The KFA Boston Business Email

1 view

Heliotrope

Sep 4, 2009, 12:25:06 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hey All:
Here is the business e-mail Mike promised. The business, at the
moment, basically boils down to the fact that, although Trish has been
amazing and gone completely beyond the call of duty, it looks like
UMass is backing out as a venue. Our understanding is that there were
some administrative changes and the new guys are no longer so sure
about hosting the event. Which means that at T-8 days, we have some
decision making to do.

The folks who were at the social (and suddenly somewhat planning
oriented) meeting put their heads together to see if they could think
of other places we could get to put on the event in such short order.
Possibilities are:

Emerson
MIT (in various guises)
bostonglass.org
Some possible commercial venues

And if worst comes to absolute worst, we can either:
Postpone the event or
Hold it outside in a park.

There are obvious disadvantages to alot of these plans, so the most
important goal of this email is a plea for help: If you know of
anyplace in the Boston Area that might be able to host the event, on
short notice, please speak up and contact them ASAP! Otherwise, please
weigh in with your thoughts on whether we should continue as planned,
come hell, or high water or a rainy day in the park, or whether we
should step back and set a later date for the event.

And if you work a freelance schedule, or aren't working right now, or
you're a student and classes are just starting up and you've still got
free time: if we're going to get a new venue, phone calls made
tomorrow could make or break us, so those of you with leeway or
without a 9-5, this could be your shining hour!

Thanks everybody!
Still hoping to see you the 12th,
Emma

maymay

Sep 4, 2009, 8:19:38 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I updated the KinkForAll Boston page to reflect this change. It would
be helpful at this late stage in the game to get the word out about
the event's needs through as many channels as possible. I would
suggest that whoever currently has access to the Boston twitter stream—
heliotrope and/or Mike AFAIK—should tweet about this ASAP.

It would also be beneficial if Trish or whoever else has details about
what *exactly* happened and also *why* UMass Boston is pulling out
could share that information in writing so that it, too, can be
disseminated, blogged, etc. (I'm sure that would make a great blog
post regardless, too.)

On Sep 3, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Heliotrope wrote:

> bostonglass.org

Minor note, it seems that www.bostonglass.or is the correct address
here (the no-www version doesn't work).

Good luck, and I will do what I can to help.

-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org
Volunteering: http://ConversioVirium.org/author/maymay

Trish Kitten

Sep 4, 2009, 8:23:45 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Heliotrope <ebg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All:
> Here is the business e-mail Mike promised. The business, at the
> moment, basically boils down to the fact that, although Trish has been
> amazing and gone completely beyond the call of duty, it looks like
> UMass is backing out as a venue. Our understanding is that there were
> some administrative changes and the new guys are no longer so sure
> about hosting the event. Which means that at T-8 days, we have some
> decision making to do.

As of this morning, we have a definite no from UMB. I'm very sad that
this has happened.

Trish

maymay

Sep 4, 2009, 8:27:17 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 4, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Trish Kitten wrote:

> As of this morning, we have a definite no from UMB. I'm very sad that
> this has happened.
>
> Trish

Trish, can you elaborate on the situation any? From our point of view,
it seemed that the venue was solid, then confirmed, and then suddenly
vanished.

Thanks,

Trish Kitten

Sep 4, 2009, 8:29:04 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM, maymay <bitethea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated the KinkForAll Boston page to reflect this change. It would
> be helpful at this late stage in the game to get the word out about
> the event's needs through as many channels as possible. I would
> suggest that whoever currently has access to the Boston twitter stream—
> heliotrope and/or Mike AFAIK—should tweet about this ASAP.
>
> It would also be beneficial if Trish or whoever else has details about
> what *exactly* happened and also *why* UMass Boston is pulling out
> could share that information in writing so that it, too, can be
> disseminated, blogged, etc. (I'm sure that would make a great blog
> post regardless, too.)

