e-book reader

Saber S.

Sep 29, 2010, 3:21:16 PM9/29/10
to Persian Computing
There are lots of brands and models of ebook readers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers)
I'm wondering which one is best to read Persian texts?
Although, I want an e-book reader to read English texts, but of course supporting Persian and Arabic is the next main feature I'm looking for.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Saber

David Yonge-Mallo

Sep 30, 2010, 11:55:31 AM9/30/10
to Saber S., Persian Computing
I can report that the Kindle DX does not support Persian (at least out of the box).  There's no font, bidi, nor glyph-shaping.

--
David Yonge-Mallo
Software Engineer - Google Waterloo

Saber S.

Sep 30, 2010, 1:50:32 PM9/30/10
to David Yonge-Mallo, Persian Computing
You mean it can't even display Persian PDF files?

Roozbeh Pournader

Oct 8, 2010, 5:45:44 PM10/8/10
to David Yonge-Mallo, Saber S., Persian Computing
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM, David Yonge-Mallo <dav...@chromium.org> wrote:
> I can report that the Kindle DX does not support Persian (at least out of
> the box). There's no font, bidi, nor glyph-shaping.

I was shown nicely-rendered Arabic script text on a Kindle quite a
while ago by Addison Philips, an internationalization engineer working
at Amazon. It may have been a developer version, of course.

Roozbeh

PS: Kindle is infected with DRM among other problems
(http://boingboing.net/2007/11/20/amazon-kindle-the-we.html), so it's
not a good idea to buy it even if it supports Persian. Me being a huge
Amazon fan, still can't even think of getting my hand on one. It
promises books, but delivers some air with handcuffs attached.

Behdad Esfahbod

Oct 8, 2010, 5:56:09 PM10/8/10
to Roozbeh Pournader, David Yonge-Mallo, Saber S., Persian Computing
On 10/08/10 17:45, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> I was shown nicely-rendered Arabic script text on a Kindle quite a
> while ago by Addison Philips, an internationalization engineer working
> at Amazon. It may have been a developer version, of course.

I believe that's the case.

behdad

Saeed Darya

Oct 8, 2010, 7:32:20 PM10/8/10
to Behdad Esfahbod, Roozbeh Pournader, David Yonge-Mallo, Saber S., Persian Computing
I just sent a persian pdf file to my kindle (the new version3) and it worked.

-Saeed

--
"The best way to predict the future is to create it."

Behdad Esfahbod

Oct 8, 2010, 7:55:45 PM10/8/10
to Saeed Darya, Roozbeh Pournader, David Yonge-Mallo, Saber S., Persian Computing
On 10/08/10 19:32, Saeed Darya wrote:
> I just sent a persian pdf file to my kindle (the new version3) and it
> worked.

PDF files do not need special support for complex text rendering. Rendering
book metadata and other text on the Kindle does.

behdad

Null

Nov 4, 2010, 1:23:41 AM11/4/10
to Persian Computing
Sony PRS-500 (First international model which is released in 2006)
display Persian PDFs without any problem.

Saber S.

Jan 4, 2011, 1:45:48 AM1/4/11
to Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
I got my Kindle, It is has no problem displaying PDF files as expected, but PDF files both in English and Persian are hard to read, the Zoom tool is not well enough.
Amazon has a converting solution to convert PDF files to AZW (default format of kindle e-books), you can email your document to username @ kindle.com and write 'convert' in subject field.
It works for English PDFs, but Persian PDFs are rendering as non-readable fonts like squares.
Waiting for firmware updates!

Connie Bobroff

Jan 4, 2011, 2:26:22 PM1/4/11
to Saber S., Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
I have a basic question. Are Kindle and other e-book projects going ahead with Persian even though the OCR technology is not yet good enough to allow searching? We have discussed the lack of Persian titles in Google Books but I'm just not sure if this is due to copyright considerations or an OCR issue. Of course, even without the ability to search, availability of a digital text (leaving as PDF and not converting to AZW or something else)  is of great benefit.

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 5, 2011, 6:49:25 PM1/5/11
to Connie Bobroff, Saber S., Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Connie,

These two issues are not very related. While OCR for Persian is still
quite limited, that should not limit the adoption of Persian e-books
and Persian-enabled e-book readers. What usually happens with
electronic books is that the publisher usually provides a digital
version of the text with some layout and font information. There is no
need for any pages to be OCR-ed to create an electronic book.

Or, you are talking about something else totally and I fail to
understand your point.

Roozbeh

Connie Bobroff

Jan 5, 2011, 7:56:51 PM1/5/11
to Roozbeh Pournader, Saber S., Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Roozbeh,
I have been sitting here in the library turning page after page of print books, day after day, looking for instances of ONE WORD. Although I rather enjoy it, all this could be accomplished in one split second if this were English. Even if someone scans the books, the Persian PDF (or other digital format) will not have search capability. I thought perhaps the makers of e-books would hestitate to deal with a language which does not have searchable text. Is OCR not the key to searchable text. Is that not the major hurdle?

John Hudson

Jan 5, 2011, 9:00:17 PM1/5/11
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
I am consulting with a publisher on the production of a number of
scholarly editions of classical Indian texts, mostly in Indian scripts
but with a couple of titles in Persian and Urdu. Originally, both the
Persian and Urdu texts would have been written in nastaliq style, and
that is still the clearly preferred style for Urdu. The publishers are
considering what script style to use for the Persian text. I favour
nastaliq for this too, since it is a Persian style and is particularly
appropriate to texts of Mughal Indian origin. The editors, however,
prefer naskh for the Persian on the grounds that this is more common for
Persian typography today, and perhaps think it will be easier for modern
readers. I am intrigued to know what contributors to this list think on
this topic.

JH

--

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC ti...@tiro.com

A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the
light of a story. -- Paul Elie

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 5, 2011, 10:53:24 PM1/5/11
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Connie Bobroff <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been sitting here in the library turning page after page of print
> books, day after day, looking for instances of ONE WORD.

Believe me, I have also done the same for quite a few things. A funny
one I remember: searching for an example for an isolated form of
Yeh-Hamza in a Persian word (final Yeh-Hamza is there, although rare.
Most famous example is متلألئ). I don't remember if I found any.

What usually happens is, of course, running into some interesting text
on Taghizadeh, or calendars, or Khaarazmi, or Roshdiyye, or something.
And that's the reason I have avoided libraries like crazy. As we say
in Persian, «تو رفتنش با خودمه، ولی بیرون اومدنش با خداس».

> Although I rather
> enjoy it, all this could be accomplished in one split second if this were
> English. Even if someone scans the books, the Persian PDF (or other digital
> format) will not have search capability.

Agreed. We really need good Persian OCR.

> I thought perhaps the makers of
> e-books would hestitate to deal with a language which does not have
> searchable text.

Totally unrelated, IMHO. If there is a market for Persian e-books,
they will do it. Or if Persian support comes for free or very very
cheap (like from supporting Arabic or Urdu), they will do it. Their
e-books will have searchable texts if they are created from digital
sources and not from scanned pages.

> Is OCR not the key to searchable text. Is that not the major hurdle?

Good OCR is needed for digitizing books published before computers (or
when you don't have access to the source files). Other than that, OCR
doesn't play any part in ebooks.

Roozbeh

Peter Hauer

Jan 5, 2011, 11:46:33 PM1/5/11
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Connie and Roozbeh,

Amazon Kindle's new "standard" Topaz format (.AZW) combines the possibility of using "fancy" (including non-Latin) fonts and background OCR (sometimes of rather mediocre quality) for searching:

Besides improved DRM protection, the idea of this format is certainly to use its hi-compression graphics capability also for non-English publications. On amazon.com, I found already a few dictionaries and language books for Persian & Arabic in Kindle format:

Don't ask me, however, if or how they solved the OCR problem...

Peter

Jan 6, 2011, 1:08:20 AM1/6/11
to John Hudson, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Of course Nastaliq is the most beautiful persian style, but that's in
the cost of complexity! That's because we have not even a full and
bug-less Nastaliq font! The best Nastaliq font I have seen is
IranNastaliq that is about 1 megabytes (because of that complexity),
and even that font have many problems in some cases. Unless there are
few Nastaliq Writer Programs (something like an Office or a Vector
Drawing Software) that have proficiency for writing TRUE Nastaliq. But
anyway Nastaliq is like an ART and not much good for common books.
Thats because almost non of persian books use Nastaliq for their
context, just only may use Nastaliq for their Chapter Titles (as I
know and seen) and other Art-like parts (for example book cover).
There are a couple of fonts that are common for book contents, and
designed to be more readable (or a balance between readability and
beauty). For example Terafik , Koodak and Nazli fonts (from Farsiweb),
FreeFarsi font (from FPF peoject), XB Zar (from IRMUG fonts) and
Nazanin (from Borna fonts)...
My favor font for persian contents (for example web pages) is Terafik.

Nasser Hajloo

Jan 6, 2011, 3:24:47 AM1/6/11
to Persian Computing
Using Nastaliq fonts for a book is just like using Lucida Handwriting
font for a book. For sure it's not a good approach to do. You have to
use a simple and easy to read font for this.

I Believe that Farsiweb (Nazli, Terafik, Roya, ...) fonts are just
good enough when you are writing in Persian, in case the creator did
not implement English glyphs on it. So that if you are using something
like SSRS 2008 or other similar tools, those kinds of application
cannot switch font and you will face with serious issues.

IrMug (XB, XM, ..) fonts are better in case of Persian/English issue
but they are not well implemented. for example in XB Traffic you can
see a wrong glyph for - ه - it is not similar to other traffic
glyph.

Dejavu and the rest of Persian fonts have other issues that are not a
good choice to use. For example they are not implemented based on
Unicode ).

By all this, I recommend to use one of the Farsiweb (ROYA, Terafik,
Nazli) or Irmug (XB Nazanin, XB Zar, XB Traffic) or Borna (B
Nazanin // it is not Unicode). I believe that Roya is the in case of
shape and B.B.C Farsi use it for subtitles.

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 6, 2011, 1:23:04 PM1/6/11
to Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing
On 01/06/11 03:24, Nasser Hajloo wrote:
> Dejavu and the rest of Persian fonts have other issues that are not a
> good choice to use. For example they are not implemented based on
> Unicode ).

What do you mean?

behdad

Connie Bobroff

Jan 6, 2011, 3:11:24 PM1/6/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing
John,
If it is a [printed-on-paper] scholarly edition, the text should be matched in the closest possible font style. Why intentionally compromise the quality by using an inappropriate font style when the technology exists to use a proper font? If it were an email or blog entry, that would be one thing but not for a scholarly work (of the calibre I'm guessing you'd be involved in.)
I have not noticed Persian native speakers having any trouble reading typed nasta`liq. Just look at how fast film credits typed in fancy nasta`liq scroll by so fast. (I am the only one rushing to hit the pause button!) Yes, they get uncomfortable seeing Urdu-style nasta`liq (quite different from Iranian-style nasta`liq) used for modern Persian but if the text itself is Indo-Persian, then it should be kept in that style. Many classical Persian texts were first typed in Calcutta and other places and the particularities of the font, printing, paper, etc are part of the reading experience. I should think it would cause more discomfort to read the text in an inappropriate naskh than in nasta`liq however, if ease of reading is truly the main consideration, please put it in something obviously functional (like Tahoma!) so the reader is fully aware that this is the situtation.
I hope we can get some more opinions and discussion on this issue of typed nasta`liq being hard to read for native speakers.

-Connie

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 6, 2011, 3:27:23 PM1/6/11
to Connie Bobroff, Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing
(Quick note, so forgive the unintended tone please.)

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Connie Bobroff <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it is a [printed-on-paper] scholarly edition, the text should be
> matched in the closest possible font style.

I highly disagree. But it's a long story.

> Why intentionally compromise the
> quality by using an inappropriate font style when the technology exists to
> use a proper font?

If by proper, you mean Nastaliq, I don't think the technology really exists.

