Re: Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering

Arlen Holder

Apr 5, 2020, 3:49:14 PM4/5/20

> Shortcuts on my desktop...

Regarding...
o *Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering*
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/c1Eev1tw/shutdown-or-restart-windows-without-bickering>

Thanks for those two useful shortcuts, which I'll add to the archives:
o *What useful Windows shortcuts would you like to share with users*?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/80ZHKKFom0c/RN3V0Av6BQAJ>

Where one option is to add your new shortcut to your start run commands:
If you want easy "start run" access to your new shortcuts:
o *Quick tutorial for creating easy (Start > Run) access to lookup files on Windows*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/5LxGOixwwWs/q8wVoJ3mBAAJ>

Where there are already a few hundred start run commands to choose from:
o *Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve)*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/cc1lGn3ty0E/DH_FxVCjAAAJ>

Bear in mind there's sometimes a need to _combine_ commands in shortcuts:
o What syntax combines 2 commands into a single shortcut TARGET line?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.msdos.batch/azQbz6D_v0Y>

If you want your new shortcut icon to one of hundreds already available:
o *What Windows 10 default files contain lots of useful icons for shortcuts to be set to?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/-1nQdP8E_Yc/VILrouTSBAAJ>

Or, better yet, if you want custom icons for your new batch file shortcuts:
o *Tutorial for creating custom Windows icons from screenshots using only Irfanview freeware*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/xm6aHzaC-D8/uD1PLfk6DAAJ>

If you want easy access and ease-of-use options for your new shortcuts:
o *Please follow this cut-and-paste tutorial to get batch command shortcuts working perfectly on Windows*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/1PzeGP4KMTU/tTbcd9zxAAAJ>

Remember, there's often the need for a special trick (described above) to
get some of these desktop shortcuts to easily slide onto your taskbar,
which is just another part of an efficient Windows menu system:
o *Tutorial for setting up a well-organized consistent efficient Windows menu system*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/eWU-jOkFRtU/ckLcKqDRBQAJ>

For example, here's a tiny snippet from that canonical thread:
shutdown.lnk
Target=%windir%\System32\SlideToShutDown.exe
ICONFROM: %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll
KEYBOARD: Shortcut Properties > Shortcut key > (just press "s")
which will make the keyboard key Ctrl + Alt + S
NOTE: There are lots of ways to shut down; this is only one.
reboot.lnk
Target=C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /f /t 5 /c "Reboot in 5 seconds!"
ICON: %SystemRoot%\System32\cmmon32.exe
KEYBOARD: Shortcut Properties > Shortcut key > (just press "r")
which will make the keyboard key Ctrl + Alt + R
abortshutdown.lnk
Target=%Windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -a
ICON: C:\Windows\System32\Dxpserver.exe
KEYBOARD: Shortcut Properties > Shortcut key > (just press "a")
which will make the keyboard key Ctrl + Alt + Del
NOTE: There are lots of ways to abort; this is only one.
etc.
--
Usenet is a wonderful public permanent archive of useful tech discussions:

Kerr-Mudd,John

Apr 6, 2020, 6:42:28 AM4/6/20
On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 20:01:12 GMT, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@anyexample.com> wrote:

>> Shortcuts on my desktop...
>
> Regarding...
> o *Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering*
> <https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/c1Eev1tw/shutdown-or-rest
> art-windows-without-bickering>

Thanks; I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

John Doe

Apr 6, 2020, 6:52:15 AM4/6/20
"Kerr-Mudd,John" <nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

> Thanks; I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts.

Shortcuts are icons, plus a name.

Ken Blake

Apr 6, 2020, 11:22:03 AM4/6/20
A shortcut is a *pointer* to a file, folder, web page, etc. A shortcut
is represented (usually on the desktop) by an icon with a name, but the
icon and name are not the shortcut itself.

--
Ken

John Doe

Apr 6, 2020, 12:20:20 PM4/6/20
The user added icons to "*pointers* to a file"?

Frank Slootweg

Apr 6, 2020, 1:35:25 PM4/6/20
To be precise, he (John Kerr-Mudd) probably didn't *add* icons, but
*replaced* whatever icon there were with more appropriate ones [1].

Anyway, if you're objecting to Ken's "*pointers* to a file", that's a
more correct description of a shortcut than your "Shortcuts are icons,
plus a name.".

[1] AFAIK, it's not possible to create a shortcut which does not have an
icon associated with it. I.e. you can change the icon, but not add (or
delete) it.

