Child Care in Scientology

Povmec

Dec 30, 2005, 10:02:41 PM12/30/05
I found this in google groups, posted by D. Erlich in 1994. It is
splitted in three posts:

Reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/0f6033a63e578122
Reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/332298f6ccb2741e
Reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/472698d3c9cfdc22

(I couldn't find an html version online, so I html'd one for easier
reading at http://www.xenu-directory.net/accounts/anon19940907.html)

Excerpt:

«We went to the sick bay which had, I think, eight children in it.
These children were all being mistreated. I do not mean medically,
only, I mean mistreated in the sense of abused.
I observed the following:

1) Sick children were being diagnosed by the MO; as it turned out they
were misdiagnosed by the MO.
2) [The son] was forced to work while ill. He was supposed to be
looking after the other sick children.
3) The children were not being sent to a doctor - for reasons of FP
[financial planning].
4) The space was filthy and inadequate.
5) The sick children had no beds; they were lying on a concrete floor.
6) There was no adult supervision of these ill children.
7) Children suffering from different contagious diseases were all in
the same space.
8) The children were dirty and un-hygienic.

We talked to the MO at length. [The son], it turned out, had complained
of other symptoms (sore head, eyes and throat). The MO said he only had
one sore in his mouth and was not sick. Apparently when he asked the MO
if he could lie down, the MO said he was not sick and had to stay on
post, looking after the other children. I also discovered that the MO
had received no money from ASHO for the care of ASHO children and
therefore there was no money to send the kids to the doctor. All he was
doing was giving the children vitamins for their illnesses.

The "sick bay" was an approximately 5 x 18 foot screened off porch area
outdoors, with a concrete floor. One of the children, a three-year-old,
was lying on a very thin kitchen mat, on the floor. Others were
bare-foot on the concrete floor.

The MO told us that if [mother] wanted her son to go to the doctor, she
would have to go to ASHO and put in a PO[?]. I told him that all the
children who had not seen a doctor should do so, as he was not
qualified to diagnose illness. At this point he became antagonistic and
said they did not need a doctor and he did not want to discuss it
further. I said to [mother] that the conditions in the sick bay were
atrocious and if he [the Medical Officer] was not going to do anything
about it, I was going to call the Board of Health.

The MO said, of course, that what I was doing was a suppressive act, as
indeed, it is per policy. I replied that what he was doing to those
children was a suppressive act, and left. We went to ASHO to put in a
rush PO. After waiting, I became concerned about [the son] and told his
mother that I would pay for his medicine and that they could pay me
later. Doctor Victoria Sammler diagnosed [son] as having Vincent's
disease (a bacterial infection of the mouth), an eye infection and
inflamed tonsils; also a vitamin B and C deficiency. She prescribed an
antibiotic and eye drops.»

Sad story. I understand that the person who sent this account is
certainly no longer a member of the CoS today (and probably neither at
the time it was sent). I wonder what had become of the children
reported in this letter, are they still in? it was 25 years ago...

MO stands for Medical Officer. What is the scientology definition of a
"Medical Officer"? Is it someone that has the competence, and a license
to diagnose and treat people? What is a PO?

Ray.

Warrior

Dec 31, 2005, 3:24:39 AM12/31/05
In <1135998161....@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Povmec says:

>I found this in google groups, posted by D. Erlich in 1994. It is
>splitted [sic] in three posts:

The correct spelling of Victoria's last name is Samler. See these links:
http://tinyurl.com/cso3w and http://tinyurl.com/87zx2

>disease (a bacterial infection of the mouth), an eye infection and
>inflamed tonsils; also a vitamin B and C deficiency. She prescribed an
>antibiotic and eye drops.
>

>Sad story. I understand that the person who sent this account is
>certainly no longer a member of the CoS today (and probably neither
>at the time it was sent).

Certainly the individual who sent the report was a member of Scientology
at the time. It is evident by the following routing, i.e., who the report was
sent to. An outsider would not know to use the following abbreviations.

To: Mary Sue Hubbard

Copies for info:
Guardian WW May 8, 1981
Guardian US
DG PR US
Watchdog Committee
CO Child Care Org
AG PR CCO Doug Smith

>I wonder what had become of the children reported in this letter, are
>they still in? it was 25 years ago...
>
>MO stands for Medical Officer. What is the scientology definition of a
>"Medical Officer"? Is it someone that has the competence, and a license
>to diagnose and treat people? What is a PO?
>
>Ray.

In Scientology's Sea Organization, a Medical Officer is a staff position
within Division Five -- Qualifications Division. Although Sea Org staff
often refer to the position by the acronym MO, the correct title is
Medical Liaison Officer, or MLO. This position usually is not filled by
someone with medical training. At the time this report was written,
Michael Spearman was the MLO at ASHO Day. He has since left the
Sea Org and has beome a chiropractor. See the following URL:
http://thelatestmagazine.com/Articles/155p17.htm

PO is the abbreviation for purchase order.

By the way, in May of 1981, I was the Financial Planning Chairman,
Director of Disbursements, Payroll Officer, Purchasing Officer, and
Treasury Secretary at ASHO Day.
http://warrior.xenu.ca/19790515fpminihat.jpg
http://warrior.xenu.ca/19780209dirdisbfullhat.jpg
http://warrior.xenu.ca/19781123dirdisbfullyhatted.jpg
http://warrior.xenu.ca/19790906fullyhattedtreassec.jpg
http://warrior.xenu.ca/19810618bdgame1stplace_sm.jpg

I was there at the time the report was written, and I absolutely
attest that the report is factual. Out of respect for the person
who wrote the report I will honor the person's wish to remain
anonymous.

Check out Aides Order 203-71 for more evidence of child abuse
and neglect within Scientology: http://tinyurl.com/cd7jg

Warrior - Sunshine disinfects
"Scientology: it's about deception."
http://warrior.xenu.ca

Mike Gormez

Dec 31, 2005, 6:12:52 AM12/31/05
"On 30 Dec 2005 19:02:41 -0800, "Povmec" <pov...@xenu-directory.net> wrote
in <1135998161....@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>I found this in google groups, posted by D. Erlich in 1994. It is
>splitted in three posts:
>
>Reference:
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/0f6033a63e578122
>Reference:
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/332298f6ccb2741e
>Reference:
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/472698d3c9cfdc22
>
>(I couldn't find an html version online, so I html'd one for easier
>reading at http://www.xenu-directory.net/accounts/anon19940907.html)

Good find! And I like how you have HTML'ized the Terminology FAQ

A quote:

As I said earlier, this has been an ongoing situation for years. It
places Scientology at risk, as has been evidenced by flaps that have
occurred in the past, and places Scientologists at risk, in that it poses
a very real danger for the children, in many ways. For instance, I saw
children playing in the parking lot at the Child Care Org. I know that one
child was killed doing this at Flag a few years ago.

That was also mentioned during the Clearwater hearings in 1982:

The other incident was another reason why they moved most of the
children off of the base at that time is there was a child -- because of
where the parking lot was situated at the back of the Fort Harrison, the
children were right next to the parking lot. And a child got out of that
area and was killed behind that parking lot area. . . MR. HATCHETT: Did
you actually witness that yourself? MS. VAN SCHAICK: No, I did not. MR.
HATCHETT: How close did you know that the evidence may have been true? Did
someone tell you or - MS. VAN SCHAICK: Someone told me. And there was a
lot of uproar at that

http://www.lermanet.com/82cwcommission/4-001-077.htm

--
Mike Gormez