CHILD "CARE" IN SCN 2/3

1 view

dennis....@support.com

Sep 7, 1994, 11:41:22 PM9/7/94

úÿ [ ...Continued From Previous Message ]

suppressive act, as indeed, it is per policy. I replied that what
he was doing to those children was a suppressive act, and left.
We went to ASHO to put in a rush PO. After waiting, I
became concerned about [the son] and told his mother that I
would pay for his medicine and that they could pay me later.
Doctor Victoria Sammler diagnosed [son] as having Vincent's
disease (a bacterial infection of the mouth), an eye infection
and inflamed tonsils; also a vitamin B and C deficiency. She
prescribed an antibiotic and eye drops.

To paraphrase what happened in the days that followed, the
Guardian's Office terminals were called in because of my
"threat". At first they were more anxious that I withdraw my
threat than handling the children, but I think they realized that
my true intention was to help. I maintained my position (the
"threat" seemed to be the only leverage that would get
anything done about the children) and visited the Child Care
Org daily.

The next day all the children were taken to the doctor. As far
as I know the MO is in Ethics, the AG was asked for a report
on the situationby his seniors, ASHO finally came through with
some money for the CCO for the first time in weeks, and the
AG has assured me, that the children will generally be better
cared for. I was also told that Jane Kember was in the process
of doing an eval on the Child Care Org. In view of this I fail to
see how the danger condition in the sick bay persisted during
the past two weeks.

I am pleased that the above has happened, but one battle does
not the war win. I began to look at other Sea Org kids and
made the following observations:

They are not receiving an adequate education.

One six year old couldn't even read simple words (and,
but).

The quarters smell. Dirty.

The children are almost all dirty. Many run around
naked.

There is a terrible lack of dental care, evidenced by the
dirty teeth of some children I saw. I assume they have
never seen a dentist.

There is a lack of quality and qualified personnel to look
after the kids. People that are on the RPF are sent to
look after the kids. Lack of stable terminals for kids.

Unhatted personnel, not interested in the post.

This is all symptomatic of a general attitude that children are
less important than posts. During my battle with the Child Care
Org and GO terminals, I had to quote very simple, basic,
almost self-explanatory, LRH tech such as "Insist that when a
person is ill they get medical treatment" (The Way to
Happiness) "When children become unimportant to society, etc
(SOS). Children are our future, etc. I find it a sad indictment
that this was necessary even.

As I said earlier, this has been an ongoing situation for years.
It places Scientology at risk, as has been evidenced by flaps
that have occurred in the past, and places Scientologists at
risk, in that it poses a very real danger for the children, in
many ways. For instance, I saw children playing in the parking
lot at the Child Care Org. I know that one child was killed
doing this at Flag a few years ago. There is the added factor of
what this kind of lack of concern does to the children.

Something must be done to terminatedly handle this situation.
If we are to forge the new civilization, let it be civilized. Let us
be civilized enough to care for those who trust us with their
lives. Perhaps there is existing policy, but it is not enforced,
here or at Flag. Perhaps it needs to be re-evaluated. In any
case, in order for any policy to be followed, there has to be a
drastic re-evaluation of priorities in the Church. Children are a
priority. They are our future. They do deserve more from us.

It is my hope that effective change in this area will soon come
about.

Sincerely,

[name deleted]

Cl. VI, OTIV