I would prefer to avoid publicizing it too much because I do not want
to be dragged into a political firestorm while I am trying to get my
degree. If I had a clear and concise explanation of what it was, I
would say "it was X," but it involved a bunch of interpersonal
politics that I am an outsider to, and don't feel comfortable
spreading around the Internet, especially pseudonymously.

Thanks,

Trish.

Trish Kitten

Sep 4, 2009, 8:31:40 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM, maymay <bitethea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Trish Kitten wrote:
>
>> As of this morning, we have a definite no from UMB. I'm very sad that
>> this has happened.
>>
>> Trish
>
> Trish, can you elaborate on the situation any? From our point of view,
> it seemed that the venue was solid, then confirmed, and then suddenly
> vanished.

There was a regime change in administration/coordination over the
summer, and the commitments to give space to the old regime were not
honored by the new regime. I spent a bunch of time arguing with them
over this but I get the impression they had already made their
decision before they told me about this yesterday. I am sorry that
there was not more that I could do.

Trish.

maymay

Sep 4, 2009, 8:57:22 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

That's unfortunate. I'd consider something like this a pretty stellar
opportunity to put a spotlight on the new UMass Boston
administration's stance on important issues like sexual education.
Currently, it looks pretty bad.

Nevertheless, your desire to be vague is…understandable. Thanks for
your efforts so far. I hope something else can be done. I'll be trying
to come up with something.

Cheers,

Trish Kitten

Sep 4, 2009, 9:15:35 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:57 AM, maymay <bitethea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2009, at 5:29 AM, Trish Kitten wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM, maymay <bitethea...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It would also be beneficial if Trish or whoever else has details
>>> about
>>> what *exactly* happened and also *why* UMass Boston is pulling out
>>> could share that information in writing so that it, too, can be
>>> disseminated, blogged, etc. (I'm sure that would make a great blog
>>> post regardless, too.)
>>
>> I would prefer to avoid publicizing it too much because I do not want
>> to be dragged into a political firestorm while I am trying to get my
>> degree. If I had a clear and concise explanation of what it was, I
>> would say "it was X," but it involved a bunch of interpersonal
>> politics that I am an outsider to, and don't feel comfortable
>> spreading around the Internet, especially pseudonymously.
>
> That's unfortunate. I'd consider something like this a pretty stellar
> opportunity to put a spotlight on the new UMass Boston
> administration's stance on important issues like sexual education.
> Currently, it looks pretty bad.

It would be, if that is what were going on. It's actually less about
sexual education --- UMB isn't perfect but they have a good record and
good people, or I wouldn't have pushed to have the event there --- and
more about things like "person X's feelings toward person Y" or
"different beliefs about models of authority and event planning."
These things are much harder to put a spotlight on, and while I think
doing so could be valuable, I don't think it's KFA's, or your, place
to do this. I understand that it makes them look bad and that's
something they (and I, as a student and organizer there) have to deal
with. But, honestly: UMB's internal politics are not the fight of
anyone here except for UMB students, and if you try to make them your
fight, you will come off badly and possibly hurt our chances to
improve things at UMB. KFA Boston hosting is our fight, but we have
lost that fight, and need to move on with planning an event and
looking for locations. I'm going to continue to be active at UMB,
trying to resolve these things in the long term.

I need to get to work, so this will be my last on this, at least for today.

Thank you,

Trish

maymay

Sep 4, 2009, 9:30:58 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 4, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Trish Kitten wrote:

> we have lost that fight, and need to move on with planning an event
> and
> looking for locations.

Agreed.

I sourced a suggestion[0] on Twitter this morning[1], and sent it
through just now since it came to me directly instead of here.

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/5b8924bfdbdf96d3
[1] https://twitter.com/maymaym

bostonpup

Sep 4, 2009, 10:46:36 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
From the discussion last night, it also sounds like UMass Boston also has not 100% ruled out us doing something if we start the process over with them and work toward a different date.  I'm hoping for a KFA Boston 2, and so that's one reason why I think we need to be careful not to take the rejection personally, not matter how disruptive is and no matter how offensive in might feel, no?

