Redesign of djangoproject.com?

Dana Woodman

Apr 28, 2012, 3:22:59 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com?

Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com could use a bit of a facelift.

I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?

Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!

Cheers,
Dana

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 28, 2012, 4:05:27 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dana,

I completely agree. I've been trying to get a redesign of djangoproject.com going for quite some time under the auspices of the Django Foundation. As you can see from the lack of changes, you can see that I haven't been particularly successful :-(

The fundamental problem is that we have plenty of coding talent at our disposal, but not as much design talent. That's not to say that there aren't many talented designers in our community -- there are -- it's just that they're all very busy. We've approached several people in the Django design community asking them to help out, and some have even made done some initial work. However, redesign of a high-profile site like djangoproject.com is a big job, and nobody has been able to spare the time to bring the job to completion.

So - at this point I'm open to any offers. I want to avoid design by committee -- ideally, I would like to pass this off to a single person (or a small group) and give them complete control over design process. I'm not completely sure how to organise who gets this role -- suggestions are welcome.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, drop me a line and I can give you the design brief we've been working with.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 3:22 PM, Dana Woodman wrote:

> So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com)?
>
> Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) could use a bit of a facelift.
>
> I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?
>
> Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Dana Woodman

Apr 28, 2012, 4:13:48 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Great to know they're is some interest in it and agreement that it is in need :)

I'm very interested in the prospect of redesigning the site and would love to chat more about it. I feel like I owe the Django community something for all that it has given me (including the job I currently have!). I'd love to talk scope and other factors so I have a clear idea of what would be involved.

Is this a good forum for this type of discussion or should we get in touch elsewhere to talk? You can get in touch with me here: http://danawoodman.com/

Chris Pickett

Apr 28, 2012, 8:11:32 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
It seems to me that this might be one of those opportunities to just jump right in and get your hands dirty. I many ways I don't know if a redesign is going to happen without someone taking the initiative and getting it done, so it might as well be you! :)

Ned Batchelder

Apr 28, 2012, 9:53:40 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Will there be any specific discussion about what's wrong with the current site?  You two seem to agree something needs to be done, but haven't mentioned anything specific.

--Ned.

Alec Taylor

Apr 28, 2012, 10:00:42 AM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I can throw in some UX designing if you want

Dana Woodman

Apr 28, 2012, 1:45:05 PM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Very true Chris. I'd love to see the documents that were put together when this was discussed last time, if they're still around.

In regards to what  needs improvement, there are some core issues as I see it.

1) the home page does a poor job of conveying what someone should do if they want to try out Django. It also could do a much better job of making Django a bit more "sexy".
2) the documentation itself, while thorough, is a bit difficult to navigate, especially for new users. I think this could be partially remedied by some modifications to headers and color choices.
3) the project could do a better job of selling itself, especially in regards to showcasing why it is so great: automatic admin, large active community and plugins, large sites and organizations using it, active development, lots of built in security, etc...
4) it just looks old and outdated, which is a problem in its own right.

Should I just fork the project on Github and hack away or do I need to work on subversion?

In regards to organization of the documentation, I assume that is generated via the docs within Django, correct? Would I have freedom to do content organization/copy changes or would it just be a design change? I don't mean changing the documentation, but more how other pages and sections are laid out.

I assume I'd also need to work on the code.djangoproject.org site as well? Are there other things that would need to change? I'd really need the scope down so I know how and where to start.

This is no simple task so any direction or help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 28, 2012, 7:23:32 PM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ned,

It occurs to me that the design brief we've been using actually does a pretty good job of answering your questions, and there aren't any big secrets in those plans, so I figure I might as well share it for all to see.

----
djangoproject.com design brief:

We're not looking for anything too radical. It's really just about bringing the site up to current industry best practice, and exposing some information that is hidden on the current site.

* We need a visual refresh, keeping the same basic Django green-based color scheme. The web design world has moved on a bit since 2005; Django's site should reflect those changes. We say we're a state-of-the-art framework, so our design should reflect that. This means good uses of font faces, adaptive layouts, and so on -- all the things that have emerged in the best of web design over the last couple of years.

* It has to maintain a professional image -- no ponies or anything like that.

* Provide better pathways for people visiting the site. The site now has multiple audiences, who will each be looking for different information:
- First time technical users, looking for technical overviews and tutorials
- Long term users looking for documentation,
- Users wanting to get involved with contributing code/patches/documentation
- Business users considering Django that need a non-technical case

The current site doesn't reflect this diverse audience very well, and doesn't provide a clear call to action/next step for most of these visitors

* Increase the visibility of the DSF -- which is to say, make the DSF visible at all. The biggest subtask in this is making our sponsors visible. We're not looking to splash advertising over the homepage, but we do need to provide a clear way to say thank you to our sponsors, and invite others to join them.

* Ability to keep a consistent design across code.djangoproject.com (http://code.djangoproject.com), docs.djangoproject.com (http://docs.djangoproject.com) and any other sites that we pull into the mix.

* Flexibility to add links out to other community resources as we add them -- for example, if we resurrect djangopeople.net (http://djangopeople.net), we would like to be able to link to them somewhere on the site. The current site design doesn't really provide an appropriate place to put this sort of linkage.

----

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 9:53 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> Will there be any specific discussion about what's wrong with the current site? You two seem to agree something needs to be done, but haven't mentioned anything specific.
>
> --Ned.
>
> On 4/28/2012 4:13 AM, Dana Woodman wrote:
> > Great to know they're is some interest in it and agreement that it is in need :)
> >
> > I'm very interested in the prospect of redesigning the site and would love to chat more about it. I feel like I owe the Django community something for all that it has given me (including the job I currently have!). I'd love to talk scope and other factors so I have a clear idea of what would be involved.
> >
> > Is this a good forum for this type of discussion or should we get in touch elsewhere to talk? You can get in touch with me here: http://danawoodman.com/
> >
> > --
> > Dana Woodman
> > da...@danawoodman.com (mailto:da...@danawoodman.com)
> > http://www.danawoodman.com
> >

> > On Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Dana,
> > >
> > > I completely agree. I've been trying to get a redesign of djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) going for quite some time under the auspices of the Django Foundation. As you can see from the lack of changes, you can see that I haven't been particularly successful :-(
> > >
> > > The fundamental problem is that we have plenty of coding talent at our disposal, but not as much design talent. That's not to say that there aren't many talented designers in our community -- there are -- it's just that they're all very busy. We've approached several people in the Django design community asking them to help out, and some have even made done some initial work. However, redesign of a high-profile site like djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) is a big job, and nobody has been able to spare the time to bring the job to completion.
> > >
> > > So - at this point I'm open to any offers. I want to avoid design by committee -- ideally, I would like to pass this off to a single person (or a small group) and give them complete control over design process. I'm not completely sure how to organise who gets this role -- suggestions are welcome.
> > >
> > > If you (or anyone else) is interested, drop me a line and I can give you the design brief we've been working with.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Russ Magee %-)

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 28, 2012, 7:49:07 PM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dana

On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 1:45 AM, Dana Woodman wrote:

> Very true Chris. I'd love to see the documents that were put together when this was discussed last time, if they're still around.

I've included the design brief in my response to Ned. If you're looking for something else in particular, let me know and I'll see if I can find (or produce) something that is suitable.

> In regards to what needs improvement, there are some core issues as I see it.
>
> 1) the home page does a poor job of conveying what someone should do if they want to try out Django. It also could do a much better job of making Django a bit more "sexy".
> 2) the documentation itself, while thorough, is a bit difficult to navigate, especially for new users. I think this could be partially remedied by some modifications to headers and color choices.
> 3) the project could do a better job of selling itself, especially in regards to showcasing why it is so great: automatic admin, large active community and plugins, large sites and organizations using it, active development, lots of built in security, etc...
> 4) it just looks old and outdated, which is a problem in its own right.
>
> Should I just fork the project on Github and hack away or do I need to work on subversion?

As of yesterday, we are a SVN-free organisation -- everything is on GitHub. However, djangoproject.com has been on GitHub for a while:

https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com

If you want to work on code directly, that's the place to start.

