Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve this Start Run commands list)

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 8, 2019, 1:44:00 AM8/8/19
Since Usenet is a potluck where people share what value they can,
below is my internal listing of over 250 Start > Run commands

(Please improve this Start Run commands list so all benefit from your actions.)
[Most work on most versions of Windows, but not all work on all versions.]

I'm pretty sure this is only about 3/4 of the most common commands...
because the list is only my personal list of those I know about.)

Start > Run > . (opens to the user's home folder C:\users\<home folder>)
Start > Run > .. (opens to the C:\Users folder)
Start > Run > \ (opens to the top level File Explorer C:\ folder)
Start > Run > appwiz.cpl (brings up the control panel for programs & features)
Start > Run > axman.msc (to bring up the authorization manager)
Start > Run > azman.msc (opens Advanced User Accounts)
Start > Run > bingmaps: (opens Bing Maps)
Start > Run > bingnews: (opens Microsoft News bingnews:
Start > Run > bingweather: (opens Weather)
Start > Run > calc (opens the default Windows calculator GUI)
Start > Run > calculator: (opens the default Windows calculator GUI)
Start > Run > candycrushsodasaga: (opens Candy Crush Soda Saga)
Start > Run > certlm.msc (to bring up the Certificates Manager)
Start > Run > certmgr.msc (opens Certificates)
Start > Run > charmap (opens Character Map)
Start > Run > chkdsk (opens the check disk utility)
Start > Run > cleanmgr (opens the windows disk cleanup utility)
Start > Run > cliconfg (opens SQL Server Client Network Utility)
Start > Run > cmd <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> (opens an admin-level command prompt)
Start > Run > cmd <Enter> (opens a user-level command prompt)
Start > Run > collab.cpl (opens People Near Me)
Start > Run > colorcpl (opens Color Management)
Start > Run > com.microsoft.3dviewer: (opens View 3D Preview)
Start > Run > com.microsoft.builder3d: (opens the 3D Builder)
Start > Run > comexp.msc (opens the component services manager)
Start > Run > compmgmt.msc (opens Computer Management)
Start > Run > compmgmtlauncher (opens Computer Management)
Start > Run > compnmgmt.msc (to bring up the computer management console)
Start > Run > computerdefaults (opens Set Program Access and Computer Defaults)
Start > Run > control (opens the windows control panel)
Start > Run > control access.cpl (opens accessibility options)
Start > Run > control admintools (opens Administrative Tools control panel)
Start > Run > control appwiz.cpl,,1 (opens add new programs)
Start > Run > control appwiz.cpl,,2 (opens add remove windows components)
Start > Run > control appwiz.cpl,,3 (opens set program access & defaults)
Start > Run > control color (opens the display properties colors & appearance)
Start > Run > control desktop (opens the display properties themes)
Start > Run > control folders (opens folder properties)
Start > Run > control fongts (opens the fonts list)
Start > Run > control keyboard (opens keyboard properties)
Start > Run > control mouse (brings up the mouse properties control panel)
Start > Run > control netconnections (brings up the Network Connections control panel)
Start > Run > control printers (brings up printers and faxes)
Start > Run > control schedtasks (to bring up the task scheduler)
Start > Run > control userpasswords (brings up user account change GUI)
Start > Run > control userpasswords2 (brings up user account properties form)
Start > Run > control wuaucpl.cpl (opens automatic update tools)
Start > Run > control.exe /name Microsoft.TaskbarandStartMenu (opens Taskbar and Start Menu)
Start > Run > control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting (opens Troubleshooting)
Start > Run > control.exe /name Microsoft.UserAccounts (opens User Accounts)
Start > Run > credwiz (opens Credential Backup and Restore Wizard)
Start > Run > cttune (opens ClearType Tuner)
Start > Run > dccw (opens Display Color Calibration)
Start > Run > dcomcnfg (opens Component Services)
Start > Run > defrag (opens the disk defragmenter)
Start > Run > devicepairingwizard (opens Adding a new Device)
Start > Run > devmgmt.msc.msc (to bring up the device manager)
Start > Run > devmoderunasuserconfig.msc (Start Menu & Taskbar manager)
Start > Run > dfrg.msc (opens windows defragmenter)
Start > Run > dfrgui (opens Disk Defragmenter)
Start > Run > dialer (opens Phone Dialer)
Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc (opens the disk manager)
Start > Run > displayswitch (opens Connect to a Projector)
Start > Run > documents (opens the Documents folder)
Start > Run > downloads (opens the Downloads folder)
Start > Run > dpapimig (opens the DPAPI Key Migration Wizard)
Start > Run > dpiscaling (opens Display setup)
Start > Run > drawboardpdf: (opens Drawboard PDF)
Start > Run > dvdmaker (opens Windows DVD Maker)
Start > Run > dvdplay (opens the DVD player)
Start > Run > dxdiag (opens DirectX Diagnostic Tool)
Start > Run > eudcedit (opens Private Character Editor)
Start > Run > eventvwr.msc (opens Event Viewer)
Start > Run > excel (opens up Microsoft Office Excel)
Start > Run > explorer (opens the Windows Explorer)
Start > Run > explorer . (opens the Windows Explorer to the current directory)
Start > Run > favorites (opens Open Favorites Folder)
Start > Run > fb: (opens Facebook)
Start > Run > feedback-hub: (opens Feedback Hub)
Start > Run > firewall.cpl (opens the Windows Defender Firewall GUI)
Start > Run > fontview (opens the font preview)
Start > Run > fontview arial.ttf (opens the font preview for that font)
Start > Run > fsmgmt.msc (to bring up the Shared folders manager)
Start > Run > fsquirt (opens the bluetooth transfer wizard)
Start > Run > fxscover (opens Fax Cover Page Editor)
Start > Run > gettingstarted (brings up the Getting Started OOB)
Start > Run > gpedit.msc (to bring up the local groups policy editor)
Start > Run > hdwwiz (opens Add Hardware Wizard)
Start > Run > hdwwiz.cpl (opens the Device Manager)
Start > Run > iexplore (opens Internet Explorer)
Start > Run > iexpress (opens IExpress Wizard)
Start > Run > inetcpl.cpl (brings up the Internet Properties GUI)
Start > Run > intl.cpl (brings up the region and date-format control panel)
Start > Run > ipconfig (opens the IP configuration)
Start > Run > irprops.cpl (brings up the infrared image transfer control panel)
Start > Run > irprops.cpl (opens Getting Started)
Start > Run > iscsicpl (opens iSCSI initiator configuration)
Start > Run > isoburn (opens Windows Disc Image Burning Tool)
Start > Run > journal (opens Windows Journal)
Start > Run > joy.cpl (brings up the game controllers control panel)
Start > Run > logoff (logs out)
Start > Run > lpksetup (opens Language Pack Installer)
Start > Run > lusrmgr.msc (to bring up the local users & groups console)
Start > Run > magnify (opens Magnifier)
Start > Run > mailto: (opens the default email client)
Start > Run > main.cpl (brings up the mouse properties control panel)
Start > Run > main.cpl keyboard (opens keyboard properties)
Start > Run > mblctr (opens Windows Mobility Center)
Start > Run > mdsched (opens Windows Memory Diagnostic Scheduler)
Start > Run > microsoft-edge: (opens Microsoft Edge microsoft-edge:
Start > Run > microsoft.windows.camera: (opens Camera)
Start > Run > microsoftmusic: (opens Microsoft Store - Music)
Start > Run > microsoftvideo: (opens Microsoft Store - Movies & TV)
Start > Run > migwiz (opens Windows Easy Transfer)
Start > Run > minecraft: (opens Windows 10 Edition Minecraft)
Start > Run > mip (opens Math Input Panel)
Start > Run > mmc (opens the microsoft management console)
Start > Run > mmsys.cpl (brings up the Sound playback GUI for speakers & mic)
Start > Run > mobsync (opens Sync Center)
Start > Run > mrt (opens the malicious software removal tool)
Start > Run > ms-actioncenter: (opens the Action Center)
Start > Run > ms-availablenetworks: (opens Available Networks)
Start > Run > ms-callrecording: (opens Voice Recorder)
Start > Run > ms-chat: (opens Messaging)
Start > Run > ms-clock: (opens the Alarms & Clock app)
Start > Run > ms-contact-support: (opens Get Help)
Start > Run > ms-cortana: (opens Cortana)
Start > Run > ms-cortana://notebook/?ConnectedServices (opens Cortana Connected Services)
Start > Run > ms-cortana://settings/ManageBingProfile (opens Cortana Personal Information)
Start > Run > ms-drive-to: (opens Bing Maps)
Start > Run > ms-environment-builder: (opens Windows Mixed Reality Environments)
Start > Run > ms-get-started: (opens Tips)
Start > Run > ms-holocamera: (opens Mixed Reality Camera)
Start > Run > ms-holographicfirstrun: (opensMixed Reality Portal)
Start > Run > ms-paint: (opens Paint 3D)
Start > Run > ms-people: (opens People)
Start > Run > ms-photos: (opens Photos)
Start > Run > ms-projection: (opens Connect)
Start > Run > ms-settings-connectabledevices:devicediscovery (opens Device Discovery)
Start > Run > ms-settings-displays-topology:projection (opens Project Display)
Start > Run > ms-settings: (opens Settings)
Start > Run > ms-walk-to: (opens Bing Maps)
Start > Run > ms-whiteboard-cmd: (opensMicrosoft Whiteboard)
Start > Run > ms-windows-store: (opens Microsoft Store)
Start > Run > ms-windows-store: (opensMicrosoft Store ms-windows-store:
Start > Run > ms-wpc: (opens Windows Parental Controls)
Start > Run > msaccess (opens up Microsoft Office Access)
Start > Run > msconfig (opens Windows System Configuration boot options forms)
Start > Run > msdt (opens Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard)
Start > Run > msinfo32 (displays system information)
Start > Run > mspaint (opens Paint)
Start > Run > msra (opens Windows Remote Assistance)
Start > Run > mstsc (opens the remote desktop connection tool)
Start > Run > mswindowsmusic: (opens Groove Music)
Start > Run > music (opens to the default "Music" folder)
Start > Run > napclcfg.msc (opens NAP Client Configuration)
Start > Run > narrator (opens Narrator)
Start > Run > ncpa.cpl (brings up the Network Connections control panel)
Start > Run > netcpl.cpl (opens network properties)
Start > Run > netplwiz (opens an advanced user accounts window)
Start > Run > netproj (brings up the network projector)
Start > Run > notepad (opens Notepad)
Start > Run > odbcad32 (opens ODBC Data Source Administrator)
Start > Run > odbcconf (brings up the ODBC configuration form)
Start > Run > onenote: (opens OneNote)
Start > Run > optionalfeatures (opens Windows Features)
Start > Run > osk (opens On-Screen Keyboard)
Start > Run > outlookcal: (opens Calendar)
Start > Run > outlookmail: (opens Mail)
Start > Run > password.cpl (opens password properties)
Start > Run > perfmon.exe -rel (to bring up the reliability monitor)
Start > Run > perfmon.msc (brings up the Performance Monitor GUI)
Start > Run > pictures (opens Open Pictures Folder)
Start > Run > powercfg.cpl (brings up the Sound and power options GUI)
Start > Run > powercfg.exe (brings up the Power Configuration options GUI)
Start > Run > powerpnt (opens up Microsoft Office PowerPoint)
Start > Run > powershell <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> (opens an admin-level powershell)
Start > Run > powershell <Enter> (opens a user-level powershell)
Start > Run > powershell_ise (opens Windows PowerShell ISE)
Start > Run > presentationsettings (brings up presentation settings)
Start > Run > printbrm (brings up printer migration backup/restore)
Start > Run > printbrmui (brings up printer migraion user interface)
Start > Run > printers (opens printers folder)
Start > Run > printmanagement.msc (to bring up the print management console)
Start > Run > printui (opens Printer User Interface)
Start > Run > psr (opens Problem Steps Recorder)
Start > Run > rasphone (opens Remote Access Phonebook)
Start > Run > recdisc (opens Windows Repair Disc)
Start > Run > recent (opens Open Recent Folder)
Start > Run > regedit (opens the Windows registry editor - please set favorites)
Start > Run > rekeywiz (opens encrypting file system wizard)
Start > Run > resmon (opens the system resource cpu, disk, & memory monitor)
Start > Run > rsop.msc (to bring up the resultant set of policy manager)
Start > Run > rstrui (opens System Restore)
Start > Run > sdclt (opens the backup & restore scheduling GUI)
Start > Run > secpol.msc (to bring up the local security policy.secpo)
Start > Run > services.msc (to bring up the Services console)
Start > Run > sfc (brings up the system file checker utility)
Start > Run > shrpubw (opens Shared Folder Wizard)
Start > Run > shutdown (brings up the Shut Down Windows utility)
Start > Run > sigverif (opens file signatgure verification tool)
Start > Run > slui (opens Windows Activation Client)
Start > Run > smartglass: (opens Xbox One SmartGlass)
Start > Run > sndvol (opens Volume Mixer)
Start > Run > snippingtool (opens Snipping Tool)
Start > Run > soundrecorder (opens Sound recorder)
Start > Run > stikynot (opens Sticky Notes)
Start > Run > sysdm.cpl (brings up the System Properties form)
Start > Run > sysedit (opens System Configuration Editor)
Start > Run > syskey (opens SAM Lock Tool)
Start > Run > system (opens the C:\Windows\System folder)
Start > Run > system.ini (opens Windows loading information)
Start > Run > systempropertiesadvanced (opens System Properties (Advanced Tab))
Start > Run > systempropertiesdataexecutionprevention (opens Data Execution Prevention)
Start > Run > systempropertieshardware (opens System Properties (Hardware Tab))
Start > Run > systempropertiesperformance (opens Performance Options)
Start > Run > systempropertiesprotection (opens System Properties (System Protection Tab))
Start > Run > systempropertiesremote (opens System Properties (Remote Tab))
Start > Run > tabcal (opens Digitizer Calibration Tool)
Start > Run > tabletpc.cpl (on some systems, brings up the tablet GUI)
Start > Run > taskmgr (opens Task Manager)
Start > Run > taskschd.msc (to bring up the task scheduler)
Start > Run > telephon.cpl (brings up the location information panel)
Start > Run > telnet (brings up the telnet client)
Start > Run > timedate.cpl (brings up the Date & Time control panel)
Start > Run > tpm.msc (opens Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Management)
Start > Run > tpmInit (opens the trusted platform module init wizard)
Start > Run > twitter: (opens Twitter)
Start > Run > useraccountcontrolsettings (opens User Account Control Settings)
Start > Run > utilman (opens Ease of Access Center)
Start > Run > verifier (opens Driver Verifier Manager)
Start > Run > videos (opens Open Videos folder)
Start > Run > wf.msc (to bring up the Windows Defender Filewall manager)
Start > Run > wfs (opens Windows Fax and Scan)
Start > Run > wiaacmgr (opens New Scan Wizard)
Start > Run > win.ini (opens windows loading information)
Start > Run > windowsanytimeupgraderesults (opens Windows Anytime Upgrade Results)
Start > Run > WindowsAnytimeUpgradeui (opens Windows Anytime Upgrade)
Start > Run > windowsdefender: (opens Windows Security Windows Defender)
Start > Run > winver (opens Version Reporter Applet)
Start > Run > winword (opens up Microsoft Office Word)
Start > Run > wmimgmt.msc (to bring up the Windows Management Instrumentation)
Start > Run > wmplayer (opens Windows Media Player)
Start > Run > write (opens WordPad)
Start > Run > wscript (opens Windows Script Host)
Start > Run > wscui.cpl (brings up the Security & Maintenance control panel)
Start > Run > wuapp (check, manage & configure windows update setup)
Start > Run > wusa (opens Windows Update Standalone Installer)
Start > Run > xbox-friendfinder: (opens Xbox - Friends list)
Start > Run > xbox-network: (opens Xbox - Network settings)
Start > Run > xbox-profile: (opens Xbox - Profile page)
Start > Run > xbox-settings: (opens Xbox - Settings)
Start > Run > xbox: (opens Xbox)
Start > Run > xboxliveapp-1297287741: (opens Microsoft Solitaire Collection xboxliveapp-1297287741:
Start > Run > xpsrchvw (opens XPS Viewer)

