

Arlen Holder

Nov 26, 2019, 9:18:23 PM11/26/19
What is the closest Black-Friday comparison between the unlocked $100
Motorola G7 & whatever iPhone seems to be the best overall comparison fit?
o iPhone 7?
o iPhone 8?
o iPhone 11?

iPhone 11 (AFAICT) Christmas stocking stuffers... (as gifts)
<https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9357&idPhone2=9848#usa,a2111,*>

(Please correct any errors below in the quick comparison summary):
o PRICE: Moto G7 is currently $100; iPhone 11 Black Friday price varies
o CPU: Moto G7 is eight 1.4GHz cores; iPhone 11 is only six 1.4GHz cores
o STORAGE: Both are 64GB
o RAM: Both are 4GB
o EXPANSION: Moto G7 is expandable; iPhone 11 lacks basic functionality
o SIM: Moto G7 is dual sim; USA iPhone 11 lacks this functionality
o BANDS: Both are similar; iPhone 11 has a few more bands
o HEADPHONE: Moto G7 has it; iPhone 11 lacks this basic functionality
o CAMERA: No DXOMark scores exist for these two specific phones
o FM RADIO: Moto G7 has it; iPhone 11 lacks this basic functionality
o WlAN: Both are similar; iPhone 11 has ac; Moto G7 has WiFi Direct
o DISPLAY: Both are similar
o SENSORS: Both similar; Moto G7 has fingerprint; iPhone 11 has FaceID
o BATTERY: Neither is removable
o WATERPROOF: iPhone 11 is iP68; Moto G7 is only water resistant
o NFC: iPhone 11 has it; Moto G7 lacks this basic functionality
o What else?

Nominal price of unlocked iPhone 11 taken from Apple's web site today:
<https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11/6.1-inch-display-64gb-black-unlocked>

Black Friday sale for $700 unlocked iPhone 11 at Best Buy:
<https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-iphone-11-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-black/6223303.p?skuId=6223303>
<https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/07/black-friday-spotlight-best-buy/>

Black Friday sale for unlocked iPhone 11 at Target (no T-Mobile):
<https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/08/black-friday-spotlight-target/>

Note: Moto G7 deal requires Google Fi ($20) which can be dropped anytime.
<https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/11/13/20963545/black-friday-phone-deals-cyber-monday-best-iphone-galaxy-note-pixel-oneplus-android>
--
Please correct so that people can make timely decisions this holiday.

Arlen Holder

Nov 27, 2019, 10:05:18 AM11/27/19
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 02:18:22 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> What is the closest Black-Friday comparison between the unlocked $100
> Motorola G7 & whatever iPhone seems to be the best overall comparison fit?

UPDATE:
Since every thread to Usenet should add value to the potluck...

To continue to add value to Usenet in every post, I bought a handful of
these $100 64GB/4GB/8-core Motorola G7 phablets from Google as stocking
stuffers, where I should warn others of a set of 'details' you might wish
to know about that I only learned during the process of purchasing them.

First, and foremost, you need to have or create a Google Fi account, which
itself seems to require a Google login, but if you use your normal Google
login, and if that normal Google login has a "Google Voice" phone number,
Google will _force_ you to abdicate that GV phone number for the phone,
where you have no choice otherwise.

Worse, if you drop the Google Fi account (which, of course, I plan on
doing), then you _lose_ your Google Voice number altogether (according to
what Google stated in the terms).

Hence, you simply need to create a _new_ Google account (easily enough
done), in order to retain your old Google Voice phone number in all its
glory.

Secondly, if you purchase more than one, as I did, you _must_ have them all
on the exact same Google Fi plan (there is no mixing & matching allowed),
even if you don't want that. So, again, the trick is simply to create a
_separate_ Google account for each $100 Moto G7 you purchase.

Thirdly, surprisingly, the tax on the $100 phone was only about $9, where
often I end up paying taxes on a full MSRPP (which would be, oh, about $300
or about $30 in taxes alone), where I'm not sure why the difference, but
I'm happy that the taxes were on the actual sales amount, and not on some
inflated arbitrarily huge MSRPP amount.

Fourth, the shipping is free, which is always a good thing.

Fifth, the cheapest Google Fi plan I saw on the choice page was the $20 per
month, with an additional charge of $10/GB (none of which do I plan on
using before I kill the Google Fi account altogether).

