Is the cold weather due to global warming - or am I a twat?

1 view

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 6:27:32 PM12/28/08
Dear follow UPM posters,

I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
couple of weeks.

Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?

hb

--
Thatcherism is like chronic heart disease ...
you may not know you suffer from it, but it'll kill you in the end.

David Davis is against a homosexual database:
http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 6:34:59 PM12/28/08
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:27:32 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>Dear follow UPM posters,
>
>I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>couple of weeks.
>
>Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?

twats are useful....

just in case you're not trolling....
local temperature is not global temperature

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

Cawshus

Dec 28, 2008, 7:03:00 PM12/28/08
abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote in

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:27:32 GMT, hummingbird
> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>Dear follow UPM posters,
>>
>>I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>>bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>>temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>>couple of weeks.
>>
>>Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>>bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>
> twats are useful....
>
> just in case you're not trolling....
> local temperature is not global temperature

More succinctly, weather is not climate, but Hummingbird has been around
long enought to realise that OT is OT.

--
Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups. So do many others.
Gmail posters are currently scored down pending troll filter work.

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 7:04:00 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:34:59 +0100, abelard wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:27:32 GMT, hummingbird
> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>Dear follow UPM posters,
>>
>>I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>>bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>>temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>>couple of weeks.
>>
>>Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>>bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>
> twats are useful....
>
> just in case you're not trolling....
> local temperature is not global temperature

I think Franklin knows that abelard. He v smart. Unlike the silly aracari.

However, his question reminds me of another interesting question. There may
still be people in the universe that haven't seen this little gem. So I'll
post it for their benefit.

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington
chemistry mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so 'profound'
that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is,
of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

**BONUS QUESTION** Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
(absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law,
(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or
some variant, but fell short in producing a demonstration argument. One
student however wrote the following: "First, we need to know how the
mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that the
souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think we can
safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.
Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering
Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world
today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of
their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of
these religions and since people do not belong to MORE than one
religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With the birth and
death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to
increase exponentially. Now we look at the rate of change of the volume
in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and
pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand
proportionately as the souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes
over.

Considering then the postulate presented to me by Teresa K. during my
Freshman year: that 'it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with
you' and taking into account the fact that over two years later, I still
have not succeeded in having relations with her; then #2 cannot be true,
and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze."

This student received the only "A" given.

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 7:08:09 PM12/28/08
On 29 Dec 2008 11:03:00 +1100, Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here> wrote:

>abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:27:32 GMT, hummingbird
>> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dear follow UPM posters,
>>>
>>>I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>>>bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>>>temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>>>couple of weeks.
>>>
>>>Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>>>bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>>
>> twats are useful....
>>
>> just in case you're not trolling....
>> local temperature is not global temperature

>More succinctly, weather is not climate, but Hummingbird has been around
>long enought to realise that OT is OT.

the person posing as hummingbird is a forger

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 7:10:38 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:04:00 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:34:59 +0100, abelard wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:27:32 GMT, hummingbird
>> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dear follow UPM posters,
>>>
>>>I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>>>bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>>>temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>>>couple of weeks.
>>>
>>>Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>>>bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>>
>> twats are useful....
>>
>> just in case you're not trolling....
>> local temperature is not global temperature
>
>I think Franklin knows that abelard. He v smart. Unlike the silly aracari.

i see little evidence that the one you call franklin has much of
substance to say...
anyone like that is quite capable of considerable reserves of
ignorance

Adler Berriman "Barry" Seal

Dec 28, 2008, 7:33:35 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:04:00 +0000, John Stubbings wrote:

> Hell

I am in it.
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Seal#Further_reading
Billy "Bear" Bottoms, My Brother In Law http://tinyurl.com/7gcrld

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 7:36:00 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:10:38 +0100, abelard wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:04:00 +0000, John Stubbings
> <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:34:59 +0100, abelard wrote:

>>> twats are useful....
>>>
>>> just in case you're not trolling....
>>> local temperature is not global temperature
>>
>>I think Franklin knows that abelard. He v smart. Unlike the silly aracari.
>
> i see little evidence that the one you call franklin has much of
> substance to say...
> anyone like that is quite capable of considerable reserves of
> ignorance

We're all capable of that.

By the way Franklin blurs the edges a bit sometimes, but he's not forging.
If you look at the headers it's always obvious it's him.

<snip>

aracari

Dec 28, 2008, 7:36:44 PM12/28/08

Franklin, why don't you crawl back into the sewer?
and stop posting forgeries in my ACF posting name?

Read what people say about you Franklin:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5sjbkb

...and also read how one person explained your insane
behaviour in my sig below.

---More Franklin Slime follows---

Franklin, posting as 'hummingbird' wrote this on uk.politics.misc
and alt.comp.freeware:

--
July/2008: Franklin's obsession with HB explained by a poster:

"F[ranklin] has been accusing HB of being gay forever now, but he follows
HB around from newsgroup to newsgroup like a person whose advances have
been spurned. He's obviously bitter about something and works hard to
discredit and smear HB.

Now doesn't it seem way more likely that F is gay and HB has declined
his advances, leaving F one bitter bloke? Bitter enough to be obsessive
about trying to destroy HB? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!"

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 7:43:05 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 10:27 am, hummingbird

Global warming is a myth. All of its predictions are based on "fudged
& fiddled" computer models that failed to predict the actual observed
cooling over the last decade - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,24036602-25717,00.html

Believe what you see, not what the politicians & activists tell you.
Resist the propaganda; go with the facts.

Brian

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 7:50:38 PM12/28/08
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:43:05 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 10:27 am, hummingbird
><whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>> Dear follow UPM posters,
>>
>> I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>> bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>> temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
>> couple of weeks.
>>
>> Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
>> bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?

>> Thatcherism is like chronic heart disease ...

>> you may not know you suffer from it, but it'll kill you in the end.
>>
>> David Davis is against a homosexual database:http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/
>
>Global warming is a myth.

rest binned unread

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 7:51:28 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:36:00 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

so he's a silly brat with a chip...
why should i care

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 7:52:57 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 00:08, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> On 29 Dec 2008 11:03:00 +1100, Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here>
> wrote:
>
>>abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote in

>>> twats are useful....
>>>
>>> just in case you're not trolling....
>>> local temperature is not global temperature
>
>>More succinctly, weather is not climate, but Hummingbird has
>>been around long enought to realise that OT is OT.
>
> the person posing as hummingbird is a forger

My dear Abelarrd, please don't display such feigned naievety.

"Hummingbird" is the name of a character Chris Millbank used when
posting to the Usenet. Other people too have posted using the
same character "Hummingbird".

Currently Chris posts to uk.politics.misc using the sockpuppet
"Aracari". Before that he posted to that group using a variety of
other sockpuppets. In UPM he had to discard the nym
"Hummingbird" several years ago.

So I have chosen to use the "Hummingbird" in U.P.M. It's rather
too gay for me but, on balance, I like it.

I make it clear in my headers that I am not Chris Millbank. I have
posted announcements. Almost every single header I use is
different to those used by Chris Millbank with the exception of
the name "Hummingbird".

If you think those headers are a forgery then the post must be the
worst forgery around!

Chris has asked around for advice about this and has been told
authoritatively that he does not have exclusive access to a name
on the Usenet.

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 7:53:53 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:36:44 +0000, aracari wrote:

hummingbird why are you posting as aracari in alt.comp.freeware.

That's another posters nym here.

You're accusing Franklin of similar and then doing the same thing yourself.

I expect that cretinous sockpuppet of yours who's been following me all
weekend will be along in a moment. Is he a homo?

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 8:01:20 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:43:05 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>

> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 29, 10:27 am, hummingbird
> ><whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
> >> Dear follow UPM posters,
>
> >> I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
> >> bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
> >> temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
> >> couple of weeks.
>
> >> Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
> >> bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
> >> Thatcherism is like chronic heart disease ...
> >> you may not know you suffer from it, but it'll kill you in the end.
>
> >> David Davis is against a homosexual database:http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/
>
> >Global warming is a myth.
>
> rest binned unread
>
> --
> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic, economics

>  energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

>   all that is necessary for       []     walk quietly and carry
>   the triumph of evil is that      []           a big stick.
>   good people do nothing     []   trust actions not words
>                     only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?
Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.

Brian

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 8:01:22 PM12/28/08

no reason at all, but not a chip, a grudge, with aracari, so have i

i don't like being called a forger either

and i still haven't figured why you're so cool at being used

because from what i remember you jumped around like zeberdee telling
everyone it wasn't you posting

that can't have felt good

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:08:53 PM12/28/08
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:01:20 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:43:05 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"

>> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>> >Global warming is a myth.
>>
>> rest binned unread

>Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?

>Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.

you've made it clear you're an idiot...
that's quite sufficient to stop me wasting time with you

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:12:15 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:01:22 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

not my problem

>i don't like being called a forger either

not my problem

>and i still haven't figured why you're so cool at being used

mostly trivia doesn't interest me

>because from what i remember you jumped around like zeberdee telling
>everyone it wasn't you posting

i merely point it out when idiots forge me...and
when it's enough to mislead...

>that can't have felt good

it's a minor irritation at most
only idiots do it...

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 8:16:10 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 00:10, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> anyone like that is quite capable of considerable reserves of
> ignorance.

Dearest Abelard, we are all ignorant in certain matters. Those who
think they are knowledgable in all matters are often the most
ignorant of all.

One doesn't have to know everything. For instance, I know little
about deep sea diving, producing movies, cutting hair, repairing a
tug-boat, mining for diamonds, and so on.

As you know the real skill is in knowing where our own knowledge runs
out. And then in locating suitable knowledge.

As the saying goes: "The more I know, the more I realize I don't
know".

