How to group/hierarchy/prioritise using super and subtasking

Lewis Dexter Litanzios / ldexterldesign

Nov 2, 2014, 6:04:42 PM11/2/14
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I've been using GQueues + GTD almost daily for >3yrs now

On the whole very happy with how I've cultivated my system and all the GQueues bastardisations I've put in place

However, for about the same amount of time [3yrs] I've been battling with scope and the chore of refactoring large [project] tasks into more atomic, bite sized, tasks (can you tell I'm a web developer) ~ https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqueues/aZOvajEU7XE/R5lMvUduOQwJ

Fed up with my inconsistencies I wrote up some guidelines today:
# GQueues

## Super/subtasking (i.e. indenting/nesting)

Indent/nest subtasks (children) within their supertask (parent) to group:
- Buy shopping
  - Buy shopping -- street
  - Buy shopping -- online
  - Buy shopping -- foo
  - Buy shopping -- bar

... and/or codify hierarchy:
- Buy shopping -- street
  - Buy shopping -- online
    - Buy shopping -- foo
      - Buy shopping -- bar (bar must happen before foo)

Avoid indenting/nesting >3 levels deep by refactoring (supertasking) and use numeral prefixes (e.g. 01, 02) to denote hierarchy instead of indentation/nesting:
- Buy shopping -- street
  - Buy shopping -- online
    - 01 Buy shopping -- foo
    - 02 Buy shopping -- bar

Avoid ambiguity if possible (i.e. "Buy shopping")
- Buy shopping 2014/11/01
  - Buy shopping -- online 2014/11/15

... better, then allows us to complete atomic tasks:
- Buy shopping -- street 2014/11/01
- Buy shopping -- online 2014/11/15

Undated subtasks are assumed to share their supertask's date due date/deadline:
Buy shopping 2014/11/01
  Buy shopping -- online
  Buy shopping -- street

I hope they're useful to some of you, and if you have any feedback I'd love to hear how you're addressing the same problem/s

Regards,
--
ldexterldesign ldexterldesign
Lewis Dexter Litanzios

Lewis Dexter Litanzios

Nov 2, 2014, 6:14:45 PM11/2/14
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Correction:
"Undated subtasks are assumed to share their supertask's due date/deadline"

Apologies,

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Nov 13, 2014, 2:11:11 PM11/13/14
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Lewis!  Thanks for sharing this with the community! -Cameron

Cameron Henneke
Founder, GQueues

"The leading Google-integrated task management service for people and teams."