Linux and World Class Recording.

Moshe

Apr 22, 2010, 6:42:32 PM4/22/10
Will these world class instruments work with Linux?

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/alicias-keys/

http://www.galaxypianos.com/

http://www.synthogy.com/

http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=56

http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=55

http://www.scarbee.com/products/index.php

What about these world class effects plugins?

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/home.htm

http://www.uaudio.com/

No you say?

Too bad for Linux.......

JEDIDIAH

Apr 28, 2010, 2:20:08 PM4/28/10
On 2010-04-22, Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will these world class instruments work with Linux?

> http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/alicias-keys/
>
> http://www.galaxypianos.com/

These appear to be cloners. What's so "world class" about cloners?

Why not just buy what they're trying to clone?

[deletia]

--

Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

DFS

Apr 28, 2010, 5:49:56 PM4/28/10
On 4/28/2010 2:20 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2010-04-22, Moshe<goldee_l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Will these world class instruments work with Linux?
>>
>> ***************************************************
>>
>> http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/alicias-keys/
>>
>> http://www.galaxypianos.com/
>
> These appear to be cloners. What's so "world class" about cloners?
>
> Why not just buy what they're trying to clone?

How ironic this is, coming from a Linux "advocate".

Moshe

Apr 28, 2010, 5:57:01 PM4/28/10

Jed is a complete idiot.....

Why not buy what they are cloning?

I guess Jed hasn't taken a look at the price of a Steinway D or a
Yamaha C these days.

I have an ancient Steinway B with upgraded action and it's been
appraised conservatively at well over $100k.

Jed probably wouldn't hear the difference in sound between a
Steinway and a Kimball that he won on a game show like "The Price
is Right".

An I can guarentee you that he can't tell the difference between a
sampled piano and a real one.

Hint: Alcia keys latest album was done exclusively with the NI
Alicia Keys samples.....
He could never tell and neither could Marti or HPT.

So much for Linux....

JEDIDIAH

Apr 29, 2010, 4:31:23 PM4/29/10
On 2010-04-28, Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:49:56 -0400, DFS wrote:

>>> These appear to be cloners. What's so "world class" about cloners?
>>>
>>> Why not just buy what they're trying to clone?
>>

>> How ironic this is, coming from a Linux "advocate".
>
> Jed is a complete idiot.....
>
> Why not buy what they are cloning?

Read the webpage. It's right there on front.

> I guess Jed hasn't taken a look at the price of a Steinway D or a
> Yamaha C these days.

Plenty of things are expensive. It doesn't make them "world class".

[deletia]

Philistine conspicous consumers shouldn't throw stones.

--
iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
/ | \

High Plains Thumper

May 7, 2010, 3:00:18 PM5/7/10
JEDIDIAH wrote:

> Moshe wrote:
>
>> I guess Jed hasn't taken a look at the price of a Steinway D or a
>> Yamaha C these days.
>
> Plenty of things are expensive. It doesn't make them "world class".
>
> [deletia]
>
> Philistine conspicuous consumers shouldn't throw stones.

I saw the last video of Michael Jackson, "This is It!" on a friends high
def. big screen and Dolby[tm] sound (he likes to do DJ type stuff).
What were they using for trumpets, brass, woodwinds? A set
of keyboards, no PC in sight.

These are world class musicians. This is what the real world does for
performances. Last thing they want is for a Windows PC to crash on them.

--
HPT

Moshe

May 7, 2010, 3:13:15 PM5/7/10
On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:00:18 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> Moshe wrote:
>>
>>> I guess Jed hasn't taken a look at the price of a Steinway D or a
>>> Yamaha C these days.
>>
>> Plenty of things are expensive. It doesn't make them "world class".
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>> Philistine conspicuous consumers shouldn't throw stones.
>
> I saw the last video of Michael Jackson, "This is It!" on a friends high
> def. big screen and Dolby[tm] sound (he likes to do DJ type stuff).
> What were they using for trumpets, brass, woodwinds? A set
> of keyboards, no PC in sight.

Of course not.
If they are using triggered samples, the systems are off stage.
A friend of mine used to tour with Michael and the Jackson's.

> These are world class musicians. This is what the real world does for
> performances. Last thing they want is for a Windows PC to crash on them.

Live performances have different requirements than a recording
session.
In a live performance played under less than ideal conditions,
which is 99 percent of them, nobody is going to know the
difference between horn patch A7 on a Korg or a sample of Chris
Hein horns.

http://chrishein.net/CHH%20V1.5/chhv1_productsite.htm

(Forget it HPT, you can't afford them)

Even still, many acts have multiple computers that are used to
trigger samples, run AutoTune and such.

Others use devices like The Receptor to run their instruments.

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2.php

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php?r=onstage

Forget it HPT, you can't afford one.

But of course being the "professional" you are, you already knew
that.

My advice to you HPT and even more so Jeddiah, is to stick to what
you know about, compiling Linux kernels, and stay far away from
professional audio, video or music creation because you really
don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Hey do you have a "styles" disk for Cajun music?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!

High Plains Thumper

May 8, 2010, 9:07:23 AM5/8/10
On 05/07/2010 01:13 PM, Moshe wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Plenty of things are expensive. It doesn't make them "world
>>> class".
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>>
>>> Philistine conspicuous consumers shouldn't throw stones.
>>
>> I saw the last video of Michael Jackson, "This is It!" on a friends
>> high def. big screen and Dolby[tm] sound (he likes to do DJ type
>> stuff). What were they using for trumpets, brass, woodwinds? A
>> set of keyboards, no PC in sight.
>
> Of course not.
> If they are using triggered samples, the systems are off stage. A
> friend of mine used to tour with Michael and the Jackson's.

Who are you trying to kid, flatfish? Who believes you? So you're
telling me that the industry standard for live concerts are triggered
sounds through karaoke midi backing tracks?

>> These are world class musicians. This is what the real world does
>> for performances. Last thing they want is for a Windows PC to
>> crash on them.
>
> Live performances have different requirements than a recording
> session.
> In a live performance played under less than ideal conditions,
> which is 99 percent of them, nobody is going to know the difference
> between horn patch A7 on a Korg or a sample of Chris Hein horns.

Horse puckey. There are more to creating sounds than simple
digitisations of sounds. Sustain - Attack - Release. To mimic an
instrument exactly requires mimicking that instrument exactly. Even my
GEM 2K2HD Midi Arranger patched to a keyboard controller mimicks the
saxophone transition from throat register B natural to C natural with a
slight blip like the real sax. (One has to flip fingers from index for
B to next for C.)

Your logic also discounts that many performances done live are produced
as purchasable media.

> http://chrishein.net/CHH%20V1.5/chhv1_productsite.htm
>
> (Forget it HPT, you can't afford them)

Why would I want those patches, when the modern keyboard (and I am not
talking about the Casios you keep referring to in an effort to debase
anyone who talks keyboards to you) does an adequate job?

> Even still, many acts have multiple computers that are used to
> trigger samples, run AutoTune and such.
>
> Others use devices like The Receptor to run their instruments.
>
> http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2.php
>
> http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php?r=onstage
>
> Forget it HPT, you can't afford one.

