Short bibliography of DIY-friendly DNA synthesis techniques

Bryan Bishop

Apr 13, 2009, 4:17:40 AM4/13/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
Hey all,

I put some thought into a small bibliography for DIY DNA synthesis
tonight, after an anonymous fellow and I discussed various methods.
Nothing working yet, and it's not exactly on the top of the list of
things to do in terms of lab components that need to be implemented
(*cough* PCR would be a good first step- Jonathan has some good ideas
on this, though).

Anyway, hope this helps some others thinking about these methods-

http://heybryan.org/books/papers/bibliographies/DIY-DNA-synth.bib

I think I'm missing a lot of different techniques though. For
instance, a while back I found a paper where somebody (foolishly?)
performed benchwork for many, many hours hand-pipetting different
nucleotides around in an attempt to synthesize some 20-mer, which
technically is "DIY friendly", although maybe it's better called
unfriendly- something like that might not be a good idea if you're
looking into synthesizing massive genomes, or something.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

William Heath

Apr 13, 2009, 2:38:18 PM4/13/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

Keep these kinds of activities/ideas coming!  Did you see my video yet?

-Tim