How about installing on TOP of Ubuntu?

meanderingthemaze

Jan 26, 2011, 1:42:21 PM1/26/11
to Android-x86
So, I just posted about having a version for Lenovo Thinkpad x61
Tablet. But, is there a way to run Android apps full screen (fit to
screen and/or window) ON ubuntu. I ran across these articles but it
seems to be basically running the development environment rather than
running natively.

http://hackaday.com/2009/05/26/ubuntu-gets-android-apps/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Run-Android-Applications-on-Ubuntu-115152.shtml

Would it be easier to emulate an Android environment on Ubuntu rather
than make Android compatible with all the different device drivers?
Since Ubuntu (or other flavors of linux) already did a lot of the
heavy lifting on supporting lots of hardware devices, are we
reinventing the wheel so to speak by doing it again for Android.
Touchscreen drivers already exist for my tablet in Ubuntu for example.

The other advantage is that when you need a more powerful productivity
environment, you can jump back to Ubuntu for example, and use
OpenOffice to type a letter or something.

Unlike developing for apps, I'd rather have an Android window that
completely integrates into your hardware and window experience. It
seems silly to have a large window with a picture of a phone in
portrait mode and a permanent soft keyboard. I want the Android space
to fill up the screen or contract to a window. Soft keyboard should
only come up when you're in a text field and if you have the tablet in
convertible mode for example.

That might even be better than running Android natively and
separately.