DV - 20NOV10 - 0818 :: Ipomoea ¿ arachnosperma ?

Dinesh Valke

Nov 21, 2010, 3:37:40 AM11/21/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Herbaceous climber growing wild at Yeoor Hills, about 71 m asl seen on 20NOV10, about 8AM
Please validate whether Ipomoea arachnosperma.

Regards.
P1280898.jpg
P1280890.jpg
P1280895.jpg
P1280896.jpg

Parjanya guru

Nov 23, 2010, 7:08:22 AM11/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

Nice pictures Dinesh jee..!!!
.. By the way, I hope the term-  ARACHNOSPERMA  reffers to the Stamens, resembling a spider.....I hope so....
Is it the case here.??
........A  curios mind's question.. ha..

  Parjanya Guru
 +919738723392

Dinesh Valke

Nov 23, 2010, 9:11:10 AM11/23/10
to Parjanya guru, efloraofindia
... correct you are Parjanya ji, ... couple of days back, even Prashant (Awale) also doubted this to be Ipomoea arachnosperma.
Thus, it must be Ipomoea nil ... many thanks to both of you !!!

Regards.

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 25, 2010, 1:10:19 AM11/25/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 23, 9:11 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... correct you are Parjanya ji, ... couple of days back, even Prashant
> (Awale) also doubted this to be *Ipomoea arachnosperma*.
> Thus, it must be *Ipomoea nil* ... many thanks to both of