Herb for Id 240310JM1

J.M. Garg

Mar 24, 2010, 3:56:56 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia

Date/Time- on 21/3/10 at around 9 a.m.

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- in Joka Marshes, Kolkata

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Herb

Height/Length- around 25 cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb for Id I IMG_4657.jpg
Herb for Id I2 IMG_4656.jpg
Herb for Id I IMG_4656.jpg

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 24, 2010, 9:59:50 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
Sir,
May be a Commelinaceae member, May be from the genera Commelina

On Mar 23, 11:56 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Date/Time- *on 21/3/10 at around 9 a.m.*
>
> Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *in Joka Marshes, Kolkata*
>
> Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- *Wild *
>
> Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- *Herb*

> Height/Length- around 25 cm
>
> Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-
>
> Inflorescence Type/ Size-
>
> Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-
>
> Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-
>
> Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-
> --
> With regards,

> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies, Plants
> etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>

>  Herb for Id I IMG_4657.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  Herb for Id I2 IMG_4656.jpg
> 214KViewDownload
>
>  Herb for Id I IMG_4656.jpg
> 185KViewDownload

tanay bose

Mar 24, 2010, 12:07:01 PM3/24/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Garg Ji,
This plant is Commelina sp but the spathes are not visible in the photo and I think the leaves and stem seen in the photo can be of the grasses growing around . But I guess it as C diffusa.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Mayur Nandikar

Mar 24, 2010, 2:05:41 PM3/24/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Hello,
Is there only single Individual or population? Because such type of petal shape I never seen before in Commelina. If it is with only individual then might be an Commelina maculata. C. maculata is having marshy habit and lvs are lanceolate just lke in u r photographs.
Thanx

Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,
Department of Botany,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur.

tanay bose

Mar 24, 2010, 2:53:44 PM3/24/10
to Mayur Nandikar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Mayur ji,
According to the eFlora of China  Commelina maculata Edgeworth, Trans. Linn. Soc. London, Bot. 20: 89. 1851.[Syn: Commelina obliqua Buchanan-Hamilton ex D. Don var. viscida C. B. Clarke; C. paludosa Blume var. viscida (C. B. Clarke) R. S. Rao & Kammathy.] has blue petals, 2 anterior ones is 10 mm, posterior one ca. 4 mm. Which mean the posterior petal will be nearly less than half the size of anterior ones, this character is completely missing from the plant photo provided by Garg Ji, where all the petals are of nearly equal sizes. In the link below you will find lot of pictures of C maculata uploaded by Garg Ji in WIKIMEDIA COMMONS the leaf structure also doesn't match with this plant.

Regards
Tanay

TANAY BOSE

Mar 24, 2010, 3:14:41 PM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Garg Ji,
After a bit of search I came to known that there is a species of
Commelina which has similar leaf, floral & stem morphology to that of
your photo and also prefers to grown in the marshy condition.
Commelina cyanea has been called "scurvy weed" as it was used by early
European settlers to avoid or alleviate scurvy. It is a weak trailing
perennial herb, generally prostrate or nearly so, with fleshy stems
growing up to 1-2 metres in length. It superficially resembles the
common introduced weed, wandering jew (Trandescantia fluminensis; syn
T.albiflora), but differs in that the lance-shaped (lanceolate) leaves
are narrower and it has bright blue (rather than white) flowers
occurring over the summer and early autumn period. Scurvy weed tends
to grow rapidly in warm and/or wet weather and die back in the cooler,
dryer months. This plant has been recorded from wetlands of India and
specialy you will be happy to know that West Bengal is considered as
one of it's favourable regions. In the link below you will find a
complete disertation thesis submitted by a forestry student of
Bangladesh which was later published supports by thinking,

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ZoJqSfemvxEJ:www.fao.org/forestry/webview/media%3FmediaId%3D14612%26langId%3D1+Commelina+cyanea+%2B+west+bengal+%2Bindia&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESir9K1-5M61alsBQcixDwMm8Fx_dTT5IboHrh1vvIYJ4zhaqNMSTyvVvQlsQMUUbotjQNRcV2iKudfzg7Rl3cSWBogV5LloXYUpatKorc1mf8UKk8iYi2QtMVtoYge3Lk-wH4TL&sig=AHIEtbSDQUsORd3zssBmpDYu4W8uOwmCbg