UMass Boston could be great future space, it could also be fertile ground for a KFA-like event run by students under a different organizational model.  I just don't see any benefit to burning bridges.  The goodwill that we might get from some sources by making a campaign out of this could easily be overwhelmed when other potential venues become wary of dealing us.  We want (and deserve) a good reputation in the sexuality community and that means taking the higher road and being gracious even when its hard.

Trish -- thank you SO much for fighting for us, and I'm sorry you got thrown in the middle of an in-going/out-going administrative dispute, and I hope you didn't have to sacrifice too much personal capital in the process.

Sara Eileen

Sep 4, 2009, 11:03:26 AM9/4/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Seconded. Hopefully we can continue to work with the new administration in a positive and gracious manner, especially if, as Trish describes, they're open to the kind of event we're looking to do.

Trish, let me add my thank you to Boston Pup's, here - it was fantastic of you to source this for everyone, and really unfortunate that it fell through. Hopefully we'll come up with something, and be able to come back to UMB for the second KFA Boston.

Cheers,
Sara Eileen

Syd

Sep 4, 2009, 11:29:20 AM9/4/09
to KinkForAll
I'm an Emerson student, and so while I kind of doubt that they would
be thrilled with hosting such a huge event last notice, I'll make some
phone calls today and see if I can convince Emerson to let us use
their Center for Student Life for KFABOS. It would really be a good
venue for it, lots of rooms, some big ones. Anyway, what information
should I know to tell Emerson? I'll look at the KFABOS page to see
how many people we estimate are coming, but is there anything else I
should know? Please, don't get your hopes up, but I'll call and see
what they say. I'll email this to kinkf...@googlegroups.com, too,
just in case it reaches someone faster.

Best,
Syd

Bitsy

Sep 6, 2009, 8:57:47 PM9/6/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I'm (just recently) a BU student, and I can try to talk to people at BU, and see what the feeling is.  I stoped by student activities today, but, predictably, they weren't in.  I'll try talking to people on Tuesday.

Also, most of the class rooms aren't lock on the weekend (so people can study in them), so there is always that...  I understand it is not desirable, however.

Bitsy

Sep 7, 2009, 11:41:22 AM9/7/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bitsy,
Thanks for checking for us! BU would be a great location, if you think you can swing it. I'm not sure whether open classrooms on weekends would work - the event stands to be at least 30 people, likely more, so I think we might make a bit of a ruckus, but again, whatever works.
Let us know what you find out tomorrow!
Best,
Emma

maymay

Sep 7, 2009, 11:43:56 AM9/7/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 7, 2009, at 10:51 AM, 9 wrote:

> I'm a UMASS Boston grad student and if you need any help at all with
> student representation to educate the university and petition for them
> to change their mind I am more than willing to do so. I could also
> probably get a faculty member or two to step forward as well. Let me
> know if I can help. - 9

9, thanks so much for offering to help us with this. I'm going to
suggest that you get in touch with Trish as soon as possible, as she's
our leading contact with UMass Boston; I'll send this over to her
privately myself to make sure she gets it ASAP as well.

I think your support on this with us would be extremely helpful and I
think I can safely speak for everyone when I say that we are extremely
happy to have you as part of our group.

Thanks,

9

Sep 8, 2009, 9:29:55 PM9/8/09
to KinkForAll
So it looks like UMASS-Boston might be on for this Saturday. I have
been working with the president of the Family Therapy Club and they
might be willing to be our sponsors and reserve the rooms. It needs to
be put before the club to make sure no one has a problem with it, but
it looks good. I talked with Trish and she told me write this up to
share some tentative good news. I might not know until tomorrow night
or maybe later, but I will keep everyone posted. I know my classmates
and I think they will support the idea and there are still rooms
available as of end of business today for Saturday. Hope to report
back soon with a solid yes. : )
--
9

maymay

Sep 8, 2009, 10:27:51 PM9/8/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 8, 2009, at 9:29 PM, 9 wrote:

