Stop error when trying to install Windows Updates

sanct...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2006, 2:37:32 PM9/18/06

I've been trying to diagnose a serious and frustrating problem all
weekend.

My Dell Inspiron 9400 Windows XP SP2 crashes out to a BSOD with a stop
error code of 0x0000008E (0xC0000005...) everytime I try to install
updates using
Windows Update.

I've had to disable automatic updates to stop it from happening
everytime I boot up.

I tried System restore, Dell diagnostics scans on the hardware,
reducing hardware acceleration, virus scans + more..

I've also updated my BIOS, video driver and the HD has many gigs of
free space.

It even happens in safe mode if I try to install updates manually
downloaded from the Windows Update site.

I really want to try to repair the OS but Dell don't supply the OS CD
with their machines anymore.

I can't find a single relavent article in the Windows KB for the
particular stop error code caused my Windows Update.

I've already investigated the 'traditional' reasons for an 8E error
code.

If its a driver problem then how can System Restore and Safe Mode fail
to work? I tried restoring to a point many weeks ago and it still
crashes out. it used to work fine then.
This, coupled with a clean diagnostics run of the hardware make no
sense at all.

There were 5 pending Windows Updates. 1 of them DID install
succesfully. I rebooted and tried one of the other 4 and it BSOD'd.
these other 4 updates just don't want to be installed even if I try to
download them from the Windows update site and run them manually. It
just crashes again.

This person also is suffering the same issue and it occured the same
time as me:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/2e1bcdaffd0a71bf/7f90029ffe31cd67#7f90029ffe31cd67

Could it be a Windows Update problem??
What is going on?!
Please help..

Thanks,
sanc

MedRxman

Sep 18, 2006, 3:24:45 PM9/18/06
stop errors generally are driver errors.
I however sufferewd the same issue. But just prior to that I got a message
that McAfee encountered an error and the item was mscan.dll(i think).
I uninstalled McAfee AV and reinstalled it and all worked after several BSOD
like you.

If you have McAfee AV it's worth a try.
<sanct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sanctifyer

Sep 18, 2006, 3:45:41 PM9/18/06
MedRxman,

Yes I do have McAfee AV.
When you say you suffered the same issue, do you mean you got the same
stop error when trying to install Windows Updates?

Thanks,
sanc

MedRxman

Sep 18, 2006, 3:53:25 PM9/18/06
yes the same error and others also:
Page_Fault_innonpaged_area
stop 0X00000050

also
stop 0x0000008E
stop 0x0000007E

Got to a point that I could not even get to safe mode.

I did nothing other than remove and reinstall McAfee

"sanctifyer" <sanct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sanctifyer

Sep 18, 2006, 4:12:30 PM9/18/06
OK thanks,
I've give that a try and let you know what happens..

sanc

AlpenaTech

Sep 20, 2006, 11:27:02 AM9/20/06
Scanned two systems with Windows Defender, Adaware SE and Spybot S&D. Also
AVG Free Edition and Avira Free Edition.
Removed multiple spyware and trojan infections that retail (Norton and
McAfee) did not catch.
Did repiar installation (non-destructive recovery on HP) and all updates
work fine. BSOD no longer an issue.
Please use Folder Options to show hidden files and protected operating
system files first.

sanctifyer

Sep 21, 2006, 10:50:00 AM9/21/06
I tried uninstalling McAfee, but still the same stop error :(

sanc

sanctifyer

Sep 21, 2006, 10:04:06 PM9/21/06
OK, its definately an issue with only attempting to install updates:

KB919007, KB920685, KB922582, KB890830

I tested this by uninstalling an update from last month and then
attempting to install it again. it worked.

But it won't work with the updates listed above. I'll get the BSOD if I
try to install them... still dont know what to do :(

sanc

MedRxman

Sep 22, 2006, 2:32:09 PM9/22/06
Sorry the McAfee idea did not work for you.
Have you run Adaware or SpyBot recently and deleted some items? Perhaps
replacing the last quarantine items may be helpful.
Have you tried to install while in safe mode?

Good luck

I would suggest also if you are insistant on these updates besure to have a
back up copy of the registry if not an image of you current HDD.

