KFAPVD2

Mz. Manduley

Feb 24, 2011, 5:37:38 PM2/24/11
to KinkForAll
Hey everyone!

Get excited--there's going to be another KinkForAll in Providence this
March (Saturday the 19th, to be precise).

I'm going to be one of the unorganizers again, and our community
liaision/unorganizer will be xMech (xmechbeyondATgmailDOTcom).

The group sponsoring it will be SHEEC--the Sexual Health Education &
Empowerment Council at Brown University. Our group has grown quite a
bit, so we'll have way more support and help during the planning
process, which is excellent! This event will be one of the finale
events for Sex Week (which you can check out at
http://brownsheec.wordpress.com/sex-week/sex-week-2011).

Anyway, there aren't many more details to share at the moment. I've
put in a request for rooms, and will be updating y'all on what the
situation is shortly! For now, stay tuned to our wiki:
http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/w/page/36686528/KinkForAll-Providence-2
(and feel free to start signing up).

- Aida

Sara Eileen

Feb 24, 2011, 5:41:39 PM2/24/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo!

Aida, that's fantastic! Thanks to you and xMech for spearheading.

I'll be there. When you find out, can you share specific location details, so maybe we can whip up a quick flyer?

Excited,
Sara

Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

maymay

Feb 24, 2011, 6:26:35 PM2/24/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 24, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Sara Eileen wrote:

> Woohoo!
>
> Aida, that's fantastic! Thanks to you and xMech for spearheading.
>
> I'll be there. When you find out, can you share specific location details, so maybe we can whip up a quick flyer?
>
> Excited,
> Sara

Seconded on all counts. You guys in Providence are freakin' rockstars, I tell ya. :)

I'll see you then!

Aida, let me know if you want access to the "official" (what a silly word that is in this context…) KinkForAll accounts on any of the social media sites. If not, no worries—I know you probably don't need MORE accounts to manage—so I'll just retweet/link to your stuff a bunch from 'em all.

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

Mz. Manduley

Feb 25, 2011, 1:26:42 PM2/25/11
to KinkForAll
Ok, got rooms from 10AM to 6pm. We're thinking of starting at 11AM,
though, since the night before = one of the Queer Alliance's 2 annual
parties at Brown and people are probably not going to be up for 10AM.
Thoughts?

We've reserved the entire first and second floor so people don't
accidentally walk in and so rooms nearby aren't reserved for other
purposes that might awkwardly conflict with our event. Here's a list
of the rooms & their capacities:

Formal Name:
Smith Buonanno 101
Max Capacity:
35

Formal Name:
Smith Buonanno 106
Max Capacity:
128

Formal Name:
Smith Buonanno 201
Max Capacity:
48

Formal Name:
Smith Buonanno 206
Max Capacity:
29

Formal Name:
Smith Buonanno 207
Max Capacity:
20

I was thinking of having 106 be the room for the livestream, since it
has tiered seating, a nice projector, and it's the biggest room we
have. Still have to reserve the media, so maybe 101, 106, and 201
could have projecting/sound capabilities and the rest of the rooms
would just be standard.

Speaking of which, can anyone help out with making that livestream
possible. May--could we enlist you on this task?

I've also updated the wiki with the lastest info, so stay tuned to
that :)

- Aida

maymay

Feb 25, 2011, 7:14:58 PM2/25/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 25, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Mz. Manduley wrote:

> Ok, got rooms from 10AM to 6pm. We're thinking of starting at 11AM,
> though, since the night before = one of the Queer Alliance's 2 annual
> parties at Brown and people are probably not going to be up for 10AM.
> Thoughts?

Makes sense to me. Also remember that, judging from past experience, closing out the day with some time to clean up at the end has been important. So if you've got the rooms from 10 AM to 6 PM, maybe the actual event times should be 11 AM to 5:40 PM (which gives you 5:40 PM to 6 PM for cleanup)?

> We've reserved the entire first and second floor so people don't
> accidentally walk in and so rooms nearby aren't reserved for other
> purposes that might awkwardly conflict with our event.

Wow, smart thinking. Good call!

> I was thinking of having 106 be the room for the livestream, since it
> has tiered seating, a nice projector, and it's the biggest room we
> have. Still have to reserve the media, so maybe 101, 106, and 201
> could have projecting/sound capabilities and the rest of the rooms
> would just be standard.
>
> Speaking of which, can anyone help out with making that livestream
> possible. May--could we enlist you on this task?

