System info opens Help and support

**{Steven}**

Jun 16, 2003, 6:25:54 PM6/16/03
No matter how I try it, whether start/programs/accessories/system
tools/system info or just going to the msinfo32.exe icon and clicking on it,
help and support center opens instead of system info. I posted 4 days ago
and got a couple answers that didn't help. Does anyone know how to fix this
problem?

Thanks In Advance

Steven Connor

Pearson Peng

Jun 16, 2003, 7:28:05 PM6/16/03
Hello Steven,

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

I suggest you remove the .cab files from the Packagestore folder, and then
rebuild the original Help and Support Center:

a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd to open a command prompt. Type the
following commands:

net stop helpsvc
cd /d C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install

b. Run Taskmgr.exe to launch Task Manager. If any of the following
processes are running, stop them:

helpsvc.exe
helphost.exe
helpctr.exe

c. At the command prompt, type: net start helpsvc

If the problem remains, I suggest you perform an In-Place Upgrade:

315341.KB.ZH-CN How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;ZH-CN;315341

Have a nice week!

Pearson Peng,
Microsoft Online Support
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

**{Steven}**

Jun 16, 2003, 9:36:55 PM6/16/03
Thank you very much, that worked. I did not need to do the in place upgrade.
I now get the system info window once again. I appreciate the help.

Steven

"Pearson Peng" <pear...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pearson Peng

Jun 17, 2003, 10:51:20 PM6/17/03
Hi Steven,

Thank you for your update and I am glad to hear the news.