> I have not noticed Persian native speakers having any trouble reading typed
> nasta`liq.

I personally do.

> Just look at how fast film credits typed in fancy
> nasta`liq scroll by so fast. (I am the only one rushing to hit the pause
> button!)

There's a difference with familiar names one doesn't usually care
about, and words that one may have not seen before. The former is OK
in Nastaliq, the later is not.

> I should think it would cause more discomfort to read
> the text in an inappropriate naskh than in nasta`liq however,

Agreed. A famous test is avoiding Naskh fonts whose double dots (like
over Teh and under initial-medial Yeh) are not horizontally aligned
for Persian.

> if ease of
> reading is truly the main consideration, please put it in something
> obviously functional (like Tahoma!) so the reader is fully aware that this
> is the situtation.

Tahoma is obviously dysfunctional for Persian, very far from obviously
functional. It works for computer UI, and even barely for that.

If ease of reading is the main consideration, consider fonts like
Nazanin/Nazli, Roya, or Koodak.

> I hope we can get some more opinions and discussion on this issue of typed
> nasta`liq being hard to read for native speakers.

Personal experience: Nastaliq is much slower for me to read, and I
sometimes have trouble reading or distinguishing rarer words,
especially in classical texts. Computer-generated Nastaliq is
especially harder to read for me, as there is also a level of ugliness
inserted that my with-some-editorial-experience eyes can't avoid
noticing, making the experience noticably worse.

Roozbeh

Connie Bobroff

Jan 6, 2011, 3:39:28 PM1/6/11
to Roozbeh Pournader, Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing
Roozbeh! A lifetime of reading Linux manuals in English has caused you to not be comfortable with nasta`liq :) :) Taghizadeh (of whom you appear to be a fan) would be very sad to hear you suggesting that Persian be simplified rather than you learn the lost art of reading. Please note that this is a printed, scholarly edition, too.
As for whether or not the technology is there, let's see if Tom Milo will step in with an update.

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 6, 2011, 3:49:53 PM1/6/11
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Connie Bobroff <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roozbeh! A lifetime of reading Linux manuals in English has caused you to
> not be comfortable with nasta`liq :) :)

If only I RTFMed...

> Taghizadeh (of whom you appear to be
> a fan) would be very sad to hear you suggesting that Persian be simplified
> rather than you learn the lost art of reading.

Isn't he the guy who said "باید از فرق سر تا ناخن پا فرنگی شویم"? ;)

> Please note that this is a printed, scholarly edition, too.

Exactly for that reason, it should be readable.

> As for whether or not the technology is there, let's see if Tom Milo will
> step in with an update.

I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
good enough to publish fancy books in. But this is moot anyway.
Scholarly editions should not be typeset in Nastaliq.

Roozbeh

Mohsen Emadi

Jan 6, 2011, 3:49:06 PM1/6/11
to Connie Bobroff, Roozbeh Pournader, Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing
Connie, I personally agree with Roozbeh. Nastaliq as a style belongs to an aesthetic category that belongs to Neo-Platonistic thinking of the time, it is beautiful but it has not been developed to ease the process of reading. Nastaliq even has not been created for print or any mechanical publication. I do prefer Nazli, Roya, Nazanin for print/digital works. I am ready to discuss about the aesthetic of the Nastaliq and the distances of the philosophy of such a style with digital and even print publication.

--
Meanwhile everything, everything here
is a miracle only once:

Connie Bobroff

Jan 6, 2011, 4:28:54 PM1/6/11
to Roozbeh Pournader, Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing

Isn't he the guy who said "باید از فرق سر تا ناخن پا فرنگی شویم"? ;)
Roozbeh, that is completely unfair and out of context but since you jump on the band-wagon quoting this infamous line like everyone else, you leave me no choice. Can we not argue that he might mean here, IMPROVE the font technoogy and teach the scholars who are reading these scholarly texts how to read? I cannot imagine Taghizadeh suggesting and text or reader settling for the low-hanging-fruit solution.

> Please note that this is a printed, scholarly edition, too.

Exactly for that reason, it should be readable.

I like Mohsen's point about aesthetics and digitization being somewhat at odds with the philosophical underpinings of the classical Persian text. It should be noted unreadability was often a feature not a bug! These texts were sometimes SUPPOSED to be beautiful but  hard to read (if not unreadable.) This is especially the case with Indo-Persian texts.

> As for whether or not the technology is there, let's see if Tom Milo will
> step in with an update.

I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
good enough to publish fancy books in.

Tom?

But this is moot anyway.
Scholarly editions should not be typeset in Nastaliq.
Then what is the point of producing the scholarly edition? Well, I will borrow Saber's Kindle and read the digital version of this book one day. Hopefully it will let us change the font to the most comfortable one for the strenuous parts.

-Connie

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 6, 2011, 4:38:36 PM1/6/11
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Connie Bobroff <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't he the guy who said "باید از فرق سر تا ناخن پا فرنگی شویم"? ;)
>
> Roozbeh, that is completely unfair and out of context but since you jump on
> the band-wagon quoting this infamous line like everyone else, you leave me
> no choice. Can we not argue that he might mean here, IMPROVE the font
> technoogy and teach the scholars who are reading these scholarly texts how
> to read? I cannot imagine Taghizadeh suggesting and text or reader
> settling for the low-hanging-fruit solution.

Please note that I'm a fan of his, have read a bit about the quote,
and this was a joke.

>> > As for whether or not the technology is there, let's see if Tom Milo
>> > will
>> > step in with an update.
>>
>> I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
>> computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
>> good enough to publish fancy books in.
>
> Tom?

"Tom Milo"?

Roozbeh

Connie Bobroff

Jan 6, 2011, 4:45:40 PM1/6/11
to Roozbeh Pournader, Behdad Esfahbod, Nasser Hajloo, Persian Computing

Please note that I'm a fan of his, have read a bit about the quote,
and this was a joke.
Have you see this wonderful page someone put together as an archive?
I have often thought that this very list is the closest we have today of the Kaveh office in Berlin where these sort of discussions about Persian can take place. Of course, we will never have another Taghizadeh, Qazvini, Jamalzadeh....

>> I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
>> computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
>> good enough to publish fancy books in.
>
> Tom?

"Tom Milo"?
Exactly. I was just calling out to him (he's a member of this group) hoping he would make mincemeat of you! :) Let's see if Tom responds.

John Hudson

Jan 7, 2011, 2:17:07 PM1/7/11
Saeed Rasooli wrote:

> Of course Nastaliq is the most beautiful persian style, but that's in
> the cost of complexity! That's because we have not even a full and
> bug-less Nastaliq font!

In this instance, we would be using the Tasmeem plug-in for InDesign ME
to typeset the Persian and Urdu text, so would be using Decotype's
award-winning nastaliq:

http://www.winsoft-international.com/en/products/Tasmeem-fonts-Nastaliq.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460Qs_c_Ggs

This is confirmed for the Urdu.

It looks like we'll probably use Decotype's Naskh for the Persian.

Connie Bobroff

Jan 7, 2011, 3:10:04 PM1/7/11
to Thomas Milo, Sam Anvari, Persian Computing
Thanks, Tom. (I'm cc'ing you to the list here.) It is indeed a bizaare discussion. I am both filled with anguish that John's publisher has apparently decided to go with the easy-to-read option (naskh) and also amazed that the preservation/nurturing of nasta`liq is apparently not important to the people working on Persian. Very surreal.

-Connie

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Thomas Milo <tm...@decotype.com> wrote:
Hi Connie,

Great to hear from you! Happy new year.

What a bizarre discussion. I am sure you agree this reverses the argument. There are no books in nastaliq because the technology is failing. Every Iranian knows nastaliq - every student of Persian should. Even a Persian classmate of my daughter (half Dutch, now 24), learned nastaliq in Iran after completing her education in Holland.

Allow me to introduce Sam Anwari, who is also following these developments with great interest. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in the West about the place of script and about the matter of so-called complexity. I suspect that the editors themselves have difficulty reading nastaliq, but project their ignorance on the target audience.

The argument of the missing proper font is of course nonsense. There is IranNastaliq, there are various Urdu nastaliq fonts and there is our DecoType Nastaliq for InDesign. Our own is complete and bug free, it's also very small and covers the Arabic block in Unicode (07xx supplement is not yet ready).

With warm regards,

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

On 7 Jan 2011, at 20:02, Connie Bobroff wrote:

Tom,
Hi, how are you?
Can you please participate in this discussion?
scroll 1/3 down to the question by John Hudson which has prompted everyone to suggest his publisher (i.e., book, not digital/internet) go for naskh instead of nasta`liq because nasta`liq is 1) hard to read and 2) there is no proper nasta`liq font yet. (It is not clear if the nasta`liq was to be Iran style or Indo style although that does not seem important in this discussion.)
It will be a shame if John's publisher goes with naskh unnecessarily.

Thank you.
-Connie

Connie, Tom Milo is a no-email member, so he can post directly, but he
does not get any email.  CC him if you think he should get involved.

-b

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Connie Bobroff <con...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Please note that I'm a fan of his, have read a bit about the quote,
>> and this was a joke.
>
> Have you see this wonderful page someone put together as an archive?
> http://behshad.malakut.org/archives/2006_09.html
> I have often thought that this very list is the closest we have today of the
> Kaveh office in Berlin where these sort of discussions about Persian can
> take place. Of course, we will never have another Taghizadeh, Qazvini,
> Jamalzadeh....

>> > Tom?
>>
>> "Tom Milo"?
>
> Exactly. I was just calling out to him (he's a member of this group) hoping
> he would make mincemeat of you! :) Let's see if Tom responds.

--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد
    '     Behnam Esfahbod

Thomas Milo

Jan 7, 2011, 4:13:59 PM1/7/11
to Persian Computing
All efforts to develop and improve script technology to take it to the
level that we take for granted for Latin, depend on positive reception
and encouragement from the user community. Therefore I do hope
nastaliq will be given a fair chance to be used for what it was
designed: scholarly and literary publications as well as poetry.

In case you're interested, here are some recent examples:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=45369&id=1806851628&l=fd35445fcb
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1357350112931&set=a.1357346912851.45369.1806851628
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1384167223342&set=a.1357346912851.45369.1806851628

and
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48367&id=1806851628&l=decdd61832

With best wishes for both the new year and the now rooz

Tom Milo

Thomas Milo

Jan 7, 2011, 4:18:16 PM1/7/11
to Persian Computing

Thomas Milo

Jan 7, 2011, 4:51:36 PM1/7/11
to Persian Computing
Sorry for the double posting - I got a bit impatient.

For those interested in the versatily of Nastaliq, please take a look
at this footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460Qs_c_Ggs

BTW, the next version of our Nastaliq will have keshideh in a regular
Unicode environment. To get an idea what that would entail, consider
this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZipEwMFl3hA

Roozbeh Pournader

Jan 7, 2011, 6:27:10 PM1/7/11
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM, John Hudson <jo...@tiro.ca> wrote:
> It looks like we'll probably use Decotype's Naskh for the Persian.

Better than Nastaliq, but DecoType Naskh is still too fancy for
Persian, I believe. I would go for a more modern Naskh.

Roozbeh

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 7, 2011, 6:51:30 PM1/7/11
to Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Sam Anvari, Persian Computing
Connie, what you are suggesting is like suggesting that, say, German text
should be published in Fraktur.

behdad

> tm...@decotype.com <mailto:tm...@decotype.com>
> www.decotype.com <http://www.decotype.com/>

> iPhone +31-6-4188-0859
> Mobile +31-6-2450-3943
> Office +31-20-662-5172
> Skypet.milo
>
> On 7 Jan 2011, at 20:02, Connie Bobroff wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>> Hi, how are you?
>> Can you please participate in this discussion?