> In regards to organization of the documentation, I assume that is generated via the docs within Django, correct? Would I have freedom to do content organization/copy changes or would it just be a design change? I don't mean changing the documentation, but more how other pages and sections are laid out.

Correct - the documentation is the contents of the /docs directory, as rendered by Sphinx. This means that the style of any individual page (e.g., fonts for headings, etc) is part of the Sphinx stylesheet, but the gross structure is determined by the file layout in the /docs directory (i.e., one page per file).

There's really two tasks contained in what you have described here:

1) Restyling the docs to make them easier to read

2) Reorganizing the docs to make information easier to find.

1) is definitely the remit of this design project. (2) is a much bigger project. Unless you're going to keep it simple - e.g., a proposing better home page layout for the docs - it may be better to leave the structure of the docs as a separate issue.
> I assume I'd also need to work on the code.djangoproject.org (http://code.djangoproject.org) site as well? Are there other things that would need to change? I'd really need the scope down so I know how and where to start.

There's also pages for the foundation; these aren't currently linked to from the homepage, so they're really well hidden. Right now, they're currently implemented as flat pages.

However, as the brief indicates, we'd like to have a bunch of broader design guidelines so if we want to improve any existing section of the site, or if any other project comes along and we want to integrate them into djangoproject.com (e.g., Django People or Django Packages), we can give that project a style guide to work with.

More importantly, one of my goals with this project is to broaden the base of "active design experts" that we have as a project. The core coding team has a relatively low bus factor -- if one of us stops committing, there are plenty of others who know the code and can maintain the project in our absence. However, our design bus factor is somewhere between 1 and 0 -- we've got Idan as our Benevolent Designer for Life, but he's a busy man; we really need to surround him with a bunch of talented designers, in the same way that we've got Jacob and Adrian, plus a bunch of talented developers.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

> This is no simple task so any direction or help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> On Apr 28, 2012, at 5:11 AM, Chris Pickett <chris....@gmail.com (mailto:chris....@gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that this might be one of those opportunities to just jump right in and get your hands dirty. I many ways I don't know if a redesign is going to happen without someone taking the initiative and getting it done, so it might as well be you! :)
> >
> > On Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:22:59 AM UTC-5, Dana Woodman wrote:
> > > So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com)?
> > >
> > > Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) could use a bit of a facelift.
> > >
> > > I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?
> > >
> > > Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Dana

Dana Woodman

Apr 28, 2012, 8:33:26 PM4/28/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Great info Russ, thanks!

My thoughts at this point would be to focus on the main content sections, including the home page and documentation overview pages.

For the home page I'd see something like this working well:

  • -Logo and brief project description (fork on Github as well?) - Answers the "What is Django?" and "Why should I care?" questions. (for example, Twitter Bootstraps's home page: http://cl.ly/3R0d1X300S0S0f0A0j0S)
  • Link to download and docs - Answers the "How can I start?" question
  • "Who uses Django?" section - Answers, well... the "Who uses Django?" question. BTW, is there a reason that there isn't more of the larger users of Django on here?  Eg Disqus, Instagram, Pinterest, Google, Mahalo, addons.mozilla.org, etc... This alone would get people excited to use Django and would convince a lot of the business types that Django can scale and is worth the investment.
  • A graphical site navigation area, eg: http://cl.ly/3B1N2h3E2x3x0f3V091K - Give people a an easy way to get around to the core content on the site.

Thinking a layout along the lines of Node.js (http://nodejs.org/) homepage would be effective. Node does a good job of keeping things minimal and easy to navigate.

Some sort of "blogroll" type feature would satisfy the need to update the community of interesting or useful links. This could work in concert with the documentation as well. Not sure what the exact needs for this are, what would be an ideal process for this?

How would the style guide be presented? Would it be a page on djangoproject.org, Github Wiki, a PDF, or...?

I assume it would be fairly straightforward to give Spinx a new skin?

Do you feel an incremental approach would be best or should it be a complete overhaul in one go?

Alec Taylor

Apr 29, 2012, 11:34:43 AM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Contact me for UX once you have forked the repo, I'll throw something
up and place it on the wiki (or in an issue) of that new repo.

Email: alect...@gmail.com

Alec Taylor

Apr 29, 2012, 12:23:18 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is a design I just pulled up: http://i.imgur.com/wIkel.png

Thoughts?

Dana Woodman

Apr 29, 2012, 1:32:13 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Giovanni Collazo

Juan Pablo Martínez

Apr 29, 2012, 3:20:52 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/-/idyNPCE19loJ.

juanpex

Adnane Belmadiaf

Apr 29, 2012, 3:20:43 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself, here is my proposal http://i.imgur.com/bnf2e.png

Best,
Adnane Belmadiaf

2012/4/29 Dana Woodman <da...@danawoodman.com>

--
Adnane Belmadiaf
----------------

Dana Woodman

Apr 29, 2012, 3:42:26 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Jeez, looks like I started a tsunami...

Buddy Lindsey, Jr.

Apr 29, 2012, 3:59:43 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I see all this stuff about video in the redesigns. Are there some videos on the site that I missed or is it wishful thinking?

April 29, 2012 2:42 PM
Jeez, looks like I started a tsunami...

On Apr 29, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Adnane Belmadiaf <da...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

April 29, 2012 2:20 PM
Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself, here is my proposal http://i.imgur.com/bnf2e.png

Best,
Adnane Belmadiaf

--
Adnane Belmadiaf
April 29, 2012 12:32 PM

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Alec Taylor wrote:

April 29, 2012 11:23 AM
Here is a design I just pulled up: http://i.imgur.com/wIkel.png

Thoughts?

April 29, 2012 10:34 AM

Meir Kriheli

Apr 29, 2012, 4:21:13 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

DjangoCon videos ?
http://pyvideo.org/

compose-unknown-contact.jpg
postbox-contact.jpg
postbox-contact.jpg

rikuth...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2012, 4:46:15 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The one that Giovanni did is really nice, I like it!

2012/4/29 Juan Pablo Martínez <jpm...@gmail.com>

--
Pablo Recio Quijano

Dana Woodman

Apr 29, 2012, 5:33:33 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Giovanni and I have touched base about collaborating on the design. We'll update as we go.

There are tons of good Django videos to choose from. Ideas are appreciated.

Buddy Lindsey, Jr.

Apr 29, 2012, 5:51:12 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I was just curios wasn't sure where the videos where going to come from. Also if some content is specifically needed for the site, video wise, I would be willing to make a couple for the site outside of what I do on godjango.com if it could help.

On Apr 29, 2012, at 1:46 PM, "rikuth...@gmail.com

The one that Giovanni did is really nice, I like it!

2012/4/29 Juan Pablo Martínez <jpm...@gmail.com
<mailto:jpm...@gmail.com>>

    http://imgur.com/a/186fh
    nice :)

        Here: http://imgur.com/a/186fh

        --
        @gcollazo
        gcol...@24veces.com <mailto:gcol...@24veces.com>

        On Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:32:13 PM UTC-4, Dana Woodman wrote:

            This is my take: http://cl.ly/__0U2C1O20133i0U3d1s3X/o

            <http://cl.ly/0U2C1O20133i0U3d1s3X/o>

            --
            Dana Woodman
            da...@danawoodman.com <mailto:da...@danawoodman.com>

            http://www.danawoodman.com

            On Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Alec Taylor wrote:

            Here is a design I just pulled up:
            http://i.imgur.com/wIkel.png

            Thoughts?

            On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Alec Taylor
            <alec.t...@gmail.com <mailto:alec.t...@gmail.com>>
            wrote:

            Contact me for UX once you have forked the repo, I'll
            throw something
            up and place it on the wiki (or in an issue) of that
            new repo.

