Eclipse plugin for Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo)

Rob Tanner

Jun 25, 2009, 4:31:43 PM6/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
When will a version of the plugin be released for Eclipse 3.5 (or can
I simply use the version for 3.4). I would like to use the new
Eclipse, but GWT has become one of my main tools.

Thanks,
Rob

Rajeev Dayal

Jun 25, 2009, 4:37:40 PM6/25/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
We're currently working on Eclipse 3.5 support. We don't have an exact release date for an Eclipse 3.5-compatible version of the plugin, but it will be coming soon (weeks, not months).

Alex Rudnick

Jun 25, 2009, 5:17:16 PM6/25/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
If you enjoyed this thread, you may also like these:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/a27148f95036d847
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/a4bc1419b5f6c247

We're working on it *right now*, rest assured!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Rob Tanner<caspe...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Alex Rudnick
swe, gwt, atl

Alex K

Jun 25, 2009, 5:45:10 PM6/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Awesome! Count me in. Me is also waitin'. :-)
FYI: Google Plugin 3.4 is not compatible with Eclipse 3.5.0

On Jun 25, 2:17 pm, Alex Rudnick <a...@google.com> wrote:
> If you enjoyed this thread, you may also like these:http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> We're working on it *right now*, rest assured!

Van

Jun 30, 2009, 10:44:04 AM6/30/09
to Google Web Toolkit
The sooner the better. My team is developing a large GWT application
and need to move to Galileo ASAP.

Van

On Jun 25, 5:17 pm, Alex Rudnick <a...@google.com> wrote:
> If you enjoyed this thread, you may also like these:http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> We're working on it *right now*, rest assured!

David

Jul 1, 2009, 7:56:54 AM7/1/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Just out of curiosity:

What are the main drivers to move to Galileo? We are also working on a
large GWT application and are currently standardized on Ganymede. Are
there new features really worth the switch ?

David

Thomas Matthijs

Jul 1, 2009, 8:30:01 AM7/1/09
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 13:56, David<david...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity:
>
> What are the main drivers to move to Galileo? We are also working on a
> large GWT application and are currently standardized on Ganymede. Are
> there new features really worth the switch ?
>
> David

But it's new and shiney !

David

Jul 1, 2009, 6:26:12 PM7/1/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is always a good reason!

Kango_V

Jul 2, 2009, 7:25:41 AM7/2/09
to Google Web Toolkit
That's the best reason ;)

On Jul 1, 11:26 pm, David <david.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that is always a good reason!
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Thomas

Ariejan de Vroom

Jul 2, 2009, 11:27:40 AM7/2/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Count me in for the 3.5 plugin!

I'm using 3.5 because there's a cocoa version that runs übersmooth on
my Mac ;-) Carbon is plain ugly and quite slow.

mattb

Jul 3, 2009, 4:25:06 PM7/3/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I vote for new and shiny! Really cocoa is way better. - mattb

brett.wooldridge

Jul 6, 2009, 8:38:22 PM7/6/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Ya, some of us have been waiting a long time to go to Java 6 on Mac OS
X. Java 6 is only available (on Mac) as a 64-bit binary, so the old
Carbon-based Eclipse wouldn't run on it (SWT native bindings and
whotnot). Now, I'm running Galileo AND Ganymede (for GWT). But I'm
all itchy to ditch Ganymede completely. :-)

-Brett

Nik

Jul 21, 2009, 6:28:52 PM7/21/09
to Google Web Toolkit
We're now heading towards months, not weeks.
Any progress?

On Jun 25, 10:17 pm, Alex Rudnick <a...@google.com> wrote:
> If you enjoyed this thread, you may also like these:http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> We're working on it *right now*, rest assured!

Rajeev Dayal

Jul 22, 2009, 11:46:23 AM7/22/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, this has taken longer than expected, but we're now on the finishing touches. We should have something out there within the week.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Yaakov

Jul 23, 2009, 12:01:57 PM7/23/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Rajeev,

You guys are still going to support the version for Eclipse 3.4,
right?

I am just hoping that you guys don't forget that not everyone can be
Google Wave and code against a constantly (and very rapidly) moving
platform.