Please note this list was inspired today by sharing in these recent threads:
o Is this the most efficient way to access most-used folders & the entire file system with the LEAST amount of clutter?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/e8etKofB/is-this-the-most-efficient-way-to-access-most-used-folders-the-entire-file-system-with-the-least>

o Is this the most efficient way to access all your program shortcuts WITHOUT using the problematic start menu?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/jjooXazp/is-this-the-most-efficient-way-to-access-all-your-program-shortcuts-without-using-the-problematic>

Don Kuenz

Aug 8, 2019, 9:12:28 AM8/8/19

)
> [Most work on most versions of Windows, but not all work on all versions.]
>
> I'm pretty sure this is only about 3/4 of the most common commands...
> because the list is only my personal list of those I know about.)

Excellent! A usenet version of yet another O'Reilly _Pocket Reference_.
Here's the commands in a handy comma-separated-variable format,
easily imported into a favorite spreadsheet or database app:

".","opens to the user's home folder C:\users\<home folder>"
"..","opens to the C:\Users folder"
"\","opens to the top level File Explorer C:\ folder"
"appwiz.cpl","brings up the control panel for programs & features"
"axman.msc","to bring up the authorization manager"
"azman.msc","opens Advanced User Accounts"
"bingmaps:","opens Bing Maps"
"bingnews:","opens Microsoft News bingnews:"
"bingweather:","opens Weather"
[...]
"dialer","opens Phone Dialer"
"diskmgmt.msc","opens the disk manager"
"displayswitch","opens Connect to a Projector"
"documents","opens the Documents folder"
"downloads","opens the Downloads folder"
"dpapimig","opens the DPAPI Key Migration Wizard"
"dpiscaling","opens Display setup"
"drawboardpdf:","opens Drawboard PDF"
"dvdmaker","opens Windows DVD Maker"
"dvdplay","opens the DVD player"
"dxdiag","opens DirectX Diagnostic Tool"
"eudcedit","opens Private Character Editor"
"eventvwr.msc","opens Event Viewer"
"excel","opens up Microsoft Office Excel"
"explorer","opens the Windows Explorer"
"explorer .","opens the Windows Explorer to the current directory"
"favorites","opens Open Favorites Folder"
"fb:","opens Facebook"
[...]
"logoff","logs out"
"lpksetup","opens Language Pack Installer"
"lusrmgr.msc","to bring up the local users & groups console"
"magnify","opens Magnifier"
"mailto:","opens the default email client"
"main.cpl","brings up the mouse properties control panel"
"main.cpl keyboard","opens keyboard properties"
"mblctr","opens Windows Mobility Center"
"mdsched","opens Windows Memory Diagnostic Scheduler"
"microsoft-edge:","opens Microsoft Edge microsoft-edge:"
"microsoft.windows.camera:","opens Camera"
"microsoftmusic:","opens Microsoft Store - Music"
"microsoftvideo:","opens Microsoft Store - Movies & TV"
"migwiz","opens Windows Easy Transfer"
"minecraft:","opens Windows 10 Edition Minecraft"
"mip","opens Math Input Panel"
"mmc","opens the microsoft management console"
"mmsys.cpl","brings up the Sound playback GUI for speakers & mic"
"mobsync","opens Sync Center"
"mrt","opens the malicious software removal tool"
"ms-actioncenter:","opens the Action Center"
"ms-availablenetworks:","opens Available Networks"
"ms-callrecording:","opens Voice Recorder"
"ms-chat:","opens Messaging"
"ms-clock:","opens the Alarms & Clock app"
"ms-contact-support:","opens Get Help"
"ms-cortana:","opens Cortana"
"ms-cortana://notebook/?ConnectedServices","opens Cortana Connected Services"
"ms-cortana://settings/ManageBingProfile","opens Cortana Personal Information"
"ms-drive-to:","opens Bing Maps"
"ms-environment-builder:","opens Windows Mixed Reality Environments"
"ms-get-started:","opens Tips"
"ms-holocamera:","opens Mixed Reality Camera"
"ms-holographicfirstrun:","opensMixed Reality Portal"
"ms-paint:","opens Paint 3D"
"ms-people:","opens People"
"ms-photos:","opens Photos"
"ms-projection:","opens Connect"
"ms-settings-connectabledevices:devicediscovery","opens Device Discovery"
"ms-settings-displays-topology:projection","opens Project Display"
"ms-settings:","opens Settings"
"ms-walk-to:","opens Bing Maps"
"ms-whiteboard-cmd:","opensMicrosoft Whiteboard"
"ms-windows-store:","opens Microsoft Store"
"ms-windows-store:","opensMicrosoft Store ms-windows-store:"
"ms-wpc:","opens Windows Parental Controls"
"msaccess","opens up Microsoft Office Access"
"msconfig","opens Windows System Configuration boot options forms"
"msdt","opens Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard"
"msinfo32","displays system information"
"mspaint","opens Paint"
"msra","opens Windows Remote Assistance"
"mstsc","opens the remote desktop connection tool"
"mswindowsmusic:","opens Groove Music"
"music","opens to the default 'Music' folder"
"napclcfg.msc","opens NAP Client Configuration"
"narrator","opens Narrator"
"ncpa.cpl","brings up the Network Connections control panel"
"netcpl.cpl","opens network properties"
"netplwiz","opens an advanced user accounts window"
"netproj","brings up the network projector"
"notepad","opens Notepad"
"odbcad32","opens ODBC Data Source Administrator"
"odbcconf","brings up the ODBC configuration form"
"onenote:","opens OneNote"
"optionalfeatures","opens Windows Features"
"osk","opens On-Screen Keyboard"
"outlookcal:","opens Calendar"
"outlookmail:","opens Mail"
[...]
"sndvol","opens Volume Mixer"
"snippingtool","opens Snipping Tool"
"soundrecorder","opens Sound recorder"
"stikynot","opens Sticky Notes"
"sysdm.cpl","brings up the System Properties form"
"sysedit","opens System Configuration Editor"
"syskey","opens SAM Lock Tool"
"system","opens the C:\Windows\System folder"
"system.ini","opens Windows loading information"
"systempropertiesadvanced","opens System Properties (Advanced Tab)"
"systempropertiesdataexecutionprevention","opens Data Execution Prevention"
"systempropertieshardware","opens System Properties (Hardware Tab)"
"systempropertiesperformance","opens Performance Options"
"systempropertiesprotection","opens System Properties (System Protection Tab)"
"systempropertiesremote","opens System Properties (Remote Tab)"
"tabcal","opens Digitizer Calibration Tool"
"tabletpc.cpl","on some systems, brings up the tablet GUI"
"taskmgr","opens Task Manager"
"taskschd.msc","to bring up the task scheduler"
"telephon.cpl","brings up the location information panel"
"telnet","brings up the telnet client"
"timedate.cpl","brings up the Date & Time control panel"
"tpm.msc","opens Trusted Platform Module","TPM) Management"
"tpmInit","opens the trusted platform module init wizard"
"twitter:","opens Twitter"
"useraccountcontrolsettings","opens User Account Control Settings"
"utilman","opens Ease of Access Center"
"verifier","opens Driver Verifier Manager"
"videos","opens Open Videos folder"
"wf.msc","to bring up the Windows Defender Filewall manager"
"wfs","opens Windows Fax and Scan"
"wiaacmgr","opens New Scan Wizard"
"win.ini","opens windows loading information"
"windowsanytimeupgraderesults","opens Windows Anytime Upgrade Results"
"WindowsAnytimeUpgradeui","opens Windows Anytime Upgrade"
"windowsdefender:","opens Windows Security Windows Defender"
"winver","opens Version Reporter Applet"
"winword","opens up Microsoft Office Word"
"wmimgmt.msc","to bring up the Windows Management Instrumentation"
"wmplayer","opens Windows Media Player"
"write","opens WordPad"
"wscript","opens Windows Script Host"
"wscui.cpl","brings up the Security & Maintenance control panel"
"wuapp","check, manage & configure windows update setup"
"wusa","opens Windows Update Standalone Installer"
"xbox-friendfinder:","opens Xbox - Friends list"
"xbox-network:","opens Xbox - Network settings"
"xbox-profile:","opens Xbox - Profile page"
"xbox-settings:","opens Xbox - Settings"
"xbox:","opens Xbox"
"xboxliveapp-1297287741:","opens Microsoft Solitaire Collection xboxliveapp-1297287741:"
"xpsrchvw","opens XPS Viewer"

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

R.Wieser

Aug 8, 2019, 12:03:24 PM8/8/19
> Since Usenet is a potluck where people share what value they can,
> below is my internal listing of over 250 Start > Run commands
[snip]

Again a heap of junk, dumped in as many Windows related newsgroup as
possible.