"sanctifyer" <sanct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sanctifyer

Sep 22, 2006, 6:26:23 PM9/22/06
MedRxman,

Yep still doesn't work. Doesn't install in safe mode, same blue screen.
Anything that has been quarantined by my anti-virus/anti-spyware was in
temporary internet folders, none of that can be relavent.

Don't know what to do.

I could try a Symantic system restore (that sets my hd back to factory
image) but worried it might still happen.

sanc

bobofel

Sep 22, 2006, 7:14:45 PM9/22/06

I'm using an OEM pc with windows xp sp2 and I also have this problem,
but it is only an inconvenience at the moment.

After a few BSODs trying to install the updates i caught it before it
installed and told it to wait. I've gone on like this for a few weeks
but when I finally got round to updating windows media 9 to 11 earlier
today the same thing happened when it was installing. The blue screen
flashed up too quickly to read but it was there and then the computer
rebooted, just as with the updates.

This might be a clue but then again it might just be coincidence.

I've looked on lots of other sites and it seems microsoft really goofed
up on this one. Other people have had problems ranging from 2 or 3 times
longer boot times to not being able to boot at all after installing
these.

--
bobofel
bobofel's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17849

http://www.techarena.in

ibprofen01

Sep 24, 2006, 5:16:02 PM9/24/06
I too ,been having troubles with Stop error for about a week now. First one
was 0x00000050 Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area it was in Kmixer.sys
Second is Stop:0x000000FE It said BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Third is
Stop:0x000000D1 USBPORT.sys .AND even got a VISTA ERROR,I don't have
VISTA,which said that the fix was going to be in the release of it,And, this
happens online or not,and I'm just about ready to F-my drive out. I'm getting
sick and tired of this. I downloaded all of up dates and the only thing It
seem to fixed is the Kmixer.sys error. oh, forgot I even uninstalled my DVD
,and cdburner,and reinstalled them,and still getting them. I have XP Home
SP2, I'm all most ready to go to LINUXS(think that how to spell it). I never
had any problems with my computer like this(computer is almost 3yrs old).

whiskeymac

Sep 29, 2006, 10:50:57 AM9/29/06

I have been following your discourse on this subject and can report that
I have had this problem for some time, at least 2-3 months.

I have no problem downloading anything else so there must be something
special in the MS download process that is causing the problem. Like
you however, I have found that by attempting manual downloads, one at a
time, I find that the occasional one will install without fuss. So what
does this signify?!

The whole problem started when I downloaded the antivirus fix that MS
sent out. I realised that my anti virus software would render this as
surplus to requirement and so prevented further attempts to download
and install it. This seemed to do the trick, but no, I have had
problems ever since with subsequent update batches.

I have tried many of the same things as you and no others that you
might wish to hear about. Do you know if there has been any report of
this to MS? With the mounting number of people reporting this on
variou forums and, no doubt, a lot who have given up and switched off
updates, it is about time MS investigated and sorted a cure.

--
whiskeymac
whiskeymac's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=18014

Patrik

Sep 29, 2006, 3:22:31 PM9/29/06

whiskeymac skrev:

I also have this problem. Using an HP / Compaq D310. AVG antivirus.Have
tried uninstalling Intel graphics driver. Wierd thing is that I tried
lowering the hardware acceleration for the graphics card and it got
further into the installation process then before. But only the first
time. Now it doesn't matter what i do. The patch is downloaded ok, but
exactly when the patch installation process is beginning the computer
dies on me with a blue screen saying the 0x0000008e error message. Have
tried to kill all processes before installing the patches but no
difference. Getting kind of frustrated here.

Found an article from microsoft that was talking about this error
message:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251/en-us

But it's an old virus and it should be detected by our antivirus
software. A solution anyone?

Ed

Oct 1, 2006, 12:56:02 AM10/1/06
I have a Dell 4600 -- I re-installed XP Home SP2 (had to build a slip stream
version) using the "Upgrade" option since like everyone else nothing would
work. I did a major Microsoft Update and all but the same 5 installed
perfectly. And I started on the same BSOD exercise as everyone else.

