sk2015sept06/06 - unlikely to be Commelina diffusa Burm.f.

surajit koley

Sep 8, 2015, 1:47:35 PM9/8/15
to efloraofindia
This set is from my earlier thread of C. diffusa Burm.f. - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/6Xf1XiDWPRE/GHSUyRUuI2IJ

FoC specifies 2 longer petals blue, 4.2-6 mm. Here they seem to be larger than that.
FoNA specifies proximal petal smaller. Here all petals equal, at least not smaller.

A similar looking one was identified as C. longifolia in a flickr acc - https://www.flickr.com/photos/haile/2384267981/in/photostream/

On Roxburgh's C. salicifolia (C. longifolia Lam. of BSI) Haines wrote "petals equal except that the lower has a shorter claw." Haines also wrote flowers are smaller than in "nudiflora" (C. diffusa Burm. f.).

On C. hasskarlii C.B. Cl., Haines recorded, "close to C. salicifolia, differing by the broader leaves, inflated sheaths, less acuminate spathes rarely over .8 inch.... ."

KEW has a herbarium of C. hasskarlii from UP - http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000794517

Can it be C. hasskarlii C.B.Cl. of my table?

Thank you
Regards

com_26oct12_nkl_02.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_03.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_04.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_08.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 14, 2015, 3:11:40 AM9/14/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

com_26oct12_nkl_02.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_03.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_04.jpg
com_26oct12_nkl_08.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 15, 2015, 2:22:50 PM9/15/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I think this species is C. longifolia Lam.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

J.M. Garg

Sep 28, 2015, 6:54:34 AM9/28/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley

Forwarding again for validation please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

I think this species is C. longifolia Lam.
Thank you
Regards
surajit koley

Sep 28, 2015, 7:31:59 AM9/28/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, manudev madhavan
Thanks, Manudev ji.

Sep 28, 2015, 1:53:43 PM9/28/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, manudev madhavan
Thanks to Manudev Ji and Garg Sir.

Thank you
Regards
(simply) surajit koley