Cost reductions vs later effects

Petri Wessman

Nov 24, 2009, 7:29:14 AM11/24/09
Ok, I'm sure there are lots of rulings on this, but my search-fu seems
to be weak at the moment. So...

How is the cost of equipment, locations, retainers and allies
calculated with regard to cards played later which "look at" the cost
of that card? Do cards "remember" cost-reducing effects?

In other words, if a player plays an equiment, location, retainer or
ally at reduced cost (due to some effect), does that reduced cost
still apply to later effects which look at the cost of a card?

Example: player has Therbold Realty in play, plays Hunting Ground
(paying 1 pool). Player has Dominique(adv), special "During your untap
phase, you may burn a location you control to gain X pool, where X is
the cost of that location.". If the player later wants to use
Dominique's ability on the Hunting Ground, does he gain 1 or 2 pool?

Is the situation different for minion cards on (or not on) a minion
with a cost-reducing special (Marie Faucigny, Black Cat, Sébastian
Goulet, etc)?

-Petri

LSJ

Nov 24, 2009, 8:04:09 AM11/24/09
Petri Wessman wrote:
> Ok, I'm sure there are lots of rulings on this, but my search-fu seems
> to be weak at the moment. So...
>
> How is the cost of equipment, locations, retainers and allies
> calculated with regard to cards played later which "look at" the cost
> of that card? Do cards "remember" cost-reducing effects?

No.

> In other words, if a player plays an equiment, location, retainer or
> ally at reduced cost (due to some effect), does that reduced cost
> still apply to later effects which look at the cost of a card?

No.

Things that reduce costs continue to do so, however.

> Example: player has Therbold Realty in play, plays Hunting Ground
> (paying 1 pool). Player has Dominique(adv), special "During your untap
> phase, you may burn a location you control to gain X pool, where X is
> the cost of that location.". If the player later wants to use
> Dominique's ability on the Hunting Ground, does he gain 1 or 2 pool?

1. But this is just a function of the player having both Therbold and the
Hunting Ground at the moment. Therbold's in-play effect is in effect, so the
cost of the Hunting Ground is less.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/84ce72854eb753cf
(Goggle: "Therbold author:LSJ")

> Is the situation different for minion cards on (or not on) a minion

> with a cost-reducing special (Marie Faucigny, Black Cat, S�bastian
> Goulet, etc)?

It's the same deal: if the cost-reducing effect is on, then the cost is reduced.

Google: "Black Cat cost author:LSJ", etc.

Petri Wessman

Nov 24, 2009, 8:23:08 AM11/24/09
Ok, thanks. So each cost is evaluated on the spot, according to
whatever the current cost (for that minion, if needs be) would be.

How about cost-reducers that don't automatically apply to everything,
but are instead optional ("tap to reduce cost", "once per turn" or
some such). For example, Powerbase: Tshwane?

If you have Powerbase: Tshwane in play, are all of your pool-costing
locations etc assumed to have been paid with that lowered cost? Or
none of them?

In my earlier example, if you replace Therbold with Powerbase:Tshwane,
would Dominique now gain 2 pool, even if the Hunting Ground had been
bought with the aid of Tshwane (for 1 pool)?

As an additional clarification: cost-reducing transient cards (action
cards etc) don't figure in later cost in any way, right? For example,
a True Brujah equips with an Assault Rifle using Kiss of Lachesis,
paying 2 pool. If no other cost-reducing effects are in play, that
Assault Rifle is still considered to have a cost of 5 for other card
effects (Peace Treaty, etc), right?

-Petri

LSJ

Nov 24, 2009, 9:24:40 AM11/24/09
Petri Wessman wrote:
> Ok, thanks. So each cost is evaluated on the spot, according to
> whatever the current cost (for that minion, if needs be) would be.

Not exactly. The cost is what it is from the effects that are currently in
effect on it. No wondering about "would be".

> How about cost-reducers that don't automatically apply to everything,
> but are instead optional ("tap to reduce cost", "once per turn" or
> some such). For example, Powerbase: Tshwane?

No. They're not in effect, so there's no effect operating on the cost.

> If you have Powerbase: Tshwane in play, are all of your pool-costing
> locations etc assumed to have been paid with that lowered cost? Or
> none of them?

None.

> In my earlier example, if you replace Therbold with Powerbase:Tshwane,
> would Dominique now gain 2 pool, even if the Hunting Ground had been
> bought with the aid of Tshwane (for 1 pool)?

Correct, as per the response to that earlier example.

> As an additional clarification: cost-reducing transient cards (action
> cards etc) don't figure in later cost in any way, right? For example,
> a True Brujah equips with an Assault Rifle using Kiss of Lachesis,
> paying 2 pool. If no other cost-reducing effects are in play, that
> Assault Rifle is still considered to have a cost of 5 for other card
> effects (Peace Treaty, etc), right?

Correct.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/8026682d65b42c71