So then I updated the full Creative Audigy drivers and the Nvidia drivers
piece by piece since some say that will help. Now I've managed to get all
but 922582 and the Malicous thingie to go. But all the Creative Audigy
Mixers have stopped working too. So I'm going to go re-install the Audigy
drivers AGAIN (3rd time is the charm I guess). I've also been forced to slow
the Hardware Acceleration to medium since otherwise I get the Services.exe
crash and 60 seconds to re-boot.

ALL of which has happened with these same 4-5 patches. Everything was fine
until then. Hope someone figures this out soon. I've been at this for a week
now.

MowGreen

Oct 1, 2006, 10:25:15 AM10/1/06
> But it's an old virus and it should be detected by our antivirus
> software. A solution anyone?

No, it's NOT a virus. It's RootKit. Those tend to hide themselves from
AVs. Suggest you use either Rootkit Revealer or Blacklight Beta to scan
the system.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool also includes some Haxdoor
variants in it's definitions.

If you still need assistance, post to one of these reputable
anti-malware forums after first reading the guidelines of the forum of
your choice :

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/f-130.html
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ed

Oct 1, 2006, 11:27:01 AM10/1/06
Not sure it is a rootkit -- i've run Rootkit Revealer and Blacklight --
neither work. And I've done 2 different Haxdoor removal procedures. And
I've check for Backdoor.Rustock. All done via Recovery Console.

To make matters worse, the Windows Malicious Software tool works FINE when
run directly from the website.

I did the Hal swap since I searched for all the Hal.dll's on my machine, and
I identified the SP1 version in c:\i386 and dllcache\sp1.cab; and the SP2
version in dllcache\sp2.cab. But the one in dllcache\sp2.cab was smaller and
had a later date (though the same Versioning info) than the one it
system32... It booted fine, and finally all the drivers work, but it now
shows in Device Manager both "ACPI computer" and "Standard Computer" -- and
all the downstream connections are to "Standard PC"..... nothing is ever
easy. So I'll try to remove it and let it rediscover or rename the old
hal.dll back.. But the question is why would the HAL.dll be a different size
than the one in SP2.cab (and a 2 year older modify date?).....

Oh yes, it still won't let 922582 load.....

-ed

Ed

Oct 1, 2006, 6:23:01 PM10/1/06
Ok -- I did a "repair" install from the original SP2 slipstreamed disk. Went
fine. Updated all drivers again to verify the latest and greatest. Scan the
dickens out of it. Verified the proper halmacpi.dll -> hal.dll for a P4 HT.
Reduced the HW acceleration of the Video Card. All was perfect

Started Microsoft Update -- selected the 55+ primary patches, plus a handful
of the optionals. All went fine for the first 55 patches then Stop 8E
(C0000005) style. Turned firewall on, turned firewall off... no difference.
Even tried it in VGA Mode. The last few patches all install one at a time
assuming that you never in clude either 922582 or the Windows Malicious
Software Removal tool. And neither of those will install by themselves.

I tried the whole Verifier with Windbg to get a better sense of the crash,
but that kills the machine so that it won't start with any but a STOP 0A....

This one is BAD NEWS!!!!!

-ed

MowGreen

Oct 2, 2006, 3:45:49 AM10/2/06
> Not sure it is a rootkit -- i've run Rootkit Revealer and Blacklight --
> neither work.

By saying "neither work" you mean nothing was detected ?

>> Started Microsoft Update -- selected the 55+ primary patches, plus a handful
>> of the optionals.

Did the Optional updates contain any updated drivers ? Look to drivers
as the source of the stop error.

>>> To make matters worse, the Windows Malicious Software tool works FINE when
>>> run directly from the website.

Did you check the mrt.log located in WINDOWS\debug or did the clean
bill of health show up in IE ?

KB922582 " Today we are announcing the availability of an update that
does not address a security vulnerability, but is a high priority for
customers in keeping their systems updated."

In plain English, there may be a future issue that will result in the
system not being able to update. The reason why is -

" Currently, File Server Resource Manager (FSRM) is the only known
minifilter-based application that can cause this behavior and is only
available in Windows Server 2003 R2. However, many companies are
developing minifilter-based applications that will be available in the
near future."

So, it's not Critical that this update be installed. It *may* become
Critical if you get error code 0x80070002 in the future while doing
updates and have installed minifilter-based apps.