... with zero regard to if the posted "commands" work for those OSes or not.
"BingXXX:" ? Whatafoek? "candyXXXX:", "ms-XXXX", "xbox-XXXX" and a number
of others ? Same shit all over again.

And besides that, about 60 of those are just executables - which you can
find by doing a simple search for "*.exe" in de Windows folder. And than
another ~65 for the CPL and MSC ones.

Don't forget to search "Program files" for executables too.

As for the remainder ? A simple google returns lists of them (pun
intended) - most often WITH and indication of which OS they are valid for.

Spamming idiot. And you do not even care.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 8, 2019, 12:26:39 PM8/8/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:03:04 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> Again a heap of junk,

Hi Rudy,

Please grow up.
o *You & I go way back, where you always add _negative_ value to any topic*

I've been sharing detailed knowledge & learning greatly from others on
Usenet for decades, where many of us, e.g., Paul or Don Kuenz or Jonathan
Little or Keith Nuttle, et al., _contribute technical value_ for all Usenet
potluck attendees to share and benefit from, now, and in the future (since
these technical tutorials are archived for future use).

What's _your_ contribution to the technical topic of this thread, Rudy?
o The answer is _always_ you bring your steaming pile of shit, Rudy.

*Usenet is merely brainless childish amusement for people like you, Rudy*

Unfortunately, once someone like you plops your steaming pile of shit on
the picnic table to share with everyone - the joyful sharing picnic is
instantly ruined, and can never be resurrected (since you trolls are like
mosquitoes, ruining whatever joyful sharing the Usenet picnic attendees
would otherwise enjoy, & generally piling up on your own shit with glee).

*Hence, this thread is _already_ ruined once you gnats arrive, Rudy.*

Normally you worthless gnats troll other people's picnics, where I follow
the rule to not feed you; but on threads where I care that they come to an
outcome, I usually confront you cowardly bullies headlong - as a strategy
to make it "less pleasant" for you worthless pieces of shit to troll.

Yet - that just feeds you worthless pieces of shit, Rudy Wieser.

In an attempt to control the flies surrounding your worthless contribution
of a steaming pile of your shit (which you _think_ is witty & funny),
in this thread, I will NOT respond to the following worthless children,
each of whom has proven to mostly (often only) provide negative value.

I will NOT respond to any of these trolls in this thread, a priori:
o Alan Baker <nu...@ness.biz>
o Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com>
o Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch>
o B...@Onramp.net
o Beedle <Bee...@dont-email.me>
o "Boris T." <b...@lsd.invalid> (a common troll)
o Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid>
o Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid>
o Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
o "Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r...@WizardsTower.invalid> (always a child)
o Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> (sometimes, but only rarely posts as an adult)
o David Catterall <djc...@eircom.net> (a common troll)
o Davoud <st...@sky.net>
o Diesel <m...@privacy.net> (aka Dustin Cook)
o Elden <use...@moondog.org>
o Elfin <elfi...@gmail.com> (aka Lloyd, aka Lloyd Parsons)
o Fox's Mercantile <jda...@att.net> Jeff
o Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> (always posts as that of a child)
o John Gabriel <NoS...@nospam.net> (can only troll)
o Hemidactylus <ecph...@allspamis.invalid>
o Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> (mostly is an adult but often is a child)
o joe <no...@domain.invalid> (rarely, but sometimes posts as an adult would)
o Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
o Johan <JH...@nospam.invalid>
o John Doe <alway...@message.header>
o John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net>
o John-Del <ohg...@gmail.com>
o Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
o Ken Hart <kwh...@frontier.com>
o Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>
o Lloyd <elfi...@gmail.com> (aka "Elfin")
o Lloyd Parsons <lloy...@gmail.com> (aka "Elfin")
o Meanie <M...@gmail.com>
o nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> (bullshits more than anyone on Usenet)
o Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
o "pf...@aol.com" <peterw...@gmail.com> Peter Wieck, Melrose Park, PA
o Rene Lamontagne <rla...@shaw.ca> (always posts as a child would post)
o *"R.Wieser" <add...@not.available> (aka Rudy Wieser) (always a child)*
o Sandman <m...@sandman.net> (hates facts)
o Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
o she...@outlook.com
o Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> (aka Michael Glasser, troll's troll)
o Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net>
o Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net>
o Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> (always posts as a child)
o Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
o et al.

--
Usenet is a wonderful potluck to share value among adults - but where there
are unfortunately worthless children who can't ever add technical value who

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 8, 2019, 1:01:59 PM8/8/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 13:12:25 -0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz wrote:

> Excellent! A usenet version of yet another O'Reilly _Pocket Reference_.
> Here's the commands in a handy comma-separated-variable format,
> easily imported into a favorite spreadsheet or database app:

Hi Don Kuenz,
THANK YOU for adding value to share in this Usenet potluck topic!

I especially love the efficiency & unambiguous certainty of these
START-RUN commands, where, for example, the net is filled with
ambiguous results "search oriented" ways to do things as simple as...

WinKey+R . (opens to the user's home folder C:\users\<home folder>)
WinKey+R .. (opens to the C:\Users folder)
WinKey+R \ (opens to the top level File Explorer C:\ folder)

WinKey+R powershell <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> (opens an admin-level powershell)
WinKey+R powershell <Enter> (opens a user-level powershell)

WinKey+R cmd <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> (opens an admin-level command prompt)
WinKey+R cmd <Enter> (opens a user-level command prompt

Where I also share, for others to benefit from, that adding the
well-known AppPaths key as a "Favorite" in the Windows Registry,
and then populating that AppPaths key with your own custom commands
is an astoundingly efficient way to access your own new commands.

For example, if you have extensionless files set to open in an editor:
WinKey+R hosts
Will instantly open the hosts file for edit, if you add a unique key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\hosts.exe
Where the value of that unique-to-your-system key is (for Win10)
"C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

Further improving upon your already added value, I was remiss in the OP
in not mentioning that you were the main catalyst which had prompted me
to grep my tutorials saved on my hard drives for the "Start Run" keywords,
in order to diff, sort, uniq, and cmp the top 250 commands used - where -
I assume - there are at least another 100 or so to go until we obtain
the complete list of commonly used Start Run commands on Windows.

After I saved your purposefully helpful start_run_commands.csv file,
I realized belatedly that _my_ original input contained syntactical
errors, which I fix below so that others sharing in this useful
potluck picnic (now and in the future) will benefit, as always.

CHANGE FROM:
Start > Run > bingnews: (opens Microsoft News bingnews:
Start > Run > microsoft-edge: (opens Microsoft Edge microsoft-edge:
Start > Run > ms-holographicfirstrun: (opensMixed Reality Portal)
Start > Run > ms-whiteboard-cmd: (opensMicrosoft Whiteboard)
Start > Run > ms-windows-store: (opens Microsoft Store)
Start > Run > ms-windows-store: (opensMicrosoft Store ms-windows-store:
Start > Run > xboxliveapp-1297287741: (opens Microsoft Solitaire Collection xboxliveapp-1297287741:

CHANGE TO:
Start > Run > bingnews: (opens Microsoft News)
Start > Run > microsoft-edge: (opens Microsoft Edge)
Start > Run > ms-holographicfirstrun: (opens Mixed Reality Portal)
Start > Run > ms-whiteboard-cmd: (opens Microsoft Whiteboard)
Start > Run > ms-windows-store: (opens Microsoft Store)
Start > Run > xboxliveapp-1297287741: (opens Microsoft Solitaire Collection)

I'm sure there are more errors & omissions - so please test & improve
so that everyone benefits from every action on Usenet, as always.

As always, please improve by sharing technical acumen so that we all
benefit from having a list of the top 333 (or so) most often used
Start Run commands on Windows.

Paul Raymond

Aug 8, 2019, 1:31:04 PM8/8/19
On 08/08/2019 18:01, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> having a list of the top 333 (or so) most often used Start Run
> commands on Windows.

Then we need a tutorial about how to memorise all these "most often"
commands like your open source list of free porn sites to give us hard
cock when working with your most often commands.

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 8, 2019, 2:01:12 PM8/8/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 17:10:00 -0000 (UTC), Paul Raymond wrote:

> Then we need a tutorial about how to memorise all these "most often"
> commands like your open source list of free porn sites to give us hard
> cock when working with your most often commands.

Hi Paul Raymond,

Please grow up.

Not only is your childish accusation baseless, worse, your technical acumen
is also absolutely worthless, since you're dead wrong on the topic of how
to "remember" these most-often used WinKey+R commands.

I don't have much experience with your worthless trolling, where I repeat
my strategy is to use tactics that make it 'less fun' for you worthless
pieces of shit to troll the rest of us who are adults trying to learn more
about how Windows works.

I note for the permanent archival record that this is the second time in as
many weeks that you've made such childish baseless off-topic worthless
statements - ostensibly for your own childish glee - which means that
you've twice - in two weeks - proven that you're a worthless piece of shit,
Paul Raymond.

The very fact that _you_ incessantly bring up "porn sites" simply proves
how _your_ mind works, Paul Raymond ... not mine - which further bolsters
the obvious fact that you're a worthless piece of shit, Paul Raymond.

Your post added _negative_ value to this thread, Paul Raymond.

Given your prior and current posts add _negative_ value to the topic, I
will not respond to you further in this thread - and will likely be forced
to add you to the list of worthless trolls if you insist on incessantly
posting worthless and incorrect drivel to this thread.

I realize you can only add negative value to the topic Paul Raymond.
o I simply ask you to stop proving it and wasting everyone's time.

On the topic of adding technical value, since Win95 days, the way I
EFFICIENTLY access topics of technical complexity, is to use the strategy
of accessing those topics in a _single_ Start Run command.

Hence, to add further technical value to the topic of EFFICIENTLY accessing
COMPLEXITIES on Windows (on any version of Windows, mind you - since I've
been accomplishing what Paul Raymond clearly can't, for decades), what I
already have set up is the following EFFICIENT solution to the problem:

1. I saved Don Kuenz' purposefully helpful csv file to my data directory
C:\data\os\setup\all_known_start_run_commands.csv

2. I opened the registry to my saved Favorites, which includes AppPaths
Start > Run > regedit > Favorites > AppPaths

3. I added the following unique AppPaths key to the Windows Registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\run.exe
Default = "C:\data\os\setup\all_known_start_run_commands.csv"

Now, and forevermore, on any Windows version, I can type:
WinKey+R run

And up pops that comma-separated-value file, in Microsoft Excel.
(where I can easily find the commands inside, no matter how complex)

I'm always seeking the MOST EFFICIENT methods on Windows.

In that endeavor, I realize that you, Paul Raymond, will be _immune_ to the
sheer beauty of this efficient method, where I ask the adults on this
newsgroup (i.e., not you Paul Raymond) if they know of a MORE EFFICIENT way
to access the complexities in the file that Don Kuenz helpfully provided.

