Is Linux A Feasible Platofrm For Professional DAW work ?

Erin Mungan

Dec 19, 2009, 9:30:24 PM12/19/09

The Linux pundits say yes....

I say no....

My simplistic reasoning, lack of support for UAD, EzDrummer, Ivory,
Waves, etc....

Then there is lack of control surface support.\
Lack of sound card support.

....and on and on.

And of course this doesn't even include the lack of ProTools, the
industry standard, into the discussion.

For the record, I would love to see Linux break into this area but it is
not there and is not even close and all signs unfortunately lead to a
dead end.

Comments, discussion... ?

Cork Soaker

Dec 19, 2009, 9:38:52 PM12/19/09
Erin Mungan wrote:

> Comments, discussion... ?

No, thanks for the offer.

Erin Mungan

Dec 19, 2009, 9:52:32 PM12/19/09
In article <ibf007-...@quarkbomb.dyndns.org>,
Thund...@Intrepid.invalid says...

> Erin Mungan wrote:
>
> > Comments, discussion... ?
> >

> No, thanks for the offer.

Coming from a Linux zealot like yourself, that's no surprise.

Why the fear?

Your zealot brothers in Linux keep telling the professional audio
community how Linux is ready to replace the applications we already use.

You keep telling us how Linux is free and we are wasting our money on
applications like ProTools and Nuendo etc.

So why the fear when you are asked to produce instead of bullshit?

Scott Dorsey

Dec 19, 2009, 10:15:24 PM12/19/09
Erin Mungan <mungan4ly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>For the record, I would love to see Linux break into this area but it is
>not there and is not even close and all signs unfortunately lead to a
>dead end.

Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this somewhere else.

>Comments, discussion... ?

Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro.
--scott

Erin Mungan

Dec 19, 2009, 10:22:04 PM12/19/09
In article <hgk4sc$eil$1...@panix2.panix.com>, klu...@panix.com says...

> Erin Mungan <mungan4ly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >For the record, I would love to see Linux break into this area but it is
> >not there and is not even close and all signs unfortunately lead to a
> >dead end.
>
> Oh, God, not this idiot again. Please, take this somewhere else.
>
> >Comments, discussion... ?
>
> Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro.
> --scott

I'll take that as a no, Scott Dorsey who sends out kits with incorrect
schematics and supplies..... see SOS for details.....

Again, is Linux a feasible platform?

Rick

Dec 19, 2009, 10:29:57 PM12/19/09
... I say no.

--
Rick

Erin Mungan

Dec 19, 2009, 11:13:11 PM12/19/09
In article <R-KdneJx4LuoB7DW...@supernews.com>,
no...@mail.invalid says...

> ... I say no.

Can you answer the question instead of acting like a typical Linux
zealot and attacking the messenger?

I say no.

John Williamson

Dec 20, 2009, 2:53:20 AM12/20/09
Erin Mungan wrote:
> The Linux pundits say yes....
>
> I say no....

I agree that in general it isn't. I also know that some people use it
for audio with great enthusiasm. There are very few applications, it has
limited hardware support, and IME is a nightmare to configure.

It does , IMHO, have a place in the Studio area as a fileserver, which
is a job it does extremely well. It's also very good at office related
work, if you can live without Microsoft Office.

Just my experiences.

--
Tciao for Now!

JOhn.

William Poaster

Dec 20, 2009, 5:32:11 AM12/20/09
On 20/12/2009 02:38, above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls, Cork
Soaker was heard to say:

> Erin Mungan wrote:
>
>> Comments, discussion... ?
>>

> No, thanks for the offer.

And flatfish has crossposted his tripe to an unrelated group.
What a surprise.

--
Morfy's law; Enythink thit ken go rong willl.

Cork Soaker

Dec 20, 2009, 10:05:11 AM12/20/09
Erin Mungan wrote:
> In article <ibf007-...@quarkbomb.dyndns.org>,
> Thund...@Intrepid.invalid says...
>> Erin Mungan wrote:
>>
>>> Comments, discussion... ?
>>>
>> No, thanks for the offer.
>

> Coming from a Linux zealot like yourself, that's no surprise.
>
> Why the fear?

No fear, you're just boring.

> Your zealot brothers in Linux keep telling the professional audio
> community how Linux is ready to replace the applications we already use.

This clearly causes a great deal of excitement for you, during these,
your lowest days.

> You keep telling us how Linux is free and we are wasting our money on
> applications like ProTools and Nuendo etc.

No I don't.

> So why the fear when you are asked to produce instead of bullshit?

I have no interest in producing anything for you, except another turd
you can call your brother.

Scott Dorsey

Dec 20, 2009, 12:53:22 PM12/20/09
Erin Mungan <mungan4ly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <hgk4sc$eil$1...@panix2.panix.com>, klu...@panix.com says...
>>
>> Please, no. Not here in rec.audio.pro.
>
>I'll take that as a no, Scott Dorsey who sends out kits with incorrect
>schematics and supplies..... see SOS for details.....

I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. None of the board kits I have ever
supplied in the past 30 years have ever come with any schematics or
supplies. That would rather defeat their purpose.

>Again, is Linux a feasible platform?

Take your religious war elsewhere, please. Have you considered seeing
a doctor about your obsessive behaviour?

Hadron

Dec 20, 2009, 12:59:35 PM12/20/09
klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:

What is religious about asking Audio professionals, and I assume you are
one, if Linux cuts the mustard as an Audio processing platform?