Sixth, apparently a Google One cloud storage account is automatically
applied to the Google Fi account, again, none of which I plan on using as I
feel cloud-storage accounts are for people who aren't in the least
technical (e.g., they try to hook you into renting your data forever).
o Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
Internet (if so, for what gain?)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/E0TkTd-zLuk/fF1RRv51AwAJ>

That's about it for what I learned by ordering the $100 Moto G
64GB/4GB/+expansion slot/dual-sim phone on Google, where I'll learn, once I
receive the phones, how hard it is to activate & inactivate, which I don't
anticipate being difficult.

As for the phone itself, most of you know I started my "smartphone" history
started after the analog Motorola flip phones with that pull-out antenna,
with the $400 Kyocera's on Verizon, but got upset with Verizon for
re-initializing my 2-year contract simply for replacing the phone under the
insurance plan, so I went with AT&T the first chance I could get.

On AT&T, I had blackberries, but the clit kept breaking, so I moved to the
Motorola flip-phone razors, which we all had for years, until AT&T refused
to granfather the no-data plan on a smartphone, so I summarily dropped AT&T
in favor of T-Mobile who didn't care (at that time) whether I had data or
not, nor where the phone came from, which was great for me since I buy my
phones outright nowadays.

Speaking of buying phones outright, in consumer electronics, everything
gets better faster and cheaper over time, EXCEPT highly marketed Apple
devices, which truly shows the fantastic power of marketing over highly
gullible people.
o Does the best price:performance choice in any common consumer electronics
device NOT get better, faster, and CHEAPER over time?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/eSudn2SUkws/i3yWZnEcCQAJ>

Nonetheless, I've purchased plenty of iOS iPads, iPods, and iPhones over
the years, where I vastly prefer Android over iOS simply because of the
VALUE and FUNCTIONALITY (e.g., there's _nothing_ by way of app
functionality on iOS that isn't already on Android, and yet, there's plenty
on Android that isn't on iOS).
o What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/poG62SEefqk/6_b0ero7BAAJ>
o Is there any software functionality in the new iPhone 11 that isn't
already in an average 5-year old Android phone?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/1D2Sgdlz1-I/6KRWyuETBAAJ>

Likewise, there's plenty hardware on Android not on even the most
horrifically expensive iOS devices, while there's nothing on iOS devices by
way of hardware that is functionally better than equivalently priced
Android hardware.
o Q: Is there any functional hardware on iPhones not ALREADY on Android?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/kr6zFELHkBk/F49Q-ISoAQAJ>
o What is the logic behind the fact that Apple limits users' choice of
hardware FM radios?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/qmDJvEwOgGE/0laKsAApCQAJ>

In addition, the resale value of well-chosen Android devices literally
kills that of iOS devices (in that the overall cost of ownership of iOS
devices is utterly atrocious) where, for example, my $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus
sells, used, for a huge proportion of that price, where you'd be hard
pressed even today to find a new LG Stylo 3 Plus at that price (most are at
least $150 even two years after I bought my handful for $130 at Costco).
o Facts: Resale value of my Android phone, 2 years later is more than 100%
- while a similar iPhone is at 20% resale value (used)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/EnmujjTW0-s/4IIAINxuBAAJ>

And, take note, the removable battery on that 2-year old $130 LG Stylo 3
Plus still works fine, even as LG hasn't tried to secretly, drastically,
and permanently throttle the CPU in half, simply due to poor Apple design:
o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems)
like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZTmmGoAndyM/WaU31OQFCAAJ>

*Fancy that there's no need to throttle my CPU to less than half speed!*

Notice that the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus stocking stuffers were about one fifth
the price of the iPhone 7 Plus, and yet, had MORE hardware & software
functionality in most cases, than anything Apple has ever sold.
o Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus
price/performance hardware comparison
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/ls71mnkj4jk%5B1-25%5D>

In this case, the $100 Moto G7 (64GB/4GB/dual-sim/sdcard/etc.) again
literally kills the Apple competition in terms of price to value; however,
there are a few things I've found out by belated research where the $100
Moto G7 isn't all that good (which, for the price, is to be accepted):
a. It's not 5G
b. The pictures are "just ok" (apparently the Google Camera APK helps)
c. The loudspeaker is "just ok"

That's about it for major flaws, where we have to accept this is a $100
64GB/4GB/dual-sim/+expansion slot phone after all.