In summary, I realize that you, Paul Raymond, are not adult enough to add
even this simplest of simple technical on-topic value to this thread,
(where this suggestion has worked for DECADES, so you have no excuse Paul
for being ignorant of the basics of how Windows works), where all I ask of
you moving forward is the same I ask of anyone on Usenet, which is to:
a. Act like an adult please (and grow up)... where all I ask is you...
b. Attempt to share on-topic technical value to the Usenet potluck picnic

Bearing in mind we all have hundreds of such technical compilations we
maintain daily within our data directories...

The on-topic EFFICIENCY improvement to ask adults on this thread is:
o Do you know of a MORE EFFICIENT way to access Don's startrun CSV file?

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 8, 2019, 3:04:37 PM8/8/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:01:09 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> Now, and forevermore, on any Windows version, I can type:
> WinKey+R run

For reference in the future since this ng is searchably archived at...
o <http://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.narkive.com>
o <http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com>
o <http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>
And this ng is searchably also archived by Google at...
o <http://tinyurl.com/windowsxp-general> (30-character limitation)
o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general>
o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10>

A recent tangential offshoot tutorial for EFICIENTLY accessing _any_ file
on any Windows version (even extensionless files) is detailed here:

o Does an even more EFFICIENT method exist to access complex scattered files on all versions of Windows than this method?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/Q8tSHPnqg8I>

As always, please improve so as to strive to add value in every post.
--
Usenet is an adult potluck where the goal is to share items of value.

JJ

Aug 8, 2019, 6:08:45 PM8/8/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 05:43:57 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> Since Usenet is a potluck where people share what value they can,
> below is my internal listing of over 250 Start > Run commands
>
> (Please improve this Start Run commands list so all benefit from your actions.)
> [Most work on most versions of Windows, but not all work on all versions.]
>
> I'm pretty sure this is only about 3/4 of the most common commands...
> because the list is only my personal list of those I know about.)

[snip]

> Please note this list was inspired today by sharing in these recent threads:
> o Is this the most efficient way to access most-used folders & the entire file system with the LEAST amount of clutter?
> <https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/e8etKofB/is-this-the-most-efficient-way-to-access-most-used-folders-the-entire-file-system-with-the-least>
>
> o Is this the most efficient way to access all your program shortcuts WITHOUT using the problematic start menu?
> <https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/jjooXazp/is-this-the-most-efficient-way-to-access-all-your-program-shortcuts-without-using-the-problematic>

I want to add special folders into the list.

For example, the Network Connections:

Start > Run > ::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}

Control Panel's Personalization: (long text warning)

Start > Run > ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

Because there are many special folders in Windows, and not all of them exist
on all Windows versions, and they also can be added by third party
softwares, I've made a VBScript to find those which are available in the
current system.

<https://pastebin.com/ac5ytatL>

To use it, run it using CSCRIPT from the command from like below.

cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs

Since the list is pretty long (78 items in my Windows 7 system), the list
can be saved into a file by running it like below.

cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > SpecialFolders.txt

Here's the list for my Windows 7 system. Windows 8+ would have a view more.

<https://pastebin.com/C7PNyxJU>

There are some interresting/handy ones which are hard to find, or simply not
made accessible by default Windows installation. For example, a special
folder that holds the real complete list of all Control Panel items. More
than the one listed by the "All Control Panel Items". And a special folder
that holds the recently used folders (not files).

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 10, 2019, 2:14:12 AM8/10/19
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 05:08:42 +0700, JJ wrote:

> I want to add special folders into the list.

Hi JJ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Windows knowledge at the Usenet
potluck for Windows users.

The whole point of this Usenet newsgroup is to share your kind of value with
others, and to allow people now, and well into the future, to find and use
your shared value since this is the canonical archived newsgroup for Windows.

> For example, the Network Connections:
> Start > Run > ::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}

Nice. This worked fine on my WinXP & Win10 test machines (I didn't test on
Win7 because it's generally booted to Ubuntu lately).

> Control Panel's Personalization: (long text warning)
> Start > Run > ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

Another nice addition to our tribal knowledge, where I note for the
record this worked fine on my Win10 test machine but not on my WinXP test machine.

> Because there are many special folders in Windows, and not all of them exist
> on all Windows versions, and they also can be added by third party
> softwares, I've made a VBScript to find those which are available in the
> current system.
> <https://pastebin.com/ac5ytatL>

Wow! That excellent contribution of intellectual vim value to the Windows
Usenet potluck will help many others, which is always our goal, and which
will be permanently available forever in the Usenet archives to benefit
countless others in the future.

This "listspecialfolders.vbs.txt" Visual Basic script worked BEAUTIFULLY
on both my WinXP & Win10 test machine, and, overall, we all thank you
for such an EXCELLENT method to obtain version-specific special folders
for _any_ Windows version.

1. Save https://pastebin.com/dl/ac5ytatL to your bin hierarchy, e.g.,
C:\app\os\bin\vbs\listspecialfolders.vbs.txt
2. Make a working copy (for modifications from the original), e.g.,
copy listspecialfolders.vbs.txt ListSpecialFolders.vbs
3. Create a listing of your Windows platform special folders, e.g.,
cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > SpecialFolders.txt

In addition, you can instantly access that listing at any time, using:
o WinKey+R folders

If you prior set that file up in a uniqe-to-your-path AppPaths' key:
o HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\folders.exe
o Default = "C:\data\os\setup\SpecialFolders.txt"

> To use it, run it using CSCRIPT from the command from like below.
> cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs
>
> Since the list is pretty long (78 items in my Windows 7 system), the list
> can be saved into a file by running it like below.
> cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > SpecialFolders.txt
>
> Here's the list for my Windows 7 system. Windows 8+ would have a view more.
> <https://pastebin.com/C7PNyxJU>

Since you archived the Win7 Special Folders, I'll post the results from both
WinXP and Win10 separately, for the benefit of those on all Windows platforms
WinXP: cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > WinXP_SpecialFolders.txt
Win10: cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > Win10_SpecialFolders.txt

And so that they'll be available to others in the future who run specific
keyword searches on the permanent searchable web archives at
o <http://tinyurl.com/windows-server-general> (30-character limitation)
And:
o <http://microsoft.public.windows.server.general.narkive.com>
> There are some interresting/handy ones which are hard to find, or simply not
> made accessible by default Windows installation. For example, a special
> folder that holds the real complete list of all Control Panel items. More
> than the one listed by the "All Control Panel Items". And a special folder
> that holds the recently used folders (not files).

Nice clarification - thanks again for the level of detail, which is,
after all, how we each learn from each other about Windows every day,
and how we combine our contributions to increase everyone's Windows capabilities!

WinKey+R ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}
WinKey+R ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0
WinKey+R ::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
etc.

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 10, 2019, 2:15:02 AM8/10/19
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 03:43:11 -0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz wrote:

>> WinKey+R cmd <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> (opens an admin-level command prompt)
>> WinKey+R cmd <Enter> (opens a user-level command prompt
>
> This command detects elevation from within a cmd.exe window:
> whoami /groups | find "12288" && echo Elevated

Hi Don Kuenz,

THANK YOU for sharing value on the Windows Usenet Potluck with sufficient
amount of detail for those of us who love to learn about Windows to run.
o <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E>

Entering your suggested command in a user-level "Win+R cmd <Enter>"
window on Win10 [Version 10.0.17763.615], I get nothing, but in an elevated
command prompt using "Win+R cmd <Ctrl+Shift+Enter>", I get this:
Mandatory Label\High Mandatory Level Label S-1-16-12288
Elevated

On WinXP, if course, the "whoami" fails, where I didn't boot to Win7 to
test as my Win7 machine is flaky lately (it generally boots to Ubuntu).

> When WinKey+R cmd <Ctrl+Shift+Enter> is used to invoke cmd.exe under
> W16S neither the UAC OK dialog appears nor does the above command detect
> elevation.

That's interesting since this is key to understanding Windows' details.

> What this world needs is a shortcut that displays IE11's Compatibility
> View to alter:
>
> HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/BrowserEmulation/ClearableListData
> UserFilter

The closest I can get to that registry entry is
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation

> Twenty six of the shortcuts most often used by me on W10P and W16S
> devices that belong to a domain are shown below. The first thirteen
> commands were printed and placed on the front side of a 4 1/4" x 2 3/4"
> index card. The last thirteen commands were then printed and placed on
> the rear side. Finally, a clear plastic veneer was stuck to the front
> and rear sides of the whole kit and caboodle in order to keep everything
> together. The cheat sheet fits nicely into the folds of my wallet.

I love that approach, which reminds me of what I did when learning how to
use the Start Run commands on Win95 and WinXP, where my first on WinXP was:
Start > Run > my documents

Since we're all Windows aficionados, and since a new group was added, I
point the newly added team to the alternate suggestion of saving complex
data into a csv (or whatever) file and then instantly accessing that data
file by typing a simple command such as "Start > Run > run" which brings up
the file, instantly, in whatever editor is defined for csv files.
o Does an even more EFFICIENT method exist to access complex scattered files on all versions of Windows than this method?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/Q8tSHPnqg8I>

> Front side:
>
> adsiedit.msc ADSI Edit
> appwiz.cpl Programs and Features
> compmgmt.msc Computer Management
> control Control Panel
> desk.cpl Customize your display
> devmgmt.msc Device Manager
> dhcpmgmt.msc DHCP Manager
> diskmgmt.msc Disk Management
> dnsmgmt.msc DNS Manager
> dsa.msc Active Directory Users and Computers
> eventvwr.msc Event Viewer
> Firewall.cpl Windows Firewall
> gpedit.msc Local Group Policy Editor
>

> Rear side:
>
> gpmc.msc Group Policy Management
> gpme.msc Group Policy Management Editor
> hdwwiz.cpl Device Manager
> inetcpl.cpl Internet Properties
> lusrmgr.msc Local Users and Groups
> ncpa.cpl Network Connections
> powercfg.cpl Power Options
> printmanagement.msc Print Management
> rsop.msc Resultant Set Of Policy
> services.msc Services
> taskschd.msc Task Scheduler
> timedate.cpl Time and Date
> wbadmin.msc Windows Server Backup

Thank you for adding this nicely organized pocket card value to share on
the Windows Usenet potluck, where I also helpfully note for the newly added
group the advice JJ brought to the Windows potluck, much of which works on
both Windows 10 and Windows XP (my Win7 test machine is currently Ubuntu):
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E/lv4-hQ3ZAAAJ>

For the newly added server team, note the Windows canonical archives at:

Arlen G. Holder

Aug 10, 2019, 2:21:22 AM8/10/19
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 06:14:09 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> Since you archived the Win7 Special Folders, I'll post the results from both
> WinXP and Win10 separately, for the benefit of those on all Windows platforms
> WinXP: cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > WinXP_SpecialFolders.txt
> Win10: cscript ListSpecialFolders.vbs > Win10_SpecialFolders.txt

Hi JJ, Don Kuenz, et al.,

As always, to share added value in every post on Usenet, for now, and for the
permanent websearchable permanent Windows newsgroup archives, here are
results of JJ's VBS script on WinXP to share with other Windows aficionados.