            Email: alect...@gmail.com <mailto:alect...@gmail.com>

            addons.mozilla.org <http://addons.mozilla.org>, etc...

            djangoproject.org <http://djangoproject.org>, Github

            However, djangoproject.com <http://djangoproject.com>

            djangoproject.com <http://djangoproject.com> (e.g.,
            <chris....@gmail.com <mailto:chris....@gmail.com>
            (mailto:chris.pickett@gmail.__com

            Woodman wrote:

[...]

            django-developers+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
            <mailto:django-develop...@googlegroups.com>
            (mailto:django-develope...@googlegroups.com
            <mailto:django-develop...@googlegroups.com>).

            For more options, visit this group at

            django-developers+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
            <mailto:django-develop...@googlegroups.com>
            (mailto:django-develope...@googlegroups.com
            <mailto:django-develop...@googlegroups.com>).

            For more options, visit this group at

            For more options, visit this group at

            For more options, visit this group at

            For more options, visit this group at

        For more options, visit this group at

    juanpex

Pablo Recio Quijano

Groups "Django developers" group.

Dana Woodman

Apr 29, 2012, 5:52:45 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I really like the idea of having a dedicated video page on the site broken down by topic. I personally love learning from video and think its an accessible format for new as well as seasoned Django users.

Buddy, your videos would be a great addition to that idea.

will kahn-greene

Apr 29, 2012, 5:58:27 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Dana Woodman
Hi!

I run pyvideo.org and I'm totally game for adding API points for
anything you want to do with the Django sites. You can definitely get
the data elsewhere on the Internet, but one of the purposes of pyvideo
is to make this sort of thing easier.

Thought I'd mention it in case that's interesting to anyone.

/will

Adnane Belmadiaf

Apr 29, 2012, 3:25:31 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself, here is my proposal http://i.imgur.com/bnf2e.png

Best,
Adnane Belmadiaf

2012/4/29 Juan Pablo Martínez <jpm...@gmail.com>
Cordialement
Adnane Belmadiaf

Dana Woodman

Apr 29, 2012, 8:43:46 PM4/29/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
You already posted that earlier today Adnane.

Adnane Belmadiaf

Apr 30, 2012, 5:34:58 AM4/30/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Yeah sorry about that, i wasn't sure my email was sent.

2012/4/30 Dana Woodman <da...@danawoodman.com>

--
Cordialement
Adnane Belmadiaf

Idan Gazit

Apr 30, 2012, 6:41:43 PM4/30/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Lovely to see fresh talent and energy applied to a long-stalled issue. :)

I think Giovanni's proposal has a strong, simple page structure, and it does a good job of IA for our varied audience. Putting on my BDesignerFL hat, let's use that as a starting point.

Let's set aside the issue of restyling docs for now; we can't run in all directions at once.

Homepage Structure
===============

News
~~~~

The major element elided from the proposal is some display of news. The current homepage shows the most recent four entries; I think one is sufficient for the homepage, but it does need to be somewhere on the page.

Header nav
~~~~~~~~

There is no header nav in the proposal. I'd like to have some minimal list of primary nav links, like the ones at the top-left of the page fat-footer. On the homepage, they can appear very de-emphasized, I like the spare look of the masthead and I don't want to break that by boxing it in with a visual bar from above.

Header actions
~~~~~~~~~~~

While I like the "quick start" mechanic, those buttons require some love:

* There's no obvious "get django" or "download" call-to-action. "Quick start" is good but we're burying the download information in there.
* The quick start drawer doesn't make mention of the other ways you can get Django, for example downloading a tarball or a link to github.
* There's no quick display of our most recent released version. It belongs somewhere at the level of these buttons.

My proposal is a button layout like:

[ Get Django 1.4 v ] [ Quick Start v ] [ Documentation ]

The get-django button can show a drawer like quick start, but show the three common routes (pip, tarball, github) and supply a link to a page with more details if need be.

Who's Using Django
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if we'll have case studies. If not, an attractive display of some logos wouldn't go badly. If we do, then we can fade out the other logos upon click and show a bit of teaser text about the company with a link to "read more…"

Footer
~~~~~

I like the structure. Need to give some thought to the six large elements and make sure they're the best choices for what to show there.

Responsive Structure
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A requirement for the new dp.com is that it be responsive or adaptive. I'm not going to get hung up on the technicalities—something which looks and works well on a variety of common screen geometries. The proposed page layout would linearize well for smaller screens, which is excellent.

Non-homepage templates
===================

I'm not sure what other pages we have in our current site, ignoring trac for now. I suspect that we'll need one or two templates for non-home pages.

Look & Graphic Design
=================

I don't want to get off course with the IA work. Color and design stuff can wait until we're feeling that the structure is mostly baked.

If you have ideas and you want to get them down, I'd recommend you make something like style tiles (http://styletil.es/).

Thanks all for your brains on this matter. I am excited to see this underway, and I can't wait to see what comes next. :)

-I

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Apr 30, 2012, 6:47:42 PM4/30/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Idan Gazit wrote:
Non-homepage templates
===================

I'm not sure what other pages we have in our current site, ignoring trac for now. I suspect that we'll need one or two templates for non-home pages.

Docs are the big one -- more than half of the traffic to djangoproject.com is to the docs site. A good docs layout and theme that fits into the rest of the site is a pretty big deal IMO.

Jacob

Christian Metts

Apr 30, 2012, 7:20:59 PM4/30/12
to Django developers
As of the previous failed attempts to make something happen here I
want to get what I have out here for everyone to consider/use/ignore
as desired:

First some images of where I got:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/dp.com-home.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/homepage-scrolled.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/documentation.png

And my illustrator source file. The font I was using for almost
everything was Adelle which is available from typekit and possibly
other places.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/dp.com.xian.redesign.ai

IA wise:
* My plan was for a simple top nav that could be minimized further on
interior pages.
* sections of the site could such as the homepage could be fairly long
and use a side nav that followed/showed your location similar to:
http://bonsaiden.github.com/JavaScript-Garden/ (see second screenshot)
* The homepage could have a couple of places for time based updates up
in the banner/nav area. In my screen shot it shows a few blog post
titles and upcoming events.

while I completely stalled out I'm totally excited about DP getting a
much needed refresh and growing further.

glhf!

—Xian

Julien Phalip

May 1, 2012, 12:07:52 AM5/1/12
to Django developers
Hi everyone,

It's really exciting to see the community offering to help in this
endeavor. I myself spent quite a bit of time last year driving a
redesign effort for djangoproject.com, so I thought I'd share my work
with you now while the momentum is picking up again.

So, using some initial briefing and feedback from Russell, Jacob, Idan
and Christian, I had designed a new IA and then built a working
prototype:

http://www.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/
Login details: preview/ihud8t4k

I'd like to emphasize that this is a *prototype*. The visuals were
intentionally left rough and unpolished, and even the IA itself was a
work in progress. I've seen many great ideas so far in this thread, so
please feel free to rip this prototype off, or to just get some
inspiration from it, or to simply ignore it altogether.

Technically-speaking, the front end uses Sass and Compass and it
implements the responsive Less framework [1]. To see an example of the
responsive behavior, try resizing your browser window on the homepage
[2]. I had also spent a lot of time tweaking the documentation's
layout and styles to make it easy to view across screen sizes [3]. For
example, the sidebar collapses into a clickable button on small
screens. Another example is with large images as in [4]; as the window
gets smaller, the image shrinks along with the window and becomes
clickable on small screens — this is to allow mobile users to access
the full-width image without breaking the layout. However, will all
that said, it might eventually be worth considering to move the
documentation entirely to RTD one day (with some special branding).

The prototype's code is available on github [5]. I hope this is of
some help to the person or team that will be driving this project.

Kindly,

Julien

[1] http://lessframework.com/
[2] Prototype homepage: http://www.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/
[3] Documentation prototype: http://docs.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/en/dev/
[4] http://docs.djangoproject.dotcloud.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/triaging-tickets/#triage-workflow
[5] Prototype's code: https://github.com/jphalip/djangoproject.com/tree/visual-redesign

Joe Tennies

May 1, 2012, 12:50:22 AM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
A lot of these mockups are good, but I have a couple comments.

