not able to upload photos into atom

Elizabeth George

Dec 3, 2017, 11:28:33 PM12/3/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
I am not able to upload photos into atom.

Thank you

Regards

Elizabeth George

Dan Gillean

Dec 4, 2017, 11:34:14 AM12/4/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

Can you tell me more about your AtoM installation? What version do you have installed? Did you follow our recommended installation instructions? If yes, are you using Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04? If no, what changes have you made?

Instructions for uploading digital objects can be found here:
One important thing to note is that currently, the digital object uploads are performed synchronously - that is, on-demand, in real time, via the web browser. Because most web browsers have a built in timeout limit of about 1 minute (to prevent long-running requests from consuming all resources like memory and crashing your browser), your upload may fail if the digital object is too big. Note that during installation, there is also a 64MB limit set on the size of file uploads, which you can change the AtoM configuration file. I've previously discussed this in the forum here:
Note however that anything larger than 64MB is definitely going to time out in the browser. If you have larger files you wish to import, you might consider doing so either via CSV import, or using the digital object load task on the command line.

For CSV import - the AtoM archival description CSV can support 2 different columns related to digital objects - the digitalObjectURI column, and the digitalObjectPath column.
AtoM 2.4 includes the ability to update existing records via CSV import - so you could potentially use this to add digital objects to existing descriptions. This would require you to have server access, to be able to place a folder of digital objects there, which you can refer to in the import CSV. In this case, you would do something like the following:
  • Find the archival hierarchy with records to which you want to add digital objects. Add it to the Clipboard - instructions on using the clipboard here
  • Use the export option on the clipboard to download a CSV of the records - be sure to include all desendants. See instructions here
  • The AtoM CSV has 2 columns that can be used for digital objects.
    • If your digital objects are already available on the web, you can use the digitalObjectURI column to provide a path to them - AtoM will create local copies for use
    • If you want to upload them from a directory on your server, then you can change the CSV column to be named digitalObjectPath - and then provide a path to the location where you place them on your server. For example, from your root AtoM directory, you could create a new directory called "imports" and put the objects in there - then the file path would look like /usr/share/nginx/atom/imports/file1.pdf - or something similar, depending on how you've installed
  • Now you can import the CSV, using the "Match and update" options, and "Skip unmatched records" (to avoid creating duplicate records if no match is found). See instructions here
Another option is to use the digital object load command-line task, described here:
One last thing to mention. If you are receiving errors during upload, or the upload is happening but there are no local copies (like the thumbnail in search results) available, please make sure you have the following dependencies installed:
The instructions for installation are found in our general installation documentation, here:
If you have them installed, and need to regenerate the derivatives, a system administrator can try the following command:
The ideal long-term solution would be for us to add support for uploading digital objects asynchronously, using the job scheduler to avoid timeouts. This would require new feature development, meaning we'd need to find community sponsors to be able to add this to a future public release. For more information on our development philosophy and open source business model, please see:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Instagram Pinterest Vimeo

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorised disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. King's Christian College is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the College.

Elizabeth George

Dec 4, 2017, 5:49:38 PM12/4/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I use Application version 2.1.2 -110.

 What is Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04? Where should I look for this?

I didn't make any changes.

When I click onto more > selected import digital objects > I have attached what the screen shot  >

Thank you
Regards
Elizabeth George

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.46.28 am.png

Dan Gillean

Dec 4, 2017, 5:56:24 PM12/4/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

You will need to ensure that your browser has a Flash plugin installed, and that it is enabled. In later versions of AtoM, that page will give you a warning to enable or install Flash if it is not detected, but in 2.1 you just get a blank screen. Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Elizabeth George

Dec 4, 2017, 6:23:42 PM12/4/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much Dan.
Now its working perfectly.

Thank you very much once again.

Elizabeth George | Library Technician
King’s Christian College |Locked Bag 70 Burleigh Post Office QLD 4220
Phone:  07 5587 7600 | Fax: 07 5587 7605 |