NoSQL For Old Men...

declan

Mar 31, 2011, 9:02:10 AM3/31/11
to ossdev-ireland
No you don't need to be old or male to participate in this discussion
but one pre-requisite is at least a shred of interest in Document-
Oriented databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Couch and co!

Have you being using these ways to store data?
What problems have you run into?
What kind of gotcha's would you share with others so they can avoid
them?
Join in the discussion here and let's see where we end up!

My own pet project is to build a knowledge base around Mongoid - a
MongoDB framework for Ruby which I posted about on RubyIreland at
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby_ireland/msg/ed772c79f35d294e But
at a general level I'm just interested in keeping on top of the
progress in MongoDB itself. Especially the new 1.8 release. So I hope
to be able to do that here.

So if you have a question, an answer or maybe just a good old rant on
a technology with broad appeal then consider posting it here and let
other OSS developers know. Hope you find something here of interest
too!

Regards,
Declan

Régis David Souza Mesquita

Mar 31, 2011, 9:17:53 AM3/31/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
> Have you being using these ways to store data?
Yes , I have been using redis and mongodb in a few projects.

> What problems have you run into?

Since NoSQL still very new to me sometimes I think of a solution which I realize that'll not work only 2 hours after starting.

> What kind of gotcha's would you share with others so they can avoid
> them?

Don't try to keep the same structure or logic that you would use in a relational one , that may seem to be obvious but you'll probably do that without realizing you are doing that. if you are going to migrate from sql to nosql think your structure from scratch.

Régis Mesquita

José Domínguez

Mar 31, 2011, 10:30:07 AM3/31/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I agree on the shift needed to design your data. Denormalisation is the norm!
The little MongoDB book has a 'little' chapter about Data Modelling,
and good advice on use cases.
It's only 33 pages long and it's free:
http://openmymind.net/2011/3/28/The-Little-MongoDB-Book

cheers,
José

Régis David Souza Mesquita

Mar 31, 2011, 10:47:48 AM3/31/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Looks great, Didn't know about this book... I'm going to read it tonight.

Thanks,
Régis Mesquita.

declan

Mar 31, 2011, 2:06:50 PM3/31/11
to ossdev-ireland
That's brilliant José! Thanks!

Dec

declan

Apr 5, 2011, 9:44:21 AM4/5/11
to ossdev-ireland
Hi guys,

I've just been setting up a site to help solidly document some of the
things posted in mailing lists such as ossdev-ireland. It's at
http://ossdev.org

I'm still in the middle of setting it up but you can start posting
general mongodb knowledge at http://ossdev.org/projects/ossdev-ireland/wiki

For something specific to Ruby you could use the Ruby Ireland wiki
available under ossdev.org at http://ossdev.org/projects/rubyireland/wiki

For example, I'm going to be putting mongoid stuff at
http://ossdev.org/projects/rubyireland/wiki/Mongoid

Kind regards,
Declan

José Domínguez

Apr 5, 2011, 9:53:09 AM4/5/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff Declan!

I've seen it's open for edits... will that be a bit dangerous?
Also, shall we sign up for an account or start editing anonymously?

cheers,
José

Declan McGrath

Apr 5, 2011, 10:21:55 AM4/5/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
For now, I believe it's safe (until we have a spam problem!). There is always the history too!

Account signup is not yet supported. Start editing anonymously.

Dec

José Domínguez

Apr 5, 2011, 11:21:01 AM4/5/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
sounds good to me. Thanks for setting it up!

Is Javascript another one of these cross-community topics we can deal
with here? I'm trying to get my head around Jasmine and would be good
to know if anyone out there is using it.

cheers,
José

declan

Apr 6, 2011, 10:10:17 AM4/6/11
to ossdev-ireland
> Is Javascript another one of these cross-community topics we can deal
with here?

Absolutely! 120% !!! I think that Javascript it is probably the
biggest topic for a lot of people at the moment. It's almost deserving
of it's own user group, but then you'd have to turn up to another set
of meetups in what is already a very busy Irish Open Source calendar.

So certainly, start Javascript threads here and, if you like, add a
Javascript page under the ossdev-ireland wiki at
http://ossdev.org/projects/ossdev-ireland/wiki where we can build up
subpages and content.

Dec

On Apr 5, 4:21 pm, José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sounds good to me. Thanks for setting it up!
>
> Is Javascript another one of these cross-community topics we can deal
> with here? I'm trying to get my head around Jasmine and would be good
> to know if anyone out there is using it.
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 5 April 2011 15:21, Declan McGrath <decla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > For now, I believe it's safe (until we have a spam problem!). There is
> > always the history too!
>
> > Account signup is not yet supported. Start editing anonymously.
>
> > Dec
>
> > 2011/4/5 José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Great stuff Declan!
>
> >> I've seen it's open for edits... will that be a bit dangerous?
> >> Also, shall we sign up for an account or start editing anonymously?
>
> >> cheers,
> >> José

declan

Apr 6, 2011, 2:33:53 PM4/6/11
to ossdev-ireland
Just noticed the Javascript section of the ossdev-ireland wiki is now
in existence and looking a lot fuller. I take it that's you José.
Awesome work!

I want it so that people can be properly credited for their
contributions - so I've spent a bit of time getting the sign in
working. The main stumbling block was, and still is getting the
emailing out of user activation emails working. But in the meantime,
you can signup and I will manually activate your account. Then you
will be able to log in with a proper account.

Again, it's not compulsory but if you want to be able to track what
you've added then it makes sense.

Great work!
Dec

On Apr 5, 4:21 pm, José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sounds good to me. Thanks for setting it up!
>
> Is Javascript another one of these cross-community topics we can deal
> with here? I'm trying to get my head around Jasmine and would be good
> to know if anyone out there is using it.
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 5 April 2011 15:21, Declan McGrath <decla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > For now, I believe it's safe (until we have a spam problem!). There is
> > always the history too!
>
> > Account signup is not yet supported. Start editing anonymously.
>
> > Dec
>
> > 2011/4/5 José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Great stuff Declan!
>
> >> I've seen it's open for edits... will that be a bit dangerous?
> >> Also, shall we sign up for an account or start editing anonymously?
>
> >> cheers,
> >> José

José Domínguez

Apr 6, 2011, 4:17:31 PM4/6/11
to ossdev-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Declan, I'm not bothered with credit really but most projects I'm
or had been involved in suffer (sooner or later) from spam issues as
you mentioned before. So I think accounts will be eventually needed.
Will try signing up for one later.

thanks again for setting it all up!
José

Declan McGrath