I'll update this thread when the handful of $100 Moto G7 phones arrive.
o If you have experience with Google Fi or the Moto G7, let us know.

Most importantly, if you know which Apple iPhone best compares in hardware
functionality to the $100 Moto G7, let us know, as that's the main point of
this thread after all.

--
All consumer electronics EXCEPT highly marketed Apple devices, tend to get
better, faster and cheaper over time.

nospam

Nov 27, 2019, 11:50:02 AM11/27/19
In article <qrm3bd$or1$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Hence, you simply need to create a _new_ Google account (easily enough
> done), in order to retain your old Google Voice phone number in all its
> glory.

that rules you out, since you steadfastly refuse to have a google
account tied to your phone.

Arlen Holder

Nov 27, 2019, 1:08:49 PM11/27/19
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:50:01 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> Hence, you simply need to create a _new_ Google account (easily enough
>> done), in order to retain your old Google Voice phone number in all its
>> glory.
>
> that rules you out, since you steadfastly refuse to have a google
> account tied to your phone.

The original topic is _still_ valid, which is this simple question:
Q: *What iPhone is most equivalent to the $100 64GB/4GB/Dual-SIM Moto G7?*

Hi nospam,

At the risk of explaining an _adult_ topic to you, I really wish you
wouldn't prove to own the brain of a small child _every_ time you post.

Seriously.
o Grow up, nospam.

Please stop proving you apologists own the brain of a small child, nospam.
o Just stop it.

For the _adults_ on this newsgroup, I apologize that I have to explain to
nospam two basic readily obvious facts which nospam is immune to.

1. I ordered the $100 Moto G7 phones using the desktop, where I created the
bogus Google accounts on that desktop, where I will not need to use those
bogus Google accounts once I summarily drop the Google Fi $20/month
cellular service.

2. Whether or not the $100 Moto G7 phones require a Google Account won't
matter simply because the _only_ thing that _could_ possibly require a
Google Account would be the Google Fi, if that's applicable (I don't know
Google Fi well enough yet); however, it's clear, for the one $100 Moto G7
that I plan on keeping for myself, I will summarily drop the Google Fi
account. Hence, a factory reset will revert that $100 Moto G7 to an
unlocked cellphone, for which I can insert my T-Mobile SIM into one of the
dual SIM-card slots, leaving the second SIM empty for now.

In summary, I apologize to the _adults_ on this newsgroup that I have to
drop to the child-like level of nospam to explain the obvious to him.

The original topic is _still_ valid, which is this simple question:
Q: *What iPhone is most equivalent to the $100 64GB/4GB/Dual-SIM Moto G7?*

Arlen Holder

Nov 29, 2019, 6:01:42 PM11/29/19
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 18:08:48 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Q: *What iPhone is most equivalent to the $100 64GB/4GB/Dual-SIM Moto G7?*

Steve Scharf was correct these $100 Moto G7's have only 1 SIM slot.
o Not two SIM slots.

I was wrong in my assumption, so I thank Steve for correcting me.

> For some reason he thinks it is dual SIM, but the Google Fi version
> is single SIM (XT 1962-1). It's the international, GSM/LTE only version
> (XT1962-4) that is dual SIM & that's not what Google is selling for $100.

This is great information that Steve supplied since I had only the one news
article to base my handful of purchases upon...

I didn't need two SIM slots anyway (but it might have been a nice option).
o One SIM just makes it harder to compare coverage with just one phone. :(