> So it looks like UMASS-Boston might be on for this Saturday. I have
> been working with the president of the Family Therapy Club and they
> might be willing to be our sponsors and reserve the rooms. It needs to
> be put before the club to make sure no one has a problem with it, but
> it looks good. I talked with Trish and she told me write this up to
> share some tentative good news. I might not know until tomorrow night
> or maybe later, but I will keep everyone posted. I know my classmates
> and I think they will support the idea and there are still rooms
> available as of end of business today for Saturday. Hope to report
> back soon with a solid yes. : )
> --
> 9

That's really wonderful news, 9. :)

In light of this, I'd like to suggest that Wednesday at 8PM *not* be a
cut-off point for discovering the possibility of a new or rejuvenated
venue. It seems like, as the activity on this list and the emergence
of all this newfound support has shown, there are suddenly a lot more
people who are aware of KinkForAll Boston as an event and are watching
what happens. To that end, why don't we capitalize on the extra
publicity and the diversity that's emerged from it and keep pushing
for a Saturday, September 12th event even if we don't get a final go-
ahead by Wednesday at 8PM.

Cheers,

9

Sep 8, 2009, 10:38:11 PM9/8/09
to KinkForAll
Votes are coming in and things look good, but voting won't be over
till midnight tomorrow so I hope we are willing to move the cutoff
time till at least then. - 9

bostonpup

Sep 8, 2009, 11:32:31 PM9/8/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great, thanks 9 for making such an effort to resurrecting the UMass space!

I'm not sure where the "8 pm" cut off time that was mentioned comes from, but I think it pretty clear that if we've got a strong lead on a space we keep the flame burning.  Please keep us posted and let us know if there's anything the community can do to help!

maymay

Sep 9, 2009, 12:37:12 AM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:32 PM, bostonpup wrote:

> I'm not sure where the "8 pm" cut off time that was mentioned comes
> from

Mike, you suggested "Wednesday" early evening as a cut off time here:

http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/20bcd4bd50f11398#msg_e885bf210b0b6422

and then Iron Rose suggested that the cut off be specifically 8 PM here:

http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/20bcd4bd50f11398#msg_5e593a1dcbb8e52a

I'm glad we all seem to agree that a cut off, now that we have so many
options, seems like an premature decision.

Mz. Manduley

Sep 9, 2009, 12:48:39 PM9/9/09
to KinkForAll
Okay, so update--we have 3 rooms confirmed at Brown, all accessible
and disabled-person-friendly with a max capacity of 90 people each.
I'm pretty sure two are classrooms with movable chairs/desks and one
is an auditorium with seats that can't be moved. This is from
10AM-6PM. :) Please keep us updated as far as venues, because if I
have to cancel, I have to do so 48 hours in advance or get shanked,
lol.

On Sep 9, 12:37 am, maymay <bitetheappleb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:32 PM, bostonpup wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where the "8 pm" cut off time that was mentioned comes
> > from
>
> Mike, you suggested "Wednesday" early evening as a cut off time here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/20bcd4...
>
> and then Iron Rose suggested that the cut off be specifically 8 PM here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/20bcd4...

bostonpup

Sep 9, 2009, 12:54:26 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Great news!  It sounds like we hear from UMass Boston by midnight tonight.  Is tomorrow morning still in the danger-of-being-shanked zone, or is that enough time to cancel?

This is wonderful!

maymay

Sep 9, 2009, 1:37:08 PM9/9/09
to KinkForAll
On Sep 9, 12:54 pm, bostonpup <stray...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great news!
> […]
> This is wonderful!

Seconded! It's fantastic! I've updated the KinkForAll Boston[0] page
to reflect this latest information and have retweeted[1] KFABos's
update[2] on the situation as well.