>> _http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing/browse_thread/thread/a6b15aefae90b611_<https://29letters.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/uae-embassy-corporate-type/>

>> * .. http://behnam.esfahbod.info <http://behnam.esfahbod.info/>
>> * ` * http://zwnj.org <http://zwnj.org/>

>> * o * 3E7F B4B6 6F4C A8AB 9BB9 7520 5701 CA40 259E 0F8B
>>

> --
> http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing

John Hudson

Jan 7, 2011, 7:52:13 PM1/7/11
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

Naskh is naskh (which is to say that most 'modern naskh' fonts are not,
in fact, naskh; when I'm feeling generous, I call them 'neo-naskh'; when
I'm not feeling generous I call them a lot of rude words, and that goes
even for fonts that I have made). Naskh is a script style composed of a
set of forms and a grammar governing the varieties of ways in which
those forms are used. The virtue of Decotype Naskh is that it implements
that grammar, which means that it *can* be fancy, but it can also be
quite plain, depending on the choices that are made within what the
grammar permits.

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 7, 2011, 7:56:21 PM1/7/11
On 01/07/11 19:52, John Hudson wrote:
> Naskh is naskh (which is to say that most 'modern naskh' fonts are not, in
> fact, naskh; when I'm feeling generous, I call them 'neo-naskh'; when I'm not
> feeling generous I call them a lot of rude words, and that goes even for fonts
> that I have made). Naskh is a script style composed of a set of forms and a
> grammar governing the varieties of ways in which those forms are used. The
> virtue of Decotype Naskh is that it implements that grammar, which means that
> it *can* be fancy, but it can also be quite plain, depending on the choices
> that are made within what the grammar permits.

Lets differentiate between Arabic Naskh and Persian Naskh then. Persian Naskh
is a lot simpler than Arabic Naskh.

behdad

Connie Bobroff

Jan 7, 2011, 8:05:41 PM1/7/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, John Hudson, persian-...@googlegroups.com
In reproducing a scholarly text, it is not just the font or the style, it's all the details of the formatting and conventions of the day. I have learned from this discussion that for scholarly editions, this is the only way to go:
http://sartre2.byu.edu/persian/texts/zhaapon1.html
Scan of original AND functional html line-by-line.
Behdad, don't compare German with Persian. Even Americans have lost the ability to read and write cursive English handwriting but we don't care about English the way Iranians care about Persian.

Connie Bobroff

Jan 7, 2011, 8:32:14 PM1/7/11
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Roozbeh Pournader <roo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good OCR is needed for digitizing books published before computers (or
when you don't have access to the source files). Other than that, OCR
doesn't play any part in ebooks.

Roozbeh, yes, that is what I mean, "old" books published before computers. I wasn't even considering works printed in the last decade actually! The older items might actually be the ones with fewer copyright issues but still, I'm not sure if the OCR hurdle is what is keeping these gems offline.
I know of at least one project to scan and digitize entire US library collections,
http://www.hathitrust.org/
they will only make a copyrighted item accessible to IP addresses/users with password if the users would normally be able to use the paper item in that library. I believe international copyright is 75 years and of course--from what I hear--they have no idea what to do with Iran items. Normally, authors can give permission to release part or all of a a work after n years since publication after commercial value dwindles. I believe it is some official policy to respect Iranian works whether or not Iran has signed the copyright treaty or not.
I wonder if there would be a way to let individual authors and publishers in Iran have a choice as to how accessible their books should be? Is anyone working towards this?

John Hudson

Jan 7, 2011, 9:09:15 PM1/7/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Sam Anvari, Persian Computing
Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Connie, what you are suggesting is like suggesting that, say, German text
> should be published in Fraktur.

This sort of comparison is not helpful. The use of fraktur -- the norm
for German text for many hundreds of years -- is complicated by
Germany's 20th Century political history. Unless you are implying that
nastaliq has political associations (real or imagined) that have
resulted in its broad cultural abandonment, it is best not to try to
make such cross-cultural comparisons, but rather to try to describe as
accurately as possible the particular role of nastaliq in contemporary
Persian culture (including the influence of technology and its limitations).

John Hudson

Jan 7, 2011, 10:18:06 PM1/7/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Lets differentiate between Arabic Naskh and Persian Naskh then. Persian Naskh
> is a lot simpler than Arabic Naskh.

Presuming that 'Persian Naskh' represents a preferential subset of
options within the overall grammar of the naskh style, defining an
appropriate Tasmeem preset should be very easy. Of course, this requires
someone to systematically document this preferential subset, i.e. to
describe the characteristics of this use of naskh.

John Hudson

Jan 7, 2011, 10:22:56 PM1/7/11
to Connie Bobroff, Behdad Esfahbod, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Connie wrote:

> In reproducing a scholarly text, it is not just the font or the style,
> it's all the details of the formatting and conventions of the day. I
> have learned from this discussion that for scholarly editions, this is
> the only way to go:
> http://sartre2.byu.edu/persian/texts/zhaapon1.html
> Scan of original AND functional html line-by-line.

This depends very much on the nature of the scholarship in question. A
scholarly edition of e.g. Shakespeare's plays does not require a scan on
the First Folio, because the physical characteristics of that edition
are not generally of importance to the textual criticism and comparison
of texts of other early editions. When scholarship deals with a
particular, sometimes unique, manuscript source, then a facsimile of
some kind may be crucial.

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 10:34:43 AM1/8/11
to Persian Computing
This is getting ridiculous.

> >> I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
> >> computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
> >> good enough to publish fancy books in.

Nastaliq is not fancy enough - Naskh is too fancy. So what exactly do
you fancy?

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 10:51:17 AM1/8/11
to Persian Computing
Hi Behdad,

There is no script grammatical difference between Persian Naskh and
Arabic (i.e. Ottoman) Naskh. I have good examples of Persian Naskh in
my library. The differences are stylistic (details of curves and
length of ascenders)
You are probably referring to recent simplified script - which is
identical in structure and equally simple whether it serves Arabic or
Persian. Again the difference is only stylistic.

Best regards,

Tom

Thomas Milo

Connie Bobroff

Jan 8, 2011, 12:44:29 PM1/8/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
One thing that would be helpful is if we could finally learn about the history of the Persian naskh fonts that we have all become so accustomed to, we think they are the TRUE Persian style. I'm talking about Nazanin, Roya, etc. Linotype was commusioned by Kayhan newspaper to make these fonts in the 1970s. Fiona Ross had told me--before she got tired of anwering my emails--- the person who actually designed the fonts was Tim Holloway
but would not provide any more details. Linotype has produced a small amount of historical documentation and pictures but nothing detailed. Since these fonts have had such an impact on shaping everyone's conception of what Persian naskh is, Fiona and Tim really need to speak up. All those fonts have a certain look and a certain "grammar" as Tom calls it. How did they arrive at that style which was quite different (less "fancy")  than previous fonts? I understand that all this is probably a company secret but really, it is their duty to speak up so we don't lose this history. If it turns out that it was not actually Tim Holloway (or someone else at Linotype) who designed them but rather some anonymous Iranian, that is fine, just please let us learn the history.
-Connie

John Hudson

Jan 8, 2011, 1:42:42 PM1/8/11
to Persian Computing
Connie wrote:

> How did [Linotype] arrive at that style which was quite different

> (less "fancy") than previous fonts? I understand that all this is
> probably a company secret but really, it is their duty to speak up so we
> don't lose this history. If it turns out that it was not actually Tim
> Holloway (or someone else at Linotype) who designed them but rather some
> anonymous Iranian, that is fine, just please let us learn the history.

The Linotype non-Latin archive is now housed at the department of
Typography at the University of Reading in the UK. It is quite well
organised now, but not exhaustively catalogued.

Tim Holloway designed the Karim type -- still my favourite of the
Linotype 'neo-naskh' types --, and the Qalmi nastaliq, as well as types
for Indic scripts. Nazanin was designed by a Mr Haghighi, about whom I
have no other information.

The influence of technical limitations on the development of fonts for
mechanical, photo and even early digital typesetting systems should not
be underestimated. The most obvious example is the development of the
so-called Simplified Arabic style as epitomised by Yakout, which was a
direct result of the limits of newspaper setting machines.

Connie Bobroff

Jan 8, 2011, 2:02:47 PM1/8/11
to John Hudson, Persian Computing
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM, John Hudson <jo...@tiro.ca> wrote:

Connie wrote:

The Linotype non-Latin archive is now housed at the department of Typography at the University of Reading in the UK. It is quite well organised now, but not exhaustively catalogued.
Do they have letters and diaries and narratives of the history or just font sketeches and so forth?

Tim Holloway designed the Karim type -- still my favourite of the Linotype 'neo-naskh' types --, and the Qalmi nastaliq, as well as types for Indic scripts. Nazanin was designed by a Mr Haghighi, about whom I have no other information.
Ah yes. You are right. Mr. Haghighi's name has suddenly appeared all over the Linotype website. Honestly, it was not there earlier in the credits. Earlier, it was only said that "Nazanin" was the name of someone's granddaughter and we had all assumed it was someone in the Kayhan family. She must be Mr. Haghighi's granddaughter. Thank you, John. Now we just need to find out who this mystery Mr. Haghighi is. Anyone have any clues?

The influence of technical limitations on the development of fonts for mechanical, photo and even early digital typesetting systems should not be underestimated. The most obvious example is the development of the so-called Simplified Arabic style as epitomised by Yakout, which was a direct result of the limits of newspaper setting machines.

Unfortunately, it has taken too long for the technology to develop and so we have become too comfortable with the technically limited style even though now the technology is in place to restore the original as it should be.

But there is more to this. I work with native speakers of Persian all day. None of them has any trouble reading nasta`liq at a fast pace without any discomfort. I am truly puzzled at the responses to your original question. I hope your publisher will make a scan of the original in PDF available on a website for download to compensate for the recent decision about using naskh. I'm sure most scholars would appreciate that.

-Connie

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 3:40:12 PM1/8/11
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Hi Connie,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have some supplemental information.

1. Re. Script grammar:
I have not yet finished a complete script grammar, but it concerns a concept that never has been observed nor described by western orientalist scholars nor type makers (these think of Arabic script as "very nice", "calligraphic", "ornamental" or "full of fancy ligatures" without contemplating what the rationale behind these supposed ligatures is). In any case scripts like nastaliq, ruq`ah and real naskh are governed by such "grammar", and so do the successful Middle Eastern fonts. (I have written about it in two published articles, though)

2. Re. Western designs for Arabic:
A characteristic feature of Western font designs for Arabic is therefore the absence of grammar. What remains is a random picking of semi-understood  grammatical fragments to "embellish" the design in the form of so-called ligatures. A distant comparison would be some foreigner trying to speak German with random use and omission of case endings to "embellish" his usage to make it sound more German - without understanding why and when to use  case ending. The Linotype designs for Arabic fall in this category.

3. Re. the origin of the "typical Persian naskh style":
I have in my library the Persian-Russian dictionary (М.А. Фаффаров, Персидский-Русский Словарь в двух томах) by Mirza Abdullah Gaffarov (ميرزا عبد الله بن عبد الغفار تبريزي М.А.Гаффаров) in two volumes, volume I printed in 1914, volume II 1928. The typography - Cyrillic and Arabic - differs between the two volumes, on top of the radical change in Russian orthography caused by the 1917 revolution. But it clearly sports the so-called "typical Persian naskh"  - but only when bold is used. The regular typeface shows a distant relationship with Middle Eastern naskh as first developed by the Hungarian Ibrahim Müteferrika and perfectioned by the Armenian Ohanis Mühendisoğlu - but typically stripped of all script grammar.

The clue is therefore in the Arabic bold typeface. All entries of the first volume until halfway the second volume are set in bold, making the inline text a case of "regular". The project was clearly disrupted by the Communist revolution, as the typography changes on page 527 of volume II (pp. 433-968). In fact the pages 527-528 are present in both typographies, providing a contrast of Arabic and Cyrillic typefaces as well as Russian spelling. I am not aware of any earlier use of the bold-regular contrast in Arabic typesetting, but I admit I never researched it. In any case, contemporary ME prints use Ruqah where bold would be expected today.

