Blue Screen Death when applying Microsoft updates

RichM

Sep 16, 2006, 1:27:01 AM9/16/06
Every time I install the latest set of updates, the system crashes and I get
the blue screen the message varies, but two of them are detailed below:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF3A648B7, 0xED813A20, 0x00000000)
and
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF6C9C928, 0xF5624A20, 0x00000000)

The microsoft error reporting tells me it's a video adapter problem, but
even with that disabled I get the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RichM

Will Denny

Sep 16, 2006, 2:46:09 AM9/16/06
Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
(8E)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"RichM" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

RichM

Sep 16, 2006, 2:19:01 PM9/16/06
Thanks for that Will, Looks a bit complicated to me, but I'll give it a go.

I've narrowed it down to one update that is causing the problem, but I
haven't noted which one it is yet!!!

hanks again.

RichM

Will Denny

Sep 16, 2006, 2:33:44 PM9/16/06
Hi

If you can narrow the problem down - you may like to check with the Windows
Update News Group:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"RichM" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

sanct...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2006, 1:40:13 PM9/18/06
I get this exact same problem. It started this weekend with my Dell
Insprion 9400.
If I try and install any windows updates, it crashes out with a stop
error of 0x0000008E (0xC0000005...)

System restore, BIOS updates, video driver updates, virus scans all do
NOTHING to solve the problem.

sanc

sanctifyer

Sep 18, 2006, 1:54:16 PM9/18/06
PS. here is my thread of this issue:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/e9414c542e3f44b5/0696541427f5e031#0696541427f5e031

isn't it eery that we both go this same problem on Saturday? Is this a
Windows Update problem??

sanc

Will Denny

Sep 18, 2006, 3:34:57 PM9/18/06
Hi

You've been through ***all*** the possible solutions?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

<sanct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sanctifyer

Sep 18, 2006, 3:52:14 PM9/18/06
I emailed Dell Tech support and receieved a link to a series of steps
used by the Technical support team themselves for resolving 8E stop
errors.

There were about 10-15 individual methods of trying to
diagnose/resolve/isolate the issue including running a lengthy Dell
diagnostics tool to check the hardware and in particular, the RAM.. all
were unsuccesful in resolving the issue and all diagnostic tests
passed. The final option was to use the Dell bundled symantec PC
restore which would re-image my drive to when it was first shipped.
This is what I am trying to avoid because I am not certain that it will
fix the issue.

The most worrying thing about all this is that using Windows system
restore to go back 2 weeks doesn't solve the problem. so this would
rule out any problems with my software/drivers apart from the OS
itself, wouldn't it?

sanc

sanctifyer

Sep 18, 2006, 3:56:34 PM9/18/06
Also, if one of the updates installs just fine and the other 4 don't,
even in safe mode, this would tempt me to point my finger at those
particular updates rather than my machine..
The updates are just typical security updates and tweaks. Can't
remember exactly what they are as I'm at work at the mo..

sanc

RichM

Sep 20, 2006, 12:48:01 AM9/20/06
I've narrowed it down to windows update ref: KB922582.

I've managed to install all other updates, but that on gives me the problem.

Any more ideas.

Thanks for your help so far.

RichM

sanctifyer

Sep 21, 2006, 6:35:09 AM9/21/06
I get the problem with that one as well.
Plus:

KB919007
KB920685
KB890830

sanc

cisco....@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2006, 6:06:55 PM9/25/06
I'm getting the same problem and have tried every fix. I'm also
occassionally getting the BSoD randomly without running windows update.
I have been able to install updates from safe mode, but that is an
enormous hassle to save every update to disk, log off, log on safe
mode, then run the exe of the update. I've noticed that during a
normal shutdown I'm also getting an error message, but it happens at
the last possible second before shutdown and is on the screen for less
than a second so I can't determine what type of error it is. I had a
pretty nasty malware infestation a few weeks ago. All the scanners say
the malware's gone but getting rid of it seems to have made my system
unstable.

BnA

Sep 27, 2006, 5:04:17 PM9/27/06

RichM Wrote:
> I've narrowed it down to windows update ref: KB922582.
>
> I've managed to install all other updates, but that on gives me the
> problem.
>
> Any more ideas.
>
> Thanks for your help so far.

I have the exact same problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 With XP SP2
that was blue-screening on the user after start up. I soon found out
that it was happening when Windows Update was trying to run
automatically and install a few updates.

I manually installed them one by one and like you, I have narrowed it
down to KB922582.

I have tried downloading the Update and installing it in Safe mode with
the same result.

I wouldn't worry about it really except that the Machine now comes up
with a "Services.exe has terminated...." message and the machine shuts
down in 60 seconds. There is no great pattern as to when this happens
but the machine rarely stays up for more than 15 minutes without
crashing.

I don't know if the two problems are related.

--
BnA
BnA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17973

http://www.techarena.in

sanctifyer

Sep 28, 2006, 8:10:07 PM9/28/06
BnA,

You have some striking similarities to my situation.

I finally got a response back from dell and they straight away asked me
to send the laptop in for repairs. They DHLd a box to my home for
packing it, telling me to remove the HD and follow the instructions
inside the box, then call the DHL number for pick up.

I dont know if they are aware that it might be just a software problem,
but it could be hardware I guess. I'm going to go through with it and
see what happens.

sanc

elpi...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2006, 6:24:12 AM9/30/06
Fault looked to be something to do with registry debug priveledges?
Here is how I fixed it:

1. Booted to recovery console from an XP CD and backed up the System
and Security Hives in C:\Windows\System32\Config (NOTE: May be worth
trying the System hive on its own first as the Security hive alone did
not fix it for me)

2. Copied over the original system backups of the registry hives from
C:\Windows\Repair

3. Re-installed Service Pack 2 (SP2) on the system just in case.

4. Now successfully installed all post-SP2 Windows patches, and there
seems to be no ill effects to the system!

Message has been deleted

sanctifyer

Oct 23, 2006, 8:47:03 AM10/23/06

OK I got the machine back from Dell a few weeks ago and it still
happens.( They replaced the motherboard.) I also tried a Windows Repair
but still a problem.

I guess I have two options.
1) ignore those 4 updates
2) Try a PC restore to set my hardrive back to the factory state.

I think I'll stick with 1).

sanc