I'm going to put out an update on the Facebook event, as well. What
else can we do to make sure people are aware that we'll have
*something* going on this Saturday?
EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllBoston
[1] http://identi.ca/notice/9725242
[2] http://twitter.com/KFABos/statuses/3867267345

Mz. Manduley

Sep 9, 2009, 6:31:13 PM9/9/09
to KinkForAll
Yeah, tomorrow morning as a deadline to tell me about Brown's venue
should work out :)

Life's kinda crazy right now and staying up to date with who has
written what and when is a little hard. ^_^ So, basically, someone let
me know if I should keep it or cancel. Also, if we're doing it here, I
have to start setting the promo gears in full motion, so again, the
sooner I know, the better. I'll mention it just in case at our Queer
Alliance Welcome Dinner tonight. :)

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 7:53:05 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had time to read through this thread, but I just talked to the Women's Resorce Center at Boston U, and they would be very happy to host KinkForAll there on Sat., if people still want it.

Let me know!

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 8:01:28 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Bitsy, this is amazing!  They're confirmed available for Saturday?  Do you have an idea of what the space is like?  (Is this an organization at BU, or does it have its own space?)

I think if we can get the space we're looking for (2 to 4 rooms, at least one room big enough for 50 or so people, lots of chairs in each room) and if this is definite, then we should definitely move ahead on this, unless UMass Boston comes through very soon.

Heliotrope

Sep 9, 2009, 8:04:22 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hey All:
It looks like due to everybody's fantastic work (thanks especially to Bitsy, Mz. Manduley and 9), we suddenly have more possible venues than we know what do with - we can only hold the event in one possible place.
Here's how I think we should work this:
If UMass comes through after all, we should definitely keep it there. That provides, in the end, the least confusion, and all of our current flyers will still be applicable.
If UMass does not come through, I'm strongly in favor of keeping the event in Boston, and therefore going with the BU Women's Resource Center, PROVIDED that their facilities will be adequate.
Bitsy: Do you happen to know how many rooms they could provide us? Even if it's just as many as two big enough for 20 people each, and especially if they will have internet as well, I am ALL in favor of this as our first back-up plan. If however, there is only one room available, or three rooms that are very small, then I think we should go with Brown, since we are guaranteed three more than adequate rooms.

In recap, my order of preference would be 1) UMass, 2) BU (assuming it can host us comfortably), 3) Brown, should BU's facilities be too limited.

Again, I am BLOWN AWAY by how the amazing effort that has come forth in the past week. You guys are amazing, amazing, amazing. Thanks for helping and for putting yourselves out there for us -- it inspires me to keep working hard. We all inspire each other, and that's how great events are made.

Best of the best,
Emma

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 8:19:25 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

The Women's Resource Centrer has its own space, they have one large room, big enough for at least 35 (I'm really bad at juging space), as well as another smaller room (big enough for 15) and a few 5-ish people rooms.  It is also near a few rooms it doesn't control, but are public.  Internet can likely be arranged.

My walking in there was completely serendipitous, so, I'm really happy to have been in the space now.

Bitsy

The Women's Resource Centrer has its own space, they have one large room, big enough for at least 35 (I'm really bad at juging space), as well as another smaller room (big enough for 15) and a few 5-ish people rooms.  It is also near a few rooms it doesn't control, but are public.  Internet can likely be arranged.

My walking in there was completely serendipitous, so, I'm really happy to have been in the space now.

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 9:06:31 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I agree.

-ironrose

bostonpup

Sep 9, 2009, 9:09:55 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Me as well!  Awesome work Bitsy!

When do you think you can get 100% confirmation from the Center that we're on for Saturday? :)  I don't want to start sounding the horn until we've gone back to them, said "Hey, that offer of yours, we accept!" and they are still smiling and saying "Great".  Once bit.... ;-)

:: very excited ::

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 10:04:21 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

I'm waiting to hear back from UMass before I say more however the person I talked to wants to go, no matter where it is.

Bitsy

Sep 9, 2009, 11:25:42 PM9/9/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:04 PM, Bitsy wrote:

I'm waiting to hear back from UMass before I say more however the person I talked to wants to go, no matter where it is.