[quote]
NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME
by Royally Ticked from USA
August 27, 2009
Music Background: Pro Musician
Heavens help you should you decide to go with this piece.

Not only is it buggy, but it also can only be controlled by one USB
device at a time....despite the presence of several ports!
It crashes repeatedly in Kontakt using the Remote Viewer.

There are no XLR's in or out, as one would hope for on a top shelf piece.

Some of the guys in the company when you call for support are GREAT, and
I've told them that, but others are RUDE. Processing a refund directly
through them was a nightmare! The only upside to buying it through
Sweetwater is their customer service is uniformly excellent.

I would not be posting such a negative review had this piece not A) Cost
me the bulk of the gig I purchased it for by being unreliable and taking
up way too much time in tech support, and B) If they had a better
attitude over at the parent company. They really need to remember that
they might be engineers, but customers pay their bills. A few niceties
and social graces would help a LOT.
[/quote]

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R2Pro/

> But of course being the "professional" you are, you already knew
> that.
>
> My advice to you HPT and even more so Jeddiah, is to stick to what
> you know about, compiling Linux kernels, and stay far away from
> professional audio, video or music creation because you really don't
> have a clue what you are talking about.
>
> Hey do you have a "styles" disk for Cajun music?
>
> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!

This is from the character who a rec.audio.pro poster had this to say:

Erin Mungan (flatfish): "For the record, I would love to see Linux break
into this area but it is not there and is not even close and all signs
unfortunately lead to a dead end."
Scott Dorsey: "Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this
somewhere else.
Erin Mungan (flatfish): "Comments, discussion... ?"
Scott Dorsey: "Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro." 19 Dec 2009

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4691155f2394d263

For someone who claims to have an electrical engineering degree and
plays professionally, you are full of it.

--
HPT

Chris Ahlstrom

May 8, 2010, 10:32:23 AM5/8/10
High Plains Thumper pulled this Usenet boner:

> On 05/07/2010 01:13 PM, Moshe wrote:
>

> <hoo kares?>

> This is from the character who a rec.audio.pro poster had this to say:
>
> Erin Mungan (flatfish): "For the record, I would love to see Linux break
> into this area but it is not there and is not even close and all signs
> unfortunately lead to a dead end."
> Scott Dorsey: "Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this
> somewhere else.
> Erin Mungan (flatfish): "Comments, discussion... ?"
> Scott Dorsey: "Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro." 19 Dec 2009
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4691155f2394d263
>
> For someone who claims to have an electrical engineering degree and
> plays professionally, you are full of it.

I dunno, maybe we should ask his friend Taylor Swift if she has a friend who
lives in New York, used to work for IBM, plays music, and pisses all over
Linux users.

--
You may be recognized soon. Hide.

High Plains Thumper

May 8, 2010, 11:34:59 AM5/8/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> High Plains Thumper pulled:

>> Moshe (flatfish) wrote:
>>
>> <hoo kares?>
>>
>> This is from the character who a rec.audio.pro poster had this to
>> say:
>>
>> Erin Mungan (flatfish): "For the record, I would love to see Linux
>> break into this area but it is not there and is not even close and
>> all signs unfortunately lead to a dead end."
>> Scott Dorsey: "Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this
>> somewhere else.
>> Erin Mungan (flatfish): "Comments, discussion... ?"
>> Scott Dorsey: "Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro." 19 Dec
>> 2009
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4691155f2394d263
>>
>> For someone who claims to have an electrical engineering degree and
>> plays professionally, you are full of it.
>
> I dunno, maybe we should ask his friend Taylor Swift if she has a
> friend who lives in New York, used to work for IBM, plays music, and
> pisses all over Linux users.

And boasts of operating a $5,000 US home recording studio with over
$1,200 US in professional sound digitisations, expensive pre and post
processing software to make karaoke midi backing tracks for professional
singers.

The home garage mechanic who buys several $1,000 US in Snap On
professional tools, because it makes him "professional".

Heh!

--
HPT

DFS

May 8, 2010, 12:40:04 PM5/8/10

Where did Moshe say she makes karaoke tracks, liar?

<now slink away>

> The home garage mechanic who buys several $1,000 US in Snap On
> professional tools, because it makes him "professional".
>
> Heh!

Moshe is a professional musician, so what are you laughing about, fatass?

<and slink again>

High Plains Thumper

May 8, 2010, 11:57:21 PM5/8/10
DFS wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I dunno, maybe we should ask his friend Taylor Swift if she has a
>>> friend who lives in New York, used to work for IBM, plays music,
>>> and pisses all over Linux users.
>>
>> And boasts of operating a $5,000 US home recording studio with over
>> $1,200 US in professional sound digitisations, expensive pre and
>> post processing software to make karaoke midi backing tracks for
>> professional singers.
>
> Where did Moshe say she makes karaoke tracks, liar? <now slink away>

"She" LOL, blatant lie.

Flatfish nymshift as "Singer":

[quote]
Singer wrote:
> philicorda wrote:
>> Singer wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Linux is a good solution for some things, making music isn't one
>>> of them.
>>
>> Have you tried any of the music software on Linux?
>
> Yes I have. It took me 3 days just to get Jack running without Xruns
> on a Delta 1010.
>
> Then there was Ardour crashing intermittantly on a save.

http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=1865#bugnotes

[quote]
ID: 0001865 [ardour] bugs crash always 09-11-07 14:23
Reporter sebos69
Assigned To paul
Priority normal Resolution fixed
Status resolved
Product Version 2.0
Summary 0001865: ardour crashes when loading session
Description With ardour 2.05 SVN

when I try to re-open a saved session, ardour crashes without any
message (only "segmentation fault"

I join the saved session, this is the only information I have....
[/quote]

[quote]
Notes (0004354) sebos69 09-11-07 18:44

Nevermind, the crash disappeared after an upgrade... you can delete the
bug. Sorry for the noise
[/quote]

> Of course that was after realizing I had to run all these things as
> root to get priority.

http://ardour.org/system_requirements

[quote]
It is not possible for regular users on a normal Linux system to get
solid realtime performance, and so to avoid having to run all your audio
software as root (a very bad idea), there is a second kernel patch that
is very desirable. This is the "capabilities" patch. Its very small, but
it allows ordinary users to gain access to the powerful real-time
scheduling policies and memory locking of the Linux kernel.
[/quote]

> Then I was getting sample mismatch and "device already in use"
> messages which is where I discovered that there is a difference
> between "Default" and Hw0:0, despite Hw0:0 BEING default or something
> like that. Then of course I learned that arts is not really the same
> as artsd or whatever the server version is called. I don't remember,
> but I had to kill some sound process to get Jack to even run.
>
> Linux has way too many sound drivers, just like Linux has way to many
> versions.

Oh, really?

> All it does is confuse things for the user. I never did get it to run
> in realtime mode.
>
> And like I said the interface with Ardour is terrible. Rosegarden
> isn't too bad but it's no Cubase. And what about the list of plugins
> I listed, like Ivory or control surfaces and firewire interfaces?

Current version of Cubase full is $1,000 US.

