3/23/09 same problem task mgr. error 4/18/09 Please Help?

charisme

Apr 19, 2009, 1:48:01 AM4/19/09
4/18/09 originally posted this 3/23 Task Mgr Error
I have read, and followed all of the suggested support articles, in fact
I've done each of them 2 - 3 times. Please Help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913623/en-us <--- This did NOT work!
I also took your advice and downloaded Malwarebyes. We communicated 20+
times and I still have the same problem.
I'd Appreciate it sooo Much if it would get resolved/ I have wasted a lot of
time and got no where.
Thank you, sorry its always gotta be a problem we write about!
You Are the Positive!
Char in Santa Rosa CA

Pegasus [MVP]

Apr 19, 2009, 2:37:56 AM4/19/09

"charisme" <char...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I suggest you start your own thread and describe your problem in detail so
that potential respondents know what issue you're dealing with. When you do,
compose a meaningfull header that is a brief problem description.

charisme

Apr 19, 2009, 4:08:01 AM4/19/09

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> Start my own thread? I will take it that it mean for me to Post a new message / question? Please Let me know if this isn't what you meant. Thanks again, Char

Pegasus [MVP]

Apr 19, 2009, 4:11:13 AM4/19/09

>> Start my own thread? I will take it that it mean for me to Post a new
>> message / question? Please Let me know if this isn't what you meant.
>> Thanks again, Char

That's exactly what it means:
- Start a new thread
- Compose a meaningful Subject line
- Describe your problem

Gerry

Apr 19, 2009, 4:17:18 AM4/19/09
Pegasus

Last time Charisme may have tried this suggestion:

Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your system.
Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
http://w ww.ms-mvp.org/

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
spam9...@rohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

pcbutts impersonating Leythos!

--

Gerry
~~~~

Gerry

Apr 19, 2009, 4:26:31 AM4/19/09
charisme

Last time did you take the advice of David Lipman or Leytho?.

Leyhos was being impersonated by pcButts. The Remove-it software offered was
at the least was of doubtful value and potentially could harm your computer

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tim Meddick

Apr 19, 2009, 8:15:37 AM4/19/09
Again - do a registry search for the VALUE:

DisableTaskMgr

...I have read the microsoft KnowledgeBase article on this (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913623/en-us ) and the value is not always
where they say it should be AND even they say it can be in two locations but
there are more! So, by doing a search for it you will get at the offending
entry which is ALWAYS called: DisableTaskMgr and IS responsible for this.

--

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 19, 2009, 12:53:15 PM4/19/09
Always reply to your original thread(s), please.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/03a221f9b6c1bdb0

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/ed1a4e9afec22bae

Repost:

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

charisme

Apr 21, 2009, 8:24:02 PM4/21/09

Hi PABear,
I thought I'd give you some quick feedback *** see the notes below.
I did manage to install the KB89083 - Now I have a New problem, this never
ends! New post too:
I JUST installed the KB89083 removal tool, Now I cannot find it
Yes, this maybe frustrating or as you said Complicated. I however cannot
bring it to the "Big box stores" I am out of work, and using my computer to
help me locate a job. I guess I'll learn somethings, and perhaps if nothing
else be a better infornmed computer user.
Thanks again, Char in Northern CA

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always reply to your original thread(s), please.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/03a221f9b6c1bdb0
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/ed1a4e9afec22bae
>
> Repost:
>
> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the affects of a hijackware
> infection.

> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

*** Unable to do this, my computer SHUT down! ***

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!
>
> 2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

*** I am not real clear on "Safe Mode" Or Networking...***

Tim Meddick

Apr 21, 2009, 8:40:35 PM4/21/09
charisme,
I think it's really ignorant of you not to respond to the
[two] new posts that you have made. As I reponded to them in quick time.
Anyone else is only going to give you exactly the same answer as have...
--

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

"charisme" <char...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 21, 2009, 10:23:32 PM4/21/09
Perhaps you can find a nearby computer tech school that might do the work
for free? Otherwise...

Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows
(using either the CD that came with the computer or the hidden Recovery
partition; check the manufacturer's support pages). Please note that a
Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/rogue.mspx

charisme

Apr 22, 2009, 10:37:01 PM4/22/09

Tim, You know what? I am IGNORANT.
I am Confused and the problems keep getting worse.
You were the only one there that I had been communicating with but I didn't
see your reply post And everyone does Not say the same things, same
solutions which is why I am so confused. If you read throught this stupid
posting history - it's rediculous. Repeating and repeating and nothing has
gotten better - Worse Much WORSE! I have 15 places that are INFECTED, Found 5
minutes ago by AVG.
SOME ARE NOT EVEN CAPABLE OF GETTING "HEALED" <-- oops! Sorry for those
CAPS! I still haven't gotten MRT.EXE and I've downloaded it 3 -4 times! This
started out small and has grown out of proportion - for me. I am at a
complete loss. And I feel totally sorry if I have offended you in any way
shape or form. I Surrender.
I thank you for your time and patience.
Good-night.
Un-cheers in California - Char

Tim Meddick

Apr 23, 2009, 1:27:24 AM4/23/09
charisme,
You know what - I'm sorry about what I said, you're not
ignorant at all - I'm very inpatient and not a very nice person for it. I
wrote what I did because you posted another reply in this thread and another
two new threads asking virtually the same thing, and, as you hadn't answered
my replies in the ten minutes it took me to get all flustered, I let rip. I
feel really bad about it ("so I should" I hear you say, and so I do!). Did
you see my reply on one of your new threads that you posted, naming the
actual downloaded file that contains MRT.exe as being called:

windows-kb890830-v2.9.exe

...this is what you have to find on your computer after the download. Only
look for the file MRT.exe if you chose "Run from this location" after you
started the download. If you chose "Save file to disk" then this 'other'
name is what you must look for and then 'run' that and MRT.exe will
automatically be installed to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory....

Sorry again, for being a pig.

--

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

"charisme" <char...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Terry R.

Apr 23, 2009, 12:05:36 PM4/23/09
The date and time was Wed Apr 22 2009 19:37:01 GMT-0700 (Pacific
Daylight Time), and on a whim, charisme pounded out on the keyboard:

> Tim, You know what? I am IGNORANT.
> I am Confused and the problems keep getting worse.
> You were the only one there that I had been communicating with but I didn't
> see your reply post And everyone does Not say the same things, same
> solutions which is why I am so confused. If you read throught this stupid
> posting history - it's rediculous. Repeating and repeating and nothing has
> gotten better - Worse Much WORSE! I have 15 places that are INFECTED, Found 5
> minutes ago by AVG.
> SOME ARE NOT EVEN CAPABLE OF GETTING "HEALED" <-- oops! Sorry for those
> CAPS! I still haven't gotten MRT.EXE and I've downloaded it 3 -4 times! This
> started out small and has grown out of proportion - for me. I am at a
> complete loss. And I feel totally sorry if I have offended you in any way
> shape or form. I Surrender.
> I thank you for your time and patience.
> Good-night.
> Un-cheers in California - Char

Hi Charisme,

Don't fret. Tim replies to the wrong person quite a bit. Kind of
called the kettle black here. But he apologized at least.

Did you try running Malwarebytes in Windows Safe Mode (restart, press F8
repeatedly until you get a menu, then select Safe Mode w/Networking)?
Some malware prevents these programs from running and that may be your
problem. IF you can update Malwarebytes within normal Windows, then
update, reboot and select just Safe Mode (no networking). Otherwise you
may have to try and update in Safe Mode w/Networking (you need
networking to access the internet).

I would also suggest Spybot:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

doing the same from within Safe Mode.

And you're right, some are not capable of getting healed. In those
instances you have to backup your data (unless it's hosed also),
reformat and install clean.

Terry R.

Tim Meddick

Apr 23, 2009, 12:38:27 PM4/23/09
Yes, I am sorry, again. Terry is right, forget MRT.exe, and download
SpyBotSD instead and MalwareBytes is another good one.

SpyBotDS:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

MalwareBytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

--

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 24, 2009, 1:25:17 AM4/24/09
=> If you'd been accessing this newsgroup via your default newsreader (e.g.,
Outlook Express), chances are you would have seen all posts in all of your
many threads (and may have stuck with your original thread, avoiding most of
this confusion).

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups

=> You are seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

--