Bitsy

Bitsy, as it seems UMAss Boston is concerned about their own policy for getting us chairs for the event, myself, Mike, Heliotrope, and Iron Rose all want to push forward with the event at Boston University in cooperation with the Women's Resource Center.

It seems we're ready to accept BU's hosting offer so all we need from you is the final green light. That and, of course, any details you can provide with regards to directions on how to get to the rooms the Women's Resource Center has reserved, as well as who to thank in addition to yourself for making this possible. :)

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 12:14:50 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I'll email the Centrer and get a go ahead.

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 12:31:08 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Since Bitsy still needs to confirm as well should we still go with
whoever gets this done first will go ahead and book the venue ? - 9

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 12:32:56 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I guess I should add:  The Women's Resource Center is in the basement of the GSU, http://www.bu.edu/gsu/main.html and http://www.bu.edu/gsu/location.html .  The stairs on the outside of the building (rather then the attractive main entrance) are the best way to get there.

BU is on the B branch of the green line (but is walkable from Kenmore, or you could take the 57 from Kenmore), and is on the 57, 47 and CT2 bus routes.  It is walkable, via the BU brige from parts of MIT.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:35:25 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten a confirm for most things, we are just talking about hours now.

Bitsy

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:32:56 AM

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 8:56:07 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 10, 2009, at 12:31 AM, Joshua Pearce wrote:

> Since Bitsy still needs to confirm as well should we still go with
> whoever gets this done first will go ahead and book the venue ? - 9

9, I'm throwing my two cents in since I haven't seen anyone respond to
your query since last night.

As long as you aren't backing yourself into a corner (or getting
yourself "shanked" by continuing, to use Mz. Manduley's phrase ;),
please keep trying to confirm things—otherwise, no, we are SO
appreciative of your efforts, but IMHO now's the time to start getting
the word out about the event with more specific information. It looks
like Bitsy has gotten everything we need at Boston University except
for specific hours, so we know we're set in Boston no matter what,
which is great.

I'd like to start getting the word out about the venue change ASAP—
which means today. I plan on using every channel at my disposal to
create as much awareness about the details as possible and I think
now's the time to encourage other people to do exactly the same.

HOWEVER: We need to make sure we're doing this without
*mis*information. So I'm going to start flyering around Providence by
modifying the flyers we have so that it ONLY gives web site info, not
physical location venue or timing info.

If other people chime in that they'd like to start getting the word
out about Boston University as the venue, and when we have more
information from Bitsy about the exact times, we should simply add
that information to the flyers, and so forth. (Please also remember
that if we have a venue from, say 11 AM, onwards, we should announce
event start time at about 11:30 AM to give us enough time to set up.)

Thanks,

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 9:11:16 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
For what it worth, if I (or anyone else) is going to put up fliers at BU, it seems prudent to only put up website info, as the Women's Resource Centrer does not want to draw attention to itself.  So, it be nice to keep a copy of this flier up.

Bitsy

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:56:07 AM

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 9:16:22 AM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Bitsy wrote:

For what it worth, if I (or anyone else) is going to put up fliers at BU, it seems prudent to only put up website info, as the Women's Resource Centrer does not want to draw attention to itself.  So, it be nice to keep a copy of this flier up.

Bitsy

That's very good to know! I'll be certain to avoid mentioning the Women's Resource Center explicitly in any material I create. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 11:39:58 AM9/10/09
to KinkForAll
All, an update:

* KFA Boston wiki page updates and venue finalizations:

I've added directions and additional location information to the
KinkForAll Boston main page. Now we have directions completed for any
possible venue we get. This way, you can keep showing people the same
http://tr.im/kfabos web address and regardless of what happens, they
will have the correct information. Whenever we get the 100% green
light and start sounding the horns on Boston University (or UMass I
guess is still an option, but we're cutting things pretty close to the
line now, aren't we?), we can simply delete the other info.