As to why it and KB890830 will not install, check their respective
KBxxxxxx.logs located in the WINDOWS directory (folder) for error codes.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ed

Oct 2, 2006, 7:52:02 AM10/2/06
Yes -- neither showed any rootkit detected -- both completed the scan
perfectly. I also ran ewido and a-squared and so on...

No new drivers installed via WU (I know better <grin>)

Downloaded both patches and tried to install them outside of WU. The
Windows Malicious Softare tool installed and ran a full system scan with no
detections.

I ran the Windows Live OneCare online scanner and cleaned up a LOT of funny
registry entries and shared stuff -- this killed both the sound card drivers
and the nvidia display drivers. Had to re-install them both to clear up
those issues.

Then, with everything stable again, I tried the downloaded version of
KB922582 -- Stop 8E again. Rebooted into Safe Mode -- no luck there either.
There is something about that patch that is causing a LOT of trouble
everywhere -- notes found all over the web, but no one has been able to pin
down a solution or a specific cause.

I finally went into the Online WU and set that patch to be "hidden" for now.
Hopefully the next set of Auto patches will install with no problems.

-ed

MowGreen

Oct 6, 2006, 12:34:58 AM10/6/06
Ed,

Let's see which minifilters are installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582

> 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
> 2. Type fltmc.exe, and then press ENTER.

> A list of minifilters or of legacy filters and minifilters appears. The list that
> appears depends on the version of Fltmc.exe that is on the system.

I don't recommend the registry cleaner at Windows Live OneCare. There
are backups created when reg changes or "cleanups" are done. Please
consult OneCare for instructions on restoring back ups.
Also, there have been reports of Office and Windows Defender update
issues associated with the registry cleaner at Windows Live OneCare.

Patrik

Oct 6, 2006, 2:02:52 PM10/6/06
Thank you MowGreen!

I installed RootKitRevealer and it showed me 5 or 6 values which were
Null Vaules. After running Regdelnull from SysInternals and rebooting,
the pathes installed without a problem. The RootKitRevealer didn't find
any files that were strange, only thees values. Have restarted the
computer and rescanned it, but still nothing. Searching with antivirus
software once more to make sura that everything is gone.

So thanks again, nice to be fully patched! =)

Ed

Oct 7, 2006, 7:08:04 PM10/7/06
Ok -- no filters installed.

I re-ran Rootkit Revealer again (just in case) and again, nothing but a few
false positives due to System Restore and the Indexing Service.

So I'm still stumped....

Thanks,

-ed

Ed

Oct 7, 2006, 7:10:02 PM10/7/06
hmmm -- No filters installed on this system according to fltmc.exe

And a re-run of Rootkit Revealer shows nothing but a few housekeeping items
(related to System Restore and the Indexing Service)....

I'm stumped....

Thanks,

-ed

Gary

Oct 8, 2006, 8:23:02 PM10/8/06
You can add me to the list of people getting this BSOD error during Windows
Update: STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xF702FBEF,0x00000000) and would like to
know what the deal is and why won't microsoft let me open a ticket without
having to pay $$$$$.

Ed

Oct 8, 2006, 10:28:01 PM10/8/06
Gary,

Welcome to the club -- that is almost the identical error that I get (as
does Tim, and numerous others here and in forums across the web). This one
is so difficult to understand as the patch touches code that should have no
effect on the failure modes (driver related access violations) everyone is
seeing. I'm even more mystified that with all the errors reported, MS has
not yet been able to reproduce it and provide a solution.

MowGreen

Oct 9, 2006, 2:19:46 AM10/9/06
At least Patrick got the updates installed

And, I've lost track of who's issue is whose. Or whom's issue is
what's ?
I hope everyone who's experiencing this issue has contacted MS. The more
data they can gather the faster the fix can be released.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen

Oct 9, 2006, 2:27:50 AM10/9/06
Gary,

Did you contact them by email and they wanted to charge you ?
Was XP installed by the computer's manufacturer or by you from a retail CD ?

> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft
> Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls
> that are associated with security updates.