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7

[Desktop]
"My Computer" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
"Control Panel" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
"Printers and Faxes" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
"Network Connections" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}
"Scheduled Tasks" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
"Scanners and Cameras" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}
"My Network Places" ::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
"Recycle Bin" ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Total: 8

[Global]
"Computer Search Results Folder" ::{1F4DE370-D627-11D1-BA4F-00A0C91EEDBA}
<My Documents> ::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}
"" ::{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}
"Search Results Folder" ::{E17D4FC0-5564-11D1-83F2-00A0C90DC849}

Total: 4

[File System]
"Fonts" C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
"Temporary Internet Files" C:\Documents and Settings\foobar\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
"History" C:\Documents and Settings\foobar\Local Settings\History
<.NET Assembly> C:\Windows\assembly

Total: 4

[Known Other Special Folders]
<Win2K/XP/2K3 ActiveX Cache> FolderName.{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}
<Win2K/XP/2K3 Internet Explorer History> FolderName.{FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}
<Vista+ Control Panel (all)> FolderName.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
<Vista+ Recent Folders> FolderName.{22877a6d-37a1-461a-91b0-dbda5aaebc99}

Total: 4

And here are the results on my Win10 test machine (by way of comparison):
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812

[Desktop]
"This PC" ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
"Recycle Bin" ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
"Control Panel" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}
"System and Security" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5
"Power Options" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{025A5937-A6BE-4686-A844-36FE4BEC8B6D}
"Windows Defender Firewall" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{4026492F-2F69-46B8-B9BF-5654FC07E423}
"Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}
"System" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{BB06C0E4-D293-4F75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}
"Security and Maintenance" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{BB64F8A7-BEE7-4E1A-AB8D-7D8273F7FDB6}
"BitLocker Drive Encryption" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{D9EF8727-CAC2-4E60-809E-86F80A666C91}
"File History" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{F6B6E965-E9B2-444B-9286-10C9152EDBC5}
"Storage Spaces" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{F942C606-0914-47AB-BE56-1321B8035096}
"Network and Internet" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\3
"Network and Sharing Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\3\::{8E908FC9-BECC-40F6-915B-F4CA0E70D03D}
"Hardware and Sound" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2
"Power Options" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{025A5937-A6BE-4686-A844-36FE4BEC8B6D}
"AutoPlay" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{9C60DE1E-E5FC-40F4-A487-460851A8D915}
"Devices and Printers" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}
"Programs" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\8
"Default Programs" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\8\::{17CD9488-1228-4B2F-88CE-4298E93E0966}
"Programs and Features" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\8\::{7B81BE6A-CE2B-4676-A29E-EB907A5126C5}
"User Accounts" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\9
"Credential Manager" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\9\::{1206F5F1-0569-412C-8FEC-3204630DFB70}
"User Accounts" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\9\::{60632754-C523-4B62-B45C-4172DA012619}
"Appearance and Personalization" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\1
"Ease of Access Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\1\::{D555645E-D4F8-4C29-A827-D93C859C4F2A}
"Clock and Region" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\6
"Ease of Access" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\7
"Speech Recognition" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\7\::{58E3C745-D971-4081-9034-86E34B30836A}
"Ease of Access Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\7\::{D555645E-D4F8-4C29-A827-D93C859C4F2A}
"All Control Panel Items" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0
"Power Options" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{025A5937-A6BE-4686-A844-36FE4BEC8B6D}
"Credential Manager" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{1206F5F1-0569-412C-8FEC-3204630DFB70}
"Default Programs" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{17CD9488-1228-4B2F-88CE-4298E93E0966}
"RemoteApp and Desktop Connections" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{241D7C96-F8BF-4F85-B01F-E2B043341A4B}
"Windows Defender Firewall" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{4026492F-2F69-46B8-B9BF-5654FC07E423}
"Speech Recognition" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{58E3C745-D971-4081-9034-86E34B30836A}
"User Accounts" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{60632754-C523-4B62-B45C-4172DA012619}
"Programs and Features" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{7B81BE6A-CE2B-4676-A29E-EB907A5126C5}
"Network and Sharing Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{8E908FC9-BECC-40F6-915B-F4CA0E70D03D}
"AutoPlay" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{9C60DE1E-E5FC-40F4-A487-460851A8D915}
"Sync Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{9C73F5E5-7AE7-4E32-A8E8-8D23B85255BF}
"Offline Files" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{9C73F5E5-7AE7-4E32-A8E8-8D23B85255BF}\::{750FDF10-2A26-11D1-A3EA-080036587F03}
"Recovery" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{9FE63AFD-59CF-4419-9775-ABCC3849F861}
"Devices and Printers" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}
"Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}
"System" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{BB06C0E4-D293-4F75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}
"Security and Maintenance" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{BB64F8A7-BEE7-4E1A-AB8D-7D8273F7FDB6}
"Troubleshooting" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{C58C4893-3BE0-4B45-ABB5-A63E4B8C8651}
"Ease of Access Center" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{D555645E-D4F8-4C29-A827-D93C859C4F2A}
"BitLocker Drive Encryption" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{D9EF8727-CAC2-4E60-809E-86F80A666C91}
"File History" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{F6B6E965-E9B2-444B-9286-10C9152EDBC5}
"Storage Spaces" ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{F942C606-0914-47AB-BE56-1321B8035096}
"Libraries" ::{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}
"Network" ::{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}

Total: 55

[Global]
"All Control Panel Items" ::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
"Printers" ::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
"Public Folder" ::{4336A54D-038B-4685-AB02-99BB52D3FB8B}
<My Documents> ::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}
"UsersFiles" ::{59031A47-3F72-44A7-89C5-5595FE6B30EE}
"This Device" ::{5B934B42-522B-4C34-BBFE-37A3EF7B9C90}
"Network Connections" ::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}
"Internet Folder" ::{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}
"CLSID_SearchHome" ::{9343812E-1C37-4A49-A12E-4B2D810D956B}
"Other Users Folder" ::{B4FB3F98-C1EA-428D-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}
"This Device" ::{F8278C54-A712-415B-B593-B77A2BE0DDA9}

Total: 11

[File System]
"Fonts" C:\Windows\Fonts
"History" C:\Users\z\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History
<.NET Assembly> C:\Windows\assembly

Total: 3

[Known Other Special Folders]
<Win2K/XP/2K3 ActiveX Cache> FolderName.{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}
<Win2K/XP/2K3 Internet Explorer History> FolderName.{FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}
<Vista+ Control Panel (all)> FolderName.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
<Vista+ Recent Folders> FolderName.{22877a6d-37a1-461a-91b0-dbda5aaebc99}

Total: 4

Arlen Holder

May 19, 2020, 7:31:39 PM5/19/20
On Tue, 19 May 2020 18:46:00 -0400, Paul wrote:

> What incentive do I have to even turn it on, via Windows Features ?

Hi Paul,

Regarding your reasonable & logical value query moments ago in...
o *Tutorial for setting up Ubuntu as a Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL in Windows 10*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/PV4Shdb67iM>

Since you're almost always purposefully helpful, you're worth my time to
explain why you "might" want to turn WSL on.
o But what I do not know (yet?) is why you might _not_ want to do so! :)

As you're well aware, use the "Run" box, oh, many of times a day (if I
mention any semblance of a number, the number trolls like Cybe(r) Wizard
will be on me like stink on the tail of a skunk).

Suffice to day we've documented _hundreds_ of quick "Run" commands:
o *Over 250 Start > Run commands* (please improve!)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E/DH_FxVCjAAAJ>

What Windows Subsystem for Linux enables us to do, is create just 1 more:
o Win+R > wsl

Once there, we get scores of commands to add to our "toolbox" repertoire.

For example, after typing "wsl", I instantly get "awk", "sed", "grep",
"!!", "!ls", "col", "tr", "comm", "diff", "tr", "locate", etc.

Now, if you never have a _need_ for such things, then that reason would
vaporize; but I have a need every day it seems for the kind of efficiency
that the Linux command line provides over the DOS command line.

There may be "cons" about "enabling" WSL that I'm not yet aware of, but the
"pro" of enabling Ubuntu in WSL is inherent in the tutorial:
o PRO: It takes a couple of minutes to set it up, and,
o PRO: It takes a split second to get into & out of WSL.

To get in, all you type is:
o Win+R > wsl

To get out, all you type is:
o $ exit

Hence, I ask you, what's the "con" of having wsl available to you?
--
Usenet is so much more valuable when people post with helpful intentions.

Paul

May 19, 2020, 10:15:54 PM5/19/20
Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 18:46:00 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> What incentive do I have to even turn it on, via Windows Features ?
>
> Since you're almost always purposefully helpful, you're worth my time to
> explain why you "might" want to turn WSL on.

My offhand comment, is about this:

WSL1 = no hardware dependency, works for everyone

WSL2 = required Hyper-V be turned on, to make kernel component work
Hyper-V requires SLAT/EPT on desktops, to be enabled in Windows Features

There's no problem with people continuing to experiment with WSL1.

And that's what I have enabled here.

I was testing WSL1 around two or three days after it showed up.
In particular, GNUWIN32 version of gawk 3.1 had just crashed
on a big job (multi-gigabyte input), and I wanted to test the
gawk 4.0 in WSL1. And it managed to finish the filtering job
I'd set for it.

What didn't work well, is text line endings were not handled the
same in WSL1 gawk 4.0, versus GNUWIN32 gawk 3.1. The GNUWIN32
version uses "windows" line endings, while at the time, the WSL1
used "Linux" line endings. The different requires a two line
stanza be added to the BEGIN clause, to compensate.

If using WSL, be aware there could be line ending
issues, and you'll be OK.

Paul

Jolly Fun

May 19, 2020, 10:57:05 PM5/19/20

On 20/05/2020 00:31, Arlen Holder wrote:

> Since you're almost always purposefully helpful, you're worth my time to
> explain why you "might" want to buy this:

Ya here's another purposefully helpful link that's worth your time and
money to spend on:

https://q-grips.com

Chris

May 20, 2020, 3:15:01 AM5/20/20
When sharing windows files there's always line ending issues.

I recommend 'dos2unix'.

Paul

May 20, 2020, 9:36:45 AM5/20/20
Chris wrote:

> When sharing windows files there's always line ending issues.
>
> I recommend 'dos2unix'.

But that's what the GNUWIN32 tools are for.

They already have the line ending issue solved for you.
Or at least, there are better odds of it being that way.

Then you don't need to be playing tennis with the files
to get some work done.

Solvable != Convenient, that's the problem.

And nobody is going to modify the contents of the
WSL toolset, at least without a clear picture of
what it's for. It was invented for some purpose,
something about "editing Azure instances" or the
like. Is it succeeding ? Or was this merely a bar
bet of some sort, created without a clear picture
of how to measure success ?

I've used WSL occasionally, but there are other
ways to get stuff done.

If you use the Linux "file" command, there are
at least 100 classifications for text files, and
for some of those, you cannot safely use dos2unix
and unix2dos, without damaging the files. I tried this
on a Firefox tarball, and it was a disaster if done
in a non-selective way. You have to be pretty careful,
to avoid making a mess, and it would be an all-day job
to make the files open neatly in Notepad in each case.

Line endings are not always a pleasant topic. You'll
find out when you get there :-/

And Windows 10 is partially solving some of these issues,
in that ancient stuff that "wasn't normally opened for
improvements", is seeing work. We had Command Prompt.
We got a Powershell. And there's a new Terminal thingy
that came out a few days ago, which is presumably an
attempt at a replacement for Command Prompt.

Command Prompt had been modified, to make the window
a bit more re-sizable. The new Terminal window, is
sorta along the same lines as the Visual-Studio-like
source editor. (Now, where did I leave that, it's
around here somewhere. Etc.)

The biggest improvement in Notepad, is "now it actually
works". You can do 100,000 Find-Replace and it finishes
in a couple seconds. Older versions of Notepad, it
seemed to "reformat the window after each Find-Replace,
instead of waiting until all the Find-Replace were
completed", which is dumb as dirt. And they finally
fixed that. But they also went overboard, by putting
in the text file declaration bytes at the beginning
of text files. Which may not be compatible with other
tools later (legacy tools for the vanilla ASCII character
set).

I guess using a computer must perpetually be like
herding turtles. When your back is turned, the turtles
wander off at warp speed.

Paul

Arlen Holder

Jul 18, 2020, 5:35:07 PM7/18/20
UPDATE (for the benefit of all in the permanent Usenet record)
(since every post should provide value now & years to come)
Regarding related leverageable links to remember from this post today...
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/NQth1-96ROw/6DrhttQaCgAJ>

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 20:16:00 +0100, NY wrote:

> I installed Classic Shell to give me a "proper" Start Menu.

I never understood _why_ people go to this much trouble...
o to obtain the WinXP accordion cascade menu that was always there!

o *Why does anyone bother to install Classic Shell on Windows if all
they want is the WinXP accordion-style sliding cascade Start Menu?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/classic$20start$20menu%7Csort:date/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/dTHKXIdlqcw/1YpoS4ITAQAJ>

If you understand how Windows works, you'll realize, instantly, the WinXP
accordion style menu exists & never left Windows in the first place.