The observation I would like to bring to our attention is that the design of this - pre-revolutionary - bold typeface is curiously innovative (instead of descriptive, as most contemporary Arabic typefaces tried to be). It is in a clearly non-Middle Eastern in style  and has all the hallmarks of what is considered modern Iranian type design.

This all warrants further investigation, but I suspect that this novel bold typeface is a case of Imperial Russian typography comparable with colonial Dutch typography for Arabic and Malay - i.e., pragmatic designs by cultural outsiders with very limited access to source material and no awareness at all of traditional Islamic script grammar - but the with the confidence of power.

The punch cutter was probably ordered to create a bold counterpart to the body text, and was at a loss how to shape it. Apparently he, probably unintentionally, applied his own, alien sense of shape and proportions on the Arabic typeface. This would be very similar to what one can observe in European Arabic typography in general and Dutch Arabic typography in particular.

It's all very visible in the dictionary, I will put a contrastive example online for those interested.

Enjoy,

iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

Connie Bobroff

Jan 8, 2011, 5:13:10 PM1/8/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Thomas Milo <deco...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Re. Script grammar:

This will be wonderful to read. Can't wait for this! As valuable as your fonts themselves...
2. Re. Western designs for Arabic:
A characteristic feature of Western font designs for Arabic is therefore the absence of grammar.
I see. But I'm a little troubled by your use of "Arabic" when perhaps you sometimes mean "Perso-Arabic" or even just "Persian". Or this this distinction, too, a Western invention? I like John's term, "neo-naskh" which makes this style seem desirable and I have to say, these grammarless fonts are beautiful!

3. Re. the origin of the "typical Persian naskh style":
I have in my library the Persian-Russian dictionary (М.А. Фаффаров, Персидский-Русский Словарь в двух томах) by Mirza Abdullah Gaffarov (ميرزا عبد الله بن عبد الغفار تبريزي М.А.Гаффаров) in two volumes
This is the first I'm hearing about Gaffarov. Thank you. And I see someone has also noted the difference in the two volumes:
(bottom-most entry)

Gaffarov seems to have written another book which appears to be available only at the Berlin State Library:

ʻAbdallāh Ibn-ʻAbd-al-Ġaffār Tibrīzī, and Fedor Evgeńevič Korš. 1902. Muntaḫabāt-i-fārisijja az ātār-i-muallifīn-i-Īrān qarn-i-čahā-rum hiǵrī ilā ajjāminā ba-saʻj wa-imām-i-Mīrzā ʻAbdallāh Ibn-ʻAbd-al-Ġaffār Tibrīzī, Muʻallim dar madrasa-i-Lāzārūf ǵamʻ wanigāšta šud. Trudy po Vostokověděniju, Vyp. 10. Moskva: (Tipo-Lit. ʻRusskago T-va pečatnago i izdatel'skago děla).

It's all very visible in the dictionary, I will put a contrastive example online for those interested.

Please do!
Thank you for all this information.

-Connie

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 5:30:00 PM1/8/11
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Voilà, the two page doublets that document the revolutionary transition in Gaffarov's dictionary.

www.decotype.com/Gaffarov_1914-vs-1928.pdf

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

Preface to the second volume translated in English (thanks to http://www.languagehat.com/archives/2002_12.php). I could not identify the author of this excellent posting.

The most moving dictionary preface that I know of adorns the second volume of the Persidsko-Russkii Slovar' [Persian-Russian Dictionary] by M.A. Gaffarov (Mirza Abdallah ebn-e Abd-ol-Ghaffar Tabrizi). The first volume (alef to zhe), replete with explanations of roots, proverbial usages, and quotations from Hafez and Sa'di, had appeared in 1914; the second was delayed by circumstances that will readily, I am sure, suggest themselves. I will let the editor of the second volume tell the story:

The second volume of M.A. Gaffarov's Persian-Russian Dictionary makes its appearance thirteen years after the publication of the first and twenty years after the author began his work. The editor of the first volume, Academician F.E. Korsch, has since passed away, and almost the entire work of putting together the second volume has gone on without his irreplaceable participation. Between the appearance of the first volume and that of the second—everything has changed, even the generally accepted spelling of the Russian language. The initial pages of the second volume (up to the word saf) still preserve the form in which they were published following the appearance of the first volume, i.e., in the old Russian orthography. After the aforementioned word the spelling, paper, and typeface of the book all change—the pages were printed last year and this year, when it has been necessary to content oneself with whatever paper could be found, and to take such type as the printers now have available.

Naturally, during the preceding years, so rich in events and changes for both Persia and Europe, the languages have changed as well. Both the Persian and Russian languages now include many new words and terms, for the most part pertaining to the social and political spheres, that did not exist when the basic text of the dictionary was being prepared. This unavoidable obsolescence of the material had to be rectified by an extended edition. For the sake of keeping to the plan, it was decided to place all new words and meanings, as well as words added to remedy omissions, in a special section of Addenda. These addenda are quite extensive—the lexicon has undergone too many changes, introduced into the language by life. The not infrequent emendations of the basic text, as well as the not infrequent misprints, are due for the most part to the conditions in which the author was forced to work before and during the war. He worked in the evenings, in the course of long years, after a whole day's labor. The setting of type of various sizes, with lead lining, as well as the lack of skill and experience of the young compositors observable in the beginning, also made matters more difficult and multiplied the deficiencies of the book.

The late F.E. Korsch in his preface to the first volume pointed out the significance of the Dictionary.... The present Dictionary represents the fruit of the living linguistic feeling and extensive erudition of an educated and intelligent Persian. Therein we may see the fundamental significance and fundamental value of this work. The Dictionary presents the entire lexical stock of its author. Thus everything in the Dictionary represents an indisputable fact, existing in a living linguistic consciousness, whereas in the heretofore large Persian dictionaries too much has represented the fruit of the compilers' copying, with varying degrees of critical scrutiny—sometimes greater (Vullers), sometimes lesser (Steingass), and sometimes completely lacking in criticism (Jagiello). In the present Dictionary, perhaps in some respects less material is given, but all of it is unconditionally reliable in the above sense....

For many words in the Dictionary, examples are cited from colloquial, literary and poetic language. On occasion a poetic citation will be encountered even for a word whose meaning would be clear without it. The author thinks that some excess in this respect is no great sin, and hopes that readers and critics will excuse him.

L. Zhirkov.
The author of the preface was Lev Ivanovich Zhirkov, "one of the founders of national literacy for many unwritten languages of the Northern Caucasus and of the Turkic languages of the USSR" (Vsemirnyi biograficheskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar'). I am happy to report that he lived to a ripe old age and died in 1963.

Connie Bobroff

Jan 8, 2011, 5:38:24 PM1/8/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Yes, this definitely qualifies for "good old Persian". So Gaffarov started it all, not Linotype...

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 5:40:01 PM1/8/11
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
I just posted a link to the contrastive revolutionary transition pages, along with the languagehat info that you dug up.

For the script I use "Arabic" in the same way one uses "Latin". No need to call Latin Catholo-Franco-Germano-Anglo-Americo-Latin, no need to call Arabic Islamo-Persi-Turko-Indo-Arabic :-)

Notwithstanding that, I am fully aware of the central role played by Persians and Perso-Arabs in shaping Arabic script culture.

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

Thomas Milo

Jan 8, 2011, 5:56:47 PM1/8/11
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Well - at least Gaffarov clearly proves that Linotype isn't the original source. Original design and respect for copyrights have never been a feature of the typeface industry. G.W. Ovink, the inhouse historian of the Amsterdam Type Foundry N. Tetterode spells this out quite honestly in his History of Tetterode. I am preparing a publication of some great examples exposing Tetterode's Arabic work in this sense.

How Russian typography came to produce a bold typeface (at that time unheard of for Arabic) is the next thing to be researched. It's a curious innovation and I believe it will provide the answer to your original question: what are the roots of modern "innovative" Persian neo-naskh.

The distinctive characteristics of "Gaffarov Bold"  - some of them we no relation to actual Arabic script practice - remain characteristic of later Soviet Arabic typography, and, curiously and probably through the Linotype connection, for most initial Arabic work of Reading-educated designers.

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

Connie Bobroff

Jan 8, 2011, 6:18:43 PM1/8/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
There was one Mirza Ilyas Boraganskii (1852-1942)  whose "Muslim press made invaluable contributions to the cultural advancement of the Muslims of Russia".
I'm attaching his bio which is taken from this source:
 Islam v Sankt-Peterburge : ·en´t`siklopedicheskii slovar’ / [redak´t`sionna´i`a kollegi´i`a D.Z. Khairetdinov (sostavitel’ i otvetstvennyi redaktor serii) ... et al.].  Moskva ; Nizhnii Novgorod : ID "Medina", 2009.

Also, see the following wonderful book, especially about the Iranian presence in Baku before WWI. I think an understanding of this period will explain a lot.

Chaquèri, Cosroe.

The Russo-Caucasian origins of the Iranian left : social democracy in modern Iran / Cosroe Chaquéri

Richmond : Curzon, 2001

borganskii.pdf

John Hudson

Jan 9, 2011, 12:46:17 AM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
Connie wrote:

> Do they have letters and diaries and narratives of the history or just
> font sketeches and so forth?

There is at least some documentation: Walter Tracy's filing cabinet went
with the collection, although I can't remember how much stuff and what
was in it. Of course, Fiona Ross teaches at Reading, and has a better
idea of what is contained in the archive.

> But there is more to this. I work with native speakers of Persian all
> day. None of them has any trouble reading nasta`liq at a fast pace
> without any discomfort. I am truly puzzled at the responses to your
> original question. I hope your publisher will make a scan of the
> original in PDF available on a website for download to compensate for
> the recent decision about using naskh. I'm sure most scholars would
> appreciate that.

In this case, I don't think there is an 'original' in the sense of a
particular manuscript. These are new bilingual editions of major
literary works with what I understand to be fairly well established
texts (hence my earlier comparison to scholarly editions of Shakespeare,
which even if they note variant readings between different sources don't
need to produce a facsimile of these).

John Hudson

Jan 9, 2011, 1:10:31 AM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
Connie wrote:

> I like John's term, "neo-naskh"
> which makes this style seem desirable and I have to say, these
> grammarless fonts are beautiful!

I would say, rather, that *some* of them contain strong graphic forms
and nice treatments of stroke modulation, proportion, etc., and if these
forms were to be married to a proper script grammar, then we'd really be
talking about beauty. Titus Nemeth's Nassim fonts for Tasmeem are a big
step in this direction:
http://www.tntypography.com/nassim.html

On the subject of nastaliq type, I believe that Linotype Qalmi -- which
is not available in any current format -- deserves to be singled out
from much of the approach to Perso-Arabic typeface development among
western type foundries. This was made for early digitial typesetting
systems (before desktop publishing), by Tim Holloway and Fiona Ross,
with dedicated nastaliq software (I'm sorry I can't remember the name of
the man who did the programming. I have copies of the patent
documentation for the Qalmi system, which I made from the originals at
Reading, and it is an intelligent piece of work, both in terms of design
and software. It was designed for Urdu newspaper setting, so it
represents a particular kind of nastaliq performance, rather than a full
grammar such as Tom has implemented, but the analysis is solid.

Hooman Mehr

Jan 9, 2011, 4:52:42 AM1/9/11
to Connie Bobroff, Roozbeh Pournader, Saber S., Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Connie,

I wonder if there would be a way to let individual authors and publishers in Iran have a choice as to how accessible their books should be? Is anyone working towards this?

I am working on this issue along with a publisher friend, but it is in extremely early stages. I am also working on some more general solutions for Persian e-Books and e-Book publishing. I have a recommendation for everybody interested in Persian e-Books: Buy flexible hardware devices, devices with installable apps.