Thanks,
Yaakov.

On Jul 22, 11:46 am, Rajeev Dayal <rda...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Yes, this has taken longer than expected, but we're now on the finishing
> touches. We should have something out there within the week.
>
> Thanks,
> Rajeev
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nik <nikcol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We're now heading towards months, not weeks.
> > Any progress?
>
> > On Jun 25, 10:17 pm, Alex Rudnick <a...@google.com> wrote:
> > > If you enjoyed this thread, you may also like these:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa....
> > ..

Miguel Méndez

Jul 23, 2009, 1:35:18 PM7/23/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry.  Release 1.1 of the plugin will support Eclipse 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5.  However, we are considering deprecating support for Eclipse 3.3 in the 1.2 release of our plugin.
--
Miguel

SuperEva

Jul 25, 2009, 8:57:30 PM7/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
So...just curious...when will the plugin be ready. Some of us have
been waiting over a month. It is very unfortunate the way this is
delaying our project. Do you recommend we move back to 3.4 Eclipse or
turn elsewhere for solutions? Or is the fix really gonna come within
the next week?

Appreciate a quick response,
Eva
> Miguel- Hide quoted text -

Isaac Truett

Jul 26, 2009, 1:54:19 PM7/26/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
It certainly is unfortunate that you would be delaying your project
because of a single convenience plugin. I would recommend that you
strive for more self-sufficiency and less sense of entitlement.

Gugas

Jul 27, 2009, 4:43:42 AM7/27/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Not to defend dependency on the plugin, but the fact is that gwt
coders keep saying that it will be out very shortly and this has kept
a good number of us hanging.
I understand that the realease has been delayed because quality comes
first, as it should, but it would show a bit more professionalism if
gwt stopped making announcements for "the end of the week" and only
come up with a date when they are sure of it.
Best reagrds

On 26 Jul, 18:54, Isaac Truett <itru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It certainly is unfortunate that you would be delaying your project
> because of a single convenience plugin. I would recommend that you
> strive for more self-sufficiency and less sense of entitlement.

Miguel Méndez

Jul 27, 2009, 11:15:21 AM7/27/09
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Gugas <carlos.mf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not to defend dependency on the plugin, but the fact is that gwt
coders keep saying that it will be out very shortly and this has kept
a good number of us hanging.
I understand that the realease has been  delayed because quality comes
first, as it should, but it would show a bit more professionalism if
gwt stopped making announcements for "the end of the week" and only
come up with a date when they are sure of it.
Best reagrds

I understand where you are coming from.  On our part, end of last week was an honest estimate.  However, we found a couple of small issues that we wanted to correct and so we held off.  In general, we do not announce releases.  This is a special case because we were behind on eclipse 3.5 support.  This should be the last time that we are not ready with a plugin update the moment eclipse releases a new version; we have made changes to our process.

--
Miguel

Isaac Truett

Jul 27, 2009, 11:31:29 AM7/27/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
None of the plugin developers has made an announcement or offered a
release date. They have responded to questions from anxious developers
eager to see the new version by offering their own hopes or
expectations for delivery. That's more then you get from many
projects, partially for the very reason we see here: when those
aspirations aren't met, people who interpreted them as official
commitments start complaining.

I shouldn't have to haul out my soap box here. Have a little patience
and put this in perspective. You are not paying customers and no one
here is under any obligation to you. If you want hard delivery dates
and commitments, get out your checkbook and see if anyone bites. A
polite "how's that coming along" inquiry is, I would think, an
appreciated sign of community interest. But if you want to sit in the
back seat and yell "are we there yet" at the drivers, either accept
that "soon" is a valid answer or, if you're lucky enough to get
something more precise, understand that it's somebody sticking their
neck out trying to be helpful.

be announced.

Yuri C

Jul 27, 2009, 12:32:08 PM7/27/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I agree with Isaac 100%. The attitude was completely inappropriate.

If a project is time sensitive then it wasn't wise to take the risk
and
wait for the next release. When one takes risks one should only
blame him/her-self.