--
help Dai Davis fight against a homosexual database
http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:19:14 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:16:10 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>On Mon 29 Dec08 00:10, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote
>>
>> anyone like that is quite capable of considerable reserves of
>> ignorance.
>>

>Dearest Abelard, we are all ignorant in certain matters. Those who
>think they are knowledgable in all matters are often the most
>ignorant of all.
>
>One doesn't have to know everything. For instance, I know little
>about deep sea diving, producing movies, cutting hair, repairing a
>tug-boat, mining for diamonds, and so on.
>
>As you know the real skill is in knowing where our own knowledge runs
>out. And then in locating suitable knowledge.
>
>As the saying goes: "The more I know, the more I realize I don't
>know".

i'm not interested in what you don't know

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 8:21:29 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 00:36, aracari <spam...@vailable.here.com> wrote

> Franklin, why don't you go back
> and stop posting in UPM
>
> People say good things about you Franklin:
>
> ...and one person explained your positive behaviour as helpfulness

Hello Chris, as you know when I am in character as "Hummingbird" I
say ... I do not know what you are talking about or who Franklin is
and I have never posted using any name other than my real one and I
was christened Hummingbird at birth and have used it on the Usenet
for 25 years before the Internet was created.

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 8:22:12 PM12/28/08

That's the only point I disagree with you on. Aracari isn't an idiot. He's
a subversive deviant.

acf used to be a great group.

Anyway, I haven't any real argument with you. No hard feelings I hope.

Toodle loo.

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:29:38 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:22:12 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

no problems at this point

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 8:39:23 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 12:08 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:01:20 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>

> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:

> >> rest binned unread
> >Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?
> >Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.
>
> you've made it clear you're an idiot...
> that's quite sufficient to stop me wasting time with you
>
> --
> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic, economics

>  energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

>   all that is necessary for       []     walk quietly and carry
>   the triumph of evil is that      []           a big stick.
>   good people do nothing     []   trust actions not words
>                     only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

Ah yes, the typical "final" word from the defeated fairytale fanatic.
It would appear from the other replies you've been getting that you've
made it clear that YOU'RE the idiot. Or is that another fact you'll
choose to selectively ignore?

Brian

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:40:54 PM12/28/08

>Ah yes, the typical "final" word from the defeated fairytale fanatic.

>It would appear from the other replies you've been getting that you've
>made it clear that YOU'RE the idiot. Or is that another fact you'll
>choose to selectively ignore?

that you continue to blather...as you're an obvious idiot...
is interesting

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 8:45:48 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 01:19, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:16:10 GMT, hummingbird
> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 29 Dec08 00:10, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote
>>>
>>> anyone like that is quite capable of considerable reserves of
>>> ignorance.
>>>

>>Dearest Abelard, we are all ignorant in certain matters. Those
>>who think they are knowledgable in all matters are often the
>>most ignorant of all.
>>
>>One doesn't have to know everything. For instance, I know little
>>about deep sea diving, producing movies, cutting hair, repairing
>>a tug-boat, mining for diamonds, and so on.
>>
>>As you know the real skill is in knowing where our own knowledge
>>runs out. And then in locating suitable knowledge.
>>
>>As the saying goes: "The more I know, the more I realize I
>>don't know".
>
> i'm not interested in what you don't know

Abelard, I dare say you're not interested in what I said I didn't
know because the chances are that you don't know those things
either.

You also misunderstood what I posted. I posted about knowing where
one's knowledge runs out.

Not everyone appears to have the insight of where their own limits
of knowledge lie.

For example, Chris Millbank seems almost driven to demonstrate he
knows everything. Not only is that impossible but the need to
behave like that suggests he may have traits of narcissism.

As I'm sure you're aware, narcissism is not simply excessive
vanity but a condition which leads to deliberate disparagement,
intimidation and destruction of "little people" in an attempt to
bolster one's own image.

--
help Dai Davis fight against Database Britain
http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/

extremism is like a chronic disease: it kills you in the end.

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 8:46:30 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 12:40 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:39:23 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>

> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic, economics

>  energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

>   all that is necessary for       []     walk quietly and carry
>   the triumph of evil is that      []           a big stick.
>   good people do nothing     []   trust actions not words
>                     only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

Gee... you haven't done a real good job "binning the rest", have you?
But you have managed to change the tactic to spurting insults and
steer away from trying to defend the embarassing myth of global
warming. I guess you're on track so far.

Brian

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 8:56:03 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 01:01, Brian (Groups) <ussps...@mailinator.com>
wrote

> Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?
> Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.
>
> Brian

What I observe, Brian, is not whether you are right or wrong (and
I suspect you may be right) but how other people try and deal with
information, such as yours, which cuts across their own firmly
held beliefs.

It's a bit like religion where faith in unproven tenets are
fundamental.

So it is with some subjects. In this instance it is global
warming.

There is an actual wish NOT to hear your facts and your argument.
Possibly because it may be too difficult a case to counter. Yet,
countered it must be because otherwise it might damage one of the
core tenets in a person's outlook.

One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
core belief.

Minds like that are stubbornly closed.

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:55:29 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:45:48 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

aracari doesn't seem to have serious problems at present....

why do you expend such effort...

atm your obsessiveness seems more dysfunctional to me

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 8:57:22 PM12/28/08

>Gee... you haven't done a real good job "binning the rest", have you?

>But you have managed to change the tactic to spurting insults and
>steer away from trying to defend the embarassing myth of global
>warming. I guess you're on track so far.

you clearly know very little about global warming...
therefore on that much you are uninteresting

that your wish to be taken seriously is of interest

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 9:07:18 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 01:55, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

When Chris Millbank nowadays posts as Aracari in U.P.M. he is on his
very best behavior.

It was not always so in U.P.M. You and others have had raging
arguments with him and poured much scorn on his methods and ideas.

Unfortunately, Chris Millbank is on anything but his best behavior
when he is in A.C.F. After a long sustained spate of avowedly trying
to damage the group and also the associated Pricelessware website, he
now posts like a thwarted teenager on the rampage.

Chris's current identity in A.C.F. is "Thomas Stevens" (as well as
"Hummingbird"). Chris's behavior in A.C.F. is purely destructive.

One only has to take a quick look at the posts in alt.comp.freeware
made under the name "Thomas Stevens" to see exastly what savage
juvenile hostility Chris is displaying in the posts he makes when not
in U.P.M.

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:06:42 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:56:03 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>On Mon 29 Dec08 01:01, Brian (Groups) <ussps...@mailinator.com>
>wrote
>
>> On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:

>> reedom.com/

>>> rest binned unread

>>> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic,

>>> economics  energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document
>>> calls in year past

>> Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?

>> Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.

>What I observe, Brian, is not whether you are right or wrong (and

>I suspect you may be right) but how other people try and deal with
>information, such as yours, which cuts across their own firmly
>held beliefs.
>
>It's a bit like religion where faith in unproven tenets are
>fundamental.
>
>So it is with some subjects. In this instance it is global
>warming.
>
>There is an actual wish NOT to hear your facts and your argument.
>Possibly because it may be too difficult a case to counter. Yet,
>countered it must be because otherwise it might damage one of the
>core tenets in a person's outlook.
>
>One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
>to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
>core belief.
>
>Minds like that are stubbornly closed.

he is not stating 'facts'......he is making bald and foolish claims...
he has the dogma.......

he doesn't know what he doesn't know......
elsewhere that silliness is part of your tirading

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 9:07:28 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:56:03 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird wrote:

> One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
> to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
> core belief.

Interesting, my bloody subconscious does that every time the misses reckons
she can read the map better than moi...

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:09:39 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:07:18 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

as you say......

>It was not always so in U.P.M. You and others have had raging
>arguments with him and poured much scorn on his methods and ideas.

but that was then....

>Unfortunately, Chris Millbank is on anything but his best behavior
>when he is in A.C.F. After a long sustained spate of avowedly trying
>to damage the group and also the associated Pricelessware website, he
>now posts like a thwarted teenager on the rampage.
>
>Chris's current identity in A.C.F. is "Thomas Stevens" (as well as
>"Hummingbird"). Chris's behavior in A.C.F. is purely destructive.
>
>One only has to take a quick look at the posts in alt.comp.freeware
>made under the name "Thomas Stevens" to see exastly what savage
>juvenile hostility Chris is displaying in the posts he makes when not
>in U.P.M.

you would be sane to accept that is not my problem

if what you say is true, it still is not my problem :-)

are you seeking something of me?

iNcReDuLoUs

Dec 28, 2008, 9:09:47 PM12/28/08
John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:12:15 +0100, abelard wrote:
>
>> it's a minor irritation at most
>> only idiots do it...
>
> That's the only point I disagree with you on. Aracari isn't an idiot.
> He's a subversive deviant.

To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.

--

The best of the best in Freeware
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

ACF PSA: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5g5mdh

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:12:16 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:07:28 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:56:03 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird wrote:
>
>> One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
>> to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
>> core belief.
>
>Interesting, my bloody subconscious does that every time the misses reckons
>she can read the map better than moi...

i've come into a tom tom for chrissy....
it's a brill toy...

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 9:12:05 PM12/28/08

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:21:29 GMT 'hummingbird'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Mon 29 Dec08 00:36, aracari <spam...@vailable.here.com> wrote
>>
>> Franklin, why don't you go back
>> and stop posting in UPM
>>
>> People say good things about you Franklin:
>>
>> ...and one person explained your positive behaviour as helpfulness
>>

>Hello Chris,

Who?

Why don't you get that fukced-up head of yours straightened out.

Mystic Meg promised us you were going to have a full frontal
lobotomy. Why didn't you have it?

>as you know when I am in character as "Hummingbird"

You mean when you are forging my ACF posting name...

...do carry on...

>I say ... I do not know what you are talking about or who Franklin is

I'm pretty much aware of that FranklinSlime.

Not only are you a deranged psychopath, you also appear to have
a multiple personality disorder. Jekyll & Hyde I'd say
...one minute you're sickly and ingratiating, the next, evil and
vicious with your crossposted lies about others. The change can
take place in minutes.

Does that ring a bell? It ought to. You accused another innocent
poster of that problem only a few weeks ago. That's projection.

>and I have never posted using any name other than my real one and I
>was christened Hummingbird at birth and have used it on the Usenet
>for 25 years before the Internet was created.

Since when is evil slime christened? Puhleeeeeaaaaase.

This is how a poster explained your problem. I agree.

It always comes home to haunt you Franklin:

--
July/2008: Franklin's obsession with HB explained by a poster:

"F[ranklin] has been accusing HB of being gay forever now, but he follows
HB around from newsgroup to newsgroup like a person whose advances have
been spurned. He's obviously bitter about something and works hard to
discredit and smear HB.

