AM Antenna Problem

1 view

Namikis

Apr 24, 2005, 12:34:44 PM4/24/05
I have Sony stereo recever in my office.  FM reception is ok, but I get zero AM.  I have experimented with AM loops (the plastic loops that typically come with receivers, of which I have several sizes from receivers I have owned in the past): reception of the one station I am targetting improves a bit with a loop flat against the window glass, but not enough so to make it listenable.  I tried the Terk Tower amplified AM/FM antenna - that was worse than the loops - no signal at all.

Any antennae you would recommend for this purpose?  Anything I could home-brew that would be better?  I am targetting 640 khz?

If the building - note that this is a Fortune 500 corporation - was designed to keep 802.11bg signals in (wireless networking) - could this be part of the problem?  how can I overcome it (without breachingthe integrity of the walls).

Thanks,

David

Apr 24, 2005, 1:03:23 PM4/24/05
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:34:44 -0700, "Namikis" <sifo...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

You'd probably need an outside antenna of some kind. This station
doesn't stream on the web?

Namikis

Apr 24, 2005, 8:53:10 PM4/24/05
The station does stream, but streaing is blocked by the firewall at
work.

It is hard to believe that there are no alternatives - I hear the
station (faintly) when the loop is placed (and oriented properly) on
the window sill.

Is there a website dedicated to passive AM antenna design out there?
The other experiment I have not tried i connecting the ground terminal
lug of the recever to the electrical ground of the building, while
keeping the loop tied to the othe lug. Will try that next.

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 24, 2005, 9:42:58 PM4/24/05
I can pick up 640 kHz on my radios.I don't know what kind of a station
it is though.I hear some Spanish music but it comes in faint.The station
is either Northwest (Colorado,perhaps?) or Southeast of me.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 24, 2005, 10:11:52 PM4/24/05
Check out the new Sony gadget at, www.smarthome.com/6346.html
With that new Sony gadget,you can access your computer from your home
and online radio and tv stations too anwhere in the World,or so the
advertisement at www.smarthome.com claims.They sell a 7 inch screen
model for $899.99 and a 12 inch screen model for $1299.99.I want me one!
I think they require broad band internet access.
cuhulin

Tony Meloche

Apr 24, 2005, 11:36:41 PM4/24/05

I see nothing NW of you at appreciable wattage on that frequency -
and I can see no stations in Colorado at 640 (though I do use a cutoff
on my list).

SE of you, I would consider Cuba strongly. Plenty of blowtorch
stations, including on that frequency, and the Spanish music would go
without saying. The same could be said of Mexico, but if I understand
you correctly, base on your post, Mexico is a "null" direction from you
when you are hearing this station.

Tony

Namikis

Apr 24, 2005, 11:42:41 PM4/24/05
It is KFI640 in LA dude. I am 45 miles away - not sure where the repeaters
are if tehre are any.

<cuh...@webtv.net> wrote in message

RHF

Apr 25, 2005, 12:20:56 AM4/25/05
Namikis,
.
FWIW - I would recommend the Select-A-Tenna Model #541-M
http://www.selectatenna.com/
http://www.ccrane.com/select-am-antenna-m.aspx
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
http://www.antennawarehouse.com/AM-FM/Select-A-tenna.htm
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/product.php?productid=566&cat=0&page=1
.
Read these Messages from the Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on
YAHOO !
* About - The three 'small' commercial AM/MW/BCB Loop Antennas
and more . . .
* AM/MW DXing = Your Radio + Lazy Susan + Select-A-Tenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1787
* AM/MW DXing : Three Loop Antennas
and Three 'portable' Super Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/775
* Three 'different' Radio Bands and . . .
two to three 'different' Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1809
.
Read these webpages related to AM/MW Radio Reception
issues from the C. Crane Co. website
* Improving AM/MW Reception In An Office Building
http://www.ccrane.com/news/office-am-reception.04.29.02.aspx
* AM/MW Reception Tips
http://www.ccrane.com/news/am-reception-tips.10.29.01.aspx
* A Simple Guide to Better AM Reception
http://www.ccrane.com/news/am-reception.08.25.03.aspx
* Radio Noise Problems & Possible Solutions
http://www.ccrane.com/radio-noise-problems.aspx
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
. . . . .

Namikis

Apr 25, 2005, 12:32:37 AM4/25/05
This looks like exactly what I am looking for. Will report back after I try
it.