> I gave up on Linux and audio after screwing with it for about 5 days.
> Why bother? Like the typical Linux application you'll spend all your
> time screwing around trying to make it work instead of actually using
> it.
>
> I installed Nuendo in 10 minutes and was up and running. Linux is at
> least 10 years behind the other platforms when it comes to music and
> audio and until the powers that control Linux's destiny decide to
> settle on one sound system, it will remain that way.

Nuendo 3 is $2,500 US.

I have a couple comments.

Pricey proprietary applications will always have nice features in them.
This is expected, the provider does this to meet needs and is warranted
to be compensated for them.

However, pricey products does not a professional make.

Linux available tools mentioned above along with other Linux
applications meet niches, have professional developers and sponsors.
Some of it is provided as a labour of love.

In some ways it may miss some "spit and polish". However, they can be
made to work, require a little more work, but IMHO, once one has gotten
them up and running, can accomplish significant work.

Example, to create professional results, a photographer on a budget can
make do with a Yashica FX3 manual SLR, selectively purchased cost
effective lenses, high powered budget minded flashes (Vivitar 285), home
made PVC flash stands, aluminised home builder's foam board for
reflectors, etc. (BTDT). He doesn't need 5K quid worth of equipment.

Another example, a musician does not need a professional model Yamaha
saxophone costing $5K US to produce professional results. Yes, that sax
will have slightly smoother action, perhaps a little better intonation
(in tune) through its range and a slightly better tone
(indistinquishable to the average listener). I've played Buffet pro
clarinets from the '70s that did not play in tune. I had to play them
in tune. First clarinet that played in tune was a Selmer Bundy beginner
model plastic clarinet of the '80s. Expensive equipment does not a
professional make.

Not all of us have the financial resources to purchase high end hardware
and software applications. That will not stop us from producing high
quality results.

If you do not have the patience to select the appropriate operating
system or patches for real time work, spending a little time in setting
up the environment, making use of the different available tools to
accomplish same result and imagination, by all means, invest $5,000 US
into your home studio.

For the rest of us who work and do this as a hobby, or even professional
who have a niche to meet and budget to manage, we will make these cost
effective tools and applications work. We don't need an investment
portfolio to fund our projects.
[/quote]

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f8ff83eaf9d28393

>> The home garage mechanic who buys several $1,000 US in Snap On
>> professional tools, because it makes him "professional". Heh!
>
> Moshe is a professional musician,

Oh, yeah, sure.

Erin Mungan (flatfish): "For the record, I would love to see Linux break
into this area but it is not there and is not even close and all signs
unfortunately lead to a dead end."
Scott Dorsey: "Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this
somewhere else.
Erin Mungan (flatfish): "Comments, discussion... ?"
Scott Dorsey: "Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro." 19 Dec 2009

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4691155f2394d263

> so what are you laughing about, fatass? <and slink again>

Ad hominem.

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

May 10, 2010, 7:38:04 PM5/10/10

<Crickets chirping!>

Heh!

--
HPT

DFS

May 11, 2010, 10:35:50 AM5/11/10
On 5/10/2010 7:38 PM, High Plains Thumper wrote:

>> Ad hominem.
>
> <Crickets chirping!>
>
> Heh!

Most of your posts are silly whines about the FAQ and Comes vs
Microsoft, and aren't worth responding to.

Go over to rec.audio.pro and you'll see many Moshe posts, and it's 100%
clear she's a working, professional musician well-versed in music software.

Peter Köhlmann

May 11, 2010, 10:58:52 AM5/11/10
DFS wrote:

You mean that same rec.audio.pro where they just told flatfish to get lost
for good?

The only things that habitual liar is anything "professional" is lying and
trolling. Maybe stealing some software now and then. And making the odd
racist slurs

--
Just out of curiosity does this actually mean something or have some
of the few remaining bits of your brain just evaporated?

High Plains Thumper

May 11, 2010, 8:18:16 PM5/11/10
Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> DFS wrote:
>
>> Most of your posts are silly whines about the FAQ and Comes vs
>> Microsoft, and aren't worth responding to.
>>
>> Go over to rec.audio.pro and you'll see many Moshe posts, and it's
>> 100% clear she's a working, professional musician well-versed in
>> music software.

"She", professional, LOL. What a troll.

> You mean that same rec.audio.pro where they just told flatfish to get
> lost for good?
>
> The only things that habitual liar is anything "professional" is
> lying and trolling. Maybe stealing some software now and then. And
> making the odd racist slurs

Following along the conversation reveals exactly what flatfish is, a "me
too" fraud. A professional is recognised by what they can perform. An
expensive professional instrument and high cost hardware and software do
not a musician make.

A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.

An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still sound
like an amateur.

Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.

--
HPT

Terry Porter

May 11, 2010, 9:17:29 PM5/11/10
On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:18:16 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> DFS wrote:
>>
>>> Most of your posts are silly whines about the FAQ and Comes vs
>>> Microsoft, and aren't worth responding to.
>>>
>>> Go over to rec.audio.pro and you'll see many Moshe posts, and it's
>>> 100% clear she's a working, professional musician well-versed in music
>>> software.

Yea I can remember when Elton John and lots of other famous, successful
musicians used to troll on COLA ....

Oh wait ..... they never did because they are too busy writing, composing
and performing to EVER be trolls.

> "She", professional, LOL. What a troll.

Yeah, is DFS really that brain dead ?

Guess so.

>> You mean that same rec.audio.pro where they just told flatfish to get
>> lost for good?

Yes, that one :)

>> The only things that habitual liar is anything "professional" is lying
>> and trolling. Maybe stealing some software now and then. And making the
>> odd racist slurs

That's the flathead troll. All it will be remembered for are the
attributes you have just named.

> Following along the conversation reveals exactly what flatfish is, a "me
> too" fraud. A professional is recognised by what they can perform. An
> expensive professional instrument and high cost hardware and software do
> not a musician make.
>
> A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.

So true. True talent speaks all by itself.

> An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still sound
> like an amateur.
>
> Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.

However, a total lack of personal redeeming qualities, doth a troll make.

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Archlinux 2009.08 X86_64 and posting via
Pan.

High Plains Thumper

May 12, 2010, 9:49:55 PM5/12/10
Terry Porter wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Yea I can remember when Elton John and lots of other famous,
> successful musicians used to troll on COLA .... Oh wait ..... they
> never did because they are too busy writing, composing and performing
> to EVER be trolls.

LOL! Bingo!

>> "She", professional, LOL. What a troll.
>
> Yeah, is DFS really that brain dead ? Guess so.

Yup.

>>> You mean that same rec.audio.pro where they just told flatfish to
>>> get lost for good?
>
> Yes, that one :)

Heheh ...

>>> The only things that habitual liar is anything "professional" is
>>> lying and trolling. Maybe stealing some software now and then.
>>> And making the odd racist slurs
>
> That's the flathead troll. All it will be remembered for are the
> attributes you have just named.

Concur.

>> Following along the conversation reveals exactly what flatfish is,
>> a "me too" fraud. A professional is recognised by what they can
>> perform. An expensive professional instrument and high cost
>> hardware and software do not a musician make.
>>
>> A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.
>
> So true. True talent speaks all by itself.