Consider it done. I've added my equipment to the inventory list.[0]

> I've also updated the wiki with the lastest info, so stay tuned to
> that :)
>
> - Aida

Ping the list again when the final locations/timing are up on the wiki and finalized so I can go in and add the machine-readable metadata to the pages that powers our KinkForAll calendar feed?[1] Thanks!

Lookit us go! Zoom zoom.

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/w/page-revisions/compare/36729891/KinkForAllProvidence2Inventory?rev2=1298679211&rev1=1298673621
[1] http://h2vx.com/ics/kinkforall.pbworks.com/

Mz. Manduley

Feb 27, 2011, 2:02:28 PM2/27/11
to KinkForAll
I'd rather go until 5pm with presentations, since there's another
event for Sex Week at 5:30 that I have to attend, so I'm budgeting in
5-5:30 for cleanup :)

So final time: 10:30AM to 5:30PM (the first half hour will be for
setup; the last half hour will be for breakdown/cleanup) -- May &
Liam, please adjust on Fetlife/FB and other sites accordingly, please?

And hurrah for livestream! :D

TASKS (can anyone help out with these?)
- Make some posters (full-length/standard as well as the ones with the
tear-away slips at the bottom)
- Make an event on Twitvite

Please invite your friends and everyone you think might want to
attend!

- Aida
> [0]http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/w/page-revisions/compare/36729891/KinkF...
> [1]http://h2vx.com/ics/kinkforall.pbworks.com/

maymay

Feb 27, 2011, 3:55:19 PM2/27/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 27, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Mz. Manduley wrote:

> I'd rather go until 5pm with presentations, since there's another
> event for Sex Week at 5:30 that I have to attend, so I'm budgeting in
> 5-5:30 for cleanup :)
>
> So final time: 10:30AM to 5:30PM (the first half hour will be for
> setup; the last half hour will be for breakdown/cleanup) -- May &
> Liam, please adjust on Fetlife/FB and other sites accordingly, please?

Done for Facebook, although FYI, you're an admin of the event, too. :)

Also, Liam, it'd be good to include text that reminds folks to sign up on the wiki as well as RSVP'ing on FetLife on the invitation there. Maybe something to the effect of "Please check out the KFAPVD2 wiki for more information and to complete registration!"?

Mech Merc

Mar 4, 2011, 11:19:30 PM3/4/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
KFAPVD2 has flyers! (Also, if you feel the urge to either edit or make more, please please do so...)

One is black and white and has the tear away strips at the bottom, the other is in color and uses the awesome logos. ^_^

-xMech

KFAPVD2poster.pdf
kfapvd2tearaway.pdf

maymay

Mar 5, 2011, 12:27:51 AM3/5/11
to KinkForAll
On Mar 4, 8:19 pm, Mech Merc <xmechbey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> KFAPVD2 has flyers! (Also, if you feel the urge to either edit or make more,
> please please do so...)
>
> One is black and white and has the tear away strips at the bottom, the other
> is in color and uses the awesome logos. ^_^
>
> -xMech

These look awesome, thanks xMech. However, you've listed the dates in
these flyers as March 10, a Thursday. KinkForAll Providence 2 is
planned for March 19, a Saturday.[0] Can you correct the error and re-
upload?

Thanks!

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/KinkForAll-Providence-2

maymay

Mar 5, 2011, 1:24:54 AM3/5/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Ack! I looked more closely at the flyers you produced, xMech,[0] but I found a few more errors.

I tried fixing them all myself but it appears I don't have the right fonts (or something?!) installed and as a result the corrections I tried to make resulted in formatting problems on the tear-off flyer. I was able to correct the issues on the color poster, so I've attached that one to this email.

Since we still have some time, if you can correct these issues on the tear-off flyer quickly it'll be fine, so I'll also enumerate what needs changing:

* Change all instances of "March 10" to "March 19". On the tear-off flyer, this includes the actual tear-off labels themselves.
* Since URLs are case-sensitive, change the URL for the wiki homepage from http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/kinkforall-providence-2 (which is all lowercase) to http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAll-Providence-2 (which is correctly capitalized)
** Optionally, shorten that URL to our own domain, which redirects: http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/KinkForAll-Providence-2

Thanks so much!

Cheers,

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] https://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/ab6c75a03d126d9d#msg_56dcd8b456e4658f

KFAPVD2poster.pdf

Mech Merc

Mar 5, 2011, 6:11:37 AM3/5/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Alright, fixed both the URLs and the ridiculous date mistake I made due to having made a few too many posters in the last week.