Mz. Manduley, since it's now past 11:30 AM, I have to assume that
you've cancelled our reservation at Brown University to avoid "getting
shanked." Thank you again for your efforts, and I can't wait to see
KinkForAll Providence, which, with your participation, I just know
will simply rock!

* BU's Women's Resource Center details and precautions:

Bitsy, you mentioned that we're going to have the "basement" of the
GSU available for our use. I found that on the GSU "capacities" page
there are additional details about the rooms we'll have, described as
"lower level." They sound pretty great, so again, big thank you.

http://www.bu.edu/gsu/capacities.html

You also mentioned that the Women's Resource Center "does not want to
draw attention to itself", so for the time being I've completely
avoided making any mention of that organization. Unless I hear
otherwise, I'm simply going to continue to call the venue by building
name (the "GSU").

When I did some digging, I discovered that the BU Women's Resource
Center (BUWRC) has a number of outlets of their own, including
http://Twitter.com/BUWRC and a Facebook group[0], among other
university-specific resources like event calendars. Do you think it
would be inappropriate for someone from this list to approach them and
ask for their help in getting the word out about this last-minute
event, or would that be drawing too much unwanted attention to them?

* Other efforts to get the word out

Now is when we really need to start making noise that this is actually
happening, that everyone should come, and that it's going to be a
rockin' good time. Please start talking this up to your friends and
sending them to the KFA Boston web page[1] so that they can sign up
and we can get a better idea of who to expect. If you've listed this
event elsewhere on the Internet, such as on FetLife or on your own
blog or anywhere, it's really important that you update that
information. Simply removing the location info and replacing it with a
line that reads

Location and timing information available at http://tr.im/kfabos

would be great. In the mean time, I'm going to print out a heap of
venue-less flyers[2] I just created and start plastering my
neighborhood with them

Finally, as a reminder, Mike started a great thread in which to
discuss logistics[3] which also still need to be addressed.

Thanks,
EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20069353165
[1] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllBoston
[2]
http://kinkforall.googlegroups.com/web/KinkForAll+Boston+Tear-Off+Flyer+(No-Venue).pdf?gda=TO69N2UAAAB57b5GEc4oTRni8_7PSiy2BIAFBYLpgmUYzRT7OL_cvrm3P0S3RFWRgklMEbb4fSmqUo51oU68nUQ-Hrq_Fk05OA51Uga75NZ8FWyd5YbEkByfxYhtaHnOp4Mq0MGarrsa7WIsd6qHDhllGPdGMn_4&gsc=8UoNpwsAAAAZykjU2DZo3b6Vq233xGSZ
[3] http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/e422248d644478ed

Viviane

Sep 10, 2009, 12:00:17 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
MayMay:

I'm a little confused about venue, etc. Could you please update the
Facebook KFA page? The last update was the event invite, which was
posted on 8/12. I'll also retweet the KFA tweets, etc.

Thanks,
Viviane

============
Viviane's Sex Carnival
A link blog about sex and sexuality
email: vivia...@gmail.com

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 12:05:47 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 10, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Viviane wrote:

> MayMay:
>
> I'm a little confused about venue, etc. Could you please update the
> Facebook KFA page? The last update was the event invite, which was
> posted on 8/12. I'll also retweet the KFA tweets, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Viviane

I updated the KinkForAll Boston Facebook event before I sent the
previous email.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119612582314

Note the location information has been changed to read "More location
info at…"

Cheers,

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 6:22:56 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
We have the space from 10am-5pm. So, starting at 10:30am? Internet, if someone can bring a network cable and a wireless router, we should be able to make something work.

Re the stuff below:
I think that mention the organization on the website, but not on other fliers, etc. is OK, but it won't be on any map, so call it the GSU will actually help people find the place. I will ask them if they will put something up on facebook and twiter.