I'd like to see more "interesting" grid layout. Django comes from the world of newpapers. I think that should be honored with an power 12/16 column layout. I'm seeing something like "Power Grid" from http://designshack.net/articles/layouts/10-rock-solid-website-layout-examples
Other prior art to look at:
http://demos.dojotoolkit.org/demos/fonts/demo.html
I think http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/dp.com-home.png did a decent job of this. I love the sections on the top looking like sections of a newspaper.

Another thing I like to see in every decent site is something to direct people into where they want to get by categorizing them. I'm seeing sections like "Considering Django" w/ the sales pitch, case studies, who uses it, etc. I'll have to think about how to categorize the rest, but I am usually annoyed by ending up on someone's site and not exactly knowing where to go.

I've been messing with Adobe Proto lately. I'll see if I can put more showin' and less jibber-jabberin' ;)

- Joe Tennies

Alec Taylor

May 1, 2012, 1:18:20 AM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The http://proxart.co/ design on that page is quite a good one

Ivan Ivanov

May 1, 2012, 1:00:05 AM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
На Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:33:33 -0700
Dana Woodman <woodma...@gmail.com> написа:

> Giovanni and I have touched base about collaborating on the design.
> We'll update as we go.

Hi all!

I have not enough time for participating on developement right now, but
I could be helpful with testing and (when needed) fixing issues, so when
you make a repo, please let us know, so I can follow the project.

Thanks for the grate job in advance!

Ivan

Russell Keith-Magee

May 1, 2012, 7:52:10 PM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have two reactions to Giovanni's design:

* There needs to be more than one call to action. "Download and run tutorial" is the call to action for new users; but there are several other equally important calls to action:

- I'm an active Django user -- how do I get involved in development?

- I'm a manager considering Django - I don't want details, but I need to know if Django will be suitable for my project

- I'm a manager using Django - I want to give back to the community? (i.e., where is the foundation?)

Giovanni's proposal seems to have the same limitation as the current site -- there's a call to action for running the tutorial, but not for the other use cases.

* One of my personal goals for this redesign is to give more visibility to community resources. Over the last 6 years, we've had a number of unofficial projects come and done great service for the community -- django people, several packaging indices, and so on. However, many of these projects have died on the vine. I suspect one of the reasons that these projects has died is that they've never really been considered first class members of the community, and so it's mentally easy to abandon them rather than seeking to hand them off to a new maintainer. The only place I can see in Giovanni's design for this sort of community content would be to bury it in the footer, or on a separate part of the community page.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)
> A requirement for the new dp.com (http://dp.com) is that it be responsive or adaptive. I'm not going to get hung up on the technicalities—something which looks and works well on a variety of common screen geometries. The proposed page layout would linearize well for smaller screens, which is excellent.
>

> Non-homepage templates
> ===================
>
> I'm not sure what other pages we have in our current site, ignoring trac for now. I suspect that we'll need one or two templates for non-home pages.
>

> Look & Graphic Design
> =================
>
> I don't want to get off course with the IA work. Color and design stuff can wait until we're feeling that the structure is mostly baked.
>
> If you have ideas and you want to get them down, I'd recommend you make something like style tiles (http://styletil.es/).
>

> Thanks all for your brains on this matter. I am excited to see this underway, and I can't wait to see what comes next. :)
>

> -I

Daniel Sokolowski

May 1, 2012, 8:14:48 PM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Being realistic here we must acknowledge that likely the majority of us are great programmers but not great designers – none of the design proposed did it for me – they were not bad but they weren’t great, and I want epic, I want sexy and I want eye candy.

So I say this: it is no shame to use a pre-existing, pre-made  template.

I have used http://themeforest.net/?ref=danols successfully in the past - yes it includes my referral link - an added benefit is we can get through the mock up and conversion phases very quickly. Some designs that caught my eye --- please note these are fluid designs hence table and smartphone ready, resize your browser window to see what I mean.

However
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:22 AM
Subject: Redesign of djangoproject.com?

So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com?

Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com could use a bit of a facelift.

I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?

Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!

Cheers,
Dana
Daniel Sokolowski
Web Engineer
Danols Web Engineering
http://webdesign.danols.com/

Dana Woodman

May 1, 2012, 9:16:52 PM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
People weren't proposing finished designs Daniel, they're mockups/wireframes. The first focus here is getting the IA right and then making it "sexy".

I for one think that canned designs are not the way to go for a project such as Django. One of the goals with the redesign of the site is to showcase how the Django community values design in addition to development and choosing a pre made design doesn't serve those ends IMO.

On the flip side, there's nothin wrong with borrowing (read stealing) good ideas from other designs. That's what art is anyways ;)

Just my $.02.

Moritz S.

Buddy Lindsey, Jr.

May 1, 2012, 9:53:09 PM5/1/12
Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

* One of my personal goals for this redesign is to give more visibility to community resources. Over the last 6 years, we've had a number of unofficial projects come and done great service for the community -- django people, several packaging indices, and so on. However, many of these projects have died on the vine. I suspect one of the reasons that these projects has died is that they've never really been considered first class members of the community, and so it's mentally easy to abandon them rather than seeking to hand them off to a new maintainer. The only place I can see in Giovanni's design for this sort of community content would be to bury it in the footer, or on a separate part of the community page.

I came to Django from the Rails community and while I prefer Django over Rails one thing I was disappointed with on arrival was I didn't know "where" the Django community was, still not sure I do. Maybe the django community is quiter than the Rails community is, but if I didn't actively scour the internet I would think the community is dead which is one of my evaluations of using a technology.

my 2 cents on the community aspect.

Buddy Lindsey, Jr.

May 1, 2012, 9:56:08 PM5/1/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
um, not sure what happened to part of my response, but to summarize a missing paragraph I would like the design to consider showing more of the community as well.

Idan Gazit

May 2, 2012, 1:32:23 AM5/2/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
No premade templates.

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Daniel Sokolowski wrote:

> Being realistic here we must acknowledge that likely the majority of us are great programmers but not great designers – none of the design proposed did it for me – they were not bad but they weren’t great, and I want epic, I want sexy and I want eye candy.
>
> So I say this: it is no shame to use a pre-existing, pre-made template.
>
> I have used http://themeforest.net/?ref=danols successfully in the past - yes it includes my referral link - an added benefit is we can get through the mock up and conversion phases very quickly. Some designs that caught my eye --- please note these are fluid designs hence table and smartphone ready, resize your browser window to see what I mean.
>
> http://themeforest.net/item/spectrum-responsive-business-site-template/full_screen_preview/2035034
> http://themeforest.net/item/doctype-claquette-responsive-video-html-template/full_screen_preview/2085780
> http://themeforest.net/item/valera-responsive-html-template/full_screen_preview/2194402
>

> However

Anton Strogonoff

May 2, 2012, 1:59:06 AM5/2/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I think it would be fair to note that Dana's mock-up (http://cl.ly/0U2C1O20133i0U3d1s3X/o) seems to solve most of the tasks mentioned by Russell, while avoiding information overload and keeping visual hierarchy clear.

- If I seek to contribute to Django, the mock-up features a clear and visible “Contribute” link below.
- If I'm a manager new to Django, the first thing I'd look for is which companies already use the framework, and how. The “Who's using” block gives a solid clue on that. (I'd only suggest that the logos were links leading to actual use cases.)
- The DSF part is, however, missing: I'd suggest to place corresponding block below the quick start.

I agree that Giovanni's design probably lacks some of the features and not as clear as Dana's original mock-up. However, I would argue with Russell's point about “equally important calls to action”.

Yes, both proposals aren't optimized for all mentioned use cases equally well. The “Contribute” link is not visible enough, and the DSF block is below the fold, and there's not much community resources present. However, keeping clear visual hierarchy and limiting the number of calls to action according to use case priority is probably more important[1].

It appears to me that use cases for djangoproject.com clearly differ in their priority:

- If you're a developer or a manager choosing what to use in a new project, you're a valuable visitor, as broader adoption is desired. There's also a high chance you bounce off and won't come back, since there's quite a variety of web frameworks out there. So it probably makes sense to optimise for this use case.