-xMech

kfapvd2tearaway.pdf
KFAPVD2poster.pdf

maymay

Mar 5, 2011, 6:49:03 AM3/5/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:11 AM, Mech Merc wrote:

Alright, fixed both the URLs and the ridiculous date mistake I made due to having made a few too many posters in the last week.

-xMech

Awesome; thanks for the quick turn-around xMech.

Unfortunately, these new flyers still contain an error: the link to the KinkForAll Providence 2 website is incorrect.

The correct link, if using the KinkForAll.org domain redirection, contains the "wiki" subdomain, as written in my prior email to the list.[0] It looks like this:

In the flyers you just sent,[1] the URL reads like this:

This won't work--it'll return a "404 Not Found" error (which is expected behavior from that URL).

Instead, use either the first one (with "wiki.KinkForAll.org" as the domain name) or use the PBWorks domain:

Sorry to have you re-do the flyers again, xMech, but they won't actually direct people smoothly this way. Apologies if I was less clear than I could have been in pointing out the errors before.

Thanks!

Cheers,
-maymay

Mech Merc

Mar 5, 2011, 10:16:41 AM3/5/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Ok, hopefully this works!

-xMech

--
KFAPVD2poster.pdf
kfapvd2tearaway.pdf

maymay

Mar 5, 2011, 10:21:00 AM3/5/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 5, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Mech Merc wrote:

> Ok, hopefully this works!
>
> -xMech

Third time's the charm? :) Looks good to me! Great work, xMech!!

Only Imagined

Mar 7, 2011, 11:20:30 AM3/7/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I gave a few talks at the Association of Women in Psychology conference this past weekend. I went to a structured discussion session and ended up singing Kink for All's praises in front of a room full of people looking to improve sex education on their campuses.

I think I have a bunch of rocking feminist graduate students and professors who want to create Kink For Alls on their own campuses. The ball is currently in their court - they are supposed to email me to get connected.

I have the website, of course: http://kinkforall.org/
And I see the Lead heading on the website, that has resources to get people started. I think, however, that a few of the people I spoke to might want a little more hand-holding. In particular, I think the wiki format might be harder for some of the later-adopter older faculty members and students.

Request: Could I connect these folks with someone in particular to ease them in? Would someone be willing to help them/me out?

Thanks so much,
Only

Sara Eileen

Mar 7, 2011, 11:35:53 AM3/7/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com, Only Imagined
Hey Only,

That is awesome! Really wonderful!

The resources online are very, very extensive, so I would encourage you to point people at pages like this one:

http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/w/page/11154923/OrganizeALocalKinkForAll

That said, easing in and talking to friendly faces is a good idea. I'm happy to talk to people if you'd like to pass my contact details along.

Also, if any of them are in the area, I'd encourage them to attend KinkForAll Providence 2 in a couple of weeks, or to follow along with the livestream, if we'll have one. Actually seeing a KinkForAll in action can be really helpful for people who haven't been to one of the events.

Cheers,
Sara

maymay

Mar 7, 2011, 12:21:30 PM3/7/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com, Only Imagined
Hey Only,

I'll second everything Sara said and I'll also, naturally, throw my hat into the "contact me if you like" ring.

Historically, the smoothest KinkForAlls have happened when a participant who was at a previous event puts on a new one. The "ideal" process looks like something like this:

1. Get interested -> 2. Attend event -> 3. Possibly lead session(s) -> 4. Organize whole new event

Obviously, steps 2 and 3 sometimes recur numerous times before step 4.

I would also encourage anyone interested (in the "get interested") phase to watch as many of the KinkForAll videos as they find worthwhile. Here's a bunch:

http://vimeo.com/groups/kinkforall

(Other videos are on YouTube and scattered elsewhere; you can use Google to find more.)[0]

Finally, I'll also encourage you to nudge people towards this very mailing list. Lurking here for a while is a zero-obligation thing that also offers a good way to get a handle on how an event is organized.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in (un)organizing more KinkForAll unconferences.

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://www.google.com/search?q=kinkforall&tbm=vid

Mz. Manduley

Mar 8, 2011, 10:03:59 AM3/8/11
to KinkForAll
What they said :)

I'm one of the Providence KFA unorganizers (did it last year and we're
holding it again on 3/19) and I'd love to be of help. I became
interested after attending KFA Boston and the rest is history!
:)

- Aida