Now doesn't it seem way more likely that F is gay and HB has declined
his advances, leaving F one bitter bloke? Bitter enough to be obsessive
about trying to destroy HB? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!"

John Stubbings

Dec 28, 2008, 9:17:01 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:12:16 +0100, abelard wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:07:28 +0000, John Stubbings
> <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:56:03 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird wrote:
>>
>>> One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
>>> to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
>>> core belief.
>>
>>Interesting, my bloody subconscious does that every time the misses reckons
>>she can read the map better than moi...
>
> i've come into a tom tom for chrissy....
> it's a brill toy...

and they don't bruise your ego...

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:17:44 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:17:01 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:12:16 +0100, abelard wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:07:28 +0000, John Stubbings
>> <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>>Interesting, my bloody subconscious does that every time the misses reckons
>>>she can read the map better than moi...
>>
>> i've come into a tom tom for chrissy....
>> it's a brill toy...
>
>and they don't bruise your ego...

most of the time they can read the map as well!!

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 9:22:30 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:46:30 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"

I know it hasn't been happening over the last decade, as shown by the
*actual data* you chose to "bin unread". I know that the computer
models with their tweaked and fudged inputs, used to predict the
forthcoming apocalypse, failed to predict the slowing or cooling of
the last decade, and have therefore proved their worth(lessness). I
know that the anthropogenic "causes" represent the worst piece of
"science" I've seen touted about since the "science of eugenics" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics.

Although I have worked in disciplined scientific research &
development for 30+ years, I don't know that much about the current
trendy aspects of the global warming religion. I tend to stick with
good scientific method and dismiss wild and unsubstantiated
sensationalism with a bit of a chuckle; but with concern and sadness
in this case, that so many naive candidates have been taken in by the
propaganda... very much like the pitiful story of eugenics. You should
find it in your bin of denial.

Brian

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 9:29:59 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 02:09, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

Mon vieux Abelard, I seek nothing from you when I'm answering your
questions. You sought information to better understand these
posts and their connection with A.C.F.

If you now feel informed then I am done and infuture there will be
no need for further strange statements from you when you read a
crosspost or a reference to A.C.F.

Please try not to sound so depressed and self-absorbed. You
sometimes sound like Marvin the Paranoid Android in "Hitchhikers
Guide To The Galaxy":

Here I am, brain the size of a planet ...[and]...
I have a terrible pain in all the diodes down my
left side. I’ve asked for them to be replaced but
no one listens. I mean pardon me for breathing,
which is something I never do anyway, so I don’t
know why I even bother to write it. Oh god, I’m
so depressed.

Taken from: http://preview.tinyurl.com/9evo8a

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:29:24 PM12/28/08

your comments are trite and uninteresting

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:33:26 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:29:59 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

i didn't ask you....
i'm more interested in your obsessiveness....

>If you now feel informed then I am done and infuture there will be
>no need for further strange statements from you when you read a
>crosspost or a reference to A.C.F.

i've fine filters....

>Please try not to sound so depressed and self-absorbed. You
>sometimes sound like Marvin the Paranoid Android in "Hitchhikers
>Guide To The Galaxy":

i haven't read that either

> Here I am, brain the size of a planet ...[and]...
> I have a terrible pain in all the diodes down my
> left side. I’ve asked for them to be replaced but
> no one listens. I mean pardon me for breathing,
> which is something I never do anyway, so I don’t
> know why I even bother to write it. Oh god, I’m
> so depressed.
>
> Taken from: http://preview.tinyurl.com/9evo8a

your assumption of depression is in error

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 9:38:32 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 12:56 pm, hummingbird
<whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
> On Mon 29 Dec08 01:01, Brian (Groups) <usspskg...@mailinator.com>

> wrote
>

> > On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:

> > reedom.com/

> >> rest binned unread
>
> >> --
> >> web site atwww.abelard.org-news comment service, logic,
> Minds like that are stubbornly closed.- Hide quoted text -

All so true HB. Since it's not possible to argue against fact, such
mindsets will be forced to take up peripheral issues where /facts/
don't come into it, or will ultimately just resort to casting insults.

It's a real worry though, that the "tenets" you mention can become so
ingrained in the minds of the vulnerable, that they become axiomatic
truths. Hence, global warming questioners/ skeptics/ cynics have now
become "deniers" in even some governmental circles. Next it will be
heretics/ sinners/ witches.

Close parallels with Stalin's "useful idiots" (http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Useful_idiot) me thinks.

Brian

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 9:43:06 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 1:29 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:22:30 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>

> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic, economics

>  energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

>   all that is necessary for       []     walk quietly and carry
>   the triumph of evil is that      []           a big stick.
>   good people do nothing     []   trust actions not words
>                     only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

Sorry, I can see that you clearly don't like facts complicating your
fanciful crusade. I'll rest my case there. Have fun in fantasyland.

Brian

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:49:43 PM12/28/08

>Sorry, I can see that you clearly don't like facts complicating your

>fanciful crusade. I'll rest my case there. Have fun in fantasyland.

you have no case...
just an assortment of rather dull cliches

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

abelard

Dec 28, 2008, 9:51:52 PM12/28/08

>> > Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?

>> > Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.

>> What I observe,  Brian, is not whether you are right or wrong (and

>> I suspect you may be right) but how other people try and deal with
>> information, such as yours, which cuts across their own firmly
>> held beliefs.
>>
>> It's a bit like religion where faith in unproven tenets are
>> fundamental.
>>
>> So it is with some subjects. In this instance it is global
>> warming.
>>
>> There is an actual wish NOT to hear your facts and your argument.
>> Possibly  because it may be too difficult a case to counter.  Yet,
>> countered it must be because otherwise it might damage one of the
>> core tenets in a person's outlook.
>>
>> One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far better
>> to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage to a
>> core belief.
>>
>> Minds like that are stubbornly closed.- Hide quoted text -

>All so true HB. Since it's not possible to argue against fact, such

>mindsets will be forced to take up peripheral issues where /facts/
>don't come into it, or will ultimately just resort to casting insults.
>
>It's a real worry though, that the "tenets" you mention can become so
>ingrained in the minds of the vulnerable, that they become axiomatic
>truths.

you doubtless mean axiomatics like

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

Me.Here

Dec 28, 2008, 10:04:16 PM12/28/08

[FORGERY] hummingbird wrote:
> Dear follow UPM posters,
>
> I'm really Franklin trying to pass myself off as hummingbird
> because I'm gay and in love with the man.

Sums it up nicely I think.

Oh and Franklin, stop crossposting this crap to ACF you fag - no one
gives a shit what you think.

--

ACF FAQ - http://mehere.fileave.com/
31. Am I required to use a certain posting style in ACF.

hummingbird

Dec 28, 2008, 10:12:29 PM12/28/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 02:33, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:29:59 GMT, hummingbird
> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 29 Dec08 02:09, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

Mon choux, I have not assumed you actually have depression. I
asked if you might consider not sounding like a depressive does.
Such as clever Marvin.

Your comments suggest you don't like fiction. You must have read
some classics. You say not Dickens (and perhaps not other
novelists) but then surely a bit of Shakespeare, the romantics or
even the King James's bible.

If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
science fiction.

Oh my. Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times? It's
Dickens's shortest novel. There's nothing sickly gooey about
Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest. He writes with
a dry humor and his characters are often a reflection of problems
in society. Serious novels with a wry sense of humor. Marvellous
expression. Gorgeous yet punctilious language.

Actually H2G2 is pretty good too although it may be too light for
you. This quotation from the first book was posted a few weeks
ago:

<groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/a72f20cd6f1267ff>
OR <http://preview.tinyurl.com/9ko69s>

Best.

Brian (Groups)

Dec 28, 2008, 10:11:35 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 1:51 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:38:32 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>
> you doubtless mean axiomatics like

No. That's something I'd be prepared to support with evidence, such as
the /factual/ temperature records you "binned" from my first post.
It's more statements like "global warming is real" that need to be
relegated to axiomatic truths by the zealots of the faith, because
they can't fly in the face of the blatant concrete evidence to the
contrary.

HTH
Brian

Freddie Freeloader

Dec 28, 2008, 10:30:43 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 7:27 am, hummingbird

<whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
> Dear follow UPM posters,
>
> I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
> bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
> temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next
> couple of weeks.
>
> Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a
> bit of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?

Yes (the latter).

aracARI

Dec 28, 2008, 11:58:29 PM12/28/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:04:16 +1100, Me.Here wrote:

> [FORGERY] hummingbird wrote:
>> Dear follow UPM posters,
>>
>> I'm really Franklin trying to pass myself off as hummingbird
> > because I'm gay and in love with the man.
>
> Sums it up nicely I think.
>
> Oh and Franklin, stop crossposting this crap to ACF you fag - no one
> gives a shit what you think.

WELL SPOKEN, ME. HERE.

HAVE YOU GOT YOUR CLOTHES ON?
--
http://tr.im/2a2r

Thomas Stevens

Dec 29, 2008, 12:12:30 AM12/29/08

Me.Here

Dec 29, 2008, 12:17:17 AM12/29/08

Stop changing your email addy to avoid kill files Ari. You're a tard
and no one gives a shit what you think. Now, get back in the bozo bin
where you belong and let the adults talk.

--

ACF FAQ - http://mehere.fileave.com/

23. Should I regularly change posting pseudonyms (nyms)?
The choice to change your posting nym is solely up to you. When and how
often is also your choice, however, you should be aware that if you
change your nym too often, readers may start to think your sole purpose
for doing so is either to spam or get out of kill-files. You should be
aware that many ACF regulars frown upon nym changing and it isn't
tolerated very well. Further reading on nyms or pseudonyms may be found
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym.
- random(signature) v1.4

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 5:54:28 AM12/29/08

Nice sig :)

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
Destroy the Triumvirate...