Well? Does it?

dimercaprol

Dec 20, 2009, 1:07:58 PM12/20/09
Since this thread has some knowledgeable people, I hope you don't mind
if I ask if any of you guys has info about using the M-Audio Firewire
410 in any version of Linux. The last I hear, it didn't work so I am
still using Windows. I would like to switch to Linux, but I don't want
to buy a new 2496 external sound card.
Thanks,
dimer

Jay Ts

Dec 20, 2009, 3:13:09 PM12/20/09
Hadron wrote:
> klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>> Erin Mungan wrote:
>>>klu...@panix.com says...

>>>I'll take that as a no, Scott Dorsey who sends out kits with incorrect
>>>schematics and supplies..... see SOS for details.....
>>
>> I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. None of the board kits I have ever
>> supplied in the past 30 years have ever come with any schematics or
>> supplies. That would rather defeat their purpose.
>>
>>>Again, is Linux a feasible platform?
>>
>> Take your religious war elsewhere, please. Have you considered seeing
>> a doctor about your obsessive behaviour? --scott
>
> What is religious about asking Audio professionals, and I assume you are
> one, if Linux cuts the mustard as an Audio processing platform?
>
> Well? Does it?

NO. It's good for playing audio files, though, and I use it for that.
All of my other music and audio apps run on Windows XP. If Linux
worked better for those applications, I would use it instead.

Now go away. Whether you know it or not, your intrusion into
rec.audio.pro without having the slightest familiarity with
the group and its regular contributors only identifies you
as a TROLL.

Jay Ts
Linux and Windows user since 1996
Unix programmer and sysadmin since 1981
Author, Using Samba (2nd. edition), O'Reilly Media

Hadron

Dec 20, 2009, 3:22:18 PM12/20/09
Jay Ts <UseWebsi...@example.com> writes:

1) Who the hell do you think you are?
2) I never cross posted : I am merely interested to hear the facts and
following up.
3) The question is perfectly legitimate.
4) Why would you use Linux for "playing audio" while using XP for the
rest of your work?
4) If you're going to make sweeping statements like Linux is no good for
Audio applications then explain why.
5) You don't own the group and are most certainly not in charge. If you
feel incapable of answering a perfectly normal question feel free to use
your killfile. I feel sure that a big shot like you knows how to use
one.

Have a nice day now.

Cork Soaker

Dec 20, 2009, 9:55:13 PM12/20/09

Hadron is a well known troll, and idiot.

chrisv

Dec 21, 2009, 9:29:25 AM12/21/09
Cork Soaker wrote:

>Hadron is a well known troll, and idiot.

As is his mentally-ill, nym-shifting pal Flatfish ("Erin Mungan").

--
"OK, so wheres the proof that hes a troll of any kind and does lots of
nymshifting?" - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark, defending

Scott Dorsey

Dec 21, 2009, 10:37:04 AM12/21/09

The problem is that the 410 has a nonstandard interface, and M-Audio won't
provide details of the interface.

This means that you are dependant either on M-Audio deciding to produce
their own linux driver, or on someone successfully reverse-engineering
the device well enough to put together a linux driver.

You know, twenty years ago when you bought a computer product, the
interface information you needed to write a driver was often in the
user's manual. But these days vendors have found that they can keep
stuff proprietary without people complaining... until they want to do
something that the vendor hasn't decided to support. Welcome to the
world of cheap commodity hardware.

Scott Dorsey

Dec 21, 2009, 10:41:26 AM12/21/09
In article <ve1vi55tqvlo2hdqq...@4ax.com>,

chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Cork Soaker wrote:
>
>>Hadron is a well known troll, and idiot.
>
>As is his mentally-ill, nym-shifting pal Flatfish ("Erin Mungan").

Are these two people? I thought they were the same.

Cork Soaker

Dec 21, 2009, 10:42:01 AM12/21/09
chrisv wrote:
> Cork Soaker wrote:
>
>> Hadron is a well known troll, and idiot.
>
> As is his mentally-ill, nym-shifting pal Flatfish ("Erin Mungan").

And they both rape children.

Moshe Goldfarb

Dec 21, 2009, 2:57:11 PM12/21/09
On 21 Dec 2009 10:37:04 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> dimercaprol <angshu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Since this thread has some knowledgeable people, I hope you don't mind
>>if I ask if any of you guys has info about using the M-Audio Firewire
>>410 in any version of Linux. The last I hear, it didn't work so I am
>>still using Windows. I would like to switch to Linux, but I don't want
>>to buy a new 2496 external sound card.
>
> The problem is that the 410 has a nonstandard interface, and M-Audio won't
> provide details of the interface.
>
> This means that you are dependant either on M-Audio deciding to produce
> their own linux driver, or on someone successfully reverse-engineering
> the device well enough to put together a linux driver.

M-Audio seems to be in trouble even wrt to Windows 7 x64 (and even
Vista) drivers for some of their products. I would most definitely
read the user forum over there before purchasing an M-Audio
product.

They seem to be ignoring their customers.

FWIW I have a Delta 1010 that works fine with Windows 7 x64 and
they were a little slow, but did get drivers out to the field.

As for not releasing the specs, that's true but the Linux community
has managed quite well with the Delta series and in fact these are
amongst the best support prosumer level cards for Linux.

Gotta give credit to the ALSA developers for that.

Doc

Dec 26, 2009, 11:34:49 AM12/26/09
On Dec 19, 9:30 pm, Erin Mungan <mungan4lynxReMo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Comments, discussion... ?

I'm curious, what would be the compelling reason for it to be? It
seems there are already at least two major platforms that have a high
degree of refinement for A/V work.

Mr. Majestic

Dec 26, 2009, 11:52:50 AM12/26/09

Who cares? Linux will always be pulling up the rear, just the facts man
just facts.

Soundhaspriority

Dec 27, 2009, 3:33:46 AM12/27/09
"Rick" <no...@mail.invalid> wrote in message