John Doe

Apr 6, 2020, 2:03:05 PM4/6/20
Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe <alway...@message.header> wrote:
>> Ken Blake wrote:

>>> A shortcut is a *pointer* to a file, folder, web page, etc. A
>>> shortcut is represented (usually on the desktop) by an icon
>>> with a name, but the icon and name are not the shortcut itself.
>>
>> The user added icons to "*pointers* to a file"?
>
> To be precise, he (John Kerr-Mudd) probably didn't *add* icons,
> but *replaced* whatever icon there were with more appropriate ones
> [1].

That's what I said, Doofus.

> Anyway, if you're objecting to Ken's "*pointers* to a file",

I didn't object to anything, Doofus.

> that's a more correct description of a shortcut than your
> "Shortcuts are icons, plus a name.".

Nonsense. It's like the difference between describing a house as
"four walls and a roof", or "a place that shelters people". Or a car
as "a box with four wheels", or "something that gets you from here
to there". In this context (REPLYING TO THE POSTER, SEE ABOVE), my
description is better.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Apr 6, 2020, 4:54:59 PM4/6/20
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 17:35:23 GMT, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote:

> John Doe <alway...@message.header> wrote:
>> Ken Blake wrote:

>> > A shortcut is a *pointer* to a file, folder, web page, etc. A
>> > shortcut is represented (usually on the desktop) by an icon with a
>> > name, but the icon and name are not the shortcut itself.
>>
>> The user added icons to "*pointers* to a file"?
>
> To be precise, he (John Kerr-Mudd) probably didn't *add* icons, but
> *replaced* whatever icon there were with more appropriate ones [1].

Yes; they were dull default ones (ain't no icons in shutdown.exe)

> Anyway, if you're objecting to Ken's "*pointers* to a file", that's a
> more correct description of a shortcut than your "Shortcuts are icons,
> plus a name.".
>
> [1] AFAIK, it's not possible to create a shortcut which does not have
an
> icon associated with it. I.e. you can change the icon, but not add (or
> delete) it.

OK.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Apr 6, 2020, 4:57:44 PM4/6/20
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 18:03:04 GMT, John Doe <alway...@message.header>
wrote:

> Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> John Doe <alway...@message.header> wrote:

>>> The user added icons to "*pointers* to a file"?
>>
>> To be precise, he (John Kerr-Mudd) probably didn't *add* icons,
>> but *replaced* whatever icon there were with more appropriate ones
>> [1].
>
> That's what I said, Doofus.
>
>> Anyway, if you're objecting to Ken's "*pointers* to a file",

It's as 1st stated: they're actually 'lnk' files; containg a pointer to
an icon and an executable. Aren't we being precise?

> I didn't object to anything, Doofus.

Play nicely now, children.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

John Doe

Apr 6, 2020, 5:36:57 PM4/6/20

> It's as 1st stated: they're actually 'lnk' files; containg a
> pointer to an icon and an executable. Aren't we being precise?

Nobody cares what they are. That has nothing to do with the statement
I replied to "I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts."

The poster is not talking about pointers, he is talking about the item
called a "shortcut" that is visible on his screen.

Rene Lamontagne

Apr 6, 2020, 6:06:15 PM4/6/20
On 2020-04-06 4:36 p.m., John Doe wrote:

>> It's as 1st stated: they're actually 'lnk' files; containg a
>> pointer to an icon and an executable. Aren't we being precise?
>
> Nobody cares what they are. That has nothing to do with the statement
> I replied to "I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts."
>
> The poster is not talking about pointers, he is talking about the item
> called a "shortcut" that is visible on his screen.

And there are literally hundreds of beautiful Shutdown and Restart icons
on the net.

Rene

Arlen Holder

Apr 6, 2020, 11:31:55 PM4/6/20

>> To be precise, he (John Kerr-Mudd) probably didn't *add* icons, but
>> *replaced* whatever icon there were with more appropriate ones [1].
>
> Yes; they were dull default ones (ain't no icons in shutdown.exe)

Hi Kerr-Mudd, John,

I appreciate that you noticed there are a handful of highly non-intuitive
(& yet extremely useful) tricks on those few threads I referenced for you.
<https://i.postimg.cc/vHc2THz3/icon01.jpg>

Hence, I thank you for letting me know you profited from being able to
change your {batch, shortcut, & target} icons to existing icons, e.g.,
o %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll

Those who customize Windows with the following will _instantly_ perceive
the value of being able to set custom icons for the following types:
o BATCH (e.g., foo.bat, or foo.exe commands)
o SHORTCUT (e.g., foo.lnk whose TARGET points to batch or executable files)
o TARGET (e.g., foo.lnk whose TARGET runs a command sequence or cascade)