Johannes Andersen

Dec 29, 2008, 5:58:10 AM12/29/08

hummingbird wrote:

> On Mon 29 Dec08 01:01, Brian (Groups) <ussps...@mailinator.com>
> wrote

> > On Dec 29, 11:50 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:

> > reedom.com/

> >> rest binned unread
> >>
> >> --
> >> web site atwww.abelard.org- news comment service, logic,

> >> economics energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document
> >> calls in year past

> >> ---------

> > --­-----

> >> all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and car
> >> ry
> >> the triumph of evil is that [] a big s
> >> tick.
> >> good people do nothing [] trust actions not words

> >> only when it's funny -- roger rab
> >> bit
> >>
> >> ---------

> > Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?
> > Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.
> >

> > Brian

> What I observe, Brian, is not whether you are right or wrong (and
> I suspect you may be right) but how other people try and deal with
> information, such as yours, which cuts across their own firmly
> held beliefs.
>
> It's a bit like religion where faith in unproven tenets are
> fundamental.
>
> So it is with some subjects. In this instance it is global
> warming.
>
> There is an actual wish NOT to hear your facts and your argument.
> Possibly because it may be too difficult a case to counter. Yet,
> countered it must be because otherwise it might damage one of the
> core tenets in a person's outlook.

It is an old debating technique called 'jamming'. Just throw anything
at your opponent, make sure that he doesn't get a word in edgewise.
If you should fail and your opponent manages to produce a killer argument,
then there are a few other devices:

"You are just one person's opinion"

"There is no statistical evidence" (ignoring that there is no statistical
evidence for the opposite either).

"It can't be true, because if it was true then it would be false..."

"Your pension fund has shares in the xxxx industry, so you have an interest..."

"Einstein was also wrong about something..."

Dead Paul

Dec 29, 2008, 6:41:16 AM12/29/08
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:43:05 -0800, Brian (Groups) wrote:

> On Dec 29, 10:27 am, hummingbird
> <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>> Dear follow UPM posters,
>>
>> I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>> bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>> temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next couple
>> of weeks.
>>
>> Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a bit
>> of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>>

>> hb
>>
>> --

>> Thatcherism is like chronic heart disease ... you may not know you
>> suffer from it, but it'll kill you in the end.
>>
>> David Davis is against a homosexual
>> database:http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/
>

> Global warming is a myth. All of its predictions are based on "fudged &
> fiddled" computer models that failed to predict the actual observed
> cooling over the last decade -
> http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,24036602-25717,00.html
>
> Believe what you see, not what the politicians & activists tell you.
> Resist the propaganda; go with the facts.
>
> Brian

Any global warming is not anthropogenic. There is not a single
scientifically valid mechanism in the awg argument.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

hummingbird

Dec 29, 2008, 7:19:11 AM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 02:06, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:56:03 GMT, hummingbird
> <whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 29 Dec08 01:01, Brian (Groups)
>><ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote

>>> reedom.com/

>>> Don't like looking at factual historical data, huh?
>>> Oh, of course not - it always shoots down a tall story.
>

>>What I observe, Brian, is not whether you are right or wrong
>>(and I suspect you may be right) but how other people try and
>>deal with information, such as yours, which cuts across their
>>own firmly held beliefs.
>>
>>It's a bit like religion where faith in unproven tenets are
>>fundamental.
>>
>>So it is with some subjects. In this instance it is global
>>warming.
>>
>>There is an actual wish NOT to hear your facts and your
>>argument. Possibly because it may be too difficult a case to
>>counter. Yet, countered it must be because otherwise it might
>>damage one of the core tenets in a person's outlook.
>>

>>One can almost hear their subconscious argue that it's far
>>better to be seen and act as prejudiced than to even risk damage
>>to a core belief.
>>
>>Minds like that are stubbornly closed.
>

> he is not stating 'facts'......he is making bald and foolish
> claims... he has the dogma.......
>
> he doesn't know what he doesn't know......
> elsewhere that silliness is part of your tirading

It is has been said that most geographers and metereologists know
there is precious little real data to make a case for what is called
"global warming". It appears that many scientists in the field see
it as a popular but erroneous notion which has gathered pace into a
meme for the decade. I hear that the hard factual evidence taken as
a whole is not on the side of the global warming alarmists.

Those who try and speak against warming may now get shouted down but,
in the end, it may turn out that it is they who get to say "E pur si
muove".

--
extremism is like a chronic disease:
it kills you in the end.

hummingbird

Dec 29, 2008, 7:20:47 AM12/29/08

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:52:57 GMT 'hummingbird'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Mon 29 Dec08 00:08, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote
>
>> On 29 Dec 2008 11:03:00 +1100, Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote in

>>>More succinctly, weather is not climate, but Hummingbird has
>>>been around long enought to realise that OT is OT.
>>
>> the person posing as hummingbird is a forger
>>

>My dear Abelarrd, please don't display such feigned naievety.
>
>"Hummingbird" is the name of a character Chris Millbank used when
>posting to the Usenet. Other people too have posted using the
>same character "Hummingbird".
>
>Currently Chris posts to uk.politics.misc using the sockpuppet
>"Aracari". Before that he posted to that group using a variety of
>other sockpuppets. In UPM he had to discard the nym
>"Hummingbird" several years ago.
>
>So I have chosen to use the "Hummingbird" in U.P.M. It's rather
>too gay for me but, on balance, I like it.
>
>I make it clear in my headers that I am not Chris Millbank. I have
>posted announcements. Almost every single header I use is
>different to those used by Chris Millbank with the exception of
>the name "Hummingbird".
>
>If you think those headers are a forgery then the post must be the
>worst forgery around!
>
>Chris has asked around for advice about this and has been told
>authoritatively that he does not have exclusive access to a name
>on the Usenet.

Franklin, you are a deranged psychopath.

And a forger, mass sockpuppeteer a copyrite thief, a pathological
liar, a spurned homosexual and the Queen of Slime. Don't take
my word for it. read what YOU wrote about yourself here:

--
"...when I am in character as "Hummingbird"

I say ... I do not know what you are talking about or who Franklin

is and I have never posted using any name other than my real one
and I was christened Hummingbird at birth..."

...Franklin on <alt.comp.freeware>, <uk.politics.misc> 28/Dec/2008

job...@hushmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 7:29:00 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 3:12 am, hummingbird

<whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

> If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
> science fiction.
>
> Oh my.  Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times? It's
> Dickens's shortest novel.

And easily his worst.

> There's nothing sickly gooey about
> Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest.

Well, yes there is. As Oscar Wilde said: 'One must have a heart of
stone to read the death of Liittle Nell without laughing.'. Then
there's Tiny Tim, the death of Paul Dombey, and Oliver bloody Twist.

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 7:33:40 AM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 02:12, hummingbird <hummi...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:21:29 GMT 'hummingbird'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> On Mon 29 Dec08 00:36, aracari <spam...@vailable.here.com>
>> wrote
>>>
>>> Franklin, why don't you go back and stop posting in UPM.

>>> People say good things about you Franklin
>>> ...and one person explained your positive behaviour as
>>> helpful.

>> Hello Chris,
>>

> Who? Why don't you get that fukced-up head of yours straightened
> out. Mystic Meg promised us you were going to have a full
> frontal lobotomy. Why didn't you have it?
>

>>as you know when I am in character as "Hummingbird"
>>

> You mean when you are forging my ACF posting name...
>
>> I do not know what you are talking about or who Franklin is
>>

> I'm pretty much aware of that.
>
> Not only are you a deranged person, you also appear to have
> a multiple disorders. The change can take place in minutes.

> Does that ring a bell? It ought to. You accused another innocent
> poster of that problem only a few weeks ago. That's Feudian
> projection which is largely discredited.

>> I have never posted using any name other than my real one
>> and I was christened Hummingbird at birth and have used it on
>> the Usenet for 25 years before the Internet was created.
>
> Since when were you christened? Please.
> I explained your problem.
> It always comes home to haunt you.

Are you all right Chris? You don't sound very well.

I would really like to accomodate your requests and put "Franklin"
behind my posting nym for U.P.M. so when I crosspost from there my
"Hummingbird" name doesn't get confused with your "Hummingbird" name.

Unfortunately you will complain loudly and endlessly that I'm using a
sockpuppet if I change "Franklin" even one little bit. So I run the
risk of upsetting you and I wouldn't want to do that.

In the end I have to strike a balance and I think I have got the best
(least bad) balance now. My headers look completely different to
yours and contain an explanation, so there shouldn't be any
confusion.

... from Hummingbird/Franklin

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 7:36:07 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:19:11 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>It is has been said that most geographers and metereologists know
>there is precious little real data to make a case for what is called
>"global warming". It appears that many scientists in the field see
>it as a popular but erroneous notion which has gathered pace into a
>meme for the decade. I hear that the hard factual evidence taken as
>a whole is not on the side of the global warming alarmists.

there's nothing highly objectionable to your statements above...
but the consensus is that global warming is showing....and the theory
looks very sound to me...
it also looks like steadily increasing supporting data to me...

i'm not a specialist and am therefore inclined to put the consensus
above the cackling of various 'enthusiasts'

but you're not making assertions as if holy writ...

>Those who try and speak against warming may now get shouted down but,
>in the end, it may turn out that it is they who get to say "E pur si
>muove".

anyone sane awaits the accumulation of more data....

reasons for opposition to filthy fossil fuels go a very long way
beyond anthropogenic global warming...
further, some reasonable advocate the precautionary principle
and the economic case also weighs with me.....

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics

energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

all that is necessary for [] walk quietly and carry
the triumph of evil is that [] a big stick.
good people do nothing [] trust actions not words
only when it's funny -- roger rabbit

hummingbird

Dec 29, 2008, 7:37:58 AM12/29/08

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:29:59 GMT 'hummingbird'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

There speaks Franklin, The Pathological Liar.

FACT: hummingbird on ACF is not Chris nor Thomas.

You deny the truth which is that it is YOU who are destroying
ACF with your relentless psychopathic behaviour, forging,
sockpuppeting and relentless posting of lies and slime about other
people. Now you are trying to spread it to uk.p.m. as you have
done to several other newsgroups.

You are truly a very evil person Franklin. Your Jekyll & Hyde
posting style fools a few people for a while.

Any sane person on ACF would confirm that you are the
most destructive person on that newsgroup (apart from your
new criminal friend, Frank J. Camper).

You have destroyed your own posting name on ACF and are now
hijacking other peoples' names to inflict more damage.