Regards
Tanay

On Mar 24, 11:53 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>
> >> --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
> > Research Student,
> > Department of Botany,
> > Shivaji University,
> > Kolhapur.
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --

> Tanay Bose              +91(033) 25550676        +91(033) 25550676(Resi)              9830439691        9830439691(Mobile)              9674221362        9674221362(Mobile)- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Mar 24, 2010, 10:22:07 PM3/24/10
to Mayur Nandikar, efloraofindia, tanay bose
Thanks, Mayur ji, for the feedback.
I saw many such plants in the area.

J.M. Garg

Mar 24, 2010, 10:50:06 PM3/24/10
to TANAY BOSE, efloraofindia, mayur nandikar, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

tanay bose

Mar 25, 2010, 12:01:21 AM3/25/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mayur nandikar, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman
Thank You Garg ji for you positive responses..... I never came across this plant in Kolkata hence it was quite hard for me to identify it but ultimately happy because the identification was completed successfully without any ambiguities.
Tanay

+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

surajitkoley

Nov 16, 2012, 1:53:55 PM11/16/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J. M. Garg

Mayur Nandikar

Nov 16, 2012, 11:31:18 PM11/16/12
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Something really interesting Garg ji,
Actually my earlier feedback was too rough. But now I feel this could be a something interesting one. First I thought it may be a Commelina coelestis Willd. [=C. tuberosa] but in coelestis spathe is on long peduncle and ciliate at margins, more rounded in shape, leaves are also ovate, it is also in India but its ornamental one and I have collection of It from Ooty, it is planted for its beautiful flowers. In result, posted plant is not C. coelestis. One more possibility is there, of C. dianthifolia Deille, but it is Mexican plant never documented before in India. And if it is true then it could be a new addition to Indian flora.
But for that you have to observe the capsule and seed along with the roots (either they are tuberous or not).
But I strongly feel this could be a C. dianthifolia
If possible will you please check above mentioned characters.
Thank you. Your efforts is always crucial for Indian flora and I am obliged that I am a part of this eFlora family.

Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,
Department of Botany,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur.
07507013607

jmgarg1

Nov 17, 2012, 2:21:55 AM11/17/12
to Mayur Nandikar, efloraofindia, surajit koley, Tanay Bose
Hi, Mayur ji,
It was previously identified as Commelina cyanea by Tanay ji.
Here is the complete link:
Pl. have a look at the earlier feedback.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Nov 17, 2012, 8:07:53 AM11/17/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Good evening Garg Sir,

I feel that i should not stop merely by leaving a comment in this thread. I think one should avoid remarks like "this cannot be such and such" without explaining reason behind his/her thought.

I think taxonomy is a dynamic process, and in no way should be taken for granted, or should be shelved permanently once the id has been suggested/established. I am sorry for my big talk.

I was searching Commelina (for my new post - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/lREo-tTRf1U/discussion) last night and came across your post.

In this thread you pasted three links in support of the supposed id of C. cyanea R. Br. One of those three links, http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Commelina~cyanea, clearly states, "Leaves with lamina ovate to narrow-ovate...". The pictures in the other two links support this. Tanay Ji must have missed this view. This species can not be C. cyanea,

I attach pages from Bengal Plants and F. B. I. and i think you species might be C. salicifolia Roxb. Please note the Bengali name of the plant, PANI KANCHIRA, seemingly denoting to the habitat of the plant.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
Hooker_FBI_vol6_p370part_commelina.jpg
Prain_BP_vol2_p1082part_commelina.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2013, 5:26:28 AM1/12/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, mayur nandikar
I finally visited the place with Mayur Nandikar ji on date. The species seems to be Commelina diffusa Burm.f. as per details at https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/a---l/cl/commelinaceae/commelina/commelina-diffusa
The whole plant has prostrate habit, while the flowering branches appears to be erect.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2030 members & 1,42,000 messages on 31/12/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

surajit koley

Jan 12, 2013, 10:42:09 AM1/12/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mayur nandikar
Thank you Garg Sir, this might help me understand my species in - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/1qfuvfTDdvU.

Regards,

surajit