Of course. Give a professional photographer a point and shoot camera,
the pictures will look professionally composed and exposed. The key is
the artist, the equipment although it helps has little to do with it.

>> An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still
>> sound like an amateur.
>>
>> Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.
>
> However, a total lack of personal redeeming qualities, doth a troll
> make.

Yes. That goes for all our COLA trolls without exception.

--
HPT

Hank

May 12, 2010, 10:46:59 PM5/12/10
<h...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> A professional is recognised by what they can perform. An
>expensive professional instrument and high cost hardware and software do
>not a musician make.

Wanna bet?
Ever read a contract for an artist giving a concert?

>A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.

Wrong.
While it will sound better in the hands of a professional, it will
still sound like a plastic Bundy clarinet.

>An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still sound
>like an amateur.

True but the converse is not true.

>Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.

Of course it's not the equipment alone.
So why don't professionals play crap instruments and save themselves a
lot of money?
The reason is because the instruments, the tools, the software, the
gear makes a huge difference.
You seem to be a bitter Linux user who is stuck with the poor set of
tools that Linux offers and have a chip on your shoulder for people
who can afford professional level tools.
Or maybe you are a rank amateur who has flunked out of the music
business and is blaming everyone for your own lack of talent.

Do you have a site where we can hear what contributions you have made
to the world of music? Somehow I have my doubts, but what kind of gear
are you using and what is your experience level?

Linux and world class recording are an oxymoron.

Charles Griggs

May 13, 2010, 12:03:38 AM5/13/10
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:46:59 -0400, Hank wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:18:16 -0600, High Plains Thumper
> <h...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A professional is recognised by what they can perform. An
>>expensive professional instrument and high cost hardware and software do
>>not a musician make.
>
> Wanna bet?
> Ever read a contract for an artist giving a concert?

Everything from the food catered to the brand of piano.
Racks and stacks are also included as well as dressing area and so
forth.

>>A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.
>
> Wrong.
> While it will sound better in the hands of a professional, it will
> still sound like a plastic Bundy clarinet.

This guy sounds like an idiot.
Jean-Pierre Rampal will sound like shit on a cheap flute which is
why he doesn't play one.
He won't risk compromising his career playing a shit instrument.
There is a lot more to music than being able to hit the notes.
A well tuned Steinway will always sound better than some clapped
out bar room honky tonk.

>>An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still sound
>>like an amateur.
>
> True but the converse is not true.

This High Plains Thumper sounds like a poser.

>>Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.
> Of course it's not the equipment alone.
> So why don't professionals play crap instruments and save themselves a
> lot of money?
> The reason is because the instruments, the tools, the software, the
> gear makes a huge difference.
> You seem to be a bitter Linux user who is stuck with the poor set of
> tools that Linux offers and have a chip on your shoulder for people
> who can afford professional level tools.
> Or maybe you are a rank amateur who has flunked out of the music
> business and is blaming everyone for your own lack of talent.
>
> Do you have a site where we can hear what contributions you have made
> to the world of music? Somehow I have my doubts, but what kind of gear
> are you using and what is your experience level?
>
> Linux and world class recording are an oxymoron.

Linux users are nasty people in general.
They want all their software for free and attack people who
willingly pay for quality software.
Tell me where is the Linux equivalent for Protools?
I don't see one.
Does it even exist?
One thing about Linux users is that they think everyone on earth
sees things their way.
Most people don't which is why Linux is a niche operating system.

Wintrolls Lie

May 13, 2010, 12:38:54 AM5/13/10
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:46:59 -0400, Hank wrote:

<snip drivel>

Hmm, crossposted to rec.audio.pro, posts using Aioe.org, moshe /
flatfish comments snipped ...

Hi moshe / flatfish / ...

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2010/02/m0she.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Hank

May 13, 2010, 12:44:34 AM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 04:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Wintrolls Lie
<wintro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:46:59 -0400, Hank wrote:
>
><snip drivel>
>
>Hmm, crossposted to rec.audio.pro, posts using Aioe.org, moshe /
>flatfish comments snipped ...
>
>Hi moshe / flatfish / ...

http://pipl.com/search/?FirstName=George&LastName=Hostler&City=Clovis&State=NM&Country=US&CategoryID=2&Interface=46

High Plains Thumper

May 13, 2010, 1:10:32 AM5/13/10

From: Charles Griggs <griggsk...@cox.net>
posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";

From: Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com>
posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/8bd05879c2147667

Yup, it's flatfish.

> Hank wrote:
>
> <SNIP>

>> Linux and world class recording are an oxymoron.
>
> Linux users are nasty people in general.
> They want all their software for free and attack people who willingly
> pay for quality software.
> Tell me where is the Linux equivalent for Protools?
> I don't see one.
> Does it even exist?
> One thing about Linux users is that they think everyone on earth sees
> things their way.
> Most people don't which is why Linux is a niche operating system.

Yup, it's flatfish.

Erin Mungan (flatfish): "For the record, I would love to see Linux break
into this area but it is not there and is not even close and all signs
unfortunately lead to a dead end."
Scott Dorsey: "Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this
somewhere else.
Erin Mungan (flatfish): "Comments, discussion... ?"
Scott Dorsey: "Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro." 19 Dec 2009

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/4691155f2394d263

--
HPT

Marti van Lin

May 13, 2010, 2:38:55 AM5/13/10
Op 12-05-10 03:17, Terry Porter wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:18:16 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Yea I can remember when Elton John and lots of other famous, successful
> musicians used to troll on COLA ....
>
> Oh wait ..... they never did because they are too busy writing, composing
> and performing to EVER be trolls.

I don't understand why people believe Flatso's nonsense. Karaoke is
something in the amateur area and has nothing to do with professionals.

Flatso's bs about his work for "professional Karaoke singers" is
simply pathetic, because there is no such thing as a professional
karaoke singer.

Karaoke is singing popular songs in a club, where the song text is
projected on a large screen.

.KAR files are freely available all over the web no composition is
involved. They are more or less extended .MID files.

[quote]

Karaoke (カラオケ?, a portmanteau of Japanese kara 空 "empty," and
ōkesutora オーケストラ "orchestra")[1](English pronunciation:
/ˌkæriːˈoʊkiː/; Japanese: [kaɽaoꜜke] ( listen)) is a form of
interactive entertainment or video game in which amateur singers sing
along with recorded music (and/or a music video) using a microphone
and public address system. The music is typically a well-known pop
song minus the lead vocal. Lyrics are usually displayed on a video
screen, along with a moving symbol or changing color and/or music
video images, to guide the singer. In some countries, a karaoke box is
called a KTV. Due to its English pronunciation, it is sometimes
incorrectly spelled "kareoke". It is also a term used by recording
engineers translated as "empty track" meaning there is no vocal track.