*BATCH:* (also includes EXECUTABLE files you create)
Given all these batch files default to the same two-gears icon, it behooves
those of us who write msdos batch scripts to differentiate the zillions of
*.bat batch files with _different_ differentiating icons... for example:
a. A batch file to open a red admin window might have a red-terminal icon
b. While a killswitch batch file to kill the gateway may be a big red X
c. And a reboot batch file might have a circular icon in other bold colors

*SHORTCUT*
In addition, when we create shortcuts to those batch files, we'd like to
have similar distinctive icons for each of those *.lnk shortcuts.
a. A shortcut to the open-as-admin red window would have a red term icon
b. A shortcut to the killswitch batch file migh have a big red X icon
c. A shortcut to the reboot batch file might have a bold circular icon

*TARGET*
Furthermore, many commands are called directly from the TARGET of a *.lnk
shortcut, such as these common everyday examples in use daily:
a. TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /r /f /t 5 /c "Reboot in 5s!"
b. TARGET: %comspec% /c VeraCrypt /volume F.hc /letter F /auto /quit /explore & VeraCrypt /volume G.hc /letter G /auto /quit /explore
c. TARGET: VeraCrypt /dismount /force

Without changing the individual, these zillions of user-defined
{batch, shortcut, & target} commands all blend together with the same default icon.

We spent a lot of effort in those links to _find_ hundreds of readily-available
icons in Windows 10 to choose from.
o *What Windows 10 default files contain lots of useful icons for shortcuts to be set to?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/-1nQdP8E_Yc/VILrouTSBAAJ>

The fact you were able to leverage that information makes the effort to gather
the details in that one post all worthwhile, as the goal _always_, is to
increase the tribal knowledge for all of us.

The three non-obvious "tricks" to setting icons for {batch, shortcut, & target}
commands are described in those referenced tutorials, namely:
a. The non-intuitive trick 1 to change the icons of *.bat files
b. The non-intuitive trick 2 to find _all_ known default Windows icons
c. The non-intuitive trick 3 to create your own custom icons using freeware

As you may have noted, that half-dozen set of references contained a handful of
highly useful and yet inherently non-intuitive useful tricks.

TRICK 4:
In addition, it's not intuitive how to _combine_ %comspec% commands in a single
TARGET line (but once you know the trick I learned on the a.m.b group, you'll be
able to create tons of combined TARGET-line commands, each of which you'll
likely want to set a unique icon to).

TRICK 5:
Plus, it's not intuitive to most people how to create an instinctive
o "*Start > Run*" command (and keyboard combo)
to any or all of the zillions commands above that you've created, where that
useful "start > run" trick was also outlined in the references.

TRICK 6:
It's not even obvious (if you don't know the trick) how to pin a batch file
to the taskbar, if you don't know the simple but non-intuitive tricks in those
half dozen reference tutorials I pointed you.

TRICK 7:
Certainly it's not obvious to some people that the Windows XP style
(accordion-style, cascade-style) menus not only never left Windows 10,
but they're native in Windows 10, and, get this ... the EXACT copy of the
Windows XP menu works _perfectly_ on Windows 10 - bit for bit - exactly!

In short, that handful of references you liked contained _tons_ of useful
non-intuitive tricks that I've learned from others over the decades; hence,
I openly appreciate you recognized the inherent value they contained.
o *What Windows 10 default files contain lots of useful icons for shortcuts to be set to?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/-1nQdP8E_Yc/VILrouTSBAAJ>
o *Tutorial for creating custom Windows icons from screenshots using only Irfanview freeware*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/xm6aHzaC-D8/uD1PLfk6DAAJ>
o *Please follow this cut-and-paste tutorial to get batch command shortcuts working perfectly on Windows*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/1PzeGP4KMTU/tTbcd9zxAAAJ>
o *Over 250 Start > Run commands (please improve this Start Run commands list)*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.msdos.batch/azQbz6D_v0Y/zwvOqeCmEAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/eWU-jOkFRtU/lkVU8yolBQAJ>
--
Each thread to Usenet should strive to add value to our tribal knowledge.

Arlen Holder

Apr 7, 2020, 1:47:13 AM4/7/20

> Thanks; I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts.

