equip...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2016, 11:04:47 AM7/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi everyone,

even though I change the upload limit on settings, I still receive the message that my upload exceeds 64MB.
What should I do?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas
Arquivologia UnB/STM

Dan Gillean

Jul 13, 2016, 11:59:33 AM7/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

There are a few places to check, and quite a few factors that can impact the size of uploads. In addition to the option in Admin > Settings, there is also a limit in the config/app.yml configuration file. See:

Note that there are also other settings in PHP that might affect your ability to import digital objects - to change these you will have to locate your php.ini file. You might want to check on values usch as Max execution time, Memory limit, Max file size, etc. This PHP page includes some tips and common pitfalls for uploads:

If you are using AtoM in multi-repository environment, you might also want to make sure there is not a specific limit on your repository. See:

Finally, remember that if you are trying to upload a file bigger than 64MB via the user interface, the upload likely will not work anyway at the moment. When you upload something through the user interface, everything must happen via the browser. Most browsers have a timeout limit of about 1 minute - so anything that takes longer to upload will time out and fail.

If you want to upload larger files, it is best done via the command-line. You could use the digital object import CSV instructions we have in our documentation, here:

In the future, we could do further development so that the upload through the user interface is performed as a job, using the new job scheduler that is included in AtoM 2.2. This would allow the upload to be executed asynchronously in the background as a job, managed by the job scheduler - this way, you would not experience timeout errors when trying to upload large files to AtoM. However, this development has not yet been sponsored for inclusion in AtoM. We are, however, already starting development to support bulk/large EAD and CSV imports via the user interface using the job scheduler for 2.4.

If this functionality sounds important to you and your institution might be interested in sponsoring it for inclusion in a future list, please feel free to contact me off-list, and Artefactual could prepare a development estimate for you.

Kind regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.