New BOINC version 7.16.9 for Mac ready for testing

1 view

Charlie Fenton

Aug 20, 2020, 5:22:43 AM8/20/20
to boinc_alpha email list
I've released BOINC 7.16.9 for alpha testing. This is a Macintosh-only release, and as usual is available from <https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php>. Please report test results to <https://boinc.berkeley.edu/alpha/test_form.php> or this email list.

The main purpose of this release is to fix some issues with displaying graphics under the soon to be released MacOS 11 Big Sur.

One of the issues under MacOS 11 is that, when you click the Manager's "Show graphics" button, the graphics app's close button is disabled. (This will be fixed in future builds of the graphics apps.)

As a workaround, the "Show graphics" button now changes to "Stop graphics" while the graphics app is running, providing a convenient way to close it. (As before, you can also close it by doing a control-click on the graphic app's Dock icon and selecting "quit.")

This release has a number of other bug fixes and added features since version 7.16.6, including:

* Don't let user attach to account manager as a project
* Parse config.xml correctly for account managers
* Client: allow specifying device name in cc_config.xml
* Mac: Improved screensaver logic for OS 10.15 Catalina
* Client: correctly initialize log flags to tasks, sched_ops, file_xfer
* Manager: Added a warning when the manager detects a second copy of itself
* Update translation files
* Update project list
* Client: measure disk usage in terms of allocated disk space, not file size
* Client: avoid CPU starvation when GPU computing is suspended
* Client: don't show "no work" messages as notices
* Client: let a project master URL change from http: to https: without involving the user
* Client: if AM reply includes a project we're attached to under a different account, honor the params in the AM reply, e.g resource share
* Manager: change "Show graphics" button to "Stop graphics" when graphics running

Cheers,
--Charlie

Georges Vinotte

Aug 20, 2020, 2:28:18 PM8/20/20
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_alpha email list
Hi Team,

When installing BM 7.16.9 on macOS 10.13 and 10.14, BM is not able to run Boinc Client if another language than English is selected…
(tested with French, German and Italian setting)

Cheers,
Georges

Charlie Fenton

Aug 20, 2020, 8:40:32 PM8/20/20
to boinc_alpha email list
If you had trouble installing on OS 10.15 Catalina or MacOS 11 Beta, I apologize; I forgot to "notarize: the apps. I have now done so and uploaded the notarized build. Please download again.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
--Charlie

Bill Barber

Aug 20, 2020, 9:08:30 PM8/20/20
to Charlie Fenton, BOINC ALPHA
It took a few minutes on Sierra to finally install. Hopefully this will be better.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ssl.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/boinc_alpha/2A932F1E-D6D3-4BDA-9EC5-D26A170EB90C%40ssl.berkeley.edu.

Charlie Fenton

Aug 20, 2020, 10:24:40 PM8/20/20
to boinc_alpha email list, boinc_dev email List
On Aug 20, 2020, at 3:51 AM, Georges Vinotte <g.vi...@laposte.net> wrote:
> When installing BM 7.16.9 on macOS 10.13 and 10.14, BM is not able to run Boinc Client if another language than English is selected…
> (tested with French, German and Italian setting)

I have confirmed this. I would appreciate it if someone who has the ability to build BOINC for Windows from GIT Master or the 7.16 branch could test this on Windows with the newest source files. This will help us figure out where the problem is.

Cheers,
--Charlie

> On Aug 20, 2020, at 3:51 AM, Georges Vinotte <g.vi...@laposte.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> When installing BM 7.16.9 on macOS 10.13 and 10.14, BM is not able to run Boinc Client if another language than English is selected…
> (tested with French, German and Italian setting)
>
> Cheers,
> Georges

David P. Anderson

Aug 20, 2020, 11:21:53 PM8/20/20
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_alpha email list, boinc_dev email List
I'm not seeing the problem on master / Win10.
I set the language to French, started the Manager,
and it launched the client successfully.
-- D

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "boinc_dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/ssl.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/boinc_dev/D738FE3B-A8F1-4E82-8E59-CCCB8E7FA9F7%40ssl.berkeley.edu.

Charlie Fenton

Aug 21, 2020, 8:43:32 AM8/21/20
to boinc_alpha email list
I found the problem and created PR #3983 to fix it. But I will wait a couple of days to see if any other problems are reported before building a new release with a new version number.

As it turns out, the underlying problem has been present for a very long time, but had only caused a short delay in connecting to the client when the locale (language setting) was one which expects a comma rather than a period for the decimal separator. That changed as a result of commit 745e505607 (17 May 2020.)

Cheers,
--Charlie

> On Aug 20, 2020, at 3:51 AM, Georges Vinotte <g.vi...@laposte.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> When installing BM 7.16.9 on macOS 10.13 and 10.14, BM is not able to run Boinc Client if another language than English is selected…
> (tested with French, German and Italian setting)
>
> Cheers,
> Georges

Richard Haselgrove

Aug 21, 2020, 11:40:01 AM8/21/20
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_alpha email list, boinc_dev email List
I have built v7.16.9 (properly, from the tag rather than from the branch), and can confirm that the 'delayed start when language other than English' bug is not present in the Windows build. As is only to be expected, now you've tracked it down to a Mac-specific library file. But I have the build running, and can use it to check other build features as needed.

Richard Haselgrove

Aug 21, 2020, 12:34:54 PM8/21/20
to Charlie Fenton, boinc_alpha email list, David P. Anderson
As noted previously, I have a private build at the 7.16.9 tag running under Windows.

The source tree for v7.16.9 contains the code from https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/pull/3948, both written and merged by David Anderson (contrary to release management policy).

At the same time as PR3948 was written (actually, when the broken predecessor #3826 was written), the text in the User Manual was changed. It now reads

<process_priority>N</process_priority>, <process_priority_special>N</process_priority_special>
The OS process priority at which tasks are run. Values are 1 (lowest priority, the default), 2 (below normal), 3 (normal), 4 (high) and 5 (highest). 'Special' process priority is used for coprocessor (GPU) applications, wrapper applications, and non-compute-intensive applications, 'process priority' for all others. The two options can be used independently.

Using the above instructions, and these values in cc_config,

<process_priority>1</process_priority>

<process_priority_special>2</process_priority_special>

GPU tasks should run at 'below normal' priority, and all other tasks (except those specified, that is) should run at lowest priority.

There's a note from me in PR3948, saying "Subject to verification ...". Here's the verification.

https://i.imgur.com/8jN2ZrI.png

'GetDecics_3.00' are standard BOINC CPU applications (from NumberFields@Home):

'hsgamma_FGRPB1G' are BOINC GPU applications from Einstein@Home.

Priorities 6 and 8 respectively, as shown in the Sysinternals legend, are above those now written in the BOINC User Manual.