It's EXACTLY the same (i.e., it's just a folder hierarchy of shortcuts).

In fact, I've copied my XP menu to Windows 10 and it works beautifully.
(Note that I maintain the same hierarchy on all machines, which is why
copying the "menu" folder from any of my machines works for all of them).

It's just a hierarchical folder pinned to the taskbar, containing
shortcuts.
--
People grasp at straws when they never had the problem in the 1st place.

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:33:32 +0100, NY wrote:

> I agree that there is a hierarchical folder for third-party applications
> that you install on Win 10,

Hi NY,

To continue, always, to be purposefully helpful to all adults on Usenet...

I realize this is OT, where I was mainly responding to your words, since I
am a fact-based aspy who always tries to figure out the strange reasons why
people do the strange non-factual things they do. :)

I'm well trained in organic chemistry, where, whenever I'm at the gas
station, for example, and some Honda Civic pulls up and the driver puts in
Premium, I ask them "why", and what I get back is utter nonsense (most of
it is utter bull, fed to them by gas advertisers) either about "higher
power" or "increased performance" or "cleaner engines"... which is just
impossible to gain for a stock engine in normal condition under normal use
(yet, they literally _believe_ in the imaginary belief system MARKETING fed
them to believe in).
o FAQ: Automotive Gasoline, by Bruce Hamilton
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/>

Same with people who own iPhones: I ask them while I'm waiting in line what
they like about it, and I _always_ get back almost a one-to-one parrot of
what MARKETING fed them to believe (e.g., "no malware", "frequent updates",
"security & safety", etc.), all of which is easily proven MARKETING
bulldunk.
o What is the most brilliant marketing move Apple ever made?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/wW-fu0jsvAU>

Same with Classic Shell (and it's variants), where every time someone
mentions it, I simply remind them, nicely, that if all they want are WinXP
cascaded accordion-style menus, they never left Windows 10 in the first
place (they never left ANY Windows version, in fact).

I do though, very much so, ORGANIZE my Windows dual monitors, so I
APPRECIATE your needs, given the capriciousness of the dual-monitor setup,
as I, myself, (together with Paul), have ascertained in the past, e.g.,
o Philosophically, how do you "organize" two monitors
(only applicable to those of you with dual monitors)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/OVaj9a326Bo>

> but I haven't found any links for Devices &
> Printers, Control Panel, etc.

Long ago I added to the Usenet tribal record, just for this purpose,
_every_ command known to Windows man already (see links below), e.g.,
this brought up my "Devices & Printers" on Win10 Pro v1909 just now:
o Win+R > Run > control printers
o Win+R > Run > ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\2\::{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}

While this opens up the "device discovery", for example:
o Win+R > Run > ms-settings-connectabledevices:devicediscovery

And this brought up the "Start Menu & Taskbar manager", for example:
o Win+R > Run > devmoderunasuserconfig.msc

And, of course, this opens up the control panel:
o Win+R > Run > control

Where you can get into any specific app wizard if you have the list which
I've provided, long ago, to the Usenet permanent archives for this task,
for example...
o Win+R > Run > control admintools
o Win+R > Run > appwiz.cpl
o Win+R > Run > control.exe /name Microsoft.TaskbarandStartMenu
etc. (we documented _hundreds_ of these commands, see link below)

The point is simply that if you can use "Start Run" to get to the "Devices
& Printers", or to the "Control Panel", then you can make a shortcut to
those commands, which you can give a custom icon, and then you can then put
your custom shortcut in your "menu" folder, which is already pinned to the
taskbar, perhaps under:
o taskbar > menu > os > {your custom shortcut to devices_and_printers.lnk}
o taskbar > menu > os > {your custom shortcut to control panel.lnk}
o taskbar > menu > os > {your custom shortcut to admin tools.lnk}
etc.

How to do all this we've added to the permanent Usenet archives just so
that people like you can do what we discussed long ago, in fact.

See these threads for details on how to do what you need to do:
o Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve this Start Run commands list)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E>

o Please follow this cut-and-paste tutorial to get batch command shortcuts working perfectly on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/1PzeGP4KMTU>

o What Windows 10 default files contain lots of useful icons for shortcuts to be set to?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/jprmtBFx/what-windows-10-default-files-contain-lots-of-useful-icons-for-shortcuts-to-be-set-to>

o Tutorial for creating custom Windows icons from screenshots using only Irfanview freeware
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/xm6aHzaC-D8/jvyr_JLnBAAJ>

Once we figure out how to add what you want to the cascade menu, we should
likely update this thread of useful shortcuts so that all benefit from
every action of ours on Usenet:
o What useful Windows shortcuts would you like to share with users?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/80ZHKKFom0c>

o What Windwos freeware adds powerful "phone Susan" & "vipw" commands?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/arlen$20menu|sort:date/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/ySVGbayhLSk/ucth1LPoBAAJ>

Where you need to know how batch/shortcut/target shortcut links differ in
the TARGET line syntax (which is an oddity of Windows it seems):
o What syntax combines 2 commands into a single shortcut TARGET line?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.msdos.batch/azQbz6D_v0Y>

o Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/Ou___EcjwKo>

> Also, it seems to be hit-and-miss whether you get a start menu (Windows 10
> style) or the infamous "mess of tiles" that covers most of the screen with
> huge icons that organise themselves at random (eg Word is not always two
> columns from the left on the third row).

You may not know this, but I've written many tutorials on how to wrest
control over Windows menus, ever since the Win95 days, where I feel, had
Microsoft hired me years ago, the menus would make sense today.

While I always try to gain control over the native menu system, I've
explained in many threads why Microsoft made that simple task difficult,
e.g.,
o Philosophy on a tutorial for setting up Windows in a well organized
KISS philosopy such that search is never needed & reinstall is trivial
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/1Gf59YRkaI8>

> I tend not to use the Start Menu on a regular basis, expect for Control
> Panel and Devices & Printers. or for accessing a rarely-used program.

To that end, I keep a shortcut to the "Run" command on my taskbar:
taskbar > Run > control

As described in this thread on pinning the Run icon to the taskbar:
o Is it even possible to pin the RUN command icon to the taskbar
WITHOUT surrendering to a Windows Search?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.msdos.batch/Ik_ejNXbrrw>

> For commonly-ones, I locate them in the Start Menu and then copy the shortcut to
> the desktop - and I screen-print the desktop when it's all set up so I can
> restore icons to the places where I've put them (grouped according to
> category) if Windows decides to move them - which seems to happen (but only
> occasionally) if I've accessed my PC's desktop remotely from my phone or
> laptop by Real VNC.

Yes. Indeed. Windows acts in strange ways, just like the proverbial
capricious Gods when it comes to messing up my carefully arranged desktop
also.

I suggest you put NOTHING on your desktop; put those valuable shortcuts in
your data directory (which is the only directory you ever need to back up),
and then you can simply copy that one directory tree to any newly set up
machine, and you're instantly good to go (it's what I do so I know it
works, and I've been doing this since, oh, I guess well into the Win95
days, where that one menu hierarchy works on all machines I've set up).

NOTE: I use a consistent hierarchy organized by FUNCTIONALITY (which almost
never changes over time), such as these samples would indicate:
o Taskbar > menu > archiver > veracrypt.lnk
o Taskbar > menu > browser > firefox.lnk
o Taskbar > menu > cleaner > ccleaner.lnk
etc.

To philosophize, I feel Microsoft screwed up on ORGANIZATION, where it's
trivial to organize a computer, IMHO (see aforementioned threads) if you
think about it ahead of time, since there are very few things you do,
overall, e.g., you "browse" and you "edit" and you "network", etc.,
so my systems (on my phone also) are organized by FUNCTIONALITY:
C:\apps\browsers
C:\apps\editors
C:\apps\networking
etc.

NOTE: I don't use plurals, but I added plurals above for illustrative
reasons, where my names are 8+3 and easily guessed (which is why I don't
use plurals, since it adds zero value & yet has to be typed correctly).

For the _same_ organizational strategy on my phone, see this screenshot:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/hjwRjQWV/homescreen01.jpg>

And, while iOS is shockingly primitive compared to every other common
consumer operating system, you can still organize by a similar
functionality hierarchy, as I have done on my iPads:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/QdmBcwGC/homescreen00.jpg>

In short, while both Microsoft & Google (and Apple) would have benefited
greatly had they hired me to define their overall user interface (i.e., the
whole world would have an easier time with what a lot of people have
trouble with), at least I can help you access everything from what we've
been calling the "start menu" (which is really the "taskbar menu").

> I'm used to Windows 7: I can "drive" it with me eyes closed (almost!) so I
> feel lost and wrong-footed if I try to use vanilla Win 10 without Classic
> Shell.

That's my whole point.

Notice even in Android, my entire system ports over _seamlessly_ from any
device, simply because they're all organized by FUNCTIONALITY (which almost
never changes over time!).

So on ANY Windows, from Win95 up, you copy over ONE menu hierarchy, and it
works OUT OF THE BOX (for the most part, depending on how CONSISTENT you
are) on ALL PC's you, yourself, set up.

All you have to do is be consistent with your organizational strategy,
which is a LOT easier than people think, as we all do the same things
(e.g., we browse, we print, we edit, etc.).
<https://i.postimg.cc/rwdW0vrW/apk01.jpg>

> It's a shame that Win 10 hasn't merged the Control Panel (traditional UI)
> and PC Settings (Modern UI) into a single set.

I'm not sure _what_ Microsoft is doing with the control panel lately...
o Microsoft is reputedly beginning to sunset the Control Panel system applet
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/APpB-RBSBCI>

> It is tedious to have to
> switch between the two because neither on its own can do *everything*.. I
> *much* prefer the traditional UI with a proper menu bar (instead of a
> cog-wheel or three-lines icon) to access settings.

Take a look at the aforementioned thread on the 250 things you can do with
the Start > Run menu, and let us know what's missing that you need.

For example, we added a bright red admin prompt command, as one sample:
o Efficient Windows Admin command prompt of any color in any desired location
<https://alt.msdos.batch.narkive.com/0mQlFn8s/efficient-windows-admin-command-prompt-of-any-color-in-any-desired-location>

The whole point of that permanently archived thread is to allow people like
you to do what we researched (which took lots of time & energy) for you.

If you can't do something you need to do, then it's time to update those
threads, where I consider a thread a permanent reference which can be
updated as long as my news server has the article that I can respond to.

> Modern is too pared-down
> (and dumbed-down) for my liking. Microsoft made a very serious mistake with
> Win 8 in trying to make a tablet-style minimalist UI the default.

Agreed. Paul and I tried to wrest control over the damn tiles, where you
end up in binaries as you dig deeper, so I just gave up on both the Win10
right side (orthogonal) menu and the Win10 left side (alphabetical) menus.

In fact, we've discussed on this ng many related ways to make Win10
efficient and organized, some of which are summarized in this thread:
o Is this the most efficient way to access most-used folders & the entire file system with the LEAST amount of clutter?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/e8etKofB/is-this-the-most-efficient-way-to-access-most-used-folders-the-entire-file-system-with-the-least>

> They
> should have made it much easier to switch between the two - "Make Windows 10
> look like all previous versions of Windows" versus "Use our new tablet-style
> UI", and that change should be one that can be made at any time on a
> per-user basis, not one that is system-wide and can only be configured at
> installation time.

Um... if you use what I suggest above, EVERY Windows version from about
Win95 to the latest Win10 can use the exact same menu folder.

It's what I do, so I know it works as I've been doing it for a decade or
two (I don't count how many years, and I do improve the organization over
time, but it's essentially the same for all Windows versions out there).

> But all that is a side issue to the problem with the graphics adaptor on VGA
> output. The only reason I use VGA / D-Sub is that my monitor has only one of
> each port (VGA, DVI, HDMI) and I like my main Win 7 PC on DVI to give the
> sharpest picture, with VGA for any other PC that I may connect temporarily
> (Win 10, Ubuntu), and HDMI for devices that *only* have an HDMI port (eg
> Raspberry Pi, on the rare occasions when I need to connect to it monitor and
> keyboard, because something is stopping me accessing it by Real VNC or
> PuTTY). I could get a KVM console switch, I suppose ;-)

Yes. I understand. I have graphics issues myself lately, as shown here:
o Windows 10 BSOD indicates a hardware problem - but what hardware is the problem?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/oL7PTNKu/windows-10-bsod-indicates-a-hardware-problem-but-what-hardware-is-the-problem>
--
Those who purposefully help others on Usenet are few and far between.

Arlen Holder

Aug 5, 2020, 8:54:03 PM8/5/20
UPDATE:

Start Run commands associated with the default Microsoft web browsers:
o Win+R > microsoft-edge:// <== gives you a choice of Edge browsers if both
o Win+R > microsoft-edge: <== brings up the current Edge browser if one
o Win+R > iexplore <== brings up Internet Explorer (if enabled)
o Win+R > microsoft-edge:about:blank <== opens default edge to a blank page
o Win+R > http://google.com <== brings it up in the default browser
o Win+R > microsoft-edge://google.com <== brings it up in the default Edge
o Win+R > cmd > start microsoft-edge: <== brings up the default Edge
o Win+R > cmd > start microsoft-edge:http://google.com <== opens that page
o Win+R > powershell > start microsoft-edge: <== brings up the default Edge
o Win+R > explorer > microsoft-edge: <== Windows file explorer address bar
o Win+R > shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
o Win+R > %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c "start microsoft-edge:http://google.com"
o Win+R > %comspec% /c start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge http://google.com
etc.

Note: Those latter entries are useful to create TARGETs to specific
web-page shortcuts, (where you can combine commands to quickly open any
number of web pages):
o What syntax combines 2 commands into a single shortcut TARGET line?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.msdos.batch/azQbz6D_v0Y>

You can even create an "edge" command to enable "Win+R > edge", e.g.,
o Win+R > shell:appsfolder
o Create a System32 (path) shortcut named "newedge" and "oldedge".
o Win+R > newedge <== you can also add to the "app paths" registry key

See details in:
o Tutorial to set up 3 Microsoft web browsers to work concurrently
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/fZlJTYRxYFg>

And in:
o Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve this Start Run commands list)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E>
--
Every post to Usenet archives should help someone now & in the future.

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 9:37:34 PM10/19/20
Restart the Windows explorer executable after making registry changes:
o Win+R > %comspec% /k taskkill /f /im explorer.exe & start explorer
--
o How to turn off those annoying mouse hover taskbar preview thumbnails
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/l80ibav9TGc>

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 10:29:12 PM10/21/20
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:35:06 -0400, micky wrote:

> Why do the win10 instruction pages encourage people strongly to use the
> search window (that appears when you press the windows key or click the
> Start button) to enter commands?
>
> When if you know the name of the command iiiuc you can enter it in the
> Run box, Winkey+R is one way, and then it will be saved for future use.
>
> The way the instructions do it, using the search box, if you misspell
> some long command, like "firefox -profilemanager" you have to type it
> over from the beginning.
>
> OTOH in the Run box there is a list of all the commands y ou've used
> successfully, so you only have to select, not type. And if you have a
> bad memory like me, you don't have to remember much because you can find
> it in the list.

BTW, I have no Cortana search icon since all you have to do is start typing
at the right point, and that, in and of itself, runs a search. (So you
don't need the wasted space of the "search" GUI since it's always there.)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:35:06 -0400, micky wrote:

> Why do the win10 instruction pages encourage people strongly to use the
> search window

I think perhaps they simply don't know what we know about these commands.
o Personally, my philosophy is if you have to search, you've already lost.

From the number of times I've seen lengthy instructions on how to search
for commands and even then, how to navigate through a stream of GUIs to get
to the final command, I suspect most instructions don't know the command.

For example, how many times have you seen convoluted instructions for
running something like sysdm.cpl in a given tab of a given wizard, which
can be summarized as the single "Win+R" command below?
o Win+R > systempropertiesprotection

Likewise, how many times have to seen convoluted instructions for opening
up an admin command window, when it's as simple as the following?
o Win+R > cmd {control+shift+enter}

You'll note I _always_ write tutorials using the "Win+R" commands if I know
them, which means my tutorials contain around 300 (by now) Win+R commands.
o Here are over 250 Win+R > Run commands to set your shortcut TARGET to
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E>

In summary, I think they simply don't know what we know.
--
Together we know more than any one of us can possibly know being all alone.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2020, 11:02:09 PM10/23/20
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 19:53:24 -0000, Opportunist wrote:

> "If there isn't an option for *Open file location*, it means the app
> can't run at startup."

Regarding this thread:
o Startup Apps
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/nBlUljsT/startup-apps>

That is interesting information about if there isn't that option:
o <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-app-to-run-automatically-at-startup-in-windows-10-150da165-dcd9-7230-517b-cf3c295d89dd>
"If there isn't an option for Open file location,
it means the app can't run at startup."

I don't use _any_ of what you call "MS Store type apps", I don't think.
o But can we not create a "shortcut" pointing to them?

If they do have a shortcut, can't one put a shortcut into a startup folder?
o Win+R > shell:startup

That is, can't one put a shortcut to a MS Store type app in here?
o Win+R > %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I do that, for example, to enable both versions of Microsoft Edge
coexisting, as shown in this thread which contains the details:
o Tutorial to set up 3 Microsoft web browsers (Edge UWB, new Edge, & Internet Explorer) to work concurrently coexisting peacefully even after subsequent Windows Updates
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/hUAf1lnum3E>

And, of course, we did that numerous times with batch commands, as shown in
this thread which contains the details on how to create that batch command:
o Efficient Windows Admin command prompt of any color in any desired location
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/8VZQJyKeAvE>

And, also with the task scheduler, which is shown in this thread.
o Expert help requested for removing UAC user account control task scheduler syntax
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/7wpgdNscZNA>

Or maybe simply by calling out a command in the AppPaths key on startup?
o What Windwos freeware adds powerful "phone Susan" & "vipw" commands?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/ySVGbayhLSk>

Given I don't even have a MS Store account, I don't know if I can test it
for the OP. Is there a "default" MS Store type app (maybe Edge?) that we
can make a shortcut to in order to test this out for the OP?

In summary though, wouldn't one or more of the following work for the OP?
1. Possibly put a shortcut to the MS Store app "Your Phone" in Startup?
2. If not, possibly use the Task Scheduler, batch command, or AppPaths key?
--
Together our combined knowledge of Windows tricks is immense indeed.

Arlen Holder

Oct 24, 2020, 12:55:44 AM10/24/20
See also:
o Tutorial for creating a "god mode" Run command for Windows 7 & up
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/Dn2SYf9TtIU>

We we create a "god mode" Run command:
o Win+R > god
--
Note minor corrections that I forgot a closing quote in the batch file,
and that there's an ending "dot" in the name of the original God Mode

Arlen Holder

Oct 28, 2020, 3:57:46 AM10/28/20
So that others benefit, I wrote this simple tutorial up to create a new
command named "task" (never use plurals, for simplicity), which brings up
the task scheduler in Windows.

0. Typing these brings up the task scheduler; but they're hard to remember.
o Win+R > %windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s
o Win+R > taskschd.msc /s
o Win+R > taskschd.msc
etc.

This is easier to remember:
o Win+R > task

1. Create a new shortcut that runs the task scheduler:
FILESPEC=c:\app\os\shortcut\task.lnk
TARGET=%windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s
STARTIN=%windir%\system32
Note: Choose your own desired logical locations & shortcut name.

2. Create an AppPaths registry key value pair pointing to that command:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\]
task.exe=c:\app\os\shortcut\task.lnk
Note: Choose your own desired command name (it must end with ".exe").

3. Test:
Win+R > task

Voila!
--
Note: Test each phase in series, as you run through the steps, e.g.,
a. Before you do anything, make sure "Win+R > task" doesn't do anything.

Arlen Holder

Oct 28, 2020, 5:10:32 AM10/28/20
Tutorial to add a killswitch to block those software installations
which may phone home during or after installation.

Please improve so that all benefit from every action you take.
o Note: Use whatever names & locations make sense for your setup.

1. Download any killswitch batch file, e.g., liquidvpn's killswitch:
<https://www.liquidvpn.com/vpn-kill-switches/>

That freeware batch text file can be downloaded with this URL:
<https://my.liquidvpn.com/dl.php?type=d&id=49>
Name: LiquidVPN-Kill-Switch.bat
Size: 2747 bytes (2 KiB)
SHA256: 933B7BD76EECB04D57A1A55E972C868D0460EB21021C16ED0ABC0B02EBD532A7

Save it into your software archive location & rename as desired:
X:\archive\os\bat\gateway.bat

2. Test & modify that gateway killswitch batch file as desired.
For example, rename & copy to "c:\app\os\bat\gateway.bat"
Modify the default gateway IP address, if needed.
Modify the commands presented to the user, if desired.
etc.

3. Create & test a (temporary) new shortcut to run that new batch command:
FILESPEC = c:\app\os\lnk\gateway.lnk
TARGET = C:\app\os\bat\gateway.bat
STARTIN = C:\app\os\bat <== this doesn't really matter

Note that when you run the shortcut, a Windows UAC consent form pops up.

4. Point to that shortcut in the system registry AppPaths key:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\]
gateway.exe=c:\app\os\lnk\gateway.lnk

Note: Choose any desired key name not in use (it must end with ".exe").

5. Test the new command you just created:
Win+R > gateway

NOTE: While it works, the UAC Account Control Consent prompt pops up.

6. Create a scheduled task so that you can eliminate the UAC consent prompt.
Win+R > %windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s
Create a new basic task (where the exact name is important for use later!)
Name = UAC Gateway Task
[x]Run with highest privileges <== this removes the UAC consent prompt
Start a program = c:\app\os\bat\gateway.bat

7. Modify the original shortcut to now call that scheduled task:
FILESPEC = c:\app\os\lnk\gateway.lnk
TARGET = C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /TN "UAC Gateway Task"
STARTIN = C:\app\os\bat <== this doesn't really matter

8. Test the scheduled task which now eliminates the UAC consent prompt:
Win+R > gateway

Voila!
You now can set & unset the gateway without a UAC consent prompt.

9. If desired, copy that shortcut into your cascade accordion menu:
c:\menu\os\lnk\gateway.lnk
Which is already permanently pinned to your taskbar as a "toolbar".
Taskbar > menu > os > gateway.lnk
--
As always, please improve so that all benefit from every Usenet post.

Arlen Holder

Oct 28, 2020, 10:31:10 AM10/28/20
To round out the tutorial, create a new "registry" command
which works alongside regedit.exe to provide UAC-free access.

Results:
o Win+R > registry
This new command points to an existing Windows command
(to open the registry sans UAC prompts).
o Win+R > task
This new command points to an existing Windows applet
(to open the task manager sans UAC prompts).
o Win+R > gateway
This new command points to a new batch command
(to kill/restart the gateway sans UAC prompts).

1. Test that the command you'll invoke already exists in Windows:
o Win+R > %windir%\regedit.exe

Note: This should bring up the registry editor (after UAC assent).

2. Test that the command you'll create doesn't currently exist:
o Win+R > registry

Note: It should error saying "Windows cannot find 'registry'.

3. Create a new shortcut that runs the desired command:
FILESPEC = c:\app\os\lnk\registry.lnk
TARGET = %windir%\regedit.exe
STARTIN = %windir% <== this doesn't seem to matter

4. Test your new (temporary) shortcut:
o Win+R > c:\app\os\lnk\registry.lnk

Note: This should bring up the registry editor (after UAC assent).

5. Create an AppPaths registry key value pair pointing to that command:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\]
registry.exe = c:\app\os\lnk\registry.lnk

6. Test your new command name:
o Win+R > registry

Note: This should bring up the registry editor (after UAC).