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke

>> "She", professional, LOL. What a troll.
>
> Yeah, is DFS really that brain dead ?
>
> Guess so.
>

>>> You mean that same rec.audio.pro where they just told flatfish to get
>>> lost for good?
>
> Yes, that one :)
>

>>> The only things that habitual liar is anything "professional" is lying
>>> and trolling. Maybe stealing some software now and then. And making the
>>> odd racist slurs

See the definition of Karaoke above, simply laughable ;-)

> That's the flathead troll. All it will be remembered for are the
> attributes you have just named.
>

>> Following along the conversation reveals exactly what flatfish is, a "me
>> too" fraud. A professional is recognised by what they can perform. An
>> expensive professional instrument and high cost hardware and software do
>> not a musician make.
>>
>> A professional can make a plastic Selmer Bundy clarinet sing.
>
> So true. True talent speaks all by itself.
>

>> An amateur with a Buffet professional model clarinet will still sound
>> like an amateur.
>>
>> Thus, equipment alone doth not a professional make.
>
> However, a total lack of personal redeeming qualities, doth a troll make.

Cheers ;-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 394093
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

Wintrolls Lie

May 13, 2010, 2:49:40 AM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:44:34 -0400, Hank wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 04:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Wintrolls Lie
> <wintro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:46:59 -0400, Hank wrote:
>>
>><snip drivel>
>>
>>Hmm, crossposted to rec.audio.pro, posts using Aioe.org, moshe /
>>flatfish comments snipped ...
>>
>>Hi moshe / flatfish / ...

<snip link>

What does that link have to do with you being yet another flatfish
nym?

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2010/02/m0she.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Grow up, seek help and get a life.

Marti van Lin

May 13, 2010, 2:55:49 AM5/13/10

Yep, the asshole is like a broken record, how many times did he pulled
that trick before. Announcing that he would leave, to come back with a
new identity a couple of days later. It's so predictable.

Two entire new identities support his drivel: Hank and Charles Griggs.

Simply look up the definition of Karaoke, just to have a good laugh.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 13, 2010, 6:42:10 AM5/13/10
CROSSPOST SNIPPED

Hank pulled this Usenet boner:

> You seem to be a bitter Linux user who is stuck with the poor set of
> tools that Linux offers and have a chip on your shoulder for people
> who can afford professional level tools.
> Or maybe you are a rank amateur who has flunked out of the music
> business and is blaming everyone for your own lack of talent.
>
> Do you have a site where we can hear what contributions you have made
> to the world of music? Somehow I have my doubts, but what kind of gear
> are you using and what is your experience level?
>
> Linux and world class recording are an oxymoron.

Interesting. This fellows fake email has "hank kimball" in it.

That is, a character from old TV (TV I watched as a kid):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Kimball

http://www.harmonycentral.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-26585405-1341/261-308/Hank+Kimball.jpg

And the tell-tale anti-Linux chip-on-his-shoulder.

And the cross-posting to rec.audio.pro.

And "Moshe" has left on a "trip" to "Nashville".

<sniff sniff>

I smell fish.

--
Q: How much does it cost to ride the Unibus?
A: 2 bits.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 13, 2010, 6:43:37 AM5/13/10
Charles Griggs pulled this Usenet boner:

Add to that the think-alike sock-puppetry.

<sniff> <sniff>

Fish.

--
Good day for overcoming obstacles. Try a steeplechase.

Chris Ahlstrom

May 13, 2010, 6:44:41 AM5/13/10
High Plains Thumper pulled this Usenet boner:

> Charles Griggs wrote:

> From: Charles Griggs <griggsk...@cox.net>
> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";
>
> From: Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com>
> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/8bd05879c2147667
>
> Yup, it's flatfish.

Didn't even need to check the host to know that.

Let us know if "Hank" is a match, too.

--
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: He was giving it last rites.

Rick

May 13, 2010, 7:15:47 AM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:03:38 -0400, Charles Griggs wrote:

(snip)

> Linux users are nasty people in general.

You are a bigoted idiot, in general.

> They want all their software
> for free and attack people who willingly pay for quality software.

Which, of course is why people pay for things like RHEL, and VMWare.
When it was available ,they paid for Red Hat and Suse. too. The people
that play WOW under WINE pay for their subscriptions.

> Tell me where is the Linux equivalent for Protools? I don't see one.
> Does it even exist?

Don't know. Don't care.

> One thing about Linux users is that they think everyone on earth sees
> things their way.

One thing about you is that you are a bigoted idiot. It is obvious that
"Linux users", in general, know very well that not every one sees things
their way, since "Linux users" don't see everything one way.

> Most people don't which is why Linux is a niche operating system.

It might be a niche OS, but it is present in a lot of niches.

--
Rick

An Old Friend

May 13, 2010, 10:22:18 AM5/13/10

Beginners sound like beginners no matter what instrument they use. I
chuckle inside at parents that purchase a $60,000 Steinway for their 5
year old who is just starting lessons.

Professionals can pull the potential out of whatever instrument they
play, sometimes amazingly so: there are recordings of Charlie Parker
playing a student-quality sax he bought after pawning his Selmer for
heroin money. You can hear the difference in the saxes, but you'd never
believe that Parker was playing a Bundy-quality instrument just by
listening.

Intermediate-level students/performers sound much better on pro equipment
than student equipment.

Professionals usually choose pro equipment because it's easier to get a
great sound. Some professionals enjoy using hobby-level or student-level
equipment because of the novelty/challenge of making it sound the best
possible.

For my work, Lilypond and Scribus are professional-level software and I
can produce professional-quality results with it.

Danny T

May 13, 2010, 11:11:22 AM5/13/10

Hey Rick - Don't be such a lame ass. First of all, all that bigot
means is that you can't tolerate someone else's intolerance. That
makes you a hypocritical jackass.

In my word, he has an opinion. If you don't like it, say why or shut
the hell up. Hank pisses me off too sometimes but his opinion is
politically protected and that incorrectness bullshit is about as
annoying as anything could ever be.

Generalizations work because in general they are right.

Danny T

May 13, 2010, 11:17:06 AM5/13/10
On May 13, 6:15 am, Rick <n...@mail.invalid> wrote:

Rick - That word "bigot" only means that you cannot tolerate someone
else's intolerance. Generalizations work because in general they are
right. You're obviously young. If someone has an opinion, its theirs
and taking it away from them is wrong. If you don't agree, say why.
The second you put someone down for their opinion without giving a
reason , you've become the bigger problem.

DFS

May 13, 2010, 1:07:56 PM5/13/10
On 5/13/2010 7:15 AM, Rick wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:03:38 -0400, Charles Griggs wrote:
>
> (snip)
>>
>> Linux users are nasty people in general.

I disagree, though most all of them are nasty liars about Microsoft and
Windows.

> You are a bigoted idiot, in general.

How did you make it to 60 years old and still be a virgin? I'm not
kidding - I want to know.

>> They want all their software
>> for free and attack people who willingly pay for quality software.
>
> Which, of course is why people pay for things like RHEL, and VMWare.

Which people? Businesses pay for RedHat support.

Show me a breakdown of how many Linux personal users pay for RHEL and
VMWare. Based on the evidence I've seen, I say it's a totally
insignificant amount.

> When it was available ,they paid for Red Hat and Suse. too. The people
> that play WOW under WINE pay for their subscriptions.

So?

