Gingerbread-x86 is baked

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 26, 2011, 5:10:37 AM1/26/11
to Android-x86
Hi,
As you may have noticed, I have pushed
a build-able gingerbread-x86 branch into
the git server. Get it as usual:

$ repo init -u git://git.android-x86.org/manifest.git -b gingerbread-x86
$ repo sync

Pushing to SourceForge mirror is on the way.
Should be ready in one day.

All the targets supported by froyo-x86 are updated
to be build-able for gingerbread-x86.

Sound and wifi works.
No 3D, ethernet, mouse yet.

You may find screenshots of gingerbread-x86
from my blog: http://cwhuang.info

Note to the changes of build system:

* AOSP has merged Intel's generic_x86 target. But it sucks,
and conflicts with our efforts. Anyway, I've tried to minimize
the conflicts, and move common files like firmwares and keymaps
to device/common/.

* You may also put prebuilt apks in device/common/app/.
They will be included in the iso_img or usb_img automatically.

* Wifi is on by default. To disable it in your target, set
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER :=

* Touchscreen is on by default. To disable it, set
BOARD_USES_TSLIB := false

* Gingerbread uses ext4 as the filesystem for /system.
If you create a customized kernel config, make sure
you have set CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 26, 2011, 5:22:07 AM1/26/11
to Android-x86
2011/1/26 Chih-Wei Huang <cwh...@android-x86.org>:

> Note to the changes of build system:

I forgot to mention a more important change.
As AOSP, gingerbread-x86 requires a 64-bit
build environment, and java 1.6.
So remember to upgrade your build host.

Personally I used Fedora 14 x86_64,
with its openjdk 1.6.0.
It works fine for me.
For a complete rpm list
you need to install on Fedora 14, see
http://cwhuang.info/2011/01/build-gingerbread-on-fedora

Al Sutton

Jan 26, 2011, 5:59:06 AM1/26/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
For those wanting to avoid a complete "pull from the server" checkout you can do the follow the instructions near the end of JBQs post at http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/ea5de03bff285ba8 which shows how to use an existing checkout as the base for a new one.

Al.

meanderingthemaze

Jan 26, 2011, 2:14:59 PM1/26/11
to Android-x86
Is there a way to run this within Ubuntu, as in:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/4364add838480425#

On Jan 26, 2:59 am, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
> For those wanting to avoid a complete "pull from the server" checkout you can do the follow the instructions near the end of JBQs post athttp://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/...which shows how to use an existing checkout as the base for a new one.
>
> Al.
>
> On 26 Jan 2011, at 10:22, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:

Suman Saraf

Jan 27, 2011, 7:15:11 AM1/27/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello Chih-Wei,

I am assuming that only the build environment (primarily the jdk) required is 64 bit?

I hope the final kernel, libraries and binaries on the target are all 32 bit still? Is this correct?

I am asking because I run android inside VirtualBox and if gingerbread kernel is 64 bit then it won't work for me because VirtualBox requires VT-x for 64 running bit guests, which the current Atom N-4XX's don't have.

Thanks,
Suman

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 27, 2011, 9:14:22 PM1/27/11
to Android-x86
2011/1/26 Chih-Wei Huang <cwh...@android-x86.org>:
>> Note to the changes of build system:

Another important change I forgot to mention.
In froyo-x86, you may know you could get a smaller
image (strips all debugging symbols) by adding
TARGET_STRIP := 1

In gingerbread-x86, the debugging symbols are stripped
by default, so no need to use this variable anymore.
Actually the AOSP has used the variable for a
different meaning. Make sure you remove it
from your buildspec.mk.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 27, 2011, 9:22:43 PM1/27/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/27 Suman Saraf <saraf...@yahoo.com>:

> Hello Chih-Wei,
> I am assuming that only the build environment (primarily the jdk) required is 64 bit?
> I hope the final kernel, libraries and binaries on the target are all 32 bit still? Is this correct?

Sure, android(-x86) itself is still a 32-bit OS.
Most arm cpus are still 32-bit, right?

swapnil

Mar 16, 2011, 1:17:37 AM3/16/11
to Android-x86
Can you post a link to download image directly ? I dont see it in
android-x86.org's download section

On Jan 28, 7:22 am, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:

may may

Mar 16, 2011, 8:52:49 AM3/16/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I Test  the Android x86 , mouse  and  ethernet  it isn't wok  but wifi work with awext driver
My  images   test for VM     download http://gingerbread-beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/vm.rar

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Lightwars <tkligh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi , sorry to tell you, but at the moment only the source code is
available for download.
So you can grab it build your own image. That's what I know.

And android(-x86) is still a 32 bit os.

On 16 Mrz., 01:17, swapnil <swap.kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you post a link to download image directly ? I dont see it in
> android-x86.org's download section

Lightwars

Yebyen (Kingdon)

Mar 17, 2011, 1:12:04 PM3/17/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Since it is "baked" -- is there anyone out here who can provide builds comparable to the moonman.dk site?  Any builds at all -- I am looking for eeepc target.

One of my build hosts is 64bit, but it's running kFreeBSD and I'll be surprised if anyone can tell me that the build works OK in kFreeBSD... even if it's still all GNU userland, that would be a big surprise to me.  Maybe I can try later and tell how far I get?  I just tend to think that nobody has tried it ^_^

If nobody is posting builds in a few days, I'm going to put Linux back on it and post a build for eeepc target for Gingerbread (if it's ready enough that I can figure out!)

