basic URI question

lda...@alumni.ubc.ca

May 25, 2017, 4:28:14 PM5/25/17
to AtoM Users
I am having trouble filling in the digitalObjectURI column on CSVs I am uploading into AtoM 2.3.1. I have a path that works fine in the browser (Explorer or Chrome) but that doesn't work in the CSV. This path is like K:\Scanned Documents\scanned\100\100 0006 v1.pdf. I tried messing with syntax and adding the scheme (ex. file:) and the name of the local host and using forward slashes. None of the things I did worked.

Is there a way to enter this path into the digitalObjectURI column?

Thanks!

Dan Gillean

May 25, 2017, 4:47:34 PM5/25/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

A couple tips that might help:

First, it should use forward slashes  - e.g. path/to/my/file.pdf

Second, the digitalObjectURI column is to reference web accessible resources - so they begin with http:// and should be accessible on the web. It's likely that this path works in your browser because you have this network drive mounted on that specific computer - but would the same path work if you tried it from home?

You can add a column to the CSV import template called digitalObjectPath if you want to upload local content - however, in this case, the objects must be on the same server as AtoM, in a directory accessible to you from there - so if your AtoM instance is installed at /usr/share/nginx/atom, you could create a temporary folder called documents and add your digital objects there. In that case, your digitalObjectPath value might be /usr/share/nginx/atom/documents/1000 0006 v1.pdf - though I think you should be able to just refer to it in the CSV as documents/1000 0006 v1.pdf. I don't think that pointing at another drive - e.g. K: - is going to work, unfortunately.

In both cases, the path MUST end in a file extension - so you can't just point to a YouTube video page for example, because YouTube purposefully obfuscates the actual movie file so you can't download it directly by right-click and saving. If you were looking at an image on a webage, you would generally want to right-click and select "View image" (or whatever your browser's equivalent option is) to see the direct path to the object that ends in .jpg.

I hope that helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.