DIY DNA synthesis links and notes

Bryan Bishop

Jul 6, 2009, 1:58:44 PM7/6/09
to diytrans...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
Hey all,

There have been some posts to the diybio about do-it-yourself DNA
synthesis from household items. Here are some links for the sake of
hoarding.

DIY DNA synthesis bibliography
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/f2d636339a6e9c4d

DLP projector based gene synthesizer project proposal
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/5f77c7fab381e5ed

Some ranting notes on schemes for microfluidic DNA synthesizers
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/6676a7ec80d37ef9

Sequencing and synthesis predictions for 2010 from 2003
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/52b93a96a4927e45

Synthesis of unnatural nucleic acids (like GNA)
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/912e485da761b3c6

Short bibliography of DIY-friendly DNA synthesis methods
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/70bea2b53b7716af

Notes towards DIY DNA synthesis and the synthesis of photolabile
protecting groups from kitchen household products
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/6feeeb29e4d5bc3a

There is a small FAQ with these links over here:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ#DNA_synthesis_MiniFAQ

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to write an updated FAQ about
transhumanism, diybio, open manufacturing, maybe open source medicine,
fablabs, pink army, etc. etc. It's just something that should be done
relatively soon. The diybio FAQ hardly covers these other subjects.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Jul 6, 2009, 2:40:13 PM7/6/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com, diytrans...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Parijata Mackey <pari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a small FAQ with these links over here:
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ#DNA_synthesis_MiniFAQ
>
> > Speaking of which, I've been meaning to write an updated FAQ about
> > transhumanism, diybio, open manufacturing, maybe open source medicine,
> > fablabs, pink army, etc. etc.
>
> Yes. Fantastic. Let's work on this soon. Google docs okay?

I would prefer to use something else, but for the sake of brevity,
sure. I would really really like to throw up a dokuwiki somewhere and
just use that, because a wiki is more appropriate for this sort of
thing, and OpenWetWare has its own identity issues, and I don't even
know why we're bothering to store the diybio FAQ there.

I would be willing to host the dokuwiki on heybryan.org; in the mean
time, I have access to diybioforums.org and can put it up there,
unless someone is quicker than I am and can throw up a wiki for this
FAQ even faster. ;-)

> > It's just something that should be done
> > relatively soon. The diybio FAQ hardly covers these other subjects.

Let the race begin.

Parijata Mackey

Jul 6, 2009, 2:35:32 PM7/6/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com, diytrans...@googlegroups.com

--
Parijata Mackey
University of Chicago

--

"Have patience with all yet unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and foreign scripts. Do not now seek the answers. They cannot yet be given because you could not yet live them -- and the point is to live everything. At the present, you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day."

- Rainer Maria Rilke

Parijata Mackey

Jul 6, 2009, 2:44:48 PM7/6/09
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Parijata Mackey <pari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a small FAQ with these links over here:
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ#DNA_synthesis_MiniFAQ
>
> > Speaking of which, I've been meaning to write an updated FAQ about
> > transhumanism, diybio, open manufacturing, maybe open source medicine,
> > fablabs, pink army, etc. etc.
>
> Yes. Fantastic. Let's work on this soon. Google docs okay?

I would prefer to use something else, but for the sake of brevity,
sure. I would really really like to throw up a dokuwiki somewhere and
just use that, because a wiki is more appropriate for this sort of
thing, and OpenWetWare has its own identity issues, and I don't even
know why we're bothering to store the diybio FAQ there.

A wiki would be much, much better.

I would be willing to host the dokuwiki on heybryan.org;

Thanks!

in the mean
time, I have access to diybioforums.org and can put it up there,
unless someone is quicker than I am and can throw up a wiki for this
FAQ even faster. ;-)

Let's do it.

> > It's just something that should be done
> > relatively soon. The diybio FAQ hardly covers these other subjects.

Let the race begin.

Bryan Bishop

Jul 6, 2009, 2:49:03 PM7/6/09
to Parijata Mackey, kan...@gmail.com, opensourc...@googlegroups.com, diytrans...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Parijata Mackey wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Bryan Bishop wrote:

>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Parijata Mackey wrote:
>> > There is a small FAQ with these links over here:
>> > http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ#DNA_synthesis_MiniFAQ

>> > Yes. Fantastic. Let's work on this soon. Google docs okay?
>>
>> I would prefer to use something else, but for the sake of brevity,
>> sure. I would really really like to throw up a dokuwiki somewhere and
>> just use that, because a wiki is more appropriate for this sort of
>> thing, and OpenWetWare has its own identity issues, and I don't even
>> know why we're bothering to store the diybio FAQ there.
>
> A wiki would be much, much better.

http://diybioforum.org/wiki/

Okay. There we go. Let's get started.

Parijata Mackey

Jul 6, 2009, 3:02:33 PM7/6/09
to Bryan Bishop, opensourc...@googlegroups.com, diytrans...@googlegroups.com
Because Bryan is awesome, he set this up to get us started:

http://diybioforum.org/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#open_source_everything

Let's add to it!