7. Create a new background task which runs without invoking UAC access:
Win+R > %windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s
Rightclick on "Task Scheduler Library" > Create Task
[General] Name = UAC Regedit Task
[General] [x]Run with highest privileges
[Actions] > [New] > Start a program
[Actions] Program/script: %windir%\regedit.exe
[OK][OK] Registry:File > Exit

Note: If you prefer to also attain focus, then substitute this:
Win+R > %windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s
Rightclick on "Task Scheduler Library" > Create Task
[General] Name = UAC Regedit Task
[General] [x]Run with highest privileges
[Actions] > [New] > Start a program
[Actions] Program/script: %comspec%
[Actions] Add arguments (optional) = /c start "" regedit.exe
[OK][OK] Registry:File > Exit

8. Modify the shortcut to run that task sans invoking UAC access assent:
FILESPEC = c:\app\os\lnk\registry.lnk
TARGET = C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /TN "UAC Regedit Task"
STARTIN = %windir% <== I don't think this matters

9. Copy that shortcut to your taskbar cascade accordion menu:
copy c:\app\os\lnk\registry.lnk c:\menu\os\lnk\registry.lnk

10. Test
Win+R > registry
Taskbar > menu > os > lnk > registry

Note: In both tests, the registry should open sans UAC access assent.

Voila!
--
As always, please improve so all benefit from every post on Usenet.

Arlen Holder

Oct 28, 2020, 8:00:26 PM10/28/20
See also:
o Win+I > Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & network protection > Allow an app through firewall
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/zhlvqwrGOJU>

Which contains useful commands, such as:
o Win+R > wf.msc

Arlen Holder

Nov 4, 2020, 1:56:48 PM11/4/20
Before I forget, here's yet another useful Win+R command:
o Win+R > ms-settings:privacy-microphone
<https://i.postimg.cc/Y00X4TFS/audacity02.jpg>

As described in this nascent tutorial to get Audacity to record audio
_without_ even having a working microphone on your desktop computer.
o Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/fXrtth_A1xg>

Arlen Holder

Nov 11, 2020, 2:51:24 PM11/11/20
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 19:21 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), John K.Eason wrote:

> has the same effect as clicking the Network and Sharing entry in CP.

Thanks for confirming that it works for you.
o Win+R > control sysdm.cpl
o Win+R > control /name Microsoft.System
o Win+R > control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter
etc.

What we need is the right set of commands to test.
o I don't know _which_ those commands are (those were just guesses)

We need:
a. Commands that used to work
b. Commands that no longer work

> TBH I'd just go to Control Panel and click the links there, but each to his/her
> own! :^)

Hehhehheh... it's a pet peeve of mine that people go to all sorts of
trouble to explain the simplest things via a Microsoft GUI that constantly
changes, e.g., oh, say, "how to open an admin command window".

a. They can spend a hundred words telling you how to find it in "search",
b. Or, you can just type "cmd" followed by a three-fingered keystroke
Win+R > cmd {control+shift+enter}

One huge advantage of the Run commands is that you can insert them into
shortcuts, which makes it a _lot_ fewer steps for things you frequently do.
FILESPEC = c:\app\os\links\shutitdown.lnk
TARGET = shutdown.exe /r /f /t 5 /c "Reboot in 5 seconds!"
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\shutitdown.exe]

Then, any time you want to shut it down, you just type:
Win+R > shutitdown

Other GUIs, if you do them frequently enough, you can simply remember them:
o Win+R > control
o Win+R > powercfg.cpl
o Win+R > systempropertiesprotection
o Win+R > ms-settings:privacy-microphone
o Win+R > devicemanager
etc.

Still others are simply one-word Run "commands"
o Win+R > winver
o Win+R > rstrui
o Win+R > verifier
o Win+R > perfmon /rel
etc.

See also:
o Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve this Start Run commands list)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E/DH_FxVCjAAAJ>

Arlen Holder

Nov 11, 2020, 3:03:43 PM11/11/20
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 19:51:18 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> One huge advantage of the Run commands is that you can insert them into
> shortcuts, which makes it a _lot_ fewer steps for things you frequently do.
> FILESPEC = c:\app\os\links\shutitdown.lnk
> TARGET = shutdown.exe /r /f /t 5 /c "Reboot in 5 seconds!"
> [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\shutitdown.exe]
>
> Then, any time you want to shut it down, you just type:
> Win+R > shutitdown

I should have also noted if you add a task and set it to the highest
priority, then you can skip the user account control prompt for this:

Win+R > shutitdown

This will...
a. Skip UAC prompts (due to an elevated task you set up once)
b. Run the command (due to an AppPaths key you set up once)
c. You can even link commands in the shortcut target using an ampersand (&)

In summary, you can create one-word commands that do all sorts of things:
o Win+R > killit

Which runs a shortcut whose multi-command target is, for example...

%comspec% /c taskkill.exe /im "firefox.exe" /t /f & taskkill.exe /im
"chrome.exe" /t /f & taskkill.exe /im "gvim.exe" & ROUTE.EXE delete 0.0.0.0
192.168.0.1 & VeraCrypt.exe /silent /dismount /force%comspec% /c
taskkill.exe /im "tor.exe" /t /f & taskkill.exe /im "torrent.exe" /t /f &
taskkill.exe /im "gateway.exe" & ROUTE.EXE delete 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 &
VeraCrypt.exe /silent /dismount /force

The four key Windows tricks _everyone_ should know, IMHO, are:
A. How to target a multi-command shortcut
B. How to set up an AppPaths Run command to that multi-command shortcut
C. How to skip the UAC prompt for that multi-command shortcut

For example, on my system, these types of efficient commands work fine:
o Win+R > regedit (this is what everyone is familiar with)
o Win+R > regopen (this opens the registry without any other prompt)
o Win+R > regjump <key> (this opens up that very key from the run command)
etc.
--
Windows tricks enable you do be more efficient if you just know how.

Arlen Holder

Nov 12, 2020, 7:11:29 PM11/12/20
Rene Lamontagne <rla...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>>> I may have lost my marbles today, can't find advanced settings to do
>>> swapfile settings, version 20H2 19042.630, used to be in Control
>>> panel>system.
>>
>> start/settings/system/about/advanced-system-settings/advanced/performance-settings/advanced/virtual-memory/change
>>

> Thanks Andy, I would never have found it, even search didn't help,
> They are sure making things harder to find for no apparent reason.

From VanguardLH...

They haven't yet gotten rid of Control Panel.

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced tab ->
Performance settings -> Advanced -> Change

That's the old way (pre-Windows 10) of finding the pagefile settings.
There are also shortcuts used by running control.exe with parameters, or
by running the .cpl or .msc applets. While some still run the old
Control Panel applets, but Microsoft has stolen a couple away and they
now point to the settings wizards.

https://www.howtogeek.com/255586/learn-these-handy-shortcuts-to-get-around-the-windows-control-panel/
control access.cpl: Accessibility Options
appwiz.cpl: Add/Remove Programs
bthprops.cpl: Bluetooth Devices
timedate.cpl: Time/Date Properties
desk.cpl: Display Properties
inetcpl.cpl: Internet Properties
joy.cpl: Joystick Properties
main.cpl: Mouse Properties
main.cpl keyboard: Keyboard Properties
mmsys.cpl: Multimedia/Sound Properties
ncpa.cpl: Network Connections
powercfg.cpl: Power Options
sysdm.cpl: System Properties
wscui.cpl: Windows Security Center
firewall.cpl: Windows Firewall
hdwwiz.cpl: Device Manager (*)
intl.cpl: Windows Region Settings
telephon.cpl: Phone and Modem Settings
tabletpc.cpl: Tablet Settings (unavailable on non-tablet PCs)

(*) I still use devmgmt.msc. The MMC panels (.msc files) are also handy
to have shortcuts. Some are described at the article below, but some
won't run on Home edition of Windows, especially those that affect
policies, and you cannot define shortcuts for some because the Home
edition doesn't have a matching file:

http://www.auditiait.es/en/list-of-commands-msc/

There's also creating the God mode folder which will show all the
Control Panel wizards in a grouped flat list. Create a new folder and
name it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

For the pagefile settings, you'd go into this folder and scroll down to
System -> View advanced system setting. Alas, although you can right-
click on this folder to Pin to Start menu, the folder won't show up
there. However, I created a new folder (Control Panel shortcuts) and
dragged the God.Mode folder inside that, along with all the above quick
shortcuts. I then right-clicked on my Control Panel shortcuts folder
and pinned that to the Start menu.

To get acquainted with the Windows 10 wizards, I try using them.
However, sometimes I give up drilling through all the wizards, and go
back to my Control Panel shortcuts folder (which also has the CPL and
MSC shortcuts).
--
See also:

o Tutorial for creating a "god mode" Run command for Windows 7 & up
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/Dn2SYf9TtIU>

Arlen Holder

Nov 13, 2020, 3:05:43 PM11/13/20
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 20:47:31 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> I may have lost my marbles today, can't find advanced settings to do
>> swapfile settings, version 20H2 19042.630, used to be in Control
>> panel>system.
>
> start/settings/system/about/advanced-system-settings/advanced/performance-settings/advanced/virtual-memory/change

Hi Andy,

I tried to get to that "Advanced" tab in a _single_ step; but failed.
o So the shortest I could make it, just by testing, was two steps.
Win+R > systempropertiesperformance > Advanced (tab) > [Change...]

The trick is knowing this simple Windows 10 executable exists:
o Win+R > %windir%\system32\SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe

Can you try this out for me to see if it also works for you?
o Win+R > systempropertiesperformance

If that works for you (as it does for me), maybe this will work for the OP:
mklink %userprofile%\desktop\systempropertiesperformance.exe
%windir%\system32\systempropertiesperformance.exe

However, I couldn't get that link to automatically open to the "Advanced"
tab.
o Can you?
--
EVERYTHING BELOW IS A DETAIL ON THE ABOVE:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/3rsypchD/page01.jpg> 16GB pagefile, active dump

Regarding settings, I've been there myself, recently, for my BSOD thread:
o Given a 16GB pagefile.sys size, why is my BSOD crash log only 2GB?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/9zacrNb657k>
o What else in Win10 can we turn off that hinders successful rebooting
after a BSOD event that can chew up the operating system?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/DlMnG1klEhc>
o Windows 10 BSOD indicates a hardware problem - but what hardware is the
problem?
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/oL7PTNKu/windows-10-bsod-indicates-a-hardware-problem-but-what-hardware-is-the-problem>
<http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1110105>
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/u0ay9h777Wg>
etc.

Where, purely for efficiency, we should be able to do it in fewer steps.

To see if we can shorten that specific process to fewer steps:
start/settings/system/about/advanced-system-settings/advanced/performance-settings/advanced/virtual-memory/change

1. First thing I did was follow those exact steps, which translated,
at least on my Win10 v2004, to the following more specific steps:
o Win+I > System > About > Related settings (section) System info
(that pops up the cp set to "Control Panel\System and Security\System")
Advanced system settings (left section)
(that pops up a "System Properties" form set to the "Advanced" tab)
Performance (section) [Settings...] (button)
(that pops up "Performance Options" set to the "Visual Effects" tab)
Advanced (tab)
Virtual memory (section) [Change...] (button)
(that pops up "Virtual Memory" with the "C:" drive already pre selected)
Here are the options to change the "Paging file size for each drive"

That answers the original question...
o But my quest (always) is how to get there in fewer steps.

2. Certainly we can get to the control panel "System" in a single step.
o Win+R > control /name Microsoft.System

3. Just as certainly, we can get to "System Properties" in a single step.
o Win+R > control sysdm.cpl

4. Even better, we can get to its "Advanced" tab in a single step.
o Win+R > SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe

5. From there, we can follow through:
o Win+R > systempropertiesadvanced > Performance (section):
[Settings...]
Advanced (tab) > Virtual memory (section): [Change...]

6. But even better, we can lop off a step from the above sequence:
o Win+R >systempropertiesperformance > Advanced > [Change...]

Note: I tried to get to the "Advanced" tab in one step, but failed.