- If you're a manager or developer who've already decided to give back to the community, you're probably more valuable, but it's also harder to drive you away. (Some time ago I remember myself searching current djangoproject.com on how to contribute to development, there wasn't any mention of that on landing page but I kept looking until I found relevant information.)

- If you're a developer returning for reference, you're unlikely to drop Django because of landing page. Also, you'll just use Google to search for relevant information, which would land you directly on documentation pages and StackOverflow.

Considering this, it probably makes sense to optimize for new potential users (managers and developers) first, then for those who seek to contribute. The Dana's mock-up IMHO would deal with that well with DSF / sponsorship block added at the bottom.

Note: The above list may be incomplete, or I might've gotten wrong the priorities. I'd just like to propose more systematic approach to the problem.

Regarding community visibility: It's probably impossible to place many community resources on landing page while keeping strong visual hierarchy and clear call to action. I'd argue Dana's design deals with this well: “Featured content” could expose one selected resource at a time, while the “Explore” block has the “Resources” and “Community” links that point to the rest.

[1] The larger is the number of calls to action and the more use cases the page is optimized for, the harder it is for a visitor to make a decision. http://muddylemon.com/2012/03/creating-effective-landing-pages/ explains that. Although it perhaps deals with landing pages of different sort, IMHO some principles are still applicable to general landing page design.

-- Anton Strogonoff

PS. At first I thought of djangoproject.com redesign as a good opportunity to give back to the community and show off my skills as aspiring web designer, but after seeing Dana's mock-up I decided I can't really suggest anything significantly better. =)

(PPS. It appears to be my first post here, please don't judge hard.)

Atul Bhouraskar

May 1, 2012, 10:00:32 PM5/1/12

Buddy Lindsey, Jr. wrote:

Russell Keith-Magee wrote:

[...]

I agree. One part could be to integrate the google group(s) into the site using google web elements e.g http://www.google.com/webelements/#!/groups

Regards,

Atul

Vladimir U.

May 2, 2012, 3:03:53 AM5/2/12
to Django developers
i think, in all proposals lack of some mention about where i can find
django apps. Maybe its good idea to add a block with latest/popular
packages from pypi or/and djangopackages.com to the the main page or
just a link (hide/show subcategory).
[-]community
[+]packages
[+]blogs

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320/djangoproject/dp.com-home.png
lower block must stretch the width to left ("who use it") IMHO :)

Hooshyar Naraghi

May 2, 2012, 12:22:11 PM5/2/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I would like to share yet another design for the Django Project web site. First, I jump in with the design, and at the end I'll say a little about my background.

First, the design.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLd0dKM21tOUVRRjQ
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLT3ZrTnNUX0syeUU
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLSGlzX0hmRGtxZWc
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLNWp4eXNtM3VsOVk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLejAzdFJyNlF4MUU

The only difference in the above screenshots is to show case the different "points of entry" (POE, aka "call to action") in the block "I am a ...." This is one way to direct different types of visitors. We tried "I am a..." functionality last year, when my business redesigned the web site of the NGO VIA Programs (http://www.VIAPrograms.org). The web site is visited by different kinds of people. In addition to explicit POE on the web site, (you see the three POE at the top, which open a drop-down panel), we also implemented an "I am a..." (you can find it on the Search drop-down panel). My client is happy with this implementation, as they really service different interests within their organization. I should add the disclaimer I saw this "I am a..." on a web site many moons ago, but I didn't bother to record it. So, I am inspired by it (Dana, yes, we steal great ideas, and why not) and have used it on web sites that can really leverage it.

My design is straightforward, but I would like to point out that the main block is going to show a rotating slide presentation, if it doesn't look evident on this non-interactive screenshot. Each slide could emphasize one aspect of Django. For example, a video clip can be placed on one of the slides, and so on. Second, for this submission, I didn't pay attention to the content on the slide. I simply copied text from the current web site.

As others who kindly submitted their designs, I would love to read your feedback and will be glad to post any revision.

About

I run and own a small web app development business. We are a pure Django/Python shop (OK, with a frizzle of PHP here and there -- read as setting up MediaWiki, WordPress, and Joomla). Since 2006 I have used Django in all of our custom-built web apps. We also take on UI/UX design for all of our projects.

Although I consider myself and my team indebted to Django forever, nevertheless, I have not contributed anything significant to the Django community. So, when I read about the Redesign project on this group, I thought this could be one opportunity my business should contribute. My commitment in this project will include producing final HTML mockups and of course any needed revision.

Regards,
Hooshyar

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:05:27 AM UTC-7, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
Hi Dana,

I completely agree. I've been trying to get a redesign of djangoproject.com going for quite some time under the auspices of the Django Foundation. As you can see from the lack of changes, you can see that I haven't been particularly successful :-(

The fundamental problem is that we have plenty of coding talent at our disposal, but not as much design talent. That's not to say that there aren't many talented designers in our community -- there are -- it's just that they're all very busy. We've approached several people in the Django design community asking them to help out, and some have even made done some initial work. However, redesign of a high-profile site like djangoproject.com is a big job, and nobody has been able to spare the time to bring the job to completion.

So - at this point I'm open to any offers. I want to avoid design by committee -- ideally, I would like to pass this off to a single person (or a small group) and give them complete control over design process. I'm not completely sure how to organise who gets this role -- suggestions are welcome.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, drop me a line and I can give you the design brief we've been working with.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 3:22 PM, Dana Woodman wrote:

> So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com)?
>
> Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) could use a bit of a facelift.
>
> I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?
>
> Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Alec Taylor

May 3, 2012, 12:22:08 AM5/3/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I quite like that last one (on Google Docs)

Only caveat is the way sites that use Django are listed.

It seems quite pedestrian... maybe add big image logos or whatnot...
advertising that Bitbucket, Instagram and The Washington Post use
Django is the easiest way to make people consider Django.
>> > (mailto:django-d...@googlegroups.com).
>> > django-develop...@googlegroups.com
>> > (mailto:django-develop...@googlegroups.com).
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers?hl=en.

Thiago Avelino

May 3, 2012, 12:29:43 AM5/3/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Was very good work Hooshyar Naraghi.

[]'s

--
Thiago Avelino

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/-/8CyaqpMlkP4J.

Henry Modisett

May 4, 2012, 9:51:59 PM5/4/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey django developers! I am new here but I made you a design :)

http://cl.ly/3M0V3Y350B3r1n2g1209

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:22:59 AM UTC-4, Dana Woodman wrote:
[...]

Hooshyar Naraghi

May 7, 2012, 11:25:28 AM5/7/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I decorated my design a little, primarily in the blocks sites that use Django and Django Sponsors.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLVnM3b2NHLXJ5RXM
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLSlE1S2JBYXpYUE0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLRUJFTlU0SkRLN1E
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLSVBPR1ZEUV9nRVE
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9D91R1_2bXLOWk1UmJ4U0YtUmM

Looking forward to reading your feedback.

Regards,
Hooshyar
>> > To post to this group, send email to django-developers@googlegroups.com
>> > (mailto:django-developers@googlegroups.com).
>> > django-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
>> > (mailto:django-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com).
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers?hl=en.
>>

> --
> For more options, visit this group at
>> > (mailto:django-developers@googlegroups.com).
>> > django-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
>> > (mailto:django-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com).
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers?hl=en.

Andre Terra

May 7, 2012, 12:52:51 PM5/7/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm just a hobbyist, but since you're asking for feedback, here's my humble opinion.

I don't see a select input as the best solution for the "I am.." issue. Let's assume we have the 'new to django' option as the default for when a user first loads djangoproject.com, and a manager then visits the website. He'll see "I am new to django" and think "yes, that's my case", yet the links will mostly be aimed at a developer. Or even, assuming a "manager using django" opens the website, he might see "I am new to django" and just dismiss the box altogether.

I just don't think that a select box is the best UI/UX solution, as it's not really clear as a call to action, unless you know which options lie underneath, not to mention it looks a little buried in the sidebar. I would much prefer a 4-block horizontal list with all the options one next to the other. This way no options are hidden behind a mouse click, and there's less of a chance the user will be surprised.