Read what others on ACF have written about YOU Franklin
and match it against your lies and fantasies above. Every one
is verifiable:

A SELECTION OF COMMENTS MADE TO, OR ABOUT, FRANKLIN
BY OTHER POSTERS ON <ALT.COMP.FREEWARE>

ACF poster to Franklin 18/Nov/2008:
"Your ability to project is amazing" "You are a vicious liar."
"...you are a deluded egomaniac troll who doesn't care about this
group.
...if someone says they are going to killfile you so they will be
rid of your bullshit, your repeated nym-shifting, multiple times
in a day,
in an hour, whatever it takes to pop out again.
That's a mental disease, son."
"You are a poisonous troll, a liar, and an unstable loonie."
"you are delusional, paranoid, lying, and an utter asshole..."
"You are either incredibly, unbelievably stupid, or a
vicious laying scumbag. Your choice"
"You're really a sick little bastard, Franklin. Honestly,
you should (but won't) get help."
ACF poster: 13/Nov/2008:
"I've been here long before Franklin and have witnessed his
blathering, nym shifting and off topic garbage for too long now."
ACF poster to Franklin 14/Nov/2008:
"...what's left of your mind has turned to slimy mush, and
since the bolt thru your neck came loose, your head is flopping
about on your neck like a toffee apple on a broken stick"
ACF poster to Franklin 24/Sep/2008:
"...you made a complete arse of yourself. Give it a rest"
ACF poster to Franklin 21/Jun/2008:
"And you believe you're somehow "better"...with your
incessant puerility and craven cowardice when someone
shines a light on your own incompetence?"
ACF poster to a Franklin sockpuppet 20/Aug/2008:
No. You are Franklin. At one time, someone else said
you were "the personification of pure evil."
I believe they had you pegged. You *are* evil.
ACF poster to Franklin 24/Jun/2008:
"You're the one nuzzling a net kook's nutsack just to try
and win back some of the ground you pissed away with your
4th grade caliber "wit".
You're not funny. You're not clever. You're just pathetic.
Now go finish off your idol Ari, brush your teeth, and go to bed.
ACF poster to Franklin 21/Jul/2008:
Yes, I want to extend my thanks to Franklin for inviting the
current horde of trolls from other newsgroups with his constant
cross-posting. This current scourge is far worse than the sporge
we were being inundated with earlier this year. Unfortunately the
trash propogating to ACF is at the direct hands of humans rather
than machines and I fear it's here to stay.

You have succeeded in making ACF unusable in my view. Frankly,
your insidious methods have been far worse than what we were
subjected to by the other antagonists. You sir, are a first-class
scoundrel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ACF poster responds to above 21/Jul/2008:
He's basically a waste of 02, huh? <G>

I've never taken note of anything worthwhile that he's
contributed. I suggest everyone just write him off as
inconsequential and ignore his sorry self. If HB wants to continue
to label his posts as forgeries, that's OK--at least newbies will
have cause to wonder. It can't take long for anyone of at least
average intelligence to see Franklin's mode and understand his
role here.
ACF poster to Franklin 29/Jun/2008:
You're such a pathetic cunt who gets its head handed to it so
much, that you're left with nothing but burying your nose in a
common troll's ass just to try and convince yourself you have a
friend.
ACF poster to Franklin 29/Jun/2008:
What misguided stretch of your fevered imagination is it that lead
you to believe ANYONE wants to be your friend? You're a moron.
The only animal that can even stand to be around you for more than
17 seconds is another moron. And even then once you're done with
the traditional moron greeting of drooling all over each other the
relationship is over.
AFN poster 30/Jun/2008 fed up with Franklin's crossposting:
"errrmm.. what is it going to take, chappy.. a full on flame war
to shut your yap or maybe just a few crim shots and a durn good
arse kickin'.
[...] I am thinking U might be yet another pisT miscreant
shrieking at the thought of minimal attention.. tell me
I got that wrong and prove me right, in one post!"
ACF poster to Franklin 7/Jul/2008:
"You're the personification of pure evil.
And, you're not fooling anyone."
ACF poster to Franklin 7/Jul/2008:
"You worry about what Hummingbird does a lot. Are you in Love?"
ACF poster to Franklin 8/Jul/2008:
"Can you please just NOT keep pissing into the group and starting
fights"
ACF poster to Franklin 8/Jul/2008:
"I've been reading this group for many years and seen many battles
rage, but I've never felt the need to killfile anyone till now.
Franklin, has the honor of being the only one that I ever placed
in my plonk file."
ACF poster to Franklin 29/Dec/2007:
"The bigger question is what is wrong with you? You are
absolutely obsessed with hummingbird. It appears you are openly
admiring him."
ACF poster to Franklin 12/Jul/2008:
"You must be thoroughly bored. I wish you'd find another hobby."
ACF poster to Franklin 15/Jul/2008:
"why don't you just stay in acf where you're not wanted."
ACF poster (Sietse Fliege) 24/Aug/2007:
"Franklin, go try some freeware and post about it yourself.
Beats boring everyone to death."
ACF poster (Sietse Fliege) to Franklin 26/Aug/2007:
"Look, I'm not playing your pathetic little game. I'm not gonna
dignify your drivel with commenting it line for silly line.
EOT, thank you very much."

Here's a list of your sockpuppets and forgeries:

--
Franklin's forgeries and sockpuppets, 100 and rising:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/55ajrs

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 7:45:04 AM12/29/08
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:11:35 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 1:51 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:38:32 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>>
>> you doubtless mean axiomatics like

>No. That's something I'd be prepared to support with evidence,

your 'support' will be quite as dubious as that of any who
dogmatically claim the reverse...
such dogmatic statement as that with which you started merely
suggests you're an idiot...
that you are now starting to struggle to readjust is your concern...
not mine...

> such as
>the /factual/ temperature records you "binned" from my first post.

i've seen many claimed 'records'...every time i've examined
them they've lacked serious substance
i've responded many times to such claimed 'records'...invariably
those producing them have run out of road...
you've referenced some sloppy fossil media source....i'm disinclined
to do the work and run it down...

you could always go to the sites that deal with such vanities
more seriously....or even go to my more crude briefing documents
on the subject starting here
http://www.abelard.org/briefings/global_warming.php

>It's more statements like "global warming is real" that need to be
>relegated to axiomatic truths by the zealots of the faith, because
>they can't fly in the face of the blatant concrete evidence to the
>contrary.

that's confused babble

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 7:49:18 AM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 12:29, <job...@hushmail.com> wrote

> On Dec 29, 3:12 am, hummingbird
> <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
>> science fiction.
>>
>> Oh my.  Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times?
>> It's Dickens's shortest novel.
>
> And easily his worst.
>
>> There's nothing sickly gooey about
>> Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest.
>
> Well, yes there is. As Oscar Wilde said: 'One must have a heart
> of stone to read the death of Liittle Nell without laughing.'.

Parody is part of the dry humor of Dickens. You should not always
take Oscar Wilde's witticisms quite so literally or you won't get his
meaning. For example, "Consistency is the last refuge of the
unimaginative" is not literal.

I think you overlook my main point that modern adaptations of
Dickens's novels tend to the sickly gooey and a new reader may
mistakenly think that the sort of characteristic tone of films or
musical stage productions is also found in the original text. It
isn't.

I do accept that Hard Times is far from Dickens's greatest novel but
who would suggest something the size and complexity of Bleak House as
a first read? Hard Times is simple, accessible and topical to this
thread.

> Then there's Tiny Tim, the death of Paul Dombey, and Oliver
> bloody Twist.

These are characters in a novel, not real people. They are
creations.

It is quite one thing for a character to be sickly gooey (Thackery
has plenty of those) but quite another for the novel itself to be
sickly gooey.

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 7:49:09 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:41:16 +0000, Dead Paul <dead...@no.reply>
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:43:05 -0800, Brian (Groups) wrote:
>
>> On Dec 29, 10:27 am, hummingbird
>> <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>>> Dear follow UPM posters,
>>>
>>> I've been reading in the Daily Mirror newspaper how forecasters think
>>> bitter winds and freezing fog might usher in the New Year. They think
>>> temperatures could drop to minus 1OC in some parts over the next couple
>>> of weeks.
>>>
>>> Is this cold weather due to global warming or am I, Hummingbird, a bit
>>> of a twat because anyone knows cold is the opposite of warming?
>>>
>>> hb
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thatcherism is like chronic heart disease ... you may not know you
>>> suffer from it, but it'll kill you in the end.
>>>
>>> David Davis is against a homosexual
>>> database:http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/
>>
>> Global warming is a myth. All of its predictions are based on "fudged &
>> fiddled" computer models that failed to predict the actual observed
>> cooling over the last decade -
>> http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,24036602-25717,00.html
>>
>> Believe what you see, not what the politicians & activists tell you.
>> Resist the propaganda; go with the facts.

>Any global warming is not anthropogenic.

ah, another dogmatist

> There is not a single
>scientifically valid mechanism in the awg argument.

you don't understand what a 'scientifically valid mechanism
means or what such a mythical device would look like

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 7:58:09 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:12:29 GMT, hummingbird
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

good

>asked if you might consider not sounding like a depressive does.

your interpretation of data is outside my scope

>Such as clever Marvin.

don't know marvin

>Your comments suggest you don't like fiction.

i prefer non-fiction

> You must have read
>some classics. You say not Dickens (and perhaps not other
>novelists) but then surely a bit of Shakespeare, the romantics or
>even the King James's bible.

yes

>If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
>science fiction.

quite a lot

>Oh my. Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times? It's
>Dickens's shortest novel. There's nothing sickly gooey about
>Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest. He writes with
>a dry humor and his characters are often a reflection of problems
>in society. Serious novels with a wry sense of humor. Marvellous
>expression. Gorgeous yet punctilious language.

he's cumbersome and tedious
i've read most of surtees......and much victorian science...

i've know an 11 year old grind through most of dickens and
another who couldn't get their hands on more shapespeare fast
enough....
i believe in letting people find their own routes...

that even applies here :-)

>Actually H2G2 is pretty good too although it may be too light for
>you. This quotation from the first book was posted a few weeks
>ago:

yes, i know many are enthusiastic about it....you're probably right
when you suggest it is 'too light' for me...

><groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/a72f20cd6f1267ff>
>OR <http://preview.tinyurl.com/9ko69s>

another link i'm not chasing at this moment....
but i did go after your gradgrind thingy in the end and wasted
time on your chav film...if those were you!