Current generation of e-ink based e-Book readers like Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc. are at the mercy of their hardware vendors and probably will never properly support Persian books. On the other hand, if you get a more powerful tablet with installable software capability (such as iPad or the upcoming competitors) then the issue will be properly addressable. Everything from search and dictionary look-up to readability and proper font rendering can be handled properly. I am not saying that there is any solution already on the market, but the solution will eventually come up.

- Hooman

Hooman Mehr

Jan 9, 2011, 5:10:43 AM1/9/11
to John Hudson, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I hope it is not already too late, I just got back from a long hiatus...

It depends on the length and type of content (poetic, utilitarian, etc) but I generally agree with you and recommend Nastaliq. However, you might run into issues in producing high quality digital Nastaliq. So, the publisher needs to see what kind of option they have for digitally typesetting Nastaliq.

The most practical solution for a western publisher is probably Tasmeem plug-in with Nastaliq font for Adobe InDesign page layout software. Tasmeem is provided by WinSoft (http://www.winsoft-international.com/). Typsetting of Nastaliq with this solution needs supervision and some tweaking by a person with a fair bit of knowledge about the Nastaliq calligraphic style, otherwise the result will not be satisfactory.

- Hooman

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM, John Hudson <jo...@tiro.ca> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 5:19:33 AM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
I keep looking at this typographic artefact and come to the conclusion
that my judgment was perhaps a bit too harsh. The punch cutter who
created this bold typeface did a good job innovating Arabic script.
What makes it a lanmark is that the innovation as such. He is
certainly playing in a different league than beginners like the
Dutchman Thomas Erpenius and contemporaries, who either had no samples
or were mislead by Hebrew examples. This person must have had ample
access to real manuscript sources, as one can glean from the preface
to the first, 1914 volume. To this day the St Petersburg Oriental
Institute harbours a host of Islamic manuscripts from all over the
Eurasian Russian Empire. The project was financed by Prince Abamelek
Lazarev (http://www.encspb.ru/en/article.php?kod=2804002236), an other
indication that the work was thorough. From the shapes one gets the
impression that the punch cutter took his inspiration from Bihari
script. Distinctive - and innovative - features are the triangle-
shaped Alef and the standardization of open Meem, where naskh script
grammar would require a complementary distribution of open
(horizontally connected) and closed (vertically connected) Meems.

In the second part of the production all the typefaces are different.
It would not be unlikely that all lead was simply requisitioned to be
turned into bullets. The post-revolutionary typography is plain and
utilitarian, none of the original elegance remains. The Arabic
typeface could have been a precursor of the SIL Schehrazade typeface:
no ligatures except Lam-Alef (which is in fact a fusion, not a
ligature).

On Jan 8, 9:40 pm, Thomas Milo <decot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The observation I would like to bring to our attention is that the design of this - pre-revolutionary - bold typeface is curiously innovative (instead of descriptive, as most contemporary Arabic typefaces tried to be). It is in a clearly non-Middle Eastern in style  and has all the hallmarks of what is considered modern Iranian type design.
>
> This all warrants further investigation, but I suspect that this novel bold typeface is a case of Imperial Russian typography comparable with colonial Dutch typography for Arabic and Malay - i.e., pragmatic designs by cultural outsiders with very limited access to source material and no awareness at all of traditional Islamic script grammar - but the with the confidence of power.
>
> The punch cutter was probably ordered to create a bold counterpart to the body text, and was at a loss how to shape it. Apparently he, probably unintentionally, applied his own, alien sense of shape and proportions on the Arabic typeface. This would be very similar to what one can observe in European Arabic typography in general and Dutch Arabic typography in particular.
>
> It's all very visible in the dictionary, I will put a contrastive example online for those interested.
>
> Enjoy,

> Thomas Milo
> tm...@decotype.comwww.decotype.com
> iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
> Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
> Office  +31-20-662-5172
> Skype   t.milo
>
> On 8 Jan 2011, at 18:44, Connie Bobroff wrote:
>
> > One thing that would be helpful is if we could finally learn about the history of the Persian naskh fonts that we have all become so accustomed to, we think they are the TRUE Persian style. I'm talking about Nazanin, Roya, etc. Linotype was commusioned by Kayhan newspaper to make these fonts in the 1970s. Fiona Ross had told me--before she got tired of anwering my emails--- the person who actually designed the fonts was Tim Holloway
> >http://www.linotype.com/427/timholloway.html
> > but would not provide any more details. Linotype has produced a small amount of historical documentation and pictures but nothing detailed. Since these fonts have had such an impact on shaping everyone's conception of what Persian naskh is, Fiona and Tim really need to speak up. All those fonts have a certain look and a certain "grammar" as Tom calls it. How did they arrive at that style which was quite different (less "fancy")  than previous fonts? I understand that all this is probably a company secret but really, it is their duty to speak up so we don't lose this history. If it turns out that it was not actually Tim Holloway (or someone else at Linotype) who designed them but rather some anonymous Iranian, that is fine, just please let us learn the history.
> > -Connie

Saber S.

Jan 9, 2011, 6:09:04 AM1/9/11
to Hooman Mehr, Connie Bobroff, Roozbeh Pournader, Null, persian-...@googlegroups.com
Hooman,
The price matters! You can buy a Kindle around $180, but iPad starts from $500 (in Iran it starts from $800), on the other hand e-ink matters!

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 6:25:31 AM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
I agree with John about the desirability of combining of script
grammar and good design.

Introducing the a linguistic concept like "grammar" in the field of
script analysis creates the opportunity to apply "grammatical"
concepts to the subject matter. I find the notions of "Competence" and
"Performance" helpful. In the field of script handling - writing or
making fonts - Competence relates to knowledge of the grammar while
Performance to the individual application of grammar rules. I think
beauty is brought into script by Performance. For all clarity, a
"grammarless" script has of course still grammar - but it's no longer
legacy grammar. To bring in another linguistic analogy: in comparison
with traditional scripts (handwritten or typeset), modern typefaces
could be called "pidginized". But like pidgin English can be
pronounced beautifully, so a typeface stripped of script grammar can
be designed to look good.
> Gulf Islands, BC      t...@tiro.com

Jan 9, 2011, 6:22:02 AM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
I can second that Kindle DX - Graphite supports persian right out of
the box, i read many of hedayat's books on my Kindle DXG.
I can post pictures if you want to.

"I can report that the Kindle DX does not support Persian (at least
out of
the box). There's no font, bidi, nor glyph-shaping. "

Titus Nemeth

Jan 9, 2011, 9:10:12 AM1/9/11
to Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Hi Connie,

I was copied into this email by Thomas Milo.

Your desire that a history of the Linotype typefaces must be told is very understandable and I agree, such an account is long overdue. Unfortunately most publications that claim to deal with the subject are either omitting half (or indeed all) the story, or are substantially flawed. In many instances the information provided by Linotype GmbH is no exception to this.

As it happens I'm currently undertaking research about the history of mechanised Arabic typography, having, amongst other things, the goal to credit people involved in important developments in Arabic typography. I agree, we do not know much about them, but rather than blaming those that do not 'speak up', one should remember that those, that are all too noisily audible do not always tell (or indeed know) the bigger picture.

You will certainly appreciate that such research, if taken seriously, needs time. However, I hope that eventually it will help to answer questions like the ones you posed.

Best regards
Titus
--
upcoming trips:
January 9 - January 16: Marrakech (MOR)
January 21 - January 27: Reading (UK)
--
tntypography.com

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 11:22:21 AM1/9/11
to Titus Nemeth, Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Hi Titus,

I hoped you would comment. I am certainly looking forward to se the fruits of your research. Maybe we have a chance to verify the Saint Petersburg connection.

Cheers,

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

John Hudson

Jan 9, 2011, 12:33:43 PM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
Thomas Milo wrote:

> To bring in another linguistic analogy: in comparison
> with traditional scripts (handwritten or typeset), modern typefaces
> could be called "pidginized". But like pidgin English can be
> pronounced beautifully, so a typeface stripped of script grammar can
> be designed to look good.

And may become, in the hands of a new generation, a fully-fledged creole
with its own grammar, thus completing the analogy.

JH

--

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC ti...@tiro.com

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 5:12:13 PM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
That is exactly what I was driving at.

On Jan 9, 6:33 pm, John Hudson <j...@tiro.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Milo wrote:
> > To bring in another linguistic analogy: in comparison
> > with traditional scripts (handwritten or typeset), modern typefaces
> > could be called "pidginized". But like pidgin English can be
> > pronounced beautifully, so a typeface stripped of script grammar can
> > be designed to look good.
>
> And may become, in the hands of a new generation, a fully-fledged creole
> with its own grammar, thus completing the analogy.
>
> JH
>
> --
>
> Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
> Gulf Islands, BC      t...@tiro.com

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 9, 2011, 5:54:37 PM1/9/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Hi Tom,

You probably are talking about historical Persian Naskh. I don't dispute
that. My point (and I guess Roozbeh's) is that in this day and age, what was
common 100 years ago is irrelevant re what I want to see my Persian text set with.

People keep talking about limitations of technology that simplified Persian
writing. They fail to talk about limitations of handwriting that made it
impossible to have straight lines back then....

To summarize, I don't think we want what was common 100 years ago, even if
technology allows it these days. That's all I'm saying.

behdad

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 6:16:06 PM1/9/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, Persian Computing
Hi Behdad,

I tried to explain that there's Naskh and there's simplified Naskh. For
the consumer it's a matter of choice. My focus is on providing freedom
of choice, by making them all technically possible.

Best regards,

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 9, 2011, 6:19:58 PM1/9/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Hi Tom,

I understand, and appreciate that point of view. I was responding to Connie
mostly who seems to be insisting that technology-permitting, we shall return
to the good old styles of Persian...

karine

Jan 9, 2011, 7:11:07 PM1/9/11
to Persian Computing
This discussion has gone into a totally different direction now where we are throwing out linguistic terms to refer to scripts -- terms that are used to define language rather than artificial constructions like a writing system or convention. The linguistic comparisons being made really do not make much sense and we should be more careful about making analogies where the fundamental elements are not the same at all.

The whole idea of "script grammar" could be accepted if you are defining "grammar" as just a set of prescriptive rules rather than a natural or biological set of principles (which is what language grammar is considered to be). And the whole comparison with competence/performance makes no sense in my view -- competence in linguistics refers to an innate knowledge of the grammar by the native speaker. Are you suggesting that the rules for putting together scripts are somehow defined in our brain architecture?! If so, I believe that it is a revolutionary claim that should be backed up with serious evidence. For instance, we would then expect scripts to be learned by children with little direct input, training, or correction because their underlying principles are innate knowledge.

I also find this reference to pidgin and creole scripts pretty strange... is there a precedence for using the terms "pidgin" and "creole" for scripts and typefaces?
The way in which languages - and more specifically pidgins and creoles - develop is quite distinct from the way an artificial construct like a script develops and I don't see the evidence for the usage of these linguistic terms for scripts and typefaces.

If you are using these terms differently to refer to artificial constructs such as scripts and the rules that govern them, then please redefine your terms clearly. Otherwise, let us be mindful about using terms that do not apply to the domain in question.

-karine

Karine Megerdoomian

Thomas Milo wrote:

Introducing the a linguistic concept like "grammar" in the field of
script analysis creates the opportunity to apply "grammatical"
concepts to the subject matter. I find the notions of "Competence" and
"Performance" helpful. In the field of script handling - writing or
making fonts - Competence relates to knowledge of the grammar while
Performance to the individual application of grammar rules. I think
beauty is brought into script by Performance. For all clarity, a
"grammarless" script has of course still grammar - but it's no longer
legacy grammar. To bring in another linguistic analogy: in comparison

Thomas Milo

Jan 9, 2011, 7:34:19 PM1/9/11
to Behdad Esfahbod, Persian Computing
Personally I was educated with Latin, the language and the literature,
from a periods between 2400 and 1900 years ago. So I am acutely aware
that to this day the vast majority of western books are printed in
classic Roman typefaces that preserve the essentials of a two-and-a-half
millenia old script. Call it conservative. But in any case, you
shouldn't be surprised that Connie, or me for that matter, are a bit
incredulous that Iranians would trash their glorious text tradition in
favour of a one-century old alien concept, arguing that texts shouldn't
look the way they way they looked a century ago.

