RealXtend Tundra 2.3.0 is released!

Jukka Jylänki

Feb 28, 2012, 2:51:34 PM2/28/12
to realxt...@googlegroups.com, real...@googlegroups.com
Good evening everyone,

it's release time for Tundra 2.3.0! Get it from
http://code.google.com/p/realxtend-naali/downloads/list .

Read the detailed changelog below. Very brief summary of major things:
- new rigid body network protocol, which is heaps better.
- rewritten Mumble VOIP plugin.
- switched to using a more stable and secure fork of ogre,
https://bitbucket.org/clb/ogre-safe-nocrashes/overview
- tons of performance optimizations, and crash fixes.
- tons of security fixes.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to upgrade to this
version. Seriously. Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Compatibility with 2.2.0:
- 2.3.0 clients can log in to 2.2.0 servers.
- 2.2.0 clients cannot log in to 2.3.0 servers.
- No known regressions/breakages with the scripting APIs.

Known issues for this release:
- https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/394
- https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/393
- https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/392
- for other outstanding items, see
https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/

A More Complete Changelog:
Note: The numbers with # signs refer to github issue tracker numbers, e.g.
#314 -> https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/314 .

- Implemented a new path for streaming rigid bodies over the network.
This allows a far larger number of concurrent clients on a server. (#314,
#322, #354)
- Comparative profile of the Physics demo scene:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/Tundra_RigidBody_PhysicsScene.png
- Old rigid body streaming code was about 70bytes/update:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/OldRigidBodyStreaming_70b.png
- New code averages at about 11bytes/update:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/NewRigidBodyPackets_11b.png
- User counts as large as 64 users are doable, but largely depends on
what is running in the scene:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/kNetServer64users.png
- Updated Physics demo scene. Added a new Physics2 demo scene.
- Fixed security issues in SyncManager sync action filter hooks.
- Fix a crash that occurred with TransformEditor.
- Fix a bug where the avatar mouse controls would not work at all on some
scenes.
- Add support for launching Tundra from a web browser using the tundra://
protocol URL.
- Limit local asset file loads to keep at least 30fps rendering rate, if
possible.
- Added a new loading screen script to display scene/asset loading
status, for improved responsiveness. (#328, #330)
- Fixed several UI issues with the Profiler display window.
- Greatly improved scene loading performance for large scenes that are
loaded from the local filesystem. (#327)
- Added a --no_async_asset_load command line option to allow disabling
the background asset loader thread. (Can improve performance, see
https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues/332 )
- Added a new plugin: AssetInterestPlugin, which performs
runtime-unloading of unused assets to keep memory consumption down on
large scenes.
- Added a script-driven throttling mechanism to scene server->client
synchronization mechanism to improve user responsiveness when logging in
to a scene. (#302, #337, )
- Added a new "Open config folder" option to the Settings menu.
- Fix a regression bug introduced in 2.2.0 which broke .mesh file
importing by drag-n-drop.
- Added improved error logging in several situations: when loading bad
materials, when misusing animationcontroller and mesh components, and when
printing out script errors.
- Added script functions for tangent frame computations along the
terrain. (#298)
- Added a new shader program combination: DiffSpecflatNormal.
- Added a built-in material Wireframe.material for debugging aid.
- Fix several issues and enable calling more functions with the generic
function invoker.
- Add support for alpha-tested shadows.
- Old: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/OldShadows.png
- New: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40949268/Tundra/AlphaShadows.png
- Moved to build Tundra against a ogre fork ogre-safe-nocrashes
(https://bitbucket.org/clb/ogre-safe-nocrashes/overview), instead of the
ogre trunk to improve security and fix bugs.
- Fork based on Ogre 1.8.0 branch, instead of 1.7.3.
- Fixes issues with Ogre crashing on certain .dds files. (#345)
- Fixes an Ogre crash related to bad .material files. (#343)
- Fixes an Ogre crash when a .mesh does not contain any normals. (#386)
- Fixes a crash when editing a .hdx asset twice while Tundra is
running, caused by an Ogre crash to a dangling compositor pointer access.
(#41, #331)
- Fix crash issues with malformed mesh inputs. (#377)
- TextureTool: Added two different mipmap generation options for creating
mipmaps for alpha-tested textures.
- Fix a bug where underwater fog did not work for EC_WaterPlane. (#342)
- Fix a crash bug with bad EC_WaterPlane segments attribute values.
- Make Tundra consistently use UDP as the default protocol in every
situation. The use of TCP is in general discouraged, and should only be
enabled for testing or firewall penetration.
- Updated to newest stable kNet version.
- Fixed Scene::GetEntitiesWithComponent to actually work.
- Rewrote the Mumble VOIP implementation from scratch. (#349)
- Fixed a bug where asset dependencies could not be satisfied due to case
sensitivity issues on Windows.
- Added a new "Clear Asset Cache" menu option.
- Added support to Asset API to do asset live-upload. See
http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend-dev/browse_thread/thread/6f44c428b09c3a52
- Fixed a bug with mouse movement not working on Mac.
- Changed Tundra .dds loading to not automatically generate mip levels
for .dds textures that did not contain them. (#356)
- Fixed a crash if user attempted to cyclically parent entities to each
other.
- Added new command line parameters --opengl, --direct3d9, --d3d9 and
--nullrenderer.
- Note: The nullrenderer plugin is not however shipped with this
release, due to incompatibilities with Ogre 1.8.0.
- Added support for liveupdate (and liveupload) to work on assets that
reside in the asset cache.
- Improved "Open File Location" assets window context menu option to
select the asset file on Windows, instead of just opening the folder.
- Greatly improved the loading times of large terrains.
- Other closed issues:
- #98, #251, #340, #84, #323, #355, #48, #310, #351, #362, #375, #384,
#376, #387, #390, #321, #336, #389.
- +other changes. See the full comparison at
https://github.com/realXtend/naali/compare/tundra2.2.0...tundra2.3.0