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 8:03:19 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:49:18 GMT, hummingbird F
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>On Mon 29 Dec08 12:29, <job...@hushmail.com> wrote
>
>> On Dec 29, 3:12 am, hummingbird
>> <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
>>> science fiction.
>>>
>>> Oh my.  Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times?
>>> It's Dickens's shortest novel.
>>
>> And easily his worst.
>>
>>> There's nothing sickly gooey about
>>> Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest.
>>
>> Well, yes there is. As Oscar Wilde said: 'One must have a heart
>> of stone to read the death of Liittle Nell without laughing.'.
>
>Parody is part of the dry humor of Dickens. You should not always
>take Oscar Wilde's witticisms quite so literally or you won't get his
>meaning. For example, "Consistency is the last refuge of the
>unimaginative" is not literal.
>
>I think you overlook my main point that modern adaptations of
>Dickens's novels tend to the sickly gooey and a new reader may
>mistakenly think that the sort of characteristic tone of films or
>musical stage productions is also found in the original text. It
>isn't.

an aside to keep your head straight....
i don't like any adaptation i've partly seen....let alone
'musicals'!!!
....thus i've only seen fleeting parts as others lapped it
up....i don't do masochism

Dead Paul

Dec 29, 2008, 8:31:37 AM12/29/08

lol
what's your degree?

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 8:36:27 AM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 12:58, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

You are posting what seem to me to be conflicting statements.

You don't read books but a book is what you take to parties. You
haven't read fiction but you've read Surtees and you curently read
science fiction. You don't know who Marvin is but six or seven lines
earlier in this thread I quoted him.

I find your premises shift too much. The inconsistency and ambiguity
is a bit too much for little old me.

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 8:37:38 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:12:05 +0000, [Gollum] hummingbird wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:21:29 GMT 'hummingbird'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>

>>On Mon 29 Dec08 00:36, aracari <spam...@vailable.here.com> wrote
>>>
>>> Franklin, why don't you go back
>>> and stop posting in UPM

>>> People say good things about you Franklin:
>>>

>>> ...and one person explained your positive behaviour as helpfulness

>>Hello Chris,
>
> Who?
>
> Why don't you get that fukced-up head of yours straightened out.
>
> Mystic Meg promised us you were going to have a full frontal
> lobotomy. Why didn't you have it?
>

>>as you know when I am in character as "Hummingbird"
>
> You mean when you are forging my ACF posting name...
>

> ...do carry on...
>
>>I say ... I do not know what you are talking about or who Franklin is
>
> I'm pretty much aware of that FranklinSlime.
>
> Not only are you a deranged psychopath, you also appear to have
> a multiple personality disorder. Jekyll & Hyde I'd say
> ...one minute you're sickly and ingratiating, the next, evil and
> vicious with your crossposted lies about others. The change can

> take place in minutes.
>
> Does that ring a bell? It ought to. You accused another innocent

> poster of that problem only a few weeks ago. That's projection.

For the attention of Franklin:

Hi Franklin,

Note the use of the "projection" argument.

Further proof of who the 'Thomas Stevens' sock really is

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/2f07ace922a1af43

Notice anything?

Franklin

Dec 29, 2008, 9:27:00 AM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 13:37, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote

Hi John,

Yes I do notice something. When Chris Millbank posts to A.C.F. as
"Thomas Stevens" he uses the same concepts, the same terms and the
same lunatic interpretations as he does when he posts as
"Hummingbird".

From the beginning it was a dead cert that "Thomas Stevens" and
"Hummingbird" were being written by the same person.

It's just pure k00kery from Chris again.
http://www.searchlores.org/way_kook.htm

------

Now we can expect the usual flood of denials on A.C.F. which are
really designed to enmesh others in posting endless proof and
counter-arguments against Chris's ever wilder and k00kier denials.

I wouldn't bother. The truth is self-evident and so are the lies
Chris tells.

It's just the Mystic Meg game all over again. Everyone knows the
post was written by Chris but he likes to tease by pretending it
wasn't. Who really cares what he says?

Franklin

Brian (Groups)

Dec 29, 2008, 9:51:03 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 11:45 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:11:35 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>
> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 29, 1:51 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:38:32 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>
> >> you doubtless mean axiomatics like

> >No. That's something I'd be prepared to support with evidence,
>
> your 'support' will be quite as dubious as that of any who
>      dogmatically claim the reverse...
> such dogmatic statement as that with which you started merely
>      suggests you're an idiot...
> that you are now starting to struggle to readjust is your concern...
>      not mine...

Total waffle. I can see who's starting to struggle now.

> > such as
> >the /factual/ temperature records you "binned" from my first post.
>
> i've seen many claimed 'records'...every time i've examined
>      them they've lacked serious substance
> i've responded many times to such claimed 'records'...invariably
>      those producing them have run out of road...
> you've referenced some sloppy fossil media source....i'm disinclined
>      to do the work and run it down...

Had you bothered to read (if you can) the main graph is from the
Hadley Centre of Britain's Meteorological Office and one of the four
bodies measuring world temperature. Do THEY lack substance?

The second is from another of those four bodies, the University of
Alabama in Huntsville, which monitors the troposphere -- from the
ground to 12km altitude. Have THEY run out of road?

Others are from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
& the American Meteorological Society.

To reject such data out of hand, you must be either a world-renowned
scientific expert. or a real little snot. No wonder you're disinclined
to check up on these sources.

> you could always go to the sites that deal with such vanities
>      more seriously....or even go to my more crude briefing documents
>      on the subject starting herehttp://www.abelard.org/briefings/global_warming.php

Understanding the global warming disaster myth requires a lot more
than collecting and collating writings on the subject. It requires an
ability to filter out the propaganda from the science, an ability
which you clearly don't have. What was your qualification in this area
again?

Brian

Brian (Groups)

Dec 29, 2008, 10:03:34 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 11:36 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:19:11 GMT, hummingbird

> but the consensus is that global warming is showing....and the theory

>      looks very sound to me...
> it also looks like steadily increasing supporting data to me...
>
> i'm not a specialist and am therefore inclined to put the consensus
>      above the cackling of various 'enthusiasts'

ROTFL! Science does NOT work by consensus. Please don't try to mix the
two - it denigrates science to associate it with the popular vote of
the ignorant activists. As Reid Bryson, considered by many the "father
of scientific climatology" stated,

"Let's be clear: consensus is a political term, a political desire for
some. Science is not consensual, it is factual. Whenever we discourage
scientific skepticism, we are being political and not scientific. The
IPCC was founded to promote a particular perspective on science. It is
a politicized perspective that is not about science but about the use
and mis-use of science to advocate an ideology of stasis control and
governance."

I guess you won't be chasing up this acknowledged specialist either.

Brian

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:17:44 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:03:34 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 11:36 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:19:11 GMT, hummingbird
>
>> but the consensus is that global warming is showing....and the theory
>>      looks very sound to me...
>> it also looks like steadily increasing supporting data to me...
>>
>> i'm not a specialist and am therefore inclined to put the consensus
>>      above the cackling of various 'enthusiasts'
>
>ROTFL! Science does NOT work by consensus.

you are incorrect...yet again
rbu

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:18:07 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:51:03 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 11:45 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:11:35 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>>
>> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>> >No. That's something I'd be prepared to support with evidence,
>>
>> your 'support' will be quite as dubious as that of any who
>>      dogmatically claim the reverse...
>> such dogmatic statement as that with which you started merely
>>      suggests you're an idiot...
>> that you are now starting to struggle to readjust is your concern...
>>      not mine...
>
>Total waffle. I can see who's starting to struggle now.

rbu

Dead Paul

Dec 29, 2008, 10:24:28 AM12/29/08

I doubt he has any scientific degree.

Dead Paul

Dec 29, 2008, 10:25:21 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:17:44 +0100, abelard wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:03:34 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
> <ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 29, 11:36 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:19:11 GMT, hummingbird
>>
>>> but the consensus is that global warming is showing....and the theory
>>>      looks very sound to me...
>>> it also looks like steadily increasing supporting data to me...
>>>
>>> i'm not a specialist and am therefore inclined to put the consensus
>>>    above the cackling of various 'enthusiasts'
>>
>>ROTFL! Science does NOT work by consensus.
>
> you are incorrect...yet again

Now who doesn't understand methodology. lol

You plonker.

> rbu

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:26:47 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:36:27 GMT, hummingbird F
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>You are posting what seem to me to be conflicting statements.
>
>You don't read books but a book is what you take to parties.

you've misinterpreted one of my statements

> You
>haven't read fiction but you've read Surtees and you curently read
>science fiction.

i do read fiction.......i prefer non-fiction.....i read some
fiction, mainly when i think it may be useful!
science fiction...mostly past tense

i can't remember the last piece of non-fiction i read
i completed this 3 years ago....
http://www.abelard.org/nero_wolfe.php

i watch some non-fiction......usually in a similar vein....
sometimes that also acts as wallpaper

sometimes i read sommat recommended by an esteemed poster here...
eg a chandler a year or two back

> You don't know who Marvin is but six or seven lines
>earlier in this thread I quoted him.

i expect you did

>I find your premises shift too much. The inconsistency and ambiguity
>is a bit too much for little old me.

no problem to me

Brian (Groups)

Dec 29, 2008, 10:32:49 AM12/29/08
On Dec 30, 2:17 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:03:34 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>
> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 29, 11:36 pm, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:19:11 GMT, hummingbird
>
> >> but the consensus is that global warming is showing....and the theory
> >> looks very sound to me...
> >> it also looks like steadily increasing supporting data to me...
>
> >> i'm not a specialist and am therefore inclined to put the consensus
> >> above the cackling of various 'enthusiasts'
>
> >ROTFL! Science does NOT work by consensus.
>
> you are incorrect...yet again
> rbu

So Reid Bryson, the "father of scientific climatology", is incorrect
too?
Boy, you really are some expert, aren't you?

I think that's enough to expose your true colours and total lack of
any scientific capabilities. Thanks for so eagerly taking all the rope
I fed you. Mission accomplished.

Brian

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:36:01 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:24:28 +0000, Dead Paul <dead...@no.reply>
wrote:

>I doubt he has any scientific degree.

he's foolishly dogmatic whereas you're obviously thick

here is a comment from your would-be champion

>Science does NOT work by consensus.

now you want to appeal to some sort of authority.....

now which is it to be?