:-)

Behdad Esfahbod

Jan 9, 2011, 7:44:22 PM1/9/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Tom,

First, I don't think the comparison is meaningful. What constitutes
comfortable type for me as a native Persian has nothing to do with what
constitutes comfortable type for you as a native Latin-script user.

Second, it occurs to me that the two-and-a-half millenia script you are
talking about was subject to the same technical limitations that the
century-old Latin script was: both were inscribed, one on stone, the other on
wood / metal. The Arabic script however, became popular when handwriting on
various kinds of "paper" were the common mode of preserving text.

behdad

Connie Bobroff

Jan 9, 2011, 9:02:44 PM1/9/11
to Thomas Milo, Titus Nemeth, Persian Computing
Thank you, Titus. Please keep us updated. This is exciting.

Connie Bobroff

Jan 9, 2011, 9:16:58 PM1/9/11
to Thomas Milo, Titus Nemeth, Persian Computing
Some very hastily written replies:

Tom, I’m still not sure “Arabic” includes “Perso-Arabic” and “Persian.” Maybe in some contexts but not always.  Using linguistic terminology, especially “performance” and competence” for the script is very apt. The way a person writes and types is part of his or her identity but subject to environment and possibly can’t really be taught in a “classroom” after a certain age without a “foreign accent.”  Note that creoles or any spoken variant of a written/formal language can be even more complex than the original, even if no one bothers to document it. Karine, there REALLY  IS a full PRESCRIPTIVE grammar--

[3.
a. A normative or prescriptive set of rules setting forth the current standard of usage for pedagogical or reference purposes.
(Couresty The Free Dictionary)]

--of the script with tons of rules (mostly forgotten alas!) and it used to be part of the culture to pass these rules down through the generations. I agree for everyday use, it is not so much an issue but in a culture where calligraphy plays a major role, people should have a choice to at least learn the traditional rules. Behdad, please see the attached picture with the little boy holding up his proud Tahoma final Yeh (which h is teacher probably told him was the correct way since it’s  on a straight line). Don’t you feel sorry for that little boy? Unlike you, he won’t have the CHOICE to write according to the rules –even for a scholarly reproduction of a classical text-- because he is being deprived of the knowledge of the rules and only knows about neo-naskh and thinks that’s “good old style Persian.” (Ok, I’m exaggerating to make a point but hope this picture scared you!). Hooman, I totally agree that Tasmeem might be dangerous in the wrong hands. Perhaps customers should only be allowed to use it if they have read Tom’s Grammar first. Tom, have you put in some alert pop-ups in the font to prevent something even worse than neo-naskh?!

From Mostofi (just for fun):

….The simplest device was to use the Arabic alphabet, but diversified with art and beauty to give it a special character. Before long the people of Iran surpassed the other Arab-dominated nations in this form of art. The style was divided into four groups of lettering. The “Sols” (one third) style was for the purpose of inscription. “Naskh” was the style for copying books. And the third, “Ta`liq,” was for the purpose of writing decrees and letters. Finally, there is “Toghra” for titles and headings. The rest of the Arab nations followed this precedent. But our Persian forefathers were not content to just be the inventor  of the handwriting of the Arab Empire. They had to create a new and different style for their own language. The outcome was the style of “Nasta`liq,” a broken style of handwriting, composed of “Naskh” and “ta`liq,” which was strictly for letter writing. Like any other form of art, this style did not have set rules from its inception. Mir Ali Heravi was a contemporary of Shah Abbas Safavi (1587-1629) and the master of Mir Emad. He devised basic rules for style and altered the existing ones in an edition entitled, “Adab ol-Mashq,” henceforth, making the Persian style of Nasta`liq one of the branches of the fine arts. The style of Mir Emad has remained unchanged to the present day.

Source:

Volume 1 (of 3), p. 147.

Mustawfī, ʻAbd Allāh, d. 1950. Sharḥ-i zindigānī-i man. English.  The administrative and social history of the Qajar period : the story of my life / by Abdollah Mostafi ; translated from the Persian by his daughter, Nayer Mostofi Glenn.  Pub Info Costa Mesa, Calif. : Mazda Publishers, 1997.

Also see Persian original:

                Mustawfī, ʻAbd Allāh, d. 1950. Sharḥ-i zindiganī-i man yā tārīkh-i ijtimāʻī va idārī-yi dawrahʼi Qājāriyah.  Ṭihrān : Kitabʹfurūshi-yi Zavvar, [1964-]

AzizallahMoshfeghi.png

Webkarine

Jan 9, 2011, 9:59:19 PM1/9/11
to Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Titus Nemeth, Persian Computing

Connie,

Script is very different from language and requires very distinct methodology as well as theoretical terminology.

You may want to revisit the linguistic definition of "competence"... being part of someone's "identity" is a social construct, not something that is innate (i.e., part of the mental faculty)- big difference. I think if you want to use those terms in the script context, you really need to redefine them so that we keep a semblance of scientific approach.
As for the creole part -- I understand quite well the definition of "creole language". The point I was raising was about "creole script" that was mentioned in the email thread, which makes no sense linguistically as far as I can see.

The point you make that people who learn a script beyond a certain age are in effect writing with an "accent" is interesting. Has there been research on that? Could you send me a reference on that one?

thanks,
Karine

Behnam

Jan 9, 2011, 9:40:17 PM1/9/11
to Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Titus Nemeth, Persian Computing
The attached picture is a notebook of an 11 years old school boy back in 1934.
(from Ari Siletz blogs)
behnam
<AzizallahMoshfeghi.png>

Karine Megerdoomian

Jan 9, 2011, 10:34:16 PM1/9/11
to Connie Bobroff, Thomas Milo, Titus Nemeth, Persian Computing

Karine, there REALLY  IS a full PRESCRIPTIVE grammar--

[3.
a. A normative or prescriptive set of rules setting forth the current standard of usage for pedagogical or reference purposes.
(Couresty The Free Dictionary)]

And Connie, if you had read my original message carefully, you would've noticed that I said if you're using "script grammar" in the sense of prescriptive grammar, i.e., a set of rules that people have defined, then that's okay. In fact, I used rules to teach Persian handwriting in class when I was teaching heritage Persian at UCSD and it worked really well. I would be happy to share that with the list if there is interest.

But if you're using it in the linguistic sense - which is what Tom Milo was suggesting -- then it doesn't make sense. To put it simply, grammar in generative linguistics refers to the principles that define the innate knowledge of language (i.e., the brain architecture). Clearly, this does not apply to scripts and typefaces.

Here's something to consider about the difference between script and language:  All cultures and societies have a language (or several dialects of a language) but not every culture has a script -- one argument against script being innate and the same as language.

-Karine

Thomas Milo

Jan 10, 2011, 11:20:54 AM1/10/11
to Persian Computing
I beg to disagree: the comparison is very meaningful.

On Jan 10, 1:44 am, Behdad Esfahbod <beh...@behdad.org> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> First, I don't think the comparison is meaningful.  What constitutes
> comfortable type for me as a native Persian has nothing to do with what
> constitutes comfortable type for you as a native Latin-script user.

You are unconfortable with traditional Persian script. Fair enough, I
take your word for it. I am merely observing that what may very well
turn out to be a century old alien design (the bold typeface spotted
in Gaffarov's Persian-Russian dictionary), redesigned and extended
with a lighter weight by Linotype, is in a position to erase a
millennium of Persian contribution to Islamic script.

BTW, it would be interesting to learn what Karina thinks of
"nativeness"of script users :-)

> Second, it occurs to me that the two-and-a-half millenia script you are
> talking about was subject to the same technical limitations that the
> century-old Latin script was: both were inscribed, one on stone, the other on
> wood / metal.  The Arabic script however, became popular when handwriting on
> various kinds of "paper" were the common mode of preserving text.

Latin has of course its own evolution cause by parchment and paper,
that's not relevant here.

Thomas Milo

Jan 10, 2011, 11:51:25 AM1/10/11
to Persian Computing

On Jan 10, 3:16 am, Connie Bobroff <conn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some very hastily written replies:
>
> Tom, I’m still not sure “Arabic” includes “Perso-Arabic” and “Persian.”

I am using the term Arabic the way it is used in the Unicode Standard:
all Arabic-scripted languages are welcome and should be supported. So
don't worry: Persian is included.

> Hooman, I totally agree that Tasmeem might be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Why do you agree with this strange suggestion? Tasmeem is just a UI, a
set of professional menus in InDesign. What danger can it do in wrong
hands? Would you also issue warnings about the Vanishing Point Filter
in Adobe Photoshop? Or Windows Control Panel? Or the new Mac App
store?

> Perhaps customers should only be allowed to use it if they have read Tom’s
> Grammar first.

Customers should just select the font and forget about it, just like
he/she would do with any other font. The projected Script Grammars
will be academic publications, documenting the research we did into
Arabic script to make this possible.

> Tom, have you put in some alert pop-ups in the font to
> prevent something even worse than neo-naskh?!

You do have a sense of humour! Will consider it for the next versions.

Thomas Milo

Jan 10, 2011, 12:03:20 PM1/10/11
to Persian Computing
Hi Karine,

> Script is very different from language and requires very distinct
> methodology as well as theoretical terminology.

Script is of course an extension of language, so linguistic
terminology is a very good candidate.

> You may want to revisit the linguistic definition of "competence"...
> being part of someone's "identity" is a social construct, not
> something that is innate (i.e., part of the mental faculty)- big
> difference. I think if you want to use those terms in the script
> context, you really need to redefine them so that we keep a semblance
> of scientific approach.

I wrote about this issue here:
http://books.google.nl/books?id=wOMO2s7RRsYC&pg=PA6&dq=thomas+milo+ohlig+gross+computing+and+the&hl=en&ei=bjkrTaC0D8nsOaatmesC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Just scroll to page 502

> As for the creole part -- I understand quite well the definition of
> "creole language". The point I was raising was about "creole script"
> that was mentioned in the email thread, which makes no sense
> linguistically as far as I can see.

Don't get upset. John Hudson was just joking. He was confronting me
with my own "Systemzwang". He might also have been referring to this
kind of development:
http://www.khtt.net/page/106/en

> The point you make that people who learn a script beyond a certain age
> are in effect writing with an "accent" is interesting. Has there been
> research on that? Could you send me a reference on that one?

Such research would in fact close the supposed gap.

Thomas Milo

Jan 10, 2011, 12:18:11 PM1/10/11
to Persian Computing

On Jan 10, 4:34 am, Karine Megerdoomian <webkar...@zoorna.org> wrote:
> > Karine, there REALLY  IS a full PRESCRIPTIVE grammar--
> And Connie, if you had read my original message carefully, you
> would've noticed that I said if you're using "script grammar" in the
> sense of prescriptive grammar, i.e., a set of rules that people have
> defined, then that's okay. In fact, I used rules to teach Persian
> handwriting in class when I was teaching heritage Persian at UCSD and
> it worked really well. I would be happy to share that with the list if
> there is interest.

I have never seen full PRESCRIPTIVE grammar for any Arabic script
style. The nearest to this gets T F Mitchell with his WRITING ARABIC,
a practical Introduction to the Ruq`ah Script. All else I have ever
seen are collections of hints, most of the very stereotyped and
repetitive.

> But if you're using it in the linguistic sense - which is what Tom
> Milo was suggesting -- then it doesn't make sense. To put it simply,
> grammar in generative linguistics refers to the principles that define
> the innate knowledge of language (i.e., the brain architecture).
> Clearly, this does not apply to scripts and typefaces.

I was using the classic definition by De Saussure, see my earlier
posting with link to the actual article.

> Here's something to consider about the difference between script and
> language:  All cultures and societies have a language (or several
> dialects of a language) but not every culture has a script -- one
> argument against script being innate and the same as language.