Bitsy

bostonpup

Sep 10, 2009, 6:42:48 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Cheers!!!
--
Sent from my mobile device

Heliotrope

Sep 10, 2009, 6:54:52 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Bitsy you're spectacular. This is perfect timing. I will therefore be
MIA for the list for most of the night, as I get my sweet patootie out
and flyer the ever-loving-bejesus out of Providence. When you've got
it, more info regarding parking, internet, ability to bring in food,
availability of chairs/tables/electrical outlets (I know I'm asking a
lot, here), would be spectacular. But whatever there is will be great
-- we will make it work.
Thank you thank you thank you!
So excited!
Emma

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 7:03:54 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:42 PM, bostonpup wrote:

> Cheers!!!

How about 3 (cheers)? :D

On 9/10/09, Bitsy <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have the space from 10am-5pm. So, starting at 10:30am?

That sounds perfect to me. I'll update the flyers, Facebook event,
wiki pages, and hCalendar event export data immediately.

> Internet, if
> someone can bring a network cable and a wireless router, we should
> be able
> to make something work.

I can bring a spare wireless router and network cable, but only one.
I'd like to get as many of our rooms covered with free Wi-Fi as
possible, which means it would be very helpful if other people could
also bring some spare networking gear. If anyone else can bring
networking equipment or any equipment of any kind, please add it to
the KinkForAll Boston Inventory page[0] so we can more efficiently
coordinate what we'll have to work with on the day of.

On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Heliotrope wrote:

> When you've got it, more info regarding parking, internet, ability
> to bring in food,
> availability of chairs/tables/electrical outlets (I know I'm asking a
> lot, here), would be spectacular.

Another item of interest is whether or not digital projectors are
available or if we will need to source them ourselves. We've just
gotten a generous offer from hot_shot_315 on the wiki about this[1],
and it looks like hot_shot_315 is asking for a personal from one of
us; who wants to reach out and follow up with this person?

Also, if there's anything we need logistically that we haven't taken
care of yet, it should be added to the Needs List[2] on the event
homepage so that everyone who's signed up for KinkForAll Boston can
know.

On 9/10/09, Bitsy <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Re the stuff below:
> I think that mention the organization on the website, but not on other
> fliers, etc. is OK, but it won't be on any map, so call it the GSU
> will
> actually help people find the place. I will ask them if they will put
> something up on facebook and twiter.
>
> Bitsy

Ah, that's awesome. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Cheers,

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllBostonInventory
[1] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllBoston#comment1252623328
[2] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllBoston#Needslist

maymay

Sep 10, 2009, 7:56:22 PM9/10/09
to KinkForAll
Hi everyone; this is just a ping to let you know I updated our tear-
off flyer with the finalized info. You can find it here:

http://kinkforall.googlegroups.com/web/KinkForAll+Boston+Tear-Off+Flyer.pdf?gda=9p940FYAAAB57b5GEc4oTRni8_7PSiy2-BnfpjXnKyKPQjud96tniLm3P0S3RFWRgklMEbb4fSnt_Rz0hBmk_Wouepayt56AuKs5kcsO6REWGyCG01VUCBPhGuxsWDLdLep2NLleRSE&gsc=xYN8KwsAAAALCFjGHYoGyhCH8AuL4eZy

If you're anywhere in New England, please print some of these out
tonight and put them up in your neighborhood tonight or tomorrow. I
know it's short notice, but that's exactly why every little bit
counts.

Printing tip: Set your printer options to print "borderless" (or with
"no margins") and, if possible, also to "scale to fit paper size." You
get a perfect flyer that way. :)

Bitsy

Sep 10, 2009, 9:21:46 PM9/10/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
"regarding parking, internet, ability to bring in food, availability of chairs/tables/electrical outlets, projector"

Parking: well, um, I don't have a car. There is some meter parking around BU. I found this site: http://www.bu.edu/parking/parking-2/
Internet: there is wireless which you need a BU username and password to get on. Since you can also muck with my tuition bill with mine, not giving it out. I think with a wireless router we can set something up.
Food: bring all you like
Chair /tables / electrical outlets: there are some. I don't know what else to say.
Projector: I'm guessing they don't have one, but I'm not 100% on that.

I just wanted to say I'm so happy about this. That is all.