We should thank google developers for being responsive, for the
dialogue that we (GWT users) can have here with them.

On Jul 27, 11:31 am, Isaac Truett <itru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> None of the plugin developers has made an announcement or offered a
> release date. They have responded to questions from anxious developers
> eager to see the new version by offering their own hopes or
> expectations for delivery. That's more then you get from many
> projects, partially for the very reason we see here: when those
> aspirations aren't met, people who interpreted them as official
> commitments start complaining.
>
> I shouldn't have to haul out my soap box here. Have a little patience
> and put this in perspective. You are not paying customers and no one
> here is under any obligation to you. If you want hard delivery dates
> and commitments, get out your checkbook and see if anyone bites. A
> polite "how's that coming along" inquiry is, I would think, an
> appreciated sign of community interest. But if you want to sit in the
> back seat and yell "are we there yet" at the drivers, either accept
> that "soon" is a valid answer or, if you're lucky enough to get
> something more precise, understand that it's somebody sticking their
> neck out trying to be helpful.

> be announced.

Gugas

Jul 27, 2009, 2:03:46 PM7/27/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Just to clarify a few things:
1. I demand absolutely nothing and I have nothing but high regard for
the coders at google who develop the gwt framework.
2. I have no project on hold for lack of the plugin. I was simply
wanting to test it on Galileo, see how well it works.
3. My earlier comment was in regard to expectations of delivery that
have been given.
4. I use the GWT framework, and I also promote it and help others
around me use it.
5. Being branded by Mr. Isaac as someone who rudely seats back and
yells is utterly offensive to me. I am sure those comments cannot come
from someone who has any regard for the comunity of developers that
help GWT grow.

On 27 Jul, 16:31, Isaac Truett <itru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> None of the plugin developers has made an announcement or offered a
> release date. They have responded to questions from anxious developers
> eager to see the new version by offering their own hopes or
> expectations for delivery. That's more then you get from many
> projects, partially for the very reason we see here: when those
> aspirations aren't met, people who interpreted them as official
> commitments start complaining.
>
> I shouldn't have to haul out my soap box here. Have a little patience
> and put this in perspective. You are not paying customers and no one
> here is under any obligation to you. If you want hard delivery dates
> and commitments, get out your checkbook and see if anyone bites. A
> polite "how's that coming along" inquiry is, I would think, an
> appreciated sign of community interest. But if you want to sit in the
> back seat and yell "are we there yet" at the drivers, either accept
> that "soon" is a valid answer or, if you're lucky enough to get
> something more precise, understand that it's somebody sticking their
> neck out trying to be helpful.

> be announced.

Juraj Vitko

Jul 28, 2009, 4:14:39 PM7/28/09
to Google Web Toolkit
If you know anything about software development, then you know that
any and all development time estimation is just a wild guess.
And it is up to the one who asks for the estimations, to not confuse
them with truth. (ok don't tell that to your clients or bosses:)
The rule of thumb I use: if it's not _done_ and _ready_ at the present
time, then pretend that it doesn't exist.

petB

Jul 29, 2009, 12:05:55 PM7/29/09
to Google Web Toolkit

On Jul 28, 10:14 pm, Juraj Vitko <juraj.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you know anything about software development, then you know that
> any and all development time estimation is just a wild guess.

It is still a good practice to provide release estimates, whatever
imprecise.

I just finished one (not web oriented) project and would like to start
a new one with GWT. I need to decide if to instal Eclipse 3.5 and wait
for GWT plugin or go with Eclipse 3.4. As I want to read some
literature before, waiting a week or more is not a problem. Not
having this information, downgrading Eclipse to 3.4 and then upgrading
it again within few days would be annoying.

Gugas

Jul 30, 2009, 10:54:55 AM7/30/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Well done everybody!!!
We can crack open the champaigne!
3.5 plugin is out!!!

Marton Szucs

Jul 31, 2009, 2:58:13 AM7/31/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hurray! :D

Thousands of thanks to the GWT-plugin team (as we say it here in Sweden ;)

andreas

Jul 31, 2009, 4:55:58 AM7/31/09
to Google Web Toolkit