Here some more things more to consider. Only a child that grows up
between speakers will speak - a "wolf-child" doesn't. A Papua child
that grows up in Xinjiang will speak - and probably write - Uyghur,
not Papua - so there's nothing innate about a specific language - nor
script - in the brain architecture, only the faculty of speech - and
writing. And - there is no script without language, so the faculty of
writing cannot be too far off from the faculty of speech. Connie's
suggestion about writing "with an accent" cold also be seen in this
light.

Peter von Kaehne

Jan 10, 2011, 1:05:04 PM1/10/11
to Webkarine, persian-...@googlegroups.com

> The point you make that people who learn a script beyond a certain age
> are in effect writing with an "accent" is interesting. Has there been
> research on that? Could you send me a reference on that one?

http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00112630/en/

John Hudson

Jan 10, 2011, 2:14:00 PM1/10/11
to Persian Computing
Thomas Milo wrote:

> I am merely observing that what may very well
> turn out to be a century old alien design (the bold typeface spotted
> in Gaffarov's Persian-Russian dictionary), redesigned and extended

> with a lighter weight by Linotype....

Mr Hagighi, whoever he was, was not an in-house designer at Linotype.
The Nazanin typeface appears to have originated, originally under the
name Hagighi, outside Linotype, and to have been brought to them for
manufacture for use with Linotype machines. [Remember that at that date
the typefaces were not the product: the machines were the product, and
the typefaces were added value.]

J.

--

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC ti...@tiro.com

John Hudson

Jan 10, 2011, 2:42:09 PM1/10/11
to Persian Computing
My understanding of 'grammar' in the context of script style* is a
conventional system. Such a system could be taught as a set of
'prescriptive rules', as Karine suggests, but it isn't inherently
prescriptive; study of a script style involves -- or should involve --
descriptive analysis of the system, as a culturally evolved phenomenon.

The kind of contents of the conventional system of a script style
depends on the characteristics of that style. In the case of script
styles of the (Perso-)Arabic writing system, connectivity of letters is
a key characteristic and, hence, one of the most important features of
the grammar of these script styles is how letters connect and what
happens to them within lettergroups (or 'fusions' as Tom calls them). It
is the difference in this aspect of their grammar that primarily
distinguishes the naskh style from what I call neo-naskh, whereas what
they have in common are superficial aspects of letter shape and detail.

Connectivity of letters is also a characteristic of *some* Latin script
styles, and interestingly for me the grammar of e.g. 18th Century
English round hand are comparable in many ways to those of naskh,
including the important distinction of which letter sequences join from
the top of the letter and which join from the baseline. Similarly, the
challenges to implementation of these script styles in typesetting
systems and fonts parallel each other, with the same issues arising from
the use of ligatures vs. contextual variants or stroke components.

JH

*I use the phrase script style to distinguish from the Unicode concept
of script, which I would call writing system. A writing system is
abstracted ('Arabic script'); a script style is concrete ('Naskh').

Thomas Milo

Jan 11, 2011, 4:42:28 AM1/11/11
to Persian Computing
Many thanks. This man may be the creator of the neo-Naskh typeface -
he trained for it!

On Jan 9, 12:18 am, Connie Bobroff <conn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> and sometimes completely lacking in criticism (Jagiello). In the present
> >> Dictionary, perhaps in some respects less material is given, but all of it
> >> is unconditionally reliable in the above sense....
>
> >> For many words in the Dictionary, examples are cited from colloquial,
> >> literary and poetic language. On occasion a poetic citation will be
> >> encountered even for a word whose meaning would be clear without it. The
> >> author thinks that some excess in this respect is no great sin, and hopes
> >> that readers and critics will excuse him.
>
> >> *L. Zhirkov.*
>
> >> The author of the preface was Lev Ivanovich Zhirkov, "one of the founders
> >> of national literacy for many unwritten languages of the Northern Caucasus
> >> and of the Turkic languages of the USSR" (*Vsemirnyi biograficheskii
> >> entsiklopedicheskii slovar'*). I am happy to report that he lived to a

Connie Bobroff

Jan 11, 2011, 1:42:52 PM1/11/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Attached is treat for you. It is a sample of the handwriting of Sir William Jones from his papers stored in New York. (Note the quatrain is probably NOT from Khayyaam as indicated but that is not the point here.)

new york 215.jpg

Connie Bobroff

Jan 11, 2011, 2:02:54 PM1/11/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing
Here attached is a scan from a work from the Boraganski press. I got this from the Majles Library in Tehran.
25-08857-00003.jpg

Thomas Milo

Jan 12, 2011, 5:26:15 AM1/12/11
to Persian Computing
Great find. Many thanks! This is a representative illustration of
European scholars' total disconnect with Islamic script: Jones was the
author or the first English "Grammar of the Persian Language", which
lends special relevance to this artifact.

Instead of using the Persian script of his days, or at least any kind
of valid contemporary Islamic script, Sir William Jones writes Persian
in a clumsy Arabesque fantasy style that for a long time existed
exclusively among Western scholars - and the Western typographers they
advised. As such Jones falls in line with all other European scholars
whose writings and typesetting I have inspected so far. It this kind
of scholarship that drove Arabic typography into a direction that,
ironically, now threatens to replace the Perso-Arabic script
tradition.

On Jan 11, 7:42 pm, Connie Bobroff <conn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is treat for you. It is a sample of the handwriting of Sir William
> Jones from his papers stored in New York. (Note the quatrain is probably NOT
> from Khayyaam as indicated but that is not the point here.)

> > transition

> >  > >>www.decotype.com
>  new york 215.jpg
> 515KViewDownload

Thomas Milo

Jan 12, 2011, 6:15:35 AM1/12/11
to Persian Computing
Thanks for this elucidation, John. As you can see in the Gaffarov
pages, there was no relation between the regular and the bold
typeface. The regular weight of Nazanin however, does have such a
relation.

On Jan 10, 8:14 pm, John Hudson <j...@tiro.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Milo wrote:
> > I am merely observing that what may very well
> > turn out to be a century old alien design (the bold typeface spotted
> > in Gaffarov's Persian-Russian dictionary), redesigned and extended
> > with a lighter weight by Linotype....
>
> Mr Hagighi, whoever he was, was not an in-house designer at Linotype.
> The Nazanin typeface appears to have originated, originally under the
> name Hagighi, outside Linotype, and to have been brought to them for
> manufacture for use with Linotype machines. [Remember that at that date
> the typefaces were not the product: the machines were the product, and
> the typefaces were added value.]
>
> J.
>
> --
>
> Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
> Gulf Islands, BC      t...@tiro.com

Thomas Milo

Jan 12, 2011, 6:21:43 AM1/12/11
to Persian Computing
Thanks for this elucidation, John. As you can see in the Gaffarov
pages, there was no relation between the regular and the bold
typeface. The regular weight of Nazanin however, does have such a
relation.

On Jan 10, 8:14 pm, John Hudson <j...@tiro.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Milo wrote:
> > I am merely observing that what may very well
> > turn out to be a century old alien design (the bold typeface spotted
> > in Gaffarov's Persian-Russian dictionary), redesigned and extended
> > with a lighter weight by Linotype....
>
> Mr Hagighi, whoever he was, was not an in-house designer at Linotype.
> The Nazanin typeface appears to have originated, originally under the
> name Hagighi, outside Linotype, and to have been brought to them for
> manufacture for use with Linotype machines. [Remember that at that date
> the typefaces were not the product: the machines were the product, and
> the typefaces were added value.]
>
> J.
>
> --
>
> Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
> Gulf Islands, BC      t...@tiro.com

Connie Bobroff

Jan 12, 2011, 1:05:28 PM1/12/11
to Thomas Milo, Persian Computing, Franklin M.J.
Tom,
On the Sir William Jones handwriting, can you please articulate what makes his handwriting such a violation of the rules? Even when we say a native speaker has "bad" or "messy" handwriting, it is still the handwriting of  a native speaker and follows certain rules. This sample obviously is NOT the handwriting of a native speaker. But why?? Is it in the joining? The angle? A combination of problems? Actually, it does not look too different than my handwriting and that of many other Persian learners! One should admit, at least it is readable and functional but alas, it is not fluent which is the opposite situation of his English handwriting.

Thomas Milo

Jan 12, 2011, 4:09:30 PM1/12/11
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing, Franklin M.J.
Hi Connie,

One should admit, at least it is readable and functional

Forget you modern judgment and try to understand what kind of an impression such writing made in the 18th century on contemporary Persians (and any Ottoman citizen for that matter). In its age is was certainly functional among other western scholars, while dysfunctional for any Near and Middle Eastern communication.

The script angle is not the main issue.  What makes Jones' handwriting foreign I will try to show by isolating just one of the ignored rules in the two words that I singled out:
نشینان
پشمست

For the sake of the arguments first  remove all dot patterns. This is necessary, because pre-typographic script grammar applies on generic letters, independently of any attachment. i.e., on the so-called archigraphemes:
ٮسٮٮاں
ٮسمسٮ

Since these remaining script skeletons are practically illegible without script grammar (as in most computer fonts and uneducated handwriting), it is practical to transliterate the archigraphemes:
ٮسٮٮاں > BSBBA N (please note that the space inside نشینان is also transliterated)
ٮسمسٮ > BSMSB

We end up with three "Letter Blocks". This is what we need: the Letter Block is the minimum unit of Arabic script. A Letter Block consists of a single letter, or two or more "fused" letters:
BSBBA ٮسٮٮا
N ں
BSMSB ٮسمسٮ

We discard Letter Block N, for this sample analysis only two Letter Blocks are relevant:
BSBBA ٮسٮٮا
BSMSB ٮسمسٮ

The remaining Letter Blocks BSBBA and BSMSB share the initial two archigraphemes:
BS ٮس‍

In all known Islamic scripts styles, (with the possible exception of some Magrebi styles that I haven't yet studied sufficiently yet), for an initial sequence of BS, the rule applies that B must be raised relative to the S (most probably in order to maintain or enhance legibility).

It is a tell-tale characteristic of alien, uninformed or "ungrammatical" writing to keep the vertical stubs or teeth (aṯnān) in a BS sequence equally - or almost equally - tall.

That's just one of the problems. Others are the treatment of M and of the BB group in middle position.

I hope that gives you a first impression what is going on.

Cheers,

Thomas Milo
iPhone  +31-6-4188-0859
Mobile  +31-6-2450-3943
Skype t.milo

John Hudson

Jan 12, 2011, 8:30:54 PM1/12/11
to Persian Computing
It doesn't help that Jones was trying to write Arabic script with the
same pointed nib that he used to write English. Beginning in the 17th
century, and flourishing -- literally as well as figuratively -- in the
18th century, European writing masters developed script styles around
the characteristics of the pointed, split steel nib, as distinct from
the broad nib used in mediaeval and renaissance writing.* The split nib
remained the common writing implement in Europe and the Americas until
the Italic revival of the 20th century.

Jones' English handwriting isn't particularly good, but it works
naturally with the characteristics of the pointed nib. The Arabic
falters terribly though, and I suspect the awkwardness of many of the
forms is a result of trying to push the nib contrary to its natural
direction. Given the difficulty of trying to write this way, I'm not
surprised that Jones fails to observe all of the script rules, as Tom notes.

There is, by the way, a delightfully idiosyncratic fantasy of Arabic
script as it might be written with the split nib that appears among the
engraved plates of 17th and 18th century French and English writing
manuals. The fact that exactly the same image is re-engraved and
published over a period of almost a hundred years makes me think that no
one ever actually developed this as a writing style; rather, it exists
as a one-off image. I had occasion to post an image of this to a
Typophile discussion some months ago:
http://www.typophile.com/node/68821

JH

* I refer to the typical European broad nib styles as 'shallow', whereas
the eastern broad nib styles -- not only Arabic and Hebrew, but also
Byzantine Greek -- are 'steep'. This refers to the angle of the nib
relative to the reading line (which in some methods is not the same as
the writing line, as the page may be turned during execution).