This will likely mark the end of my froyo-x86 testing, unless a lot of new stuff is broken in GB... a new froyo-x86 build is in queue for today, Mar 17, too.

Thanks, Android-x86 team!
Kingdon

Lightwars

Mar 18, 2011, 10:30:27 AM3/18/11
to Android-x86
Today I did build an image for eeepc from the source code of
gingerbread and uploaded it.
Here is the download link :
http://www.adrive.com/public/a7cf749f877e030cae7340b53bfe26c7459c8ba775f894a8b058fc2bbbc94cc6.html

Hope it works. I only tested to boot it up, but I don't own an eeepc,
so I didn't know much about the functionality.

On 17 Mrz., 18:12, "Yebyen (Kingdon)" <xulrunne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since it is "baked" -- is there anyone out here who can provide builds
> comparable to the moonman.dk site?  Any builds at all -- I am looking for
> eeepc target.
>
> One of my build hosts is 64bit, but it's running kFreeBSD and I'll be
> surprised if anyone can tell me that the build works OK in kFreeBSD... even
> if it's still all GNU userland, that would be a big surprise to me.  Maybe I
> can try later and tell how far I get?  I just tend to think that nobody has
> tried it ^_^
>
> If nobody is posting builds in a few days, I'm going to put Linux back on it
> and post a build for eeepc target for Gingerbread (if it's ready enough that
> I can figure out!)
>
> http://martyfunkhouser.csh.rit.edu/~yebyen/
> This will likely mark the end of my froyo-x86 testing, unless a lot of new
> stuff is broken in GB... a new froyo-x86 build is in queue for today, Mar
> 17, too.
>
> Thanks, Android-x86 team!
> Kingdon

Yebyen (Kingdon)

Mar 18, 2011, 11:33:59 AM3/18/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
OK, I will download and test it first, and with your permission upload it to my page;

Since you haven't tested it yourself, I wonder if you know about the build flags?  Did you pay any attention to set BOARD_USES_I915= BOARD_USES_I915C=true; can someone who has tested maybe clue me in if these settings are still needed?

For me, on Froyo builds, this setting provided a significant performance boost... without them you can still try critical features and graphics work, just sluggish.

Thanks for your build!  Anybody else?

Yebyen (Kingdon)

Mar 18, 2011, 12:39:42 PM3/18/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can I convince you to put up another build?  This time eeepc_usb.img, as the iso's do not use isolinux I can't simply apply isohybrid and send the .iso file to a flash drive; my netbook does not have a cdrom drive.

When you call make or make usb_img -j6 or however you call it, can you pass these params also?

make usb_img -j6 BOARD_USES_I915= BOARD_USES_I915C=true

Sorry to impose, but I am not in 64 bit linux userland ^_^

Lightwars

Mar 19, 2011, 6:20:09 AM3/19/11
to Android-x86
Hi,
I looked inside the BoardConfig.mk from eeepc and there it is said
'BOARD_USES_I915C := true'.
So to speak the settings were made.

Have you tried using unetbootin tool to made a bootable flash drive
out of the iso? I use it all the time.

On 18 Mrz., 17:39, "Yebyen (Kingdon)" <xulrunne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I convince you to put up another build?  This time eeepc_usb.img, as the
> iso's do not use isolinux I can't simply apply isohybrid and send the .iso
> file to a flash drive; my netbook does not have a cdrom drive.
>
> When you call make or make usb_img -j6 or however you call it, can you pass
> these params also?
>
> make usb_img -j6 BOARD_USES_I915= BOARD_USES_I915C=true
>
> Sorry to impose, but I am not in 64 bit linux userland ^_^
>
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Lightwars <tklightfo...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
> > Today I did build an image for eeepc from the source code of
> > gingerbread and uploaded it.
> > Here is the download link :
>
> >http://www.adrive.com/public/a7cf749f877e030cae7340b53bfe26c7459c8ba7...

Yebyen (Kingdon)

Mar 19, 2011, 12:04:02 PM3/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Really?  I can try that... thanks

Kingdon

Mar 19, 2011, 1:07:07 PM3/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Good and bad results to report, your unetbootin trick did not work to load the bootloader, I had no choice but to read the isolinux config file and feed the options into my grub menu. But, it did boot!

I am learning to use this without a mouse pointer, but it will be nice to have it back... perhaps I can find the setting in the preferences to disable using the pointing device as a thumb-pad? Hopefully this was not a compile-time option!

Wi-fi still works, still seems to be necessary to reload my driver manually from command-line to scan successfully.

The graphics are not where they were in froyo, everything is sluggish, try removing video=-16 parameter from boot options; that will be my next step. On first successful boot, I can say this system does not perform like it has been compiled with the right options I915= and I915C=true

This is a Gingerbread report with Acer AOA-150 AspireOne hardware. Thanks for the help!

喜欢 it is very easy to accidentally trigger the chinese input also :D

Yebyen (Kingdon)

Mar 19, 2011, 1:14:50 PM3/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Removing video=-16 made things much worse...

I will have to go back over my notes and see what's changed since froyo ^_^

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 19, 2011, 1:31:49 PM3/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well, I think I have stated clearly in my post.
No 3D acceleration at this moment.
And in another post, I said we already have
partially working code. If someone who
has mesa experiences wants to help,
drop me an email.
Thanks!