>> Tell me where is the Linux equivalent for Protools? I don't see one.
>> Does it even exist?
>
> Don't know. Don't care.

Tens of thousands of people do care, (p)Rick.

You lose again.

Linux loses again.

Peter Köhlmann

May 13, 2010, 1:17:44 PM5/13/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> High Plains Thumper pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> Charles Griggs wrote:
>>
>> From: Charles Griggs <griggsk...@cox.net>
>> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";
>>
>> From: Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com>
>> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/8bd05879c2147667

>> Yup, it's flatfish.
>
> Didn't even need to check the host to know that.
>
> Let us know if "Hank" is a match, too.

It is.

You didn't think that flatfish actually has any business to be anwhere
else than in his sewer, don't you?
--
Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

Rick

May 13, 2010, 4:15:22 PM5/13/10

I see you never learned to use a dictionary...

> In my word, he has an opinion.

Yes? So?

> If you don't like it, say why

I did say why.

eewwwwwww... I'm scared now ...

> Hank pisses me off too sometimes but his opinion is politically
> protected and that incorrectness bullshit is about as annoying as
> anything could ever be.
>
> Generalizations work because in general they are right.

Actually, in many instances, they don't.

--
Rick

Rick

May 13, 2010, 4:20:21 PM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:07:56 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 5/13/2010 7:15 AM, Rick wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:03:38 -0400, Charles Griggs wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>>
>>> Linux users are nasty people in general.
>
> I disagree, though most all of them are nasty liars about Microsoft and
> Windows.

As opposed to your nasty lying?

>> You are a bigoted idiot, in general.
>
> How did you make it to 60 years old and still be a virgin? I'm not
> kidding - I want to know.

You are making assumptions again....

>>> They want all their software
>>> for free and attack people who willingly pay for quality software.
>>
>> Which, of course is why people pay for things like RHEL, and VMWare.
>
> Which people?

Me, for one. I bought Red HAt when it was boxed on shelves, and I bought
VMWare Workstaion, and pay for upgrades. I find it hard to believe I am
the only one.

> Businesses pay for RedHat support.
>
> Show me a breakdown of how many Linux personal users pay for RHEL and
> VMWare. Based on the evidence I've seen, I say it's a totally
> insignificant amount.

It is hard to see when you eye are tightly closed.

>> When it was available ,they paid for Red Hat and Suse. too. The people
>> that play WOW under WINE pay for their subscriptions.
>
> So?

So? read the original message.

>>> Tell me where is the Linux equivalent for Protools? I don't see one.
>>> Does it even exist?
>>
>> Don't know. Don't care.
>
> Tens of thousands of people do care, (p)Rick.

More don't care, Kindergarten Boy.

> You lose again.

You have to have lost the first time to lose again.

> Linux loses again.

DFS loses every time.
--
Rick

Sinister Midget III

May 13, 2010, 9:09:37 PM5/13/10
On 2010-05-13, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@launchmodem.com> claimed:

> Hank pulled this Usenet boner:

> Interesting. This fellows fake email has "hank kimball" in it.

> That is, a character from old TV (TV I watched as a kid):
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Kimball

Hank was an idiot (so were serveral others). Just like our "visitor" to
COLA.

Flathead is just too easy to pick out.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Aspire One, Linux Mint 8 (LXDE)

High Plains Thumper

May 13, 2010, 10:11:47 PM5/13/10
An Old Friend wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> Terry Porter wrote:

> Beginners sound like beginners no matter what instrument they use. I
> chuckle inside at parents that purchase a $60,000 Steinway for their
> 5 year old who is just starting lessons.
>
> Professionals can pull the potential out of whatever instrument they
> play, sometimes amazingly so: there are recordings of Charlie Parker
> playing a student-quality sax he bought after pawning his Selmer for
> heroin money. You can hear the difference in the saxes, but you'd
> never believe that Parker was playing a Bundy-quality instrument just
> by listening.
>
> Intermediate-level students/performers sound much better on pro
> equipment than student equipment.

Some of the beginner horns are atrociously bad. I remember of a
saxophone instructor who had a dog of a time getting a late '60s / early
'70s Buscher beginner model sax to play in tune.

> Professionals usually choose pro equipment because it's easier to get
> a great sound. Some professionals enjoy using hobby-level or
> student-level equipment because of the novelty/challenge of making it
> sound the best possible.

There used to be greater variation, but with modern manufacturing
methods, robotics and better design tools, better precision machining /
moulding, the gap between less models and pro model wind instruments
with brand name instruments have lessened. Of course, there are really
cheap instruments out there that look nice but crap. I'd steer clear of
those.

Timbres can be interesting. Mouth pieces can have an equally pleasing
effect on either beginner or pro equipment. The use of metal
mouthpieces like Berg Larson give a brighter sax sound, which some
artists use to effect on modern jazz pieces.

Plastic clarinets will have a slightly brighter sound, but it is not
enough of a difference to many but by the most discerning ear. We used
plastic clarinets for outdoor performances when inclimate weather was
near, because if damaged by weather (such as in the pads), it was less
of a loss. Plastic dries out easier and will not damage as readily as
the seasoned Grenadilla wood.

I've found that readjusting sax pad heights can clean up intonation
without drastically affecting the timbre. Also other adjustments can
have effect. I had a Yamaha YAS-61 pro model alto sax that didn't play
in tune until I pulled the neck out about a 1/16th of an inch.

My LeBlanc Vito clarinet my father procured for me when I was in 6th
grade has a sharp throat section. The throat notes Bb, A and G are
about a 1/4 tone sharp. But one learns to make dynamic adjustments
whilst playing, so that they will be in tone.

I found an old King Bari sax, it was not much to look at. After
replacing some of the pads and replacing missing and bad cork bumpers,
adjusting pad heights, became a decent one with a Berg Larson metal
mouthpiece. I used it for a couple of years, it was a decent sounding
truck. It surprised a lot people how well something that looked so
humble with its missing lacquer in places, small dents and marls could
sound.

> For my work, Lilypond and Scribus are professional-level software and
> I can produce professional-quality results with it.

This is the fallacy of expensive software for hobbyist and even some
professional use. If one spends a couple grand on proprietary software
for music recording and reproduction, either they are connoisseurs, have
a bona fide need in making a regular living with pay back or have no
sense in the value of money and are plain idiots.

>>> However, a total lack of personal redeeming qualities, doth a
>>> troll make.
>>
>> Yes. That goes for all our COLA trolls without exception.

--
HPT

Moshe

May 13, 2010, 10:24:37 PM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:11:47 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> This is the fallacy of expensive software for hobbyist and even some
> professional use. If one spends a couple grand on proprietary software
> for music recording and reproduction, either they are connoisseurs, have
> a bona fide need in making a regular living with pay back or have no
> sense in the value of money and are plain idiots.

You are a complete ass High Plains Thumper.

What a joke you are.

Stick to compiling Linux kernels or arguing about which editor is
better VI or emacs.

Try reading here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/
491542-pro-tools-hd-must-commercial-facility.html

Sorry for the spilt link.

