WRN (Sirius Channel 140) Schedule

David

Mar 26, 2006, 5:11:36 PM3/26/06

RHF

Mar 27, 2006, 3:21:01 AM3/27/06
DaviD - Some of these are available on Radio Canada One
Over-Night via regional Canadian AM & FM Radio Stations
for those with the desire and skill to hear them Over-the-Air
vice via Satellite.

READ - Listening North of the Border to Canada
* Radio Canada (CBC)
* Radio Canada International (RCI)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/61eb12ac79680dbf

RADIO-ONE-CANADA => http://tinyurl.com/3lse4
NOTE: Most Internaional Shortwave Broadcasts BBC, DW, RCI,
ABC, RNZ, NHK, CRI, VOR, VOA, etc are the easier catches.
CBC OVERNIGHT => http://www.cbc.ca/overnight/

just my two cents worth - jm2cw ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

running dogg

Mar 27, 2006, 12:55:48 PM3/27/06
RHF wrote:

CBC MW stations can be heard quite well in the northern states during
nighttime. The further south you go the likelihood of hearing these
stations decreases, since the range of a MW station at night is 1000
miles or so. I have NEVER heard a Canadian station here in Sacramento.
I've heard Seattle, but not Canada. I'm closer to Mexico, but I wouldn't
be able to tell a true Mexican station from a US domestic Spanish
language one.

David

Mar 27, 2006, 1:50:42 PM3/27/06

Try 900 kHz at night. 1050, 1570 as well.

RHF

Mar 27, 2006, 3:47:26 PM3/27/06
RD,

FWIW - The 'true' Mexican Radio Stations with have an "X",
which sounds like 'eck', as the first letter of their Call Signs.

I can generally pick-up CBK 540 kHz (SK) and CBU 690 kHz (BC)
from Canada for the "OverNight" International News Programming;
here in the Sierras north of Yosemite in the wee-hours of the mornings.

RADIO-ONE-CANADA=> http://tinyurl.com/3lse4

NOTE - That XETRA from Tijuana, BN, Mexico is also on 690 kHz
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?state=&call=&arn=&city=&freq=690&fre2=690&type=0&facid=&class=&list=1&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

NOTE - Then there is another Mexican AM Radio Station
that appears on 540 kHz at night and seems to change
the program format frequently.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?state=&call=&arn=&city=&freq=540&fre2=540&type=0&facid=&class=&list=1&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

TIP - A One-Metre Box AM/MW Box Loop Antenna
plus a Grundig Satellit 800 Radio will pick-up most
of what I want to hear on the AM/MW Band up here
in Twain Harte, CA - USA.

IMHO - 55.5% of the AM/MW Radio Reception is using an
Antenna designed for AM Medium Wave reception. For most
AM/MW DXers a Two to Four Foot {Home Made} Loop Antenna
will greatly improve their AM/MW DXing Listening experience.

Consider these AM/MW Antenna choices for better
AM Medium Wave Radio Reception :

# 1 - Home-Made Box or Hula-Hoop Loop Antenna

# 2 - Select-A-Tenna used as a Random Wire {Longwire}
Antenna Tuner-Coupler with a good AM/MW Radio.

# 3 - CB / 10m Whip Antenna mounted on 21 Foot piece
of Top-Rail plus Active Antenna Pre-Amp on the Mast.

# 4 - 50-100 Foot High Tuned Wire Vertical Antenna
with a Tapped AM/MW Base Loading Coil
- - - Four Foot (4') of Six Inch (6") PVC Pipe with
400 Feet of # 14 AWG Stranded THNN Wire that is
wrapped at Five Turns-per-Inch (5 TPI) around it for
60 Turns (100 Feet of Wire) per Foot of Pipe.
The first 60 Turns function as the common primary
of the Matching Transformer and Loading Coil Tap # 1
The second 60 Turns is Middle Coil Tap #2 and the
third 120 Turns is the Top of the Coil Tap #3.
Note - The Bottom of the Loading Coil Tap #0 is
Grounded to a Ground Rod installed at the Base
of the Vertical Wire Antenna Element and the Coax
Cable Feed-in-Line is connected across Taps #0
and #1 with the Shield to Ground Tap #0.
Coil-Tuning-Adjustments : The Vertical Wire Antenna
Element is connected to the Top of the Coil Tap #3
and a Jumper is used to Short-Out Tap #3 to #2 and
Tap #3 to #2 for tuning broad ranges of the AM/MW
Band.
* Top-Tap #3 by itself = Lower AM/MW (LW?) Band
* Tap #3 Shorted to Tap #2 = Center AM/MW Band
* Tap #3 Shorted to Tap #1 = Higher AM/MW Band

# 5 - 300-500 Foot Long BOG Antenna pointed
in the direction of where you want to hear from.
BOG = Beverage-on-the-Ground Antenna

READ - Australian One-Meter Loop Antenna
for Improving AM Broadcast Band Reception
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/432180b40e5a8feb

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4a8a98c9c86afd14

Also consider the Select-A-Tenna (SAT) for improved
AM/MW DXing = Your Radio + Lazy Susan + Select-A-Tenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/96782591c4093837

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/bfb6f893a12639dd

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/b0bc7c5a6fdde9a3

READ - AM/MW DXing with the GE Superadio III
or the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/7d9d216f62a0a6dd

just my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !

David

Mar 27, 2006, 4:51:43 PM3/27/06
On 27 Mar 2006 12:47:26 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>RD,
>
>FWIW - The 'true' Mexican Radio Stations with have an "X",
>which sounds like 'eck', as the first letter of their Call Signs.

ekkis

bpnjensen

Mar 27, 2006, 6:09:31 PM3/27/06
>CBC MW stations can be heard quite well in the northern states during
nighttime. The further south you go the likelihood of hearing these
stations decreases, since the range of a MW station at night is 1000
miles or so.<

Huh? The skywave range is considerably longer than that! On a
portable radio with a strung up 75-foot wire antenna in Massachusetts,
I heard Salt Lake City & Texas (2,000 miles) on a regular basis all
night, and on a couple of occasions Los Angeles (3,000 miles). I have
easily heard Wyoming (~900 miles) here early summer mornings in the SF
Bay area using my *car radio* - and I doubt that a strong Canadian
station would take much more to get here than that one, especially if
it could use the grayline as the kicker.

Bruce Jensen

RHF

Mar 28, 2006, 2:41:20 AM3/28/06
Senor David - 'ekkis' sounds good to me ~ RHF

RHF

Mar 28, 2006, 2:44:08 AM3/28/06
Note to self remember "Dos {XX} Ekkis"