--

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC ti...@tiro.com

Connie Bobroff

Jan 13, 2011, 2:10:17 PM1/13/11
to John Hudson, Persian Computing
Tom and John, I appreciate your insights so thank you for sharing. I once picked up a nice tip from Mamoun Sakkal on buying a cheap felt English/Latin  calligraphy pen to practice Persian: If you are right-handed, buy the left-handed model and if you are left-handed, buy the right-handed model. However, I have some feeling that even with the perfect instruments and knowledge of the rules, there is more to the story. I have been in a Persian calligraphy class where, with a few exceptions, after a few months, it becomes clear that those who have not been exposed to Persian script since childhood somehow can't even really COPY a block properly. For cases like me with no artistic talent, there is absolutely no hope of producing a native hand, whether of ornamental calligraphy or everyday handwriting. I have seen in more than one such classes that by the last day of the semester, the non-natives are an emotional wreck while the native speakers, even if they don't have the rules exactly right, produce beautiful, beautiful works of art from writing one word.
That said, I think I should go find a computer lab with Windows with InDesign loaded, download the trial version of Tasmim and try to see if I can figure out how to type! Then maybe I'll retype some of these blocks
and see how different they turn out. Maybe I'll ask you to check them in case I
produce a monster.

-Connie

Thomas Milo

Jan 13, 2011, 5:03:47 PM1/13/11
to Persian Computing
Hi John,

On Jan 13, 2:30 am, John Hudson <j...@tiro.ca> wrote:
> It doesn't help that Jones was trying to write Arabic script with the
> same pointed nib that he used to write English.

This is typically an aspect where the Competence-Performance approach
is helpful. The writing implement can affect the Performance, but not
the Competence.

> Given the difficulty of trying to write this way, I'm not
> surprised that Jones fails to observe all of the script rules, as Tom notes.

Jones Competence was not based in knowledge of Middle Eastern or real
Arabic. He merely observes imaginary script rules that are part of the
Western typographical "fourfold breakdown". This system of initial,
middle, final and unconnected forms, first shown in Western type
specimens which is now in widespread use, is never shown or described
in Middle eastern sources. Instructional muraqqa` or mashq sheets only
show Arabic script in fused Letter Blocks - never as dissected letters
out of context.

> There is, by the way, a delightfully idiosyncratic fantasy of Arabic
> script as it might be written with the split nib that appears among the
> engraved plates of 17th and 18th century French and English writing
> manuals. The fact that exactly the same image is re-engraved and
> published over a period of almost a hundred years makes me think that no
> one ever actually developed this as a writing style; rather, it exists
> as a one-off image. I had occasion to post an image of this to a
> Typophile discussion some months ago:http://www.typophile.com/node/68821

Your example may be a bit ideosyncratic on one hand, on the other it
falls in line with its contemporaries. It seems to document the kind
of knowledge of Arabic script that the early printers had at their
disposal. The scholars clearly had a good functional understanding of
the letters and knew the spelling rules well. But they didn't know how
to express the script.

For all clarity, Jones' approach to Arabic script is not idiosyncratic
at all. It follows exactly the same system as early European printing.

Dan

Jan 15, 2011, 6:43:33 PM1/15/11
to Persian Computing
My 2 Riyals' worth:

1. The National Hand of Iran and Pakistan is obviously Nasta'liq (with
variations for each country, obviously). As little kids, we learned
something like Naskh, but as we got older, we gradually got
"socialized" into Nasta'liq. In Art class, we all whittled our own
reed pens and learned Nasta'liq calligraphy (not so pretty in my case
-- gorgography?).

2. For all that, in Iran, Most books are printed in Naskh. There are
reasons for that:
a. It is possible to produce Naskh mechascript (as opposed to
manuscript)
that does minimal offense to our aesthetic sensibilities. Some
of the
earlier Microsoft attempts were annoying -- too "Arab", frankly
-- And
getting justified text right with the placement of the keshideh
can still
require a professional's eye.
b. Naskh holds up to the typographical requirement of scholarly
printing
(footnotes, annotation, marginal material, critical apparatus,
etc.)
much better than Nasta'liq or any other of the more decorative
scripts.
You don't see anyone in the Arab world, for instance printing
journals
in Ruqa'a, Thulth, or Diwani for the same reasons.

3. There is a place for books in Nasta'liq, and that is bookmaking as
an Art form, where the calligraphy/typography, the illustrations, and
the bookmaker's craft combine to create a harmonious whole. An Art
book version of the Shahnameh, for instance, fills an entirely
different function/purpose/aesthetic from a scholarly edition.

Incidentally, there is such a thing as beautiful Naskh. We're just
used to the mass-produced variety.

I had better quit while I'm ahead :-)

Cheers,

-Dan.

On Jan 6, 4:38 pm, Roozbeh Pournader <rooz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Connie Bobroff <conn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Isn't he the guy who said "باید از فرق سر تا ناخن پا فرنگی شویم"? ;)
>
> > Roozbeh, that is completely unfair and out of context but since you jump on
> > the band-wagon quoting this infamous line like everyone else, you leave me
> > no choice. Can we not argue that he might mean here, IMPROVE the font
> > technoogy and teach the scholars who are reading these scholarly texts how
> > to read? I cannot imagine Taghizadeh suggesting and text or reader
> > settling for the low-hanging-fruit solution.
>
> Please note that I'm a fan of his, have read a bit about the quote,
> and this was a joke.

> >> I've seen Tom's technology. It's pretty nice, and is perhaps the best
> >> computer Nastaliq I've seen. But it's still quite far from something
> >> good enough to publish fancy books in.
>
> > Tom?
>
> "Tom Milo"?
>
> Roozbeh

Behnam

Jan 15, 2011, 10:53:37 PM1/15/11
to Dan, Persian Computing
I more or less agree with Dan except one major issue: WE DO NOT HAVE TYPOGRAPHY
Nowhere in the world the fonts are carbon copy of a handwriting style. They are product of their purpose. The major difference between Roman and Perso-Arabic script in mechanical technology -and digital thus far- is that the technology was adapted to natural behaviour of Roman script, but Perso-Arabic script had to adapt itself to the natural behaviour of the technology.
What you are saying is a realistic view about what we are faced with. And what we are faced with is a workaround for the lack of typography.
Let me put it differently. With current technology, I can not make a font off my handwriting. I have a horrible horrible handwriting. But this is not the point. The point is that the technology does not allow me to produce a font of my handwriting, or more accurately, in order to produce such font, I have to go through the same pain that I have to go through, for producing a sophisticated Nasta'liq.
In such situation, there can't be any true understanding of something called TYPOGRAPHY. Because our focus is not to produce a text shaping that serves a particular purpose or a particular idea. Our focus is only to overcome technological barriers.
My concern is not, and never has been to reproduce the finest Nasta'liq in a font. My concern is a technology that allows us to do so, therefore it allows us to respect the natural behaviour of our script, and from there, we just BEGIN to encounter a new world called typography.

Behnam

> --
> http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing

Dan Parvaz

Jan 15, 2011, 11:18:48 PM1/15/11
to Behnam, Persian Computing
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Behnam <beh...@me.com> wrote:
I more or less agree with Dan except one major issue: WE DO NOT HAVE TYPOGRAPHY

 Agreed. And don't even get me started on shekasteh :-)

The other promising technology, then, is to look to TeX / Metafont or something like it to literally draw words and place dots/vowels in the right places. I'm not saying this is easy, but it is available to us. The problem is to somehow reproduce aesthetic judgments. I know of no algorithmically consistent way for deciding when to split compound words (i.e. the hamsafar vs ham-safar problem).

Well, thank goodness there are problems or researchers would be out of business...

-Dan.

John Hudson

Jan 16, 2011, 12:01:31 AM1/16/11
to Persian Computing
Behnam wrote:

> Nowhere in the world the fonts are carbon copy of a handwriting style.

That rather depends what you mean by 'handwriting'.

Typical serif Latin type forms are directly derived from the formal
manuscript style used in the Italian renaissance scribal culture in
which these type forms originated. Italic type forms are directly
derived from the informal cursive manuscript style of the same period.
Before that, of course, Gutenberg's textura types were directly derived
from the formal manuscript style of his German scribal culture.

Two general principles are at work historically:

1. Every mature scribal culture develops both formal and informal styles.

Formal styles tend to require slower writing and, in many scripts, are
more likely to involve disconnected letters and, indeed, a broken
ductus, i.e. the pen leaves the page during the construction of the
letter. Informal styles tend to be written faster and display the
characteristic features of speed: horizontal compression, slant,
abbreviation, and cursive construction and connection of letters. The
Perso-Arabic script is among a minority of writing systems in which both
formal and informal styles involve cursive connection and construction
of letters; indeed, the way in which letters connect are normative
aspects of almost all styles and, hence, are often generalised to a
description of the writing system itself.

2. The typical or normative typographic form of a script tends to
reflect the predominant scribal styles at the time of the introduction
of typography.

Hence, five hundred years after the fact, the typical forms of Latin
text typography remain, broadly, those of the Renaissance Italian
humanist formal bookhand, with a secondary role taken by the informal,
chancery hand. Similarly, when typography of Perso-Arabic script was
implemented within the context of the Ottoman Empire, the normative
style of text typography reflected the predominant formal scribal style,
naskh.

Both the divergence of typography from writing and their ongoing
relationship are of interest in the study of individual cultures. Mature
scribal cultures do not disappear overnight. For hundreds of years after
the introduction of printing from cast type in Europe writing continued
to be an important skill and writing masters continued to develop new
styles, and these in turn directly influenced tastes in typography.
Hence the neo-classical and romantic types of the 18th and 19th
centuries clearly display the influence of the split nib steel pen;
indeed, I've amassed plenty of evidence that the English neo-classical
roman type form associated with Baskerville was fully realised by the
writing masters half a century before Baskerville thought to have it
manufactured as type.

> ...the technology was adapted to natural behaviour of Roman script,

but Perso-Arabic script had to adapt itself to the natural behaviour of
the technology.

That has been the case, but it no longer needs to be the case. Even in
Latin script typography there has recently been a major rediscovery of
aspects of manuscript practice that were difficult to achieve under
earlier technologies. The use of contextual variants, for example, and
the application of Tom Milo's analytical approach to Arabic to aspects
of Latin script styles, e.g. the replacement of ligature glyphs with
combinations of specialised forms.

> My concern is not, and never has been to reproduce the finest Nasta'liq in a font. My concern is a technology that allows us to do so, therefore it allows us to respect the natural behaviour of our script, and from there, we just BEGIN to encounter a new world called typography.

Amen.

JH

Karine Megerdoomian

Jan 16, 2011, 12:05:34 AM1/16/11
to Persian Computing
I just wanted to point out that there was a talk a few years ago at the CAASL workshop (Computational Approaches to Arabic Script-based Languages) on the development of Urdu Nastaliq in the Linux environment. Other people on this list would be more qualified to judge the value of the approach, but I thought it was somewhat relevant to the discussion.

The paper I am referring to is the last one in the proceedings (p. 156) and it's called "Implementation of Reverse Chaining Mechanism in Pango for
Rendering Nastaliq Script" by Aamir Wali and Shafiq-ur-Rahman.

-Karine

Behnam

Jan 16, 2011, 1:35:04 PM1/16/11
to Karine Megerdoomian, Persian Computing
There was always continuous effort to reproduce the traditional writing in a font and in a text editor. In Iran, and more so in Pakistan. But in my view, the real issue is what I mentioned in my previous post. As long as I can't reproduce my ugly handwriting in a font (with reasonable effort) we have not resolved any problem at all.
The core engine of ACE is something that should be implemented in every browser, every text editor, every iPhone and text messaging devices, so that we finally find a friendly environment for our script. I still have some concerns about ACE implementation of kashidé, but these are minor issues compared to a major one which is the absolute necessity of implementing the natural behaviour of our script in digital world.
-b