DFS

May 13, 2010, 10:40:39 PM5/13/10
On 5/13/2010 4:20 PM, Rick wrote:

> As opposed to your nasty lying?
>

> You are making assumptions again....

> Me, for one. I bought Red HAt when it was boxed on shelves, and I bought
> VMWare Workstaion, and pay for upgrades. I find it hard to believe I am
> the only one.
>

> It is hard to see when you eye are tightly closed.
>

> So? read the original message.
>

> More don't care, Kindergarten Boy.
>

> You have to have lost the first time to lose again.
>

> DFS loses every time.

Another ridiculous, uninformative, evasive reply by (p)Rick.

In case you didn't know, you're the worst wannabe-serious-advocate on cola.

Rick

May 13, 2010, 10:54:34 PM5/13/10
On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:40:39 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 5/13/2010 4:20 PM, Rick wrote:
>
>> As opposed to your nasty lying?
>>
>> You are making assumptions again....
>>
>> Me, for one. I bought Red HAt when it was boxed on shelves, and I
>> bought VMWare Workstaion, and pay for upgrades. I find it hard to
>> believe I am the only one.
>>
>> It is hard to see when you eye are tightly closed.
>>
>> So? read the original message.
>>
>> More don't care, Kindergarten Boy.
>>
>> You have to have lost the first time to lose again.
>>
>> DFS loses every time.
>

> Another ridiculous, uninformative, evasive reply by (p)Rick.

I see you still get a lot of amusement out your grade school insult,
Kindergarten Boy. Why i that?

> In case you didn't know, you're the worst wannabe-serious-advocate on
> cola.

... means nothing, coming from you.

--
Rick

High Plains Thumper

May 14, 2010, 7:31:39 AM5/14/10
Marti van Lin wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:

>> Yea I can remember when Elton John and lots of other famous,
>> successful musicians used to troll on COLA .... Oh wait ..... they
>> never did because they are too busy writing, composing and
>> performing to EVER be trolls.
>
> I don't understand why people believe Flatso's nonsense. Karaoke is
> something in the amateur area and has nothing to do with
> professionals.
>
> Flatso's bs about his work for "professional Karaoke singers" is
> simply pathetic, because there is no such thing as a professional
> karaoke singer.

It is amazing, isn't it and my point exactly. He makes such a big fuss
about expensive digitised sounds from instruments for use with software.
The music manufacturers such as Roland, Korg, Yamaha, GeneralMusic
(until they went out of business) and etc. have already done this.
Their workstation and higher end digital products have higher bit
resolutions with technology to mimic instruments as closely as possible.

Using these so called expensive digitised sounds, recording / sound
modification and midi "karaoke" editing software as straw men, he uses
them to FUD Linux, so he can bolster the Microsoft flagship products.
These straw men arguments are nothing more than distractions, because
the average PC user would never even consider purchasing such products,
because they are speciality items.

It is amazing per flatfish, Linux can be used by higher end movie
studios for editing movie pictures and sound but is unsuitable for
higher end hobbyist and professional use for sound editing. A real
crock of putrescence.

> Karaoke is singing popular songs in a club, where the song text is
> projected on a large screen.
>
> .KAR files are freely available all over the web no composition is
> involved. They are more or less extended .MID files.
>
> [quote]
> Karaoke (カラオケ?, a portmanteau of Japanese kara 空 "empty," and
> ōkesutora オーケストラ "orchestra")[1](English pronunciation:
> /ˌkæriːˈoʊkiː/; Japanese: [kaɽaoꜜke] ( listen)) is a form of
> interactive entertainment or video game in which amateur singers
> sing along with recorded music (and/or a music video) using a
> microphone and public address system. The music is typically a
> well-known pop song minus the lead vocal. Lyrics are usually
> displayed on a video screen, along with a moving symbol or changing
> color and/or music video images, to guide the singer. In some
> countries, a karaoke box is called a KTV. Due to its English
> pronunciation, it is sometimes incorrectly spelled "kareoke". It is
> also a term used by recording engineers translated as "empty track"
> meaning there is no vocal track.
> [/quote]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke

Flatfish's recent nymshifts as Charles Griggs and Hank with his
propagandistic lies are lame attempts to discredit Linux advocates.

--
HPT

Hadron

May 14, 2010, 7:41:05 AM5/14/10

The talk, loonybins, was about professional recording studios.

You're clearly as clueless and cheap about your music SW as your are
about most other things.

The facts, once again, fly in the face of your non stop garbage.

It's surely time for another Retard Roundup. And Raytard is playing hard
for a seat at the top table this month ....

Moshe

May 14, 2010, 11:56:31 AM5/14/10
On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:41:05 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> High Plains Thumper <h...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> Marti van Lin wrote:

Notice how the cracked pots keep moving the goal posts around.
They will argue the Linux mantra till death do them part no matter
how wrong they may be.

It's so funny to watch these amateur musicians like HPT and Marti
attempt to debate someone, me, who has been playing professionally
since the age of 7 or something like that.

I doubt either of them have ever set foot in a commercial
recording facility let alone played on commercial recordings, for
shows, etc.

Yet somehow just because they purchase a keyboard with the name
Roland or Yamaha on it they consider themselves professionals.

Well with HPT's Roland with light up keys and "styles disks"
ie:Band in a Box, I suppose he "could" sound as good as the person
who wrote the tunes in the first place.

Roland has several lines of products, so does Yamaha.
Consumer, professional etc.

Guess which line his keyboard is from...

What it boils down to is a huge case of sour grapes.

They choose Linux and because they are miserable trying to work
with it all of a sudden the other 99.99 percent of the studios in
the world who are using something else, like ProTools, Nuendo,
Logic or such are wrong.

Can you make music with Linux?

Sure.

The real question is why would you want to.

BTW where on earth did those idiots get the idea I do karaoke
music?
I *hate* that stuff because it's usually a bunch of drunk amateurs
trying to sing like professionals although every once in a while a
good singer comes along.

Ironic though seeing as High Plains Thumper buys "styles" disks
for his keyboard, which is the instrumental version of karaoke.

So when are we going to hear some of HPT's musical wonders?
He sure likes to critize others, so let's hear how his chops are.

I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Hadron

May 14, 2010, 12:30:24 PM5/14/10
Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com> writes:

> So when are we going to hear some of HPT's musical wonders?
> He sure likes to critize others, so let's hear how his chops are.
>
> I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Here he is with brother Cletus-Saki-San.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF--TuXD6P0

Moshe

May 14, 2010, 12:33:25 PM5/14/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF--TuXD6P0

Holy Shit!!!

I wonder if High Plains Thumper can get a "styles disk" for that
kind of music?

BWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Marti van Lin

May 14, 2010, 2:01:14 PM5/14/10

That's correct, this technology has been around for almost two
decades. Most digital instruments have a set of samples that use this
technology, since the early 1990's.

> Using these so called expensive digitised sounds, recording / sound
> modification and midi "karaoke" editing software as straw men, he uses
> them to FUD Linux, so he can bolster the Microsoft flagship products.
> These straw men arguments are nothing more than distractions, because
> the average PC user would never even consider purchasing such products,
> because they are speciality items.