For those who asked _why_ we'd want to change out shutdown icons...
o This image gives an example of some shutdown icons I use myself
<https://i.postimg.cc/3N7ZdRSb/icon02.jpg>

Just one more example (of many) where you'd _need_ to create an icon, is
when you try to put the "Edge" browser in your WinXP-style accordion-style
cascade-style native Windows 10 menus, as shown on my system today:
<https://i.postimg.cc/cHVqvPPb/icon03.jpg>

A quick test of creating that shortcut & setting its icon is to do this:
a. Create an empty shortcut, named "edge.lnk" for example.
b. Set the shortcut TARGET to the following:
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
c. Then pick an icon from this location:
%windir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Or pick an icon from any desired pre-existing default location, e.g.,
o C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll (default icon location)
o C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll (folders, devices, actions)
o C:\windows\system32\ddores.dll (hardware devices and resources)
o C:\windows\system32\pifmgr.dll (old-style icons of Windows 95 vintage)
o C:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl (old-style icons of Windows 95 vintage)
o C:\windows\system32\moricons.dll (old-style icons of Windows 95 vintage)
o C:\windows\system32\accessibilitycpl.dll (accessibility features icons)
o C:\windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll (old-style computer management icons)
o C:\windows\system32\gameux.dll (gaming icons)
o C:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe (paint-related icons)
o C:\windows\system32\mmres.dll (audio speakers, headphones, microphones)
o C:\windows\system32\netcenter.dll (network settings and features)
o C:\windows\system32\netshell.dll (network connections & hardware)
o C:\windows\system32\networkexplorer.dll (network connections & hardware)
o C:\windows\system32\twinui.dll (twin screens icons)
o C:\windows\explorer.exe (file explorer icons)
etc.

If you don't actually try to put an Edge menu in your WinXP-style menus,
then you won't realize that you need to know these tricks for efficiency.
--
The benefit of the public Usenet potluck is we learn well from each other.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Apr 7, 2020, 11:21:47 AM4/7/20
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 21:36:56 GMT, John Doe <alway...@message.header>
wrote:
That was me; but you can have the last word, if it pleases you.

Frank Slootweg

Apr 7, 2020, 11:38:18 AM4/7/20
Boggles the mind, doesn't it!?

John Doe

Apr 7, 2020, 11:40:07 AM4/7/20
I apologize for not recognizing this asshole as the idiot
who said "I've finally added icons to my shutdown shortcuts."

Thanks for the last word, idiot!
Freaking idiot giving someone permission to have the last word
on USENET...

--
"Kerr-Mudd,John" <notsaying invalid.org> wrote:

> From: "Kerr-Mudd,John" <notsaying invalid.org>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
> Subject: Re: Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering
> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 15:21:46 -0000 (UTC)
> References: <5u5f8f55j3i2jnjeq1qqofkat2d31ksr83 4ax.com> <r6bv68$unc$1 dont-email.me> <r6dcno$vjj$1 news.mixmin.net> <XnsAB97771952165admin127001 144.76.35.198> <r6f1kp$lto$1 dont-email.me> <hf0vopFajccU1 mid.individual.net> <r6fkru$10g$1 dont-email.me> <r6g09f.lpo.1 ID-201911.user.individual.net> <r6fqso$1kn$2 dont-email.me> <XnsAB97DF6FC4147admin127001 144.76.35.198> <r6g7dn$ah8$1 dont-email.me>
>
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 21:36:56 GMT, John Doe <always.look message.header>

John Doe

Apr 7, 2020, 11:42:25 AM4/7/20
I know this troll is faking it. Even the actually brain-dead
are not this good at acting brain-dead...

--
Frank Slootweg <this ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> From: Frank Slootweg <this ddress.is.invalid>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
> Subject: Re: Shutdown or Restart Windows without bickering
> Date: 7 Apr 2020 15:38:16 GMT
> References: <5u5f8f55j3i2jnjeq1qqofkat2d31ksr83 4ax.com> <r6bv68$unc$1 dont-email.me> <r6dcno$vjj$1 news.mixmin.net> <XnsAB97771952165admin127001 144.76.35.198> <r6f1kp$lto$1 dont-email.me> <hf0vopFajccU1 mid.individual.net> <r6fkru$10g$1 dont-email.me> <r6g09f.lpo.1 ID-201911.user.individual.net> <r6fqso$1kn$2 dont-email.me> <XnsAB97DF6FC4147admin127001 144.76.35.198> <r6g7dn$ah8$1 dont-email.me> <XnsAB98A68249568admin127001 144.76.35.198>
>
> Kerr-Mudd,John <notsaying invalid.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 21:36:56 GMT, John Doe <always.look message.header>

John Doe

Apr 7, 2020, 11:45:51 AM4/7/20
No, you freaking idiot, we are talking about the shortcut
as it appears on the screen, as an icon with a name.

This idiot thinks the subject is shortcut properties...