Re: What Windows 10 default files contain lots of useful icons for shortcuts to be set to?

K120

Sep 11, 2018, 4:38:15 AM9/11/18
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 22:57:27 -0400, K120 <hunt...@interweb.net> said:
Quick summary of how to put custom batch file icons in Windows 10 menus
(much of this applies to WinXP & Win7 so I included them for this 1 post)
a. Taskbar
b. Left-side Start Menu
c. Right-side Start Menu
d. Taskbar Toolbar Cascade Menu (aka the Windows XP Classic Start Menu)

Cut here for a sample batch file to output a Hello-World print statement:
@echo off
echo "Hellow World"
pause
exit
Cut here for a sample batch file to start Microsoft Edge in prive browser
mode:
@echo off
%ComSpec% /c "start
shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
-private"
exit
Cut here for a sample batch file to open a red command window as
Administrator:
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
IF NOT "%~1"=="" goto :START
SET LogFile=%TEMP%\cmda.vbs"
Echo Set UAC = CreateObject("Shell.Application") >"%LogFile%"
Echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~f0", "%cd%", "", "runas", 1 >>"%LogFile%"
Start "" /MIN "%LogFile%"
goto :EOF
:START
%ComSpec% /k "CD /D "%*" & Echo Administrator: & color 4F"
:EOF
Cut here for a sample batch file to check the IP address & network
connection:
@echo off
set pingit=www.google.com
:curlme
C:\Windows\System32\curl.exe icanhazip.com
timeout 1 /nobreak>nul
ping %pingit%
pause
goto curlme
:stop
exit
Cut here for a sample batch file to set & doublecheck the local time zone:
echo off
tzutil.exe /s "Eastern Standard Time"
echo.
tzutil.exe /g
echo.
pause
exit

001 Create test.bat & test to ensure it works
002 Copy test.bat to test.exe (which can be deleted later, if desired)
003 Make a shortcut to test.exe (which also can be deleted later, if
desired)
004 Set the icon to "shortcut to test.exe" to one of your choosing
"shortcut to test.exe", Properties, Change Icon, (select icon), OK
You may need to wait up to 30 secondes for the new icon to take effect.
You can choose the icons from any file below.
C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll (default icon location)
C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll (folders, devices, actions)
C:\windows\system32\ddores.dll (hardware devices and resources)
C:\windows\system32\pifmgr.dll (old-style icons of Windows 95 vintage)
C:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl (old-style icons of Windows 95 vintage)
C:\windows\system32\moricons.dll (old-style icons of Windows 95
vintage)
C:\windows\system32\accessibilitycpl.dll (accessibility features icons)
C:\windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll (old-style computer management icons)
C:\windows\system32\gameux.dll (gaming icons)
C:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe (paint-related icons)
C:\windows\system32\mmres.dll (audio speakers, headphones, microphones)
C:\windows\system32\netcenter.dll (network settings and features)
C:\windows\system32\netshell.dll (network connections & hardware)
C:\windows\system32\networkexplorer.dll (network connections &
hardware)
C:\windows\system32\twinui.dll (twin screens icons)
C:\windows\explorer.exe (file explorer icons)
You can choose the icons from this set of thousands of icons.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openiconlibrary/
You can also convert any image to an icon file using this 2-step
process:
A. Determine your "Shell Icon Size" dimensions, for example, if your
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon
Size=32
then you should create a 32x32 pixel icon "ico" file.
B. Load any image into Irfanview & save as an ICO file of 32x32 pixel
size
C. Use that "ico" icon file as your "test.ico" shortcut & menu icon
file.
005 Right click on "shortcut to test.exe" to "Pin to taskbar"
Note that you can't pin it to the taskbar as a "batch" file.
006 Double-right click on the "icon on the taskbar" to set the
"icon on the taskbar" "Properties" "Target" to the full path to
the original batch file "test.bat"
From Target = "test.exe"
To Target = "test.bat"
007 Test that the "icon on the taskbar" now works
008 If you're not planning on populating the Start Menu, you can now
delete the "shortcut to test.exe" and "test.exe".
009 If you wish to populate the Start Menu, then modify the Target field
of the "shortcut to test.exe"
From Target = "test.exe"
To Target = "test.bat"
010 To add the command to the left side Start Menu, copy or move the
"shortcut to test.exe" to this left-side Start Menu location
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\shortcut to test.exe
This will alphabetically place the "command in the left side Start
Menu"
011 To add the command to the right side Start Menu, right click on the
"command in the left side Start Menu" & select "Pin to Start"
012 To add the command to the native Win10 Cascade Start Menu toolbar,
move or copy the "shortcut to test.exe" to a sub-hierarchy of your
choosing in this directory which you can set as a taskbar "toolbar":
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\mymenu
NOTE: This toolbar then acts exactly like the WinXP Cascade Menu.

R.Wieser

Sep 11, 2018, 5:11:10 AM9/11/18
K120,

First off, curses on you for dumping your reply into mutiple newsgroups, but
set the follow-up back to the origional one AND NOT MENTIONING IT.

> Quick summary of how to put custom batch file icons in Windows 10 menus
> (much of this applies to WinXP & Win7 so I included them for this 1 post)

[snipping a lot of crap that has got nothing to do with icons, nor with
(win10) menus]

I would suggest to simply, in the menu or elsewhere, rightclicking the
program/shortcut-to-file and selecting "properties" -> "change icon".

If that doesn't work for Win10 than maybe including Win7 and XP newsgroups
wasn't that good of an idea to begin with ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser