Gingerbread is baked

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 17, 2010, 7:10:36 PM12/17/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Gingerbread has been properly replicated to the production servers.

First things first: I would greatly appreciate if everyone could avoid
syncing immediately. So, "all clear, but please proceed with caution
to avoid accidents".

The servers are currently slow with all the traffic. The fine people
at kernel.org are doing a great job at keeping them running under the
load (and I genuinely mean that). Really, please, if you're only
curious and don't intend to immediately build Gingerbread and port it
to hardware, waiting a few hours or a few days would help the entire
community.

Here are the branches that you care about:

-android-2.3_r1 is the exact code that was used to build GRH55, which
is the version that is shipping on Nexus S.

-gingerbread is the mirror of Google's internal development branch for
2.3, i.e. it's very close to what's in android-2.3_r1 but not quite
identical (this reflects the multiple levels of approvals that
last-minute changes go through).

-master contains Gingerbread plus all the contributions received
through AOSP that had missed Google's internal merge window for
Gingerbread (those will be in Honeycomb)

-temporarily, a branch called froyo-plus-aosp contains the state of
master as it was before I started the push. If you were working in
master before this morning and find that the gingerbread changes are
causing you trouble, this'll let you temporarily get back to a
pre-gingerbread state.

As usual, all platform contributions should be uploaded against the
master branch.

If you already have a previously synced client (e.g. froyo), here's
how you can minimize the impact on the servers while syncing one of
the new branches (e.g. gingerbread):

-sync that existing client.
-in a new directory, repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b gingerbread
-cp -R <froyo_client>/.repo/projects .repo
-repo sync the new client.

Please also follow the other threads on this group for more
information about specific aspects of this release.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.