and as usual, the github issue tracker is open throughout the night and
after-hours for your tickets serving purposes,
https://github.com/realXtend/naali/issues

Best Regards,
jj

Jonne Nauha

Feb 28, 2012, 7:08:11 PM2/28/12
to realxt...@googlegroups.com, real...@googlegroups.com
Great write up for the changelog, must have taken hours to dig the git log and put that together. I think that and looking at the diff makes it clear for everyone this is a major release for Tundra. 295 commits, 42000 line additions and 9600 line removals from the code base since 2.2. That's pretty massive even if its not all code, at least about 25k of the additions were actually example scene txml files (but thats good too!) :)

Also not mentioned there is the heaps of improvements done to the mac build scripts and a new docs page devoted for mac build instructions. This is mainly thanks to Jukka, and as a result of him working on mac we also got some pesky mac specific bugs ironed out.

I'd also like to mention that people have been updating (and cleaning out rubbish from) the Tundra API docs at http://realxtend.org/doxygen/. We'd love to hear how we could improve the docs, tell us whats missing via a issue in github with the "Documentation" tag applied.

Couple of the new pages in the docs:
Thanks to everyone who were involved in the release from Adminotech also! Keep your eyes peeled as more big things for Tundra are coming...

Best regards,
Jonne Nauha
Adminotech developer

Jonne Nauha

Feb 28, 2012, 7:18:00 PM2/28/12
to realxt...@googlegroups.com, real...@googlegroups.com
Oh also, if you are using Adminotech login portals to get into your favorite Tundra scenes, the servers will be updated to 2.3 tomorrow. But this will only be done once all the releases are out, like Adminotech client update and mac 2.3 release, but I'm sure we can do all that during tomorrow if nothing big comes up. As Jukkas mail explained you can login to our 2.2 servers already with a 2.3 client, but once the servers are updated 2.2 clients are incompatible due to the new network optimizations, we might even enforce this on the scripting level if its not already done by the lower protocol level to keep our servers as stable as possible.

Ludocrafts circus is also now (among other scenes) hosted on the realXtend login portal at http://login.realxtend.org/ if someone has missed it and want to check it out!

Best regards,
Jonne Nauha
Adminotech developer