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:37:35 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:32:49 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
<ussps...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Dec 30, 2:17 am, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:03:34 -0800 (PST), "Brian (Groups)"
>>
>> <usspskg...@mailinator.com> wrote:

>> >ROTFL! Science does NOT work by consensus.
>>
>> you are incorrect...yet again
>> rbu
>
>So Reid Bryson, the "father of scientific climatology", is incorrect
>too?

what for?

>Boy, you really are some expert, aren't you?
>
>I think that's enough to expose your true colours and total lack of
>any scientific capabilities. Thanks for so eagerly taking all the rope
>I fed you. Mission accomplished.

run rabbit.....

first learn to feed yourself

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 10:39:38 AM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:26:47 +0100, abelard <abel...@abelard.org>
wrote:

>i watch some non-fiction......usually in a similar vein....
> sometimes that also acts as wallpaper

should read

>i watch some fiction......usually in a similar vein....

> sometimes that also acts as wallpaper

job...@hushmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 11:51:30 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 12:49 pm, hummingbird F
<whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
> On Mon 29 Dec08 12:29,  <jobl...@hushmail.com> wrote

> > On Dec 29, 3:12 am, hummingbird
> > <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>
> >> If you don't know H2G2 then it doesn't sound as if you read
> >> science fiction.
>
> >> Oh my.  Why not break with tradition. Why not try Hard Times?
> >> It's Dickens's shortest novel.
>
> > And easily his worst.
>
> >> There's nothing sickly gooey about
> >> Dickens which modern adaptations tend to suggest.
>
> > Well, yes there is.  As Oscar Wilde said: 'One must have a heart
> > of stone to read the death of Liittle Nell without laughing.'.
>
> Parody is part of the dry humor of Dickens.  You should not always
> take Oscar Wilde's witticisms quite so literally or you won't get his
> meaning. For example, "Consistency is the last refuge of the
> unimaginative" is not literal.

I don't think parody is the word you're looking for here. Paradox,
perhaps?

> I think you overlook my main point that modern adaptations of
> Dickens's novels tend to the sickly gooey and a new reader may
> mistakenly think that the sort of characteristic tone of films or
> musical stage productions is also found in the original text.  It
> isn't.

Andrew Davies's adaptations (of Bleak House and Little Dorrit) were
neither sickly nor gooey, and I remember an excellent adaptation of
Our Mutual Friend a few years back.

> I do accept that Hard Times is far from Dickens's greatest novel but
> who would suggest something the size and complexity of Bleak House as
> a first read?  Hard Times is simple, accessible and topical to this
> thread.

It was Dickens' least favourite, partly because he wrote it as a
polemic rather than as a fully-rounded piece of fiction. David
Copperfield is far better, and not much longer.

> > Then there's Tiny Tim, the death of Paul Dombey, and Oliver
> > bloody Twist.
>
> These are characters in a novel, not real people.  They are
> creations.

But they are treated in a sentimental, mawkish way.

> It is quite one thing for a character to be sickly gooey (Thackery
> has plenty of those) but quite another for the novel itself to be
> sickly gooey.

There is more sentimentality in Dickens' novels than in those of, for
example, Jane Austen or George Eliot. Dickens was a sentimental
bloke, especially about children and animals, and this comes across in
both his fiction and his journalism. He was of course also a hard-
headed businessman and a social crusader.

RiDiCuLoUsY StUpId

Dec 29, 2008, 8:22:37 PM12/29/08

On 29 Dec 2008 02:09:47 GMT "iNcReDuLoUs The Liar"
posted on alt.comp.freeware:

>John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:12:15 +0100, abelard wrote:
>>
>>> it's a minor irritation at most
>>> only idiots do it...
>>
>> That's the only point I disagree with you on. Aracari isn't an idiot.
>> He's a subversive deviant.
>
>To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.

Weenie ...............long live hypocrisy.........doncha agree?:

--
"If The Big Boys Can Fake Nyms Why Not Us Weenies"
...iNcReDuLoUs, <alt.test> 17-Aug-2006

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/2783936387_45bb87e8d4_o.jpg

iNcReDuLoUs exposed as a stalker:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/7289956d4abbd325

iNcReDuLoUs fails to provide evidence to support his assertion that
7 posters were all sockpuppets of the same person:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/e26bb561504f8cc5

ACF poster 16/Nov/2008:
"iNcReDuLoUs is of no concern to me, he's useless."

iNcReDuLoUs

Dec 29, 2008, 4:35:28 PM12/29/08
John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2008 02:09:47 GMT, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:
>
>> John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>> That's the only point I disagree with you on. Aracari isn't an idiot.
>>> He's a subversive deviant.
>>
>> To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.
>

>> --

>> The best of the best in Freeware
>> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
>>

>> ACF PSA: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5g5mdh
>
> Nice sig :)

Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. :)

Wasn't I saying something about free servers recently? What an amazing
coincidence.

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 4:41:35 PM12/29/08
On 29 Dec 2008 21:35:28 GMT, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:

> John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>> To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.
>>
>>> --
>>> The best of the best in Freeware
>>> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
>>>
>>> ACF PSA: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5g5mdh
>>
>> Nice sig :)
>
> Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. :)
>
> Wasn't I saying something about free servers recently? What an amazing
> coincidence.

Oh yes, and the other thing you said to look out for, turned up a while
ago...

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
Destroy the Triumvirate...

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 4:43:36 PM12/29/08
On 29 Dec 2008 21:35:28 GMT, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:

> John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>> To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.
>>
>>> --
>>> The best of the best in Freeware
>>> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
>>>
>>> ACF PSA: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5g5mdh
>>
>> Nice sig :)
>
> Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. :)
>
> Wasn't I saying something about free servers recently? What an amazing
> coincidence.

Oh yes, and the other thing you said to look out for, turned up a while
ago...

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
Destroy the Triumvirate...

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 4:54:29 PM12/29/08
On 29 Dec 2008 21:35:28 GMT, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:

> John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>> To be specific John, aracari is a hypocritical, subversive deviant.
>>
>>> --
>>> The best of the best in Freeware
>>> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
>>>
>>> ACF PSA: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5g5mdh
>>
>> Nice sig :)
>
> Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. :)
>
> Wasn't I saying something about free servers recently? What an amazing
> coincidence.

Oh yes, and the other thing you said to look out for, turned up a while
ago...

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
Destroy the Triumvirate...

iNcReDuLoUs

Dec 29, 2008, 5:15:49 PM12/29/08
John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2008 21:35:28 GMT, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:
>> John Stubbings <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>>> Nice sig :)
>>
>> Yes, it does have a nice ring to it. :)
>>
>> Wasn't I saying something about free servers recently? What an
>> amazing coincidence.
>
> Oh yes, and the other thing you said to look out for, turned up a while
> ago...

aracari and his fanbois are just...so...predictable.

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 7:02:18 PM12/29/08
[Thread xposted to ACF & UPM.]

On Mon 29 Dec08 15:36, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:24 Dead Paul wrote:
>>
>> I doubt he has any scientific degree.
>
> he's foolishly dogmatic whereas you're obviously thick
> here is a comment from your would-be champion
>
>> Science does NOT work by consensus.
>
> now you want to appeal to some sort of authority.....
> now which is it to be?

Vieux Abelard

You provide a quotation which states "Science does NOT work by
consensus" but I feel you may be interpreting it differently to
the way the author intended.

"Consensus" to you probably means the consensus of informed
scientists. (I'm sure you'll correct me if I am wrong.)

However "consensus" is actually unqualified in the original
quotation and may also be read to mean the majority of the people.
This could include those with no real knowledge at all of the
topic.

There is no doubt that important new ideas in science have often
been *against* the prevailing consensus. In a recent post I
quoted Galileo's "E pur si muove" after he was forced to go along
with the consensus notion that the sun orbited the earth.

Every radical new scientific paradigm is almost by definition
contrary to the prevailing consensus because it casts known
scientific observations into a new light.

Microorganisms, structure of matter, evolution, relativity, double
helix, string theory, etc. None of these were part of a consensus
before they were stated. Some (such as heliobacter pylori) had to
fight very hard to be accepted at all and then became part of the
orthodoxy.

Best,
Hummingbird/Franklin

--
As Schopenhauer wrote: 摘very truth passes through three stages
before it is recognized: In the first it is ridiculed, in the

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 7:26:16 PM12/29/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:02:18 GMT, hummingbird F
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>[Thread xposted to ACF & UPM.]
>
>On Mon 29 Dec08 15:36, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:24 Dead Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> I doubt he has any scientific degree.
>>
>> he's foolishly dogmatic whereas you're obviously thick
>> here is a comment from your would-be champion
>>
>>> Science does NOT work by consensus.
>>
>> now you want to appeal to some sort of authority.....
>> now which is it to be?

>Vieux Abelard
>
>You provide a quotation which states "Science does NOT work by
>consensus" but I feel you may be interpreting it differently to
>the way the author intended.

highly probable :-)

>"Consensus" to you probably means the consensus of informed
>scientists. (I'm sure you'll correct me if I am wrong.)

i'm fine with that translation

>However "consensus" is actually unqualified in the original
>quotation and may also be read to mean the majority of the people.
>This could include those with no real knowledge at all of the
>topic.

very true...

>There is no doubt that important new ideas in science have often
>been *against* the prevailing consensus. In a recent post I
>quoted Galileo's "E pur si muove" after he was forced to go along
>with the consensus notion that the sun orbited the earth.
>
>Every radical new scientific paradigm is almost by definition
>contrary to the prevailing consensus because it casts known
>scientific observations into a new light.
>
>Microorganisms, structure of matter, evolution, relativity, double
>helix, string theory, etc. None of these were part of a consensus
>before they were stated. Some (such as heliobacter pylori) had to
>fight very hard to be accepted at all and then became part of the
>orthodoxy.

no problems with any of the above

i would add just for you....i have a strong aversion to hand-holding
the challenged...hand-holding removes the necessity for such
people to work....and thereby to learn...

between science and ignorance stands opinion...~plato

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 7:32:03 PM12/29/08
On Mon 29 Dec08 16:51, <job...@hushmail.com> wrote

> On Dec 29, 12:49 pm, hummingbird F
> <whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
>> On Mon 29 Dec08 12:29,  <jobl...@hushmail.com> wrote

>> > And easily his worst.