The above is from the latest Security Bulletin -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-055.mspx

If you're in the US or Canada then call that number and read them that
specific section and give the URL. Give them the KB number of the
SECURITY updates that will not install. Do NOT even mention any other ones.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ed

Oct 9, 2006, 6:33:01 AM10/9/06
MowGreen,

I appreciate your help - but the MS "line" is that it is an OEM install and
they have no responsibility for it. I've sent in what I can but ????? And
while it is a security patch, the OEM supercedes that apparently. And at
this point, I've sent the client their computer back and they will let me
know if the next batch autoupdates.

-ed

Gary

Oct 9, 2006, 6:43:02 AM10/9/06
I went to the support site, and because my XP is oem from dell, they think I
should contact dell. I saw no free options.

On a separate note, I don't know if this is something new or if I've just
never noticed it before but when my XP boots up, I see a burst of internet
activity (lights on my dsl modem and router) for a good few seconds and then
it stops. I booted up with my cable unplugged and once I plugged it back it,
I got that same burst. Is Microsoft doing some sort of validation?

Gary

Oct 9, 2006, 6:44:02 AM10/9/06
My XP is OEM on a Dell box so I saw no free options.

fjclough

Oct 9, 2006, 2:13:02 PM10/9/06
I've been having this problem for a month or so. it began after I discovered
a piece of malware called smitfraud on the system. It's actually gotten
worse over time. at first it just BSOD'd during windows update, now it
actually BSODs with the exact same error message half an hour after start up
like clockwork. Have tried everything short of reinstalling windows. That's
the next step I guess.

MowGreen

Oct 9, 2006, 11:59:05 PM10/9/06

MowGreen [MVP]

Oct 10, 2006, 12:41:50 PM10/10/06
Ed and Gary,

Since the Security Bulletin states that support is free for installing
Critical Security updates, I thought that it meant what it said.
If I were you, I would *insist* that since the Sec Bulletin is worded
that way, that they should live up to what is on that specific web page.

If you'd like, I can contact PSS and get a straight answer. This is an
intolerable situation.
Please let me know and I'll get the ball rolling. ;)

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MCRTECH

Oct 13, 2006, 1:03:01 PM10/13/06
I had the same problem on dell computer. I found that i was unable to
extract the windows update ref KB922582 on this computer without the blue
screen that you have been getting. I extracted to a computer that didn't
have the problem using KB artical 262841(
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262841/en-us ) KBArticleNumber
/X:C:\ExtractedPackage. I then copied the extracted files back to the dell
and ran update.exe in the update folder of the extracted file with success.
The only thing I don't know yet is why the files wouldn't extract to it's
temp dir without a blue screen. maybe DLA ?

"sanct...@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to diagnose a serious and frustrating problem all
> weekend.
>

> My Dell Inspiron 9400 Windows XP SP2 crashes out to a BSOD with a stop
> error code of 0x0000008E (0xC0000005...) everytime I try to install
> updates using
> Windows Update.
>
> I've had to disable automatic updates to stop it from happening
> everytime I boot up.
>
> I tried System restore, Dell diagnostics scans on the hardware,
> reducing hardware acceleration, virus scans + more..
>
> I've also updated my BIOS, video driver and the HD has many gigs of
> free space.
>
> It even happens in safe mode if I try to install updates manually
> downloaded from the Windows Update site.
>
> I really want to try to repair the OS but Dell don't supply the OS CD
> with their machines anymore.
>
> I can't find a single relavent article in the Windows KB for the
> particular stop error code caused my Windows Update.
>
> I've already investigated the 'traditional' reasons for an 8E error
> code.
>
> If its a driver problem then how can System Restore and Safe Mode fail
> to work? I tried restoring to a point many weeks ago and it still
> crashes out. it used to work fine then.
> This, coupled with a clean diagnostics run of the hardware make no
> sense at all.
>
> There were 5 pending Windows Updates. 1 of them DID install
> succesfully. I rebooted and tried one of the other 4 and it BSOD'd.
> these other 4 updates just don't want to be installed even if I try to
> download them from the Windows update site and run them manually. It
> just crashes again.
>
> This person also is suffering the same issue and it occured the same
> time as me:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/2e1bcdaffd0a71bf/7f90029ffe31cd67#7f90029ffe31cd67
>
> Could it be a Windows Update problem??
> What is going on?!
> Please help..
>

> Thanks,
> sanc

Tobus

Oct 13, 2006, 9:07:27 PM10/13/06

I am able to confirm this on my machine (XP SP2). I downloaded and
extracted the .exe (with /X option) on another machine, copied the
extracted folder over to the problem machine and ran the update.exe
manually. It installed without the STOP error.