The specs are here <https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#moto-g7>
o 64 GB built-in storage; expandable by up to 512 GB microSD card
o CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 632, 1.8 GHz Octa-Core
o GPU Adreno 506
o RAM: 4 GB
o Dual 12 MP + 5 MP rear cameras, 1.25 痠 pixel, f/1.8 aperture
o 4K (30 fps) Video capture
o 8 MP front camera (1.12um pixel) with LED flash
o 172g weight (154.5 x 72.3 x 8.3mm overall dimensions)
o 3000 mAh; quick charging non-removable battery
o 15W TurboPower for up to 9 hours of usage in 15 minutes of charge
o Android 9.0 Pie
o 6.2 inches edge-to-edge display, 19:9 aspect ratio
o IPS LCD 2270 x 1080 display (403 ppi), Full HD+
o Corning Gorilla Glass 3.0, 3D glass back
o Splash proof, water repellent design with P2i nano coating
o LTE with 3x Carrier aggregation
o Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz, 5.0 GHz)
o Bluetooth 4.2 aptX
o GPS, GLONASS, AGPS, Galileo, Beidou
o Fingerprint sensor
o Proximity sensor
o Accelerometer
o Ambient Light sensor
o Magnetometer
o Gyroscope
o Single USB Type-C port
o Single nano SIM slot
o 3.5 mm audio jack
o Single speaker, Dolby Audio
o 3 microphones
o FM Radio

I'll update the thread when the phones arrive; but the question of this
thread remains what iPhone best compares to this 64GB/4GB/512GB 6.2-inch
8-core CPU smartphone?

--
What iPhone best compares to a 64GB/8GB/512sd 6.2" 8-core smartphone?

Arlen Holder

Dec 2, 2019, 6:51:42 PM12/2/19
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 23:01:41 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Steve Scharf was correct these $100 Moto G7's have only 1 SIM slot.
> o Not two SIM slots

Woo hoo! The $100 unlocked 64GB/4GB/8-core Moto G7 phone arrived!
<https://i.postimg.cc/136096sR/motog700.jpg>

It's not really 64GB since it's only 50GB and of that, only 45GB was
available, but with the old $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus $16 64GB Fryes sdcard in
the expansion slot, the $100 Moto G7 has over 100GB (where I could buy a
512GB expansion card if I really wanted one).
<https://i.postimg.cc/DzTrmZwr/motog701.jpg>

As Steve had forewarned, it has only one SIM slot, although if you look at
the tray, there's room for a second SIM slot but that slot is filled in.
<https://i.postimg.cc/CxjDygsz/motog704.jpg>

I easily "activated" the Google Fi for a bogus Google account, in order to
initiate the $200 discount on the $300 Google price; and then I promptly
inserted the T-Mobile SIM card in place of the Google Fi card, which worked
fine.

It wasn't at first obvious how to enable MTP because it's in a different
place in Android 9 than I was used to on my previous Android 7 phone.
o Where is the MTP and PTP option in Android 9?
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/213059/where-is-the-mtp-and-ptp-option-in-android-9>

I easily swapped the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus $16 64GB sdcard into the $100
Moto G7 which is really convenient because I have something like almost 755
APKs since Android automatically backs up all versions of all apps at all
times to the local SD card for safe storage (in case an app goes rogue over
time).
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtNcky5V/motog702.jpg>

What I love is managing Android APKs over Windows (either USB or WiFi)
"just works" so well using the Windows native file manager that I could
install any apps I wanted, even as almost none were actually downloaded off
of Google Play directly (most were downloaded on the PC but it's so
seamless to manage the Android filesystem from the PC, it doesn't matter
HOW the APKs were obtained!
<https://i.postimg.cc/MZF1VtGK/motog703.jpg>

This is nice because these APKs, unlike IPAs, work on almost all phones.

An interesting tidbit is that most reviews recommend ditching the default
camera app in favor of the Google Gcam port for the Moto G7, which they
claim results in remarkably better photo quality of results.

o Download Google Camera (Gcam) for Moto G7 with working HDR+ and ZSL
<https://droidfeats.com/download-gcam-for-moto-g7/>
<https://www.cyanogenmods.org/gcam-google-camera-for-motorola-devices/>
<https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-install-google-camera-gcam-on-moto-g7/>

I called Google Fi at 844-825-5234 and asked if there was any "penalty" for
canceling the Google Fi given it was why the phone was $200 off their list
price, and they confirmed there are none, and even the $20 service is
pro-rated.

I didn't cancel the Google Fi service yet because I want to test out the
Google Fi service difference with T-Mobile (where the prices aren't bad on
either service), but it's a bit unwieldy to have both at the moment since
there is only one SIM slot available at any given time.

I wonder if there is any chance that cutting out the remaining SIM slot
will actually work (assuming all the hardware is in place otherwise)?

--
Usenet works best when adults purposefully share useful items of value.