THANKS

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

David

Apr 25, 2005, 1:17:53 PM4/25/05

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:42:41 -0700, "Namikis" <sifo...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

I'm 45 miles from KFI, more or less, too. Since their tower fell down
they've been on half power through a little 150' or so stick. Why is
hearing Limbaugh and Doctor Laura so important?

RHF

Apr 25, 2005, 1:31:20 PM4/25/05
David,
.

" Why is hearing Limbaugh and Doctor Laura so important? "
.
All Things Considered . . .
If 'you' Have To Ask - 'you' Would Not Understand [.]

feel the rush - now go do the right thing ~ RHF
. . . . . .

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 25, 2005, 1:38:47 PM4/25/05
640 kHz is in the LA (Los Angeles) area? I didn't know that,but I Say
that is great.That shows I can pick it up at night time wayyyyyyy over
here in Jackson,Mississippi,about 2,000 something miles away.I am fixin
to go to the Goodwill thrift store for a while now.I need to get my junk
fix.
cuhulin

Les

Apr 25, 2005, 1:58:36 PM4/25/05

Boooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

That must have been the sound of that spring inside your skull breaking
loose............

The frequency of 640 Khz is occupied by more stations than you can
shake a stick it. I haven't looked in my station log, because it isn't
real importatnt to me, but I would bet there is at least one in every
state.

If you think you can get a Los Angeles station in Jackson, Ms., I have
a 34 tube Zenith Transoceanic I would like to sell to you.

Les

Les

Apr 25, 2005, 2:37:39 PM4/25/05

I made a mistake on the 640 khz statement, that is a clear channel
frequency for stations with 50,000 watts of transmit power, here is the
list of stations on 640 KHZ.

KYUK BETHEL AK 10000 10000 NDA NWS/VARIETY
5/98

KFI LOS ANGELES CA 50000 50000 NDA
TALK 5/98

WLVJ ROYAL PALM BEAC FL 7500 460 DA-2
REL 5/98

WVLG WILDWOOD FL 930 860 NDA
SOFT AC EX-WHOF 9/03 P
28-54-16 81-57-36
WGST ATLANTA GA 50000 1000 DA-2
REG. MEX VIVA EX-WPBD/WGST 9/04 F

# WBOW TERRE HAUTE IN 250 250 DA-N
JRN 10/01 #

WOI AMES IA 5000 1000 DA-N
NWS/TLK 5/98

KTIB THIBODEAUX LA 5000 1000 DA-2
NWS/TALK 6/04 F

WNNZ WESTFIELD MA 50000 1000 DA-2
SPORTS 1/01 F

WMFN ZEELAND MI 2200 230 NDA
TALK WROR/WBMX/WISZ 6/03 F

KGVW BELGRADE MT 10000 1000 DA-1
REL/S GSPL SRN 2/02 F

WWJZ MOUNT HOLLY NJ 50000 1000 DA-2
CHILDRENS DISNEY 8/99 F

WFNC FAYETTEVILLE NC 10000 1000 NDA
TALK 5/98

WHLO AKRON OH 5000 500 DA-2
TALK 6/02 F

WWLS MOORE OK 5000 1000 DA-2
SPORTS //KLGH 5/02 F

WGOC BLOUNTSVILLE TN 10000 810 DA-N
C&W ABC REAL C&W EX-WJTZ 5/00 F

WCRV COLLIERVILLE TN 50000 480 DA-N
RELIGION 5/98

Les

RM MS

Apr 25, 2005, 2:32:45 PM4/25/05
The simplest antenna would be a wire passed through a window or wall and
strung out as long as possible. Even left to dangle down the side of the
bldg would get you some signal. If there is no AM antenna terminal screw
on the radio, just wrap the radioadtapeitinto placewhereer it delivers
most signal strength. Thse types f bildings almost never let AM through
and are very radio-noisy anyway. You need to get outside somehow. Use
light-gage wire for stealth.