>> > Well, yes there is.  As Oscar Wilde said: 'One must have a
>> > heart of stone to read the death of Liittle Nell without
>> > laughing.'.
>>
>> Parody is part of the dry humor of Dickens.  You should not
>> always take Oscar Wilde's witticisms quite so literally or you
>> won't get his meaning. For example, "Consistency is the last
>> refuge of the unimaginative" is not literal.
>
> I don't think parody is the word you're looking for here.
> Paradox, perhaps?

Perhaps it is both parody and paradox. Telescopic philanthropism
was paradoxical in that it sought to help those at a distance
rathernthan those immediately nearby. It is also parodied in the
characters of Mrs Jellyby and policeman Bucket.

>> I think you overlook my main point that modern adaptations of
>> Dickens's novels tend to the sickly gooey and a new reader may
>> mistakenly think that the sort of characteristic tone of films
>> or musical stage productions is also found in the original
>> text.  It isn't.
>
> Andrew Davies's adaptations (of Bleak House and Little Dorrit)
> were neither sickly nor gooey, and I remember an excellent
> adaptation of Our Mutual Friend a few years back.

Fortunately the BBC's dramatic enactments of classics has not
fallen prey to the ways of movies or live theatre productions. I
wrote "tend" because the popular image of Dickens's work in those
who have never tried to read him is more and more likely to be
colored by sickly maudlin Oliver Twist productions on stage and in
film designed to appeal to very young audiences.

>> I do accept that Hard Times is far from Dickens's greatest
>> novel but who would suggest something the size and complexity
>> of Bleak House as a first read?  Hard Times is simple,
>> accessible and topical to this thread.
>
> It was Dickens' least favourite, partly because he wrote it as a
> polemic rather than as a fully-rounded piece of fiction. David
> Copperfield is far better, and not much longer.

Surely David Copperfield is the longest novel?

>> > Then there's Tiny Tim, the death of Paul Dombey, and Oliver
>> > bloody Twist.
>>
>> These are characters in a novel, not real people.  They are
>> creations.
>
> But they are treated in a sentimental, mawkish way.

There is certanly a lot of what I would call "humanity" and
perhaps even emotion in Dickens's treatment but I might draw the
line at "mawkish"!

hummingbird F

Dec 29, 2008, 8:22:23 PM12/29/08
On Tue 30 Dec08 00:26, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

Regarding your final paragraph, I must say I differ in respect of
hand-holding others. You may see your aversion as not suffering
fools gladly and I suppose there is merit in challenging others
especially when it comes to fools who consider themselves to be
wise.

On the other hand ... although I really don't like to sound
elitist I have to say that there are many people who are not
familiar with the rigorous mental processes you may find come
easily to you. Personally, I've found it very rewarding to help
these people gain an appreciation of ideas or techniques (often in
mathematics) which they had been convinced were beyond them. My
dislike of elitism refuses to see these people deserving lesser
rights or being less important just because their strengths do not
lie in cognitive matters.

You quote Plato. Interestingly it is he who invented Socrates as a
vehicle for dialogs in which one person gains understanding by
showing his ignorance and asking questions of another who knows
the answers. The modern day way of wester thinking may have
turned out quite differently if Socrates had been a character who,
like you, didn't suffer fools gladly and told hopeless Plato to
piss off and read it up in a book! IYSWIM.

Hummingbird/Franklin

--
help Dai Davis fight against Database Britain
http://www.daviddavisforfreedom.com/
extremism is like a chronic disease: it kills you in the end.

John Stubbings

Dec 29, 2008, 9:04:06 PM12/29/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:22:23 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird F wrote:

> On the other hand ... although I really don't like to sound
> elitist I have to say that there are many people who are not
> familiar with the rigorous mental processes you may find come
> easily to you. Personally, I've found it very rewarding to help
> these people gain an appreciation of ideas or techniques (often in
> mathematics) which they had been convinced were beyond them. My
> dislike of elitism refuses to see these people deserving lesser
> rights or being less important just because their strengths do not
> lie in cognitive matters.

I try to take elitism out of the equation altogether, and take a view that
almost anyone can teach me something. The trick is you have to listen to
them, not yourself. That's the hard bit.

--
Eat my sig, Bottoms...
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
Destroy the Triumvirate...

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 9:09:06 PM12/29/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:22:23 GMT, hummingbird F
<whiteh...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:

>On Tue 30 Dec08 00:26, abelard <abel...@abelard.org> wrote

>> no problems with any of the above

you want me to work?!

part one
the poster/s in question is both ignorant and arrogant....a very
widespread combination....
there is no point arguing with idiots...first it is better to stop
them arguing....
only idiots argue...arguing is a verbal form of violence

part two...
in order to use my time as effectively as possible, it is better
i use filtering methods in order not to waste my purity of
essence on the less able....
there are many able posters here who, will at times, be more
patient than myself with the weaker (and arrogant) souls....

part three
language is never highly reliable.....thus i must use degrees
of clarity according to what i see/perceive...
the more able will push me for detail...as you are doing...

i trust people to row their own boats.....
if i row for them, they won't learn much....

my observation inclines me to believe that the standards of
education that can be reached by most people is *far*
higher than the culture believes....
but potential is not performance...

one of the greatest blocks to learning is a belief that one knows
already...
in the cases you are viewing, breaking that malfunction is a priority
above the content of any given 'topic'/'subject'....

what i do throws them on their own resources....let them swim or
let them run....
that way they self-select....thus i can best work with the most
motivated...that is better use of my resources...

education is a chain reaction...
i don't think the best use of my poe is baby-sitting the weakest...

ps, i am a registered elitist :-)

abelard

Dec 29, 2008, 9:12:55 PM12/29/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 02:04:06 +0000, John Stubbings
<anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:22:23 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird F wrote:
>
>> On the other hand ... although I really don't like to sound
>> elitist I have to say that there are many people who are not
>> familiar with the rigorous mental processes you may find come
>> easily to you. Personally, I've found it very rewarding to help
>> these people gain an appreciation of ideas or techniques (often in
>> mathematics) which they had been convinced were beyond them. My
>> dislike of elitism refuses to see these people deserving lesser
>> rights or being less important just because their strengths do not
>> lie in cognitive matters.
>
>I try to take elitism out of the equation altogether, and take a view that
>almost anyone can teach me something. The trick is you have to listen to
>them, not yourself. That's the hard bit.

i don't think that is 'hard' if your interest is in how people
learn/think.....

consider repairing 'cars....you have to observe/listen to
the 'car if you are to be effective...
does that mean the 'car mechanic is 'an elitist'?

question...just what do you mean by 'elitist'?

Brian (Groups)

Dec 29, 2008, 9:14:26 PM12/29/08
On Dec 30, 11:02 am, hummingbird F

<whitehall1...@REMOVETHIStoucano.plus.com> wrote:
> [Thread xposted to ACF & UPM.]
>
> On Mon 29 Dec08 15:36, abelard <abela...@abelard.org> wrote
> --As Schopenhauer wrote: “Every truth passes through three stages

> before it is recognized: In the first it is ridiculed, in the
> second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident.

You raise a good point here HB. Anything which becomes "accepted", on
the basis of a popular vote of some sort, is not validated by science
on that basis. But the plot thickens. The kinds of consensus to come
out of Kyoto, the IPCC etc. have been *forced* consensus. That is,
everybody with all their differing opinions, sit down and are told to
come up with something (of a compromise) that can be taken to the
public. It might not reflect a single one of the individual opinions
among the participants.

"The “climate consensus” notion functions primarily as a marketing
tool for converting the public to a political viewpoint, rather than
as a valid scientific approach toward understanding global warming."

The whole climate change thing /has/ to operate on this basis, because
it's all based on guesses that have to be continually revised as one
omen after the other is shot down in the face of newly emerging facts
(e.g. actual current temperature records). It can not operate under
the scientific method because its results are not reproducible and
even its best guesstimates are next to useless - for instance,
predicting a temperature rise which is /within/ the error margin of
the "agreed" current global temperature! But it's not just "consensus"
they are forced to employ in place of proper science, there's also
this:
http://www.cougarinfo.org/politics/discienc.html

;-)

Brian

Brian (Groups)

Dec 29, 2008, 10:10:10 PM12/29/08

I'd bet on it. His entire approach to arguing this thread is
indicative of a lack of anything vaguely scientific in his mindset.
Just another unqualified self-appointed "expert" who collects
documents that suit his agenda, rejecting those that don't suit, out-
of-hand.

Thankfully he isn't a scientist - he'd be "binning" all the data
points that didn't suit his preordained conclusion! ;-)

Brian

John Stubbings

Dec 30, 2008, 5:39:40 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 03:12:55 +0100, abelard wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 02:04:06 +0000, John Stubbings
> <anna.riceD...@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:22:23 GMT, [Gollum] hummingbird F wrote:
>>
>>> On the other hand ... although I really don't like to sound
>>> elitist I have to say that there are many people who are not
>>> familiar with the rigorous mental processes you may find come
>>> easily to you. Personally, I've found it very rewarding to help
>>> these people gain an appreciation of ideas or techniques (often in
>>> mathematics) which they had been convinced were beyond them. My
>>> dislike of elitism refuses to see these people deserving lesser
>>> rights or being less important just because their strengths do not
>>> lie in cognitive matters.
>>
>>I try to take elitism out of the equation altogether, and take a view that
>>almost anyone can teach me something. The trick is you have to listen to
>>them, not yourself. That's the hard bit.
>
> i don't think that is 'hard' if your interest is in how people
> learn/think.....
>
> consider repairing 'cars....you have to observe/listen to
> the 'car if you are to be effective...
> does that mean the 'car mechanic is 'an elitist'?

I don't think you were 'listening' to me abelard :)

I was commenting on Franklin's dislike of elitism and trying to take the
discussion a bit further. It wasn't meant to be entirely literal. Because
if you look at his statement he's still struggling not to be elitist.

It's not meant to be a criticism of either of you, because it's something I
recognise in myself. Just an observation and a comment on the value of
humility.

> question...just what do you mean by 'elitist'?

When aracari calls me a fascist, I see a fat Italian, in the same way when
elitist is applied to you I see narrowness of vision.

It is loading more messages.