In addition to that, I also dislike the proposed organization for the links in the bottom-half of the main section. "Other community resources" sounds like a catch-all that actually masks a bad attempt at categorizing each of those links. I'm not sure Getbarista, Django Best Practices and Django Jobs share the same level of relevance, or even the same audience. They should not, in my opinion, be stacked together in a one-window scrolling pane. Furthermore, requiring additional mouse clicks to reveal other links is, again, a bad UI/UX solution, and this is also true for the other 3 boxes, especially "Latest blog posts".

I like whitespace, and I like grid layouts. I just don't like wasting that much whitespace in UX elements which don't stand out to the user or offer any advantages in terms of browsing, usability or accessibility. There's no reason for us not to restrict that much information to 1000 pixels in height. Less relevant information can (and should) go further down in the page.

Moreover, it seems the big block of text right in the center is overkill for very little content. I love good typography as much as the next guy, maybe even more, but information about why Django was created falls under 'trivia' IMHO, and should not take 67% of the user's screen real estate. This much space could be better used in calls to action and a more intuitive display of the alternatives to the different kinds of users that might access the website.

Finally, I agree with an earlier comment in the thread that we must cater to the main groups of users who access the website. This layout aims at every direction, but doesn't really offer great solutions to the most important issues that the current layout has.

TL;DR It looks good, i.e. good typography and colors, but has bad UI/UX, too much mouse clicking required without prominent calls to action. Layout should cater to the 20% who will visit the website 80% of the time. It's okay to scroll!

Cheers,
AT

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/-/iIgBZyxRSxgJ.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

May 8, 2012, 6:55:34 AM5/8/12
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Dana Woodman <woodma...@gmail.com> wrote:
So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com?

Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com could use a bit of a facelift.

I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?

Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!

Cheers,
Dana

I'm reading django-developers and django-users news groups for more than a year now. I have a little suggestion about redesign of official Dajngo web page. It is not uncommon for new users to post questions about using Django framework to wrong news group. It should be considered to stress that on new website what user group is for what purpose. I know it is there already but maybe it might be better divided into "devs corner" and "users corner" and developers news group should be more hidden from users. The term "Django developer" is sometimes misunderstood.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Giovanni Collazo

May 19, 2012, 12:06:19 PM5/19/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So, I spend a few hours working on the re-design following Idan's Guidelines. Any feedback and further direction from the core team would be greatly appreciated.

G.
django website redesign 2.pdf

Horst Gutmann

May 20, 2012, 4:05:18 PM5/20/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi :-)

Looks nice! A few points though:

* Do we really need the pony?

* IMO the "Meet Django" section might be better one step up since the
line "Django makes it easier..." might not be enough to quickly
explain what Django actually is.

* "Meet Django" and "The Django Framework" sections have more or less
the same objective and should IMO be combined to make it possible to
put the community section slightly higher in the structure.

* Regarding prominent actions: Perhaps you could place some action
buttons where the pony is right now. Like something for developers,
something for novices and something for project managers.

* For the quickstart I'm personally not really a fan of lightboxes.
They should provide supplementary information, not primary info.

Best regards,
Horst

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins

May 20, 2012, 4:19:23 PM5/20/12
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Horst Gutmann <ho...@zerokspot.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Giovanni Collazo <gcol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, I spend a few hours working on the re-design following Idan's
> Guidelines. Any feedback and further direction from the core team would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> G.

Hi :-)

Looks nice! A few points though:

* Do we really need the pony?

* IMO the "Meet Django" section might be better one step up since the
line "Django makes it easier..." might not be enough to quickly
explain what Django actually is.

* "Meet Django" and "The Django Framework" sections have more or less
the same objective and should IMO be combined to make it possible to
put the community section slightly higher in the structure.

* Regarding prominent actions: Perhaps you could place some action
buttons where the pony is right now. Like something for developers,
something for novices and something for project managers.

I think removing the Pony for an action item will clutter the space. I like the pony, but if it's decided to not go with it, putting action items in there will clutter it in my opinion.

* For the quickstart I'm personally not really a fan of lightboxes.
They should provide supplementary information, not primary info.

Best regards,
Horst

Andre Terra

May 20, 2012, 5:26:04 PM5/20/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
"No ponies" was one of the guidelines in the previous thread.

Also, I miss the official typography.

Cheers,
AT

Giovanni Collazo

May 20, 2012, 6:50:12 PM5/20/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I knew about the pony.

My point is that a strong and recognizable visual element like that one, will help give the site some character. People might say: "just search for python web framework, it's the site with the flying pony". After some time everything related to django will include the pony. Some of it already is.

The pony is perfect because the community already knows it, uses it and likes it. I don't think it will scare away enterprise adoption, but I might be wrong. I don't know the whole back story on how, who and when the pony was chosen.

So, yeah we don't have to use the pony but I think it will be fighting against what has already been happening naturally.

We have the opportunity to embrace and officialize the mascot that was chosen organically by the community.

My 2 cents.

G.

Calvin Spealman

May 20, 2012, 8:17:09 PM5/20/12
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Horst Gutmann <ho...@zerokspot.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Giovanni Collazo <gcol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, I spend a few hours working on the re-design following Idan's
>> Guidelines. Any feedback and further direction from the core team would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> G.
>>

> Hi :-)
>
> Looks nice! A few points though:
>
> * Do we really need the pony?

I think branding is important. The pony works.

> * IMO the "Meet Django" section might be better one step up since the
> line "Django makes it easier..." might not be enough to quickly
> explain what Django actually is.
>
> * "Meet Django" and "The Django Framework" sections have more or less
> the same objective and should IMO be combined to make it possible to
> put the community section slightly higher in the structure.

I would second this.

> * Regarding prominent actions: Perhaps you could place some action
> buttons where the pony is right now. Like something for developers,
> something for novices and something for project managers.

Targeted actions are a great idea.

> * For the quickstart I'm personally not really a fan of lightboxes.
> They should provide supplementary information, not primary info.

Anything substantial should be bookmarkable, and lightboxes are not.

> Best regards,
> Horst
>
> --

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy

Russell Keith-Magee

May 20, 2012, 8:45:05 PM5/20/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
This may well be the case, but including the pony is essentially a
non-negotiable point. The pony is an unofficial logo, and while I like
it, many don't perceive it as a professional image, and part of our
brief here is to maintain a professional image for Django as a
project.

I would also point out that the comments I made on the last design
haven't been addressed by this design, either.

Where is call to action for someone wanting to find out about/support
the Django Software Foundation site?

Where is the call to action for non-technical managers looking for information?

Where is the call to action for people wanting to contribute to the project?

Where are the links to other community resources (e.g., Django People)?

So far, all the designs being proposed appear to be novel reinventions
of the content that is already on Django's website. They don't appear
to be addressing the fundamental issues that exist with the existing
site and it's content.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins

May 20, 2012, 10:06:03 PM5/20/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm sad to hear that about the pony. The pony itself isn't the issue, the issue to me is that there is a lack of branding of a real logo/mascot.

I agree with 90% of the comparisons made in the blog post http://grokcode.com/746/dear-python-why-are-you-so-ugly/

I would also point out that the comments I made on the last design
haven't been addressed by this design, either.

Where is call to action for someone wanting to find out about/support
the Django Software Foundation site?

Where is the call to action for non-technical managers looking for information?

Where is the call to action for people wanting to contribute to the project?

Where are the links to other community resources (e.g., Django People)?

So far, all the designs being proposed appear to be novel reinventions
of the content that is already on Django's website. They don't appear
to be addressing the fundamental issues that exist with the existing
site and it's content.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Erik Stein

May 21, 2012, 3:01:06 AM5/21/12

Am 21.05.2012 um 04:06 schrieb Adam Cezar Jenkins:

> I'm sad to hear that about the pony. The pony itself isn't the issue, the issue to me is that there is a lack of branding of a real logo/mascot.
>
> I agree with 90% of the comparisons made in the blog post http://grokcode.com/746/dear-python-why-are-you-so-ugly/

Please let me add in all politeness that I don't agree. djangoproject.com is not for the masses and therefore doesn't need to be over-simplified. On the contrary, it's for professionals who know what they are looking for.