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 25, 2005, 4:56:43 PM4/25/05
There is a 630 AM radio station in the Jackson area that always comes in
loud and clear.I rarely ever listen to that 630 radio station though,I
think it is a sports station.There are quite a few sports talk radio
stations on AM and FM in the Jackson area.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 25, 2005, 4:50:25 PM4/25/05
Les,how much money are you asking for that 34 tube Zenith Transoceanic
Radio? I used to pick up a (and I still do sometimes at night) AM radio
station in Sacramento,California and another AM radio station in San
Francisco,California even with some of my old little six and eight
transistor shirt pocket radios.I have picked up a AM radio station in
Portland,Oregon and another AM radio station in New York City
many,many,many times before on my cheap little transistor radios before
and I still can too.I have picked up to those two AM radio stations in
California and Oregon and New York City and many other far away places
as far back as in the early 1950's.I have known for many,many years
there are some radio stations that have the same radio station call
letters as some other radio stations.So that is very,very old news to
me.
cuhulin

David

Apr 25, 2005, 6:06:14 PM4/25/05

I've heard KFI in Houston.

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 25, 2005, 6:47:31 PM4/25/05
I made a typo,actually,it is a 620 AM radio station in the Jackson area
I was talking about.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 25, 2005, 6:55:42 PM4/25/05
I can easily pick up some AM radio stations in Texas.San Antonio and
Dallas and Beaumont and Houston are no sweat for my radios to pick up
and neither are some AM radio stations in Louisiana (New Orleans and
Schreveport) and Alabama (Birmingham) and Tennessee (Memphis and
Nashville) and Georgia (Atlanta) and Arkansas (Little Rock) at night
time.I can pick up WNOE in New Orleans in the day time,although WNOE
does fade in and out in the day time.
cuhulin

Tony Meloche

Apr 25, 2005, 8:16:10 PM4/25/05

I wouldn't have put it quite that way, but I do agree with Les's
point - whatever station you are getting on 640, is is very, VERY
unlikely it is from Los Angeles.

Michael A. Terrell

Apr 25, 2005, 8:48:17 PM4/25/05
Les wrote:

> I made a mistake on the 640 khz statement, that is a clear channel
> frequency for stations with 50,000 watts of transmit power, here is the
> list of stations on 640 KHZ.
>
> Les

Where did you get this data?

WLVJ ROYAL PALM BEAC FL 7500 460 DA-2 REL 5/98

This station is on 24 hours a day and plays big band music from "The
Villages" in Lady Lake Florida. It changed hands a couple years ago and
is no longer a religious station. It is a pain because they over
modulate and splatter the lower part of the AM broadcast band.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 26, 2005, 3:22:25 AM4/26/05
Well,I guess I don't know where all of the 640's are in U.S.A. I can
easily do a www.dogpile.com for them and look them up.But,the 640
AM radio station I was listening to definetly was either Northwest or
Southeast of me.I know which way is North,South,East and West and in
between those points of my Compass without needing to actually look at
my Compass.I had the back of my radio aimed to the Northwest to pick up
the best signal from that 640 AM radio station (wherever that particular
AM 640 radio station I was listening to is?) because my couch faces due
West and that was the easiest way for me holding the front of my radio
in front of me.It would have worked the same way (it isn't rocket
science,boys and girls) even I had been holding the back side of my
radio in front of me.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 26, 2005, 3:27:00 AM4/26/05
I passed through Lady Lake,Florida once.Lady Lake is not far Northwest
(I am not cheating and looking it up first in my Rand McNallly Road
Atlas) out of Orlando.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 26, 2005, 3:35:50 AM4/26/05
The Villages is mostly a retirement community in Florida.y'all might not
believe it,but I do have a snail mail brochure here in a clear plastic
wrapper I ordered from their website.This week,I am gong to snail mail
it to that married Irish woman wayyyy over yonder across the big
pond.OK,now call me a liar.Oh,by the way,a few years ago,I told her she
can have part of my half acre in Interchalen,Florida for free.She told
me she just might take me up on that offer someday.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Apr 26, 2005, 3:43:04 AM4/26/05
If they are playing Big Band Music all the time,Hey,that is Great! There
Should be more Big Band Music Radio Stations all over U.S.A.! on AM and
FM Radio Stations.There is a Radio Station like that here in
Jackson.Rock On,The Villages,Rock On,Lady Lake,Florida,Rock On!
cuhulin

Namikis

May 4, 2005, 1:16:39 AM5/4/05
I ordered the Select-A-Tenna M-541 last week, received it yesterday,
installed today and, voila - it works exactly as advertised, I can
now get KFI640 loud and clear inside my office. Very hapy with it.
This is in a completely different league compared to the Terk line up
at Best Buy. Thanks for the tip, RHF!

Namikis