Well unfortunately for Flafart there are at least a couple of amateur
musicians in this group, who know how this stuff works. "Digitized
sounds" (samples) have nothing to do with MIDI, they are stored in a
"audio track".

The first software sequencer that supported audio tracks was
Steinberg's overpriced CUBASE.

Surprise surprise, the Free and Gratis Rosegarden software sequencer
for GNU/Linux also supports audio tracks as well.

MIDI is nothing but a (communications) protocol, and hardware standard
(uses the old 5-pin DIN standard, for interconnection). In fact MIDI
is yet another networking protocol for digital music instruments etc..

> It is amazing per flatfish, Linux can be used by higher end movie
> studios for editing movie pictures and sound but is unsuitable for
> higher end hobbyist and professional use for sound editing. A real
> crock of putrescence.

It is crystal clear that Flatfish is an obsessed psychopath. Just move
on HPT!

>> Karaoke is singing popular songs in a club, where the song text is
>> projected on a large screen.
>>
>> .KAR files are freely available all over the web no composition is
>> involved. They are more or less extended .MID files.
>>
>> [quote]
>> Karaoke (カラオケ?, a portmanteau of Japanese kara 空 "empty," and
>> ōkesutora オーケストラ "orchestra")[1](English pronunciation:
>> /ˌkæriːˈoʊkiː/; Japanese: [kaɽaoꜜke] ( listen)) is a form of
>> interactive entertainment or video game in which amateur singers
>> sing along with recorded music (and/or a music video) using a
>> microphone and public address system. The music is typically a
>> well-known pop song minus the lead vocal. Lyrics are usually
>> displayed on a video screen, along with a moving symbol or changing
>> color and/or music video images, to guide the singer. In some
>> countries, a karaoke box is called a KTV. Due to its English
>> pronunciation, it is sometimes incorrectly spelled "kareoke". It is
>> also a term used by recording engineers translated as "empty track"
>> meaning there is no vocal track.
>> [/quote]
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke
>
> Flatfish's recent nymshifts as Charles Griggs and Hank with his
> propagandistic lies are lame attempts to discredit Linux advocates.

Well that was pretty predictable, wasn't it? I for one interpreted his
announcement to "go tho Nashville to help out" as an announcement to
drop the "Moshe" nym and to expect a couple of complete new identities
without any posting history.

Flatfart obviously doesn't understand or simply ignores that he pulled
this trick so many times, that it doesn't work any longer.

The only one he discredits is himself with his stupidity.

Cheers

Moshe

May 14, 2010, 3:00:16 PM5/14/10
On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:01:14 +0200, Marti van Lin wrote:

> That's correct, this technology has been around for almost two
> decades. Most digital instruments have a set of samples that use this
> technology, since the early 1990's.

Yea, so?

> Well unfortunately for Flafart there are at least a couple of amateur
> musicians in this group, who know how this stuff works. "Digitized
> sounds" (samples) have nothing to do with MIDI, they are stored in a
> "audio track".

Who ever said it did?
Do you guys take hallucinogenic drugs or something?

It sure seems that way because you keep making stuff up, or maybe
the long term effect of the drugs is kicking in.

> The first software sequencer that supported audio tracks was
> Steinberg's overpriced CUBASE.

Could be...
It was using Digidesign's TDM system at the time though.
You get what you pay for, or in the case of Linux you get what you
don't pay for.

> Surprise surprise, the Free and Gratis Rosegarden software sequencer
> for GNU/Linux also supports audio tracks as well.

Yea, only 2 decades late to the party.

> MIDI is nothing but a (communications) protocol, and hardware standard
> (uses the old 5-pin DIN standard, for interconnection). In fact MIDI
> is yet another networking protocol for digital music instruments etc..

Yawn.
We know that Marti, no need for the history lesson.

> It is crystal clear that Flatfish is an obsessed psychopath. Just move
> on HPT!

Obsessed?
Nahh.

It's just a big hoot for me to observe you two freaks.
From a distance of course.

> Well that was pretty predictable, wasn't it? I for one interpreted his
> announcement to "go tho Nashville to help out" as an announcement to
> drop the "Moshe" nym and to expect a couple of complete new identities
> without any posting history.

I didn't nymshift anywhere.
You kooks are hallucinating again.

I do find it interesting that the minute I leave, you dorks start
attacking me in music related threads while at the same time
different people appear out of nowhere.

The same thing happened when we "wintrolls" boycotted the group
last year.

HPT went to town nymshifting in the style of posting that some of
us have.

Rather interesting comparison between then and now.

The problem is HPT is not too bright.

> Flatfart obviously doesn't understand or simply ignores that he pulled
> this trick so many times, that it doesn't work any longer.

Hahaha!
If I wanted to I could fool you idiots for weeks.
In fact I've already done it, and that includes Spamowitz who took
the bait big time and splattered it all over his web sites.

Hysterical!!

You guys are so pathetic you have reach and grasp at straws and
all the time you miss the point.

And you Marti, still desperately seeking approval over on Roy's
ICQ channel.

How pathetic that is for a grown "man", to stoop to that level.

> The only one he discredits is himself with his stupidity.
>
> Cheers

Sticks and stones.....hahahha!

Go sing another kernel song.
Hahaha!

High Plains Thumper

May 15, 2010, 8:24:37 PM5/15/10
On 05/13/2010 11:17 AM, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper pulled:

>>> Charles Griggs wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Charles Griggs <griggsk...@cox.net>
>>> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";
>>>
>>> From: Moshe <goldee_l...@gmail.com>
>>> posting-host="smkkuiJS4zQ4n1Y7RwS9CA";
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/8bd05879c2147667
>>>
>>> Yup, it's flatfish.
>>
>> Didn't even need to check the host to know that. Let us know if
>> "Hank" is a match, too.
>
> It is.
>
> You didn't think that flatfish actually has any business to be
> anwhere else than in his sewer, don't you?

So his so called trip to Opryland was nothing more than a front to
nymshift as someone else. As in the past. Figures.

HPT

Moshe

May 15, 2010, 8:52:20 PM5/15/10

Prove it idiot.
He who squawks the most is usually the one doing the dirty work.
Just like when the boycott was in place.

Who was doing all the complaining?
HPT and kohlmann.

When did all the nyms appear?
Right on time.

Face it HPT you don't like being exposed as a nymshifter.
Right Wendy?

BTW if you can offer some concrete proof of me nym shifting be my
guest.

You can't.

You can try all that Dutch German crap you keep regurgitating but
you still have no proof.

You choose instead to lie, blow smoke to cover up for your inept
attempts at discrediting the very people you expose your ass.

Right Wendy?

High Plains Thumper

May 15, 2010, 10:03:48 PM5/15/10

Moshe

May 15, 2010, 10:17:51 PM5/15/10
On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:03:48 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> On 05/15/2010 06:52 PM, Moshe wrote:
>
>> BTW if you can offer some concrete proof of me nym shifting be my
>> guest.
>> You can't.
>
> From: Charles Griggs <griggsk...@cox.net>

Proves nothing......
I figured you would come up with something reasonable.

Same old recycled garbage pointing back to your own posts.