Don't reorder subtasks

Alex Cleater

Jul 22, 2013, 9:57:51 AM7/22/13
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron and everyone,

I'd really love to be able to reorder tasks in a queue without the subtasks being reordered. When all the main tasks are closed so that no subtasks are showing, only these main tasks should be reordered when the option is selected. It doesn't always make sense for the subtasks to be reordered too.

In my example, the main tasks need to be sorted by name, and the subtasks sorted by date.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Cleater

Aug 30, 2013, 12:22:24 PM8/30/13
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Bump. Am I the only one?

Cameron, have you read my post? I know it's probably not a high priority feature request, but it would nice to see this idea on your list at some level.

Thanks everyone.

Alex

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Aug 30, 2013, 3:02:41 PM8/30/13
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex -

I'll have to give this some thought, on how to make it simple and intuitive.  Having different reordering options for different levels of tasks seems to make things a bit complex.  Are you reordering by one option now and then manually reordering subtasks to the desired order?  I'll put this on the list as something to consider and figure out.

-Cameron

Alex Cleater

Sep 2, 2013, 4:51:23 AM9/2/13
to Cameron (GQueues Team), gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron,

Thanks for your message. Yes, I'm reordering by name and then manually reordering subtasks to the order in which the tasks need to be completed, a bit like a workflow.

Thanks for being willing :)

Regards,
Alex

Alex Cleater
al...@acrtuition.co.uk

office: 020 3031 8803
mobile: 07951 244 521

Lewis Dexter Litanzios

Sep 4, 2013, 3:56:15 AM9/4/13
to gqu...@googlegroups.com, Cameron (GQueues Team)
Hey Alex,

It's a asynchronous vs synchronous task issue - some projects involve completing tasks in sequence, some at the same time

I've have a blog post planned for this, as I'd like to devise a solution myself to present to Cameron

You can try the following tips:
1. Due date (e.g. 15/05/2013), then;
2. Hierarchical using sub tasks (i.e. tasks processed dependantly/asynchronous) - date atleast the first (parent) and/or next task, then lastly;
3. Numbered prefixes (e.g. 01, 02 etc.) (i.e. tasks processed independantly/synchronous)

Hopefully this is useful

Regards,

Alex Cleater

Sep 9, 2013, 5:48:56 AM9/9/13
to gqu...@googlegroups.com, Cameron (GQueues Team)
I like the number prefixes idea.

Thanks Lewis.

Alex

Alex Cleater
al...@acrtuition.co.uk

office: 020 3031 8803
mobile: 07951 244 521

Holmes1245

Aug 22, 2016, 12:44:08 PM8/22/16
to GQueues Discussion Forum, cam...@gqueues.com
I would like to have this idea considered again. I've never used a task outliner program in which the subtasks are reordererd when the parent tasks are. I'm trying to think of a scenario in which that would be helpful.

Lewis Dexter Litanzios

Aug 24, 2016, 5:17:38 PM8/24/16
to GQueues Discussion Forum, cam...@gqueues.com
Hey @Holmes1245,

Use the idea I proposed earlier in this thread if you want to arrange sub-tasks in a specific order ( https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqueues/aZOvajEU7XE/R5lMvUduOQwJ ); else let the "Sort" and "Group" features do what they're designed for

Hope this is useful

Regards