What is missing in django marketing is IMHO a cleverly selected showcase of large and also small mature django sites, including in-house. A list of mature plugin-projects/apps would make sense, too.

Best
-- erik

Erik Stein
Programmierung, Grafik
Oranienstr. 32 10999 Berlin, Germany
fon +49 30 69201880 fax +49 30 692018809
email er...@classlibrary.net

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins

May 21, 2012, 11:04:15 AM5/21/12
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Erik Stein <co...@classlibrary.net> wrote:

Am 21.05.2012 um 04:06 schrieb Adam Cezar Jenkins:

> I'm sad to hear that about the pony. The pony itself isn't the issue, the issue to me is that there is a lack of branding of a real logo/mascot.
>
> I agree with 90% of the comparisons made in the blog post http://grokcode.com/746/dear-python-why-are-you-so-ugly/

Please let me add in all politeness that I don't agree. djangoproject.com is not for the masses and therefore doesn't need to be over-simplified. On the contrary, it's for professionals who know what they are looking for.

I agree it doesn't need to be for the masses, but even professionals will make quick judgements based on look. Look is important, no matter the site.

What is missing in django marketing is IMHO a cleverly selected showcase of large and also small mature django sites, including in-house. A list of mature plugin-projects/apps would make sense, too.

I can't agree more with this statement.

I agree

Best
-- erik

Erik Stein
Programmierung, Grafik
       Oranienstr. 32   10999 Berlin, Germany
       fon +49 30 69201880   fax +49 30 692018809
       email er...@classlibrary.net

Russell Keith-Magee

May 21, 2012, 7:15:39 PM5/21/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins
<empero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Erik Stein <co...@classlibrary.net> wrote:
>>

>> Am 21.05.2012 um 04:06 schrieb Adam Cezar Jenkins:
>>
>> > I'm sad to hear that about the pony. The pony itself isn't the issue,
>> > the issue to me is that there is a lack of branding of a real logo/mascot.
>> >
>> > I agree with 90% of the comparisons made in the blog post
>> > http://grokcode.com/746/dear-python-why-are-you-so-ugly/
>>
>> Please let me add in all politeness that I don't agree. djangoproject.com
>> is not for the masses and therefore doesn't need to be over-simplified. On
>> the contrary, it's for professionals who know what they are looking for.
>>

> I agree it doesn't need to be for the masses, but even professionals will
> make quick judgements based on look. Look is important, no matter the site.
>

>> What is missing in django marketing is IMHO a cleverly selected showcase
>> of large and also small mature django sites, including in-house. A list of
>> mature plugin-projects/apps would make sense, too.
>>

> I can't agree more with this statement.

You won't get any disagreement from me here, either. However, what I
will disagree with is whether this showcase needs to be part of the
core Django project site (by which I mean created, monitored,
maintained by the core team), rather than an external project.

This is *exactly* why I keep harping on the point about providing a
space for links to external projects. Django People is the best
example of this, but a Django showcase would fit just as well. Both
can easily operate as a resource that is managed externally to the
core Django project. Managing them as external projects means they
aren't subject to the bottlenecks of "core team approval", and they
allow us, as a community, to expand the base of experts who are in a
position to represent the project as a whole. If any of these external
projects need help with hosting, the Django Software Foundation is in
a position to help out -- nobody should be out of pocket for
maintaining a resource that the whole Django community benefits from.

The DSF is also in a position to direct traffic to these projects --
but this isn't possible if the main project website doesn't provide a
way to spotlight these "external" projects as a prominent part of the
site design.

So - if you think there's a need for a showcase site -- go ahead and build it!

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins

May 22, 2012, 8:55:59 AM5/22/12
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <rus...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

So - if you think there's a need for a showcase site -- go ahead and build it!

http://www.djangosites.org/ has been around quite a while IIRC? I remember it being around four or five years ago. Is it still active?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Russell Keith-Magee

May 22, 2012, 10:13:49 AM5/22/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins
<empero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <rus...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>>

>> So - if you think there's a need for a showcase site -- go ahead and build
>> it!
>>

> http://www.djangosites.org/ has been around quite a while IIRC? I remember
> it being around four or five years ago. Is it still active?

Well, the site has been around for a while, and is still up. It's
even linked from the current homepage (indirectly -- you have to go
via the wiki). I can't comment on how actively it's being maintained.

However, while it's a reasonable index, but I don't think it's a very
good showcase -- at least, not in it's current form.

The first page you see on the site lists a bunch of sites I've never
heard of. The 5 "Highest rated" sites are apparently: paste
DjangoSites, SuggestionBox, Chesspark, and Music Discipline.

These may all be fine sites, but if I were trying to showcase
commercial usage of Django, I'd start with sites that people have
actually heard of -- sites like Mozilla, Disqus, Pinterest and
Instagram. As far as I can make out, none of these 4 are even in the
djangosites index.

So - Djangosites might be the starting point for a showcase site; but
it needs a whole lot of attention before it's "front page" material,
IMHO. In particular, it needs some editorial control -- someone who is
actively selecting content that showcases the best of Django, rather
than relying on the community to hopefully contribute and promote good
sites.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Ashraful Sheikh

May 23, 2012, 8:36:53 PM5/23/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I saw this on HackerNews(news.ycombinator.com) and wanted to contribute. Here is my mockup: http://i.imgur.com/dSMSJ.jpg

With the design, I focused on keeping the look extremely clean, professional and minimalistic. The content is based on that of the current site. The mockup may seem a bit lacking in color, but adding eye-catching icons for the features, and the screens for the "built with Django" section will add sufficient color to liven up the design. On wider screens, the blog posts will appear in a siderbar to the left of the features list.

If you guys like it, email me at inl...@gmail.com, or reply here. You can check out my previous work at madebyargon.com. Some of you may have seen the redesign I did for VideoLAN (videolan.org) which receive a positive reaction from the open-source community surrounding VLC.

Thanks.

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:05:27 PM UTC+6, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
Hi Dana,

I completely agree. I've been trying to get a redesign of djangoproject.com going for quite some time under the auspices of the Django Foundation. As you can see from the lack of changes, you can see that I haven't been particularly successful :-(

The fundamental problem is that we have plenty of coding talent at our disposal, but not as much design talent. That's not to say that there aren't many talented designers in our community -- there are -- it's just that they're all very busy. We've approached several people in the Django design community asking them to help out, and some have even made done some initial work. However, redesign of a high-profile site like djangoproject.com is a big job, and nobody has been able to spare the time to bring the job to completion.

So - at this point I'm open to any offers. I want to avoid design by committee -- ideally, I would like to pass this off to a single person (or a small group) and give them complete control over design process. I'm not completely sure how to organise who gets this role -- suggestions are welcome.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, drop me a line and I can give you the design brief we've been working with.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 3:22 PM, Dana Woodman wrote:

> So now that Django is being moved to Git/Github (which is awesome!), maybe it would be a good time to think about a revamped home page for the project ala djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com)?
>
> Obviously this is no small undertaking and would be potentially contentions as to what would be the proper path, but I feel (and I don't think I'm alone) that djangoproject.com (http://djangoproject.com) could use a bit of a facelift.
>
> I have some idea of my own as to how this could be accomplished and I'm sure there are a ton of others out there with great ideas as well. Maybe we could open up some discussion on this idea?
>
> Forgive me if this has been proposed before as I'm new to the group!
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Łukasz Rekucki

May 24, 2012, 2:03:44 AM5/24/12
On 24 May 2012 02:36, Ashraful Sheikh <inl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I saw this on HackerNews(news.ycombinator.com) and wanted to contribute.
> Here is my mockup: http://i.imgur.com/dSMSJ.jpg
>
> With the design, I focused on keeping the look extremely clean, professional
> and minimalistic. The content is based on that of the current site. The
> mockup may seem a bit lacking in color, but adding eye-catching icons for
> the features, and the screens for the "built with Django" section will add
> sufficient color to liven up the design. On wider screens, the blog posts
> will appear in a siderbar to the left of the features list.
>
> If you guys like it, email me at inl...@gmail.com, or reply here. You can
> check out my previous work at madebyargon.com. Some of you may have seen the
> redesign I did for VideoLAN (videolan.org) which receive a positive reaction
> from the open-source community surrounding VLC.

You really might want to read this thread before posting any mockups -
especially Russell's comments.

Just to point out one problem: where is the "Code" or "File a bug"
link ? If someone wants to contribute to Django in some way: code, doc
fixes, translation, money for DSF, etc., the site should make it easy
to find the necessary information for that to happen (like a link bug
tracker, *link to github*, link to Transifex and a contact to DSF).
"Download" is really not the most important link these days.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Łukasz Rekucki

Andre Terra

May 24, 2012, 9:57:26 AM5/24/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ashraful,

First of all, thank you for contributing with your ideas for this project. Your mockup is one of the most aesthetically pleasing so far IMHO but there are some issues that need addressing before it could be replace the current design.

Since the mockup to feedback ratio in this thread seems distant from 1 at the moment, I wanted to contribute to the discussion, so please bear with me.

I really like your overall use of whitespace, especially right at the top. My first thought after seeing the design is that it doesn't feel cluttered, and this is my biggest issue with the current layout. But the more I looked into it, the more I noticed key areas are missing.

Russel has mentioned several times that djangoproject.com is not only for developers. We need to "sell" the project to sponsors who provide publicity and financial support, and managers who can foment adoption of our most loved framework in design shops around the globe and corporate environments seeking modern solutions to everyday challenges.

It could be argued that developers themselves don't need a "download" button. Django is hosted on at least half a dozen platforms and the ways to access these are also greatly diverse. I'm one of those who believe that familiarity with python packages and VCS tools are paramount to the success of Django developers, so pip and git are probably more relevant in today's world than tarballs.

We also need to do address how Django relies on the community to prosper, and anyone can contribute. Users can submit tickets, developers can patch code, newbies can write docs and many more. This also needs to stand out in the layout.

I like your use of silver and to be honest, it goes with green much better than our current beige, whilst looking more professional, clean and modern. I see no reason for keeping *everything* silver, however. Surely we could include a dash of green in the middle and bottom section, don't you agree?

I also don't think the blog posts are layed out in a particularly elegant way. There's no telling what the most recent post is, and laying them out on a grid seems like a waste of valuable space. Perhaps you could split that into a main area on the left and additional, less prominent info on the right?

A lot of the previous mockups made great suggestions on addition content that you could incorporate, like videocasts for example.

Last but not least, I don't get the logo. It's not that it doesn't look good, but it simply doesn't fit Django. The framework is not in any way related to chatting, so the speech bubble feels out of place. As for the icons, they're somewhat random and fail to illustrate what the project is about.

"The web framework for perfeccionists with deadlines" is a very abstract concept. If we can't come up with a concrete drawing of that vision, we should at least be inspired to design a conceptual and abstract piece that resonates with the notions of "framework", "perfeccionism", and "deadlines". Django's most admired strength is how it manages to solve the trade off between robustness and complexity in a seemingly natural way, and we should convey that.

Before getting back to work, take a look at the previous mockups and the criticism that followed. There's a lot to be learned from what others did well, and it might also help you avoid the same pitfalls.

Cheers,
André Terra

-- Sent from my phone, please excuse any typos. --

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/-/redpIwTY8KMJ.

Ashraful Sheikh

May 24, 2012, 12:28:20 PM5/24/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is an updated version of the design.

Let me know what you guys think. The icons and content are simply placeholders and can be changed later on. My experience is in web and UX design and am not a good illustrator or icon designer, so someone more experienced in those areas should ideally be creating the icons and the top illustration.

In the design, I still kept the primary call-to-action geared towards new users, because I feel that they would be the ones needing most guidance. People who are existing users or are experienced developers would be much more likely to be able to find what they are looking for by searching, going through the navigation or scrolling down the page, without needing a large button "above the fold".

Looking forward to more feedback regarding the design.

Thanks.

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

May 24, 2012, 1:14:36 PM5/24/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks --

Thanks so much to everyone who's participated in this thread; I feel
like there's a lot of useful discussion and brainstorming going on.

The DSF board met yesterday and discussed the effort -- we're
determined to get this done soon. Unfortunately, we ultimately think
that this collaborative effort isn't working: there's a lot of great
ideas, but some of the discussion is veering closer to "design by
committee", and nobody's really empowered to move things forward.

Ultimately and sadly, though, great design is at odds to a community
process: the only way we know to get something we *love* is to find
someone awesome and let them do their thing.

So here's the plan: in the next month we're do exactly that: find
someone awesome, and give them carte blance on the redesign. We'll of
course give feedback, and touch base with the community a few times,
but ultimately we're going to put this thing into one person's hands.

If you'd like to become the Benevolent Dictator For This Redesign,
then please send a proposal to <found...@djangoproject.com>. This
doesn't need to be formal; we just need to know two things:

1. Can you deliver? Convince us that you'll actually be able to get
this done: show us a track record of shipping, and explain why you'll
have time to work on this. We'd like to see this land before DjangoCon
US in September; can you hit that?

2. Are you awesome? Convince us that your design will rock. This can
come in the form of a mockup, or previous work, or whatever. Again we
don't need formal stuff here, and we certainly don't expect spec work.
We just want to make sure your aesthetic matches ours.

A few further notes:

* I want to stress the informality of this. We don't need or want a
full formal proposal like you would for a real client; we just want to
know that you're awesome and can deliver. If you can prove that to us
in a few words, do it!

* You don't have to do this all yourself; we have quite a few
volunteers. Importantly, we have *plenty* of people who can help on
the backend (natch), so really all we need is someone who's great at
the design side. How much of the actual coding you do is up to you. If
you've got weaknesses that's complete fine, just tell us what help you
need and we'll fill it in. You'll be in charge visually and
aesthetically, but we'll encourage you to delegate as much as you can.

* We don't currently have a budget assigned; we're thinking this'll be
volunteer work. However, the DSF *does* have some funds, and if money
makes the difference we'll spend it. So if you need money to make it
happen, tell us. We won't penalize you if you need to get paid (but at
the same time we hope you recognize we probably can't afford market
rates).

* The deadline is Sunday, June 17th, and we'll aim to make a decision that week.

Thanks everyone!

Jacob

PS: I'm deliberately burying this down in the thread instead of
posting this more publicly. I'd like to avoid this becoming a general
call; I'm more interested in reaching people who're *already* paying
attention to this effort. I'd appreciate it, then, if you'd keep this
call off Reddit, Hacker News, etc. However, if you know someone who
you think *should* be interested, please forward it onto them!

Stan

May 25, 2012, 7:42:57 AM5/25/12

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:57:26 PM UTC+2, Andre Terra wrote:

[...]

There is a clear consensus about the Pony not fitting here. Almost every project use something from the nature as a logo (a whale, an apple, a leaf, an elephant etc). This is way too boring ! I suggest a good and rock-solid anvil.

Wim Feijen

Oct 9, 2012, 2:58:58 PM10/9/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

I was wondering whether there were any entries and whether a decision has been taken to appoint a benevolent redesigner?

Personally I really liked Dana's proposal, marketing-wise, and considering she raised the question, I would certainly support her.

My apologies if I missed a conversation on the mailing list.

Best regards,

Wim

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Oct 9, 2012, 4:40:33 PM10/9/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Win --

Yes, we selected one of the bids, and we're working with that team to
get a new site out. Stay tuned!

Jacob

Dana Woodman

Oct 9, 2012, 5:26:42 PM10/9/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Glad you like the design, but I'm a he. :)

Wim Feijen

Oct 9, 2012, 5:48:48 PM10/9/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Oops sorry Dana! Thanks Jacob, that's good to hear!