It would seem that the error is occurring in the extract process, not
in the install...
Toby

PS: Just in case you're reading this and don't have another machine you
can do the extract on, I have zipped the extracted files 'here'
(http://grapevine.net.au/~tobus/KB922582.zip). Be sure to have "Use
Folder Names" checked when you unzip to keep the same directory
structure.

MCRTECH Wrote:
> I had the same problem on dell computer. I found that i was unable to
> extract the windows update ref KB922582 on this computer without the
> blue
> screen that you have been getting. I extracted to a computer that
> didn't
> have the problem using KB artical 262841(
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262841/en-us ) KBArticleNumber
> /X:C:\ExtractedPackage. I then copied the extracted files back to the
> dell
> and ran update.exe in the update folder of the extracted file with
> success.
> The only thing I don't know yet is why the files wouldn't extract to
> it's
> temp dir without a blue screen. maybe DLA ?

--
Tobus
Tobus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=18348

Gary

Oct 18, 2006, 5:13:02 PM10/18/06
I did this and got past the BSOD. The only thing now is that two of the
fixes are marked failed and won't install - 925486 & 922819.

Flex

Nov 13, 2006, 7:37:23 PM11/13/06

I FIXED IT !!!! MANY THANKS!!!!

My pc was also affected by the same STOP message and BSOD whenever i
went to perform Automatic Updates or tried to install the new Windows
Media Player 11 Beta 2 download or any manually downloaded updates
(they must use a similar install method when extracting files)

HOW DID I FIX IT YOU ASK?.....

I used the 'F-Secure Backlight' (http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/)
application suggested in an earlier post by MowGreen and got the
following error:

------------------------
F-Secure Backlight could not acquire necessary privileges
(SeDebugPriviledge)

-Your computer settings may prevent acquiring these privileges.
-A malicious program might have diabled these privileges.
------------------------

I looked up this error and found a tool called "'Look2Me Destroyer'
(http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=7)" which destroys this
spyware and also resets the SeDebugPriviledge setting.

My pc had previously been infected with Spyware which i removed using
the Smitfraudfix and Adaware etc. This was odviously something that had
not been fixed from the previous attack.

Sure enough after the reboot i checked the log file of the destroyer
utility and was given the following results:

--------------------------------------
Look2Me-Destroyer V1.0.12

Scanning for infected files.....
Scan started at 13/11/2006 23:30:01

Infected! C:\WINDOWS\system32\j42qlef51h2.dll

Attempting to delete infected files...

Making registry repairs.

Removing: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\ThemeManager

Removing: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
Extensions\Approved "{1F43D3C2-CB0A-4659-AFD9-8645B42597C0}"
HKCR\Clsid\{1F43D3C2-CB0A-4659-AFD9-8645B42597C0}

Removing: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
Extensions\Approved "{B6EAECB3-FD81-4F38-9CA8-0A13EB3E233F}"
HKCR\Clsid\{B6EAECB3-FD81-4F38-9CA8-0A13EB3E233F}

Restoring Windows certificates.

Replaced hosts file with default windows hosts file

RESTORING SEDEBUGPRIVILEGE FOR ADMINISTRATORS - SUCCEEDED
--------------------------------------

Sure enough i then tried the Automatic Updates which succeeded without
any BSOD!!! The Windows Media Player 11 also installed as well. My pc
has since been running for over and hour and has performed more updates
without any issues.

I was so happy i though i would share my results here with this forum
and registered myself.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction and i hope this
fix also works for you.

Thanks!!!!

Flex

UPDATE: Please read my next post for instructions on how to run the
Look2me-Destroyer!!

--
Flex
Flex's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19166

sanctifyer

Dec 1, 2006, 8:02:34 PM12/1/06
I tried your proposed solution and it still doesn't resolve my issue as
described in the first post. The BSOD is still there.

Still at Square 1.

sanc