Should we set up a wiki to help document Mongoid?

Declan McGrath

Mar 12, 2011, 10:14:35 AM3/12/11
to Ruby Ireland
Hi guys,

I've been playing a lot with mongoid lately. The main documentation
site at http://mongoid.org is great to get started. Very clean and
very practical. But I've found that there's a lot beneath the surface
which is not documented - because obviously Open Source projects tend
to have the features first and the documentation second. (Now why
can't everyone just use dexy :-)

Anyway, I've been thinking it might be a good idea to set up a wiki to
start capturing this kind of info. I think it would be of great
benefit to those of us who use mongoid, to the mongoid project itself
and is a clear definable goal so should be relatively straightforward
to do. Here's what's needed
* A wiki
* People interested in mongoid - if you are then maybe reply to this
thread to say 'Hi!'
* People interested in helping with this task - if you are then maybe
* There are three very useful sources of information
- Mongoid Googlegroup - http://groups.google.com/group/mongoid
- Stackoverflow - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/mongoid
- Your experiences

I'm well up for this as so I'd be interested in hearing who else would
be.

Regards,
Declan

José Domínguez

Mar 30, 2011, 9:39:30 AM3/30/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hey Declan,

did you get any interest in this?
I was playing a bit with mongoid a couple of months ago but have no
real experience with it (or with ruby for that matter).
Maybe if it's expanded a bit onto the DB instead of just the library
some people might be interested?

I've been messing about with Spring data (obviously not Ruby) for the
last couple of days and I wouldn't mind 'sharing my experiences'.
On the other side I don't think there will be an interest on creating
yet another interest group around Mongo. Any 'umbrella' community
where this kind of stuff can be organised? open source ireland maybe?
not sure that group is still active?

cheers,
José

Kevin Noonan

Mar 30, 2011, 5:41:40 PM3/30/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

You've hit on a problem which has occurred to me as well.

That is, the active user-groups are organised into programming
language "silos"; but there are many areas of interest which cross all
the language barriers (but may not find sufficient local interest in
just one language community).

For example, source-code control systems like Git and Mercurial; the
raft of new non-relational databases like Cassandra, SimpleDB (and
Mongo); or the Cloud-computing systems which have emerged in the last
few years.

Would there be enough interest in a broad-based "Open Source" group,
as Jose suggested?

All the best,

Kevin.

Paul Wilson

Mar 30, 2011, 5:50:10 PM3/30/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Something like techmeetup.co.uk? It's quite cross-technology and doing quite well here in Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen).

--
Paul Wilson

Declan McGrath

Mar 31, 2011, 9:13:01 AM3/31/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, José Domínguez
Hi guys,

José, there is a bit of interest around mongo generally. I think you and others that have posted here are right. So generally on the topic of technologies that have a broad appeal I have posted this on ossdev-ireland

http://groups.google.com/group/ossdev-ireland/browse_thread/thread/fa4fa81d4f4b993f

Basically, I set up a googlegroup called ossdev-ireland about a year ago - though at the time there wasn't a cross-community project like mongo that I was interested in - maybe now it the time to use it! It hasn't been very active, however, a lot of people have signed up so I'm sure there is interest. I've taken everyone's advice and published a post entitled NoSQL For Old Men on ossdev-ireland

http://groups.google.com/group/ossdev-ireland/browse_thread/thread/b7773995046ffaf7

More generally, I would like to set up a knowledge base that any user-group can contribute to at ossdev.org (I have the domain).

Would someone be interested in setting up RubyMine on Heroku (it's free! w00t!) and then we could have wiki's and other tools that we could share across the Irish Open Source development community?

Very interested to here all your thoughts!
Dec

Declan McGrath

Mar 31, 2011, 9:13:46 AM3/31/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Or even 'hear' all your thoughts :-)

José Domínguez

Mar 31, 2011, 10:24:28 AM3/31/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Declan, that's great. Didn't know about ossdev-ireland but signed up already.

Is the group related in any way to http://www.opensourceireland.org?
that was the group I was thinking of when I mentioned 'open source
Ireland' but it does not seem very active either.

cheers,
José

Declan McGrath

Mar 31, 2011, 10:42:06 AM3/31/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, José Domínguez
It's not related. But I will give the guys there a shout as they're usually in interested in all things Open Source.

Cheers,
Dec

Paul Nelligan

Apr 6, 2011, 8:19:30 AM4/6/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Declan

just curious as to why you might use Mongoid ahead of MongoMapper?

cheers

Paul

Declan McGrath

Apr 6, 2011, 10:17:27 AM4/6/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, nel...@gmail.com
My initial reasoning was that because it supported the ActiveModel interface it would be easier to be compatible with Rails 3 plugins in the future.

Also, I love the whole new way of querying with an Arel style in Rails 3 and Mongoid's criteria looked like a good way to query. From the mongoid.org website:

"All queries in Mongoid are Criteria, which is a chainable and lazily evaluated wrapper to a MongoDB dynamic query. Criteria only touch the database when they need to, for example on iteration of the results, and when executed wrap a cursor in order to keep memory management and performance predictable."

And mongoid supports devise.

Not sure of what the latest state of mongomapper is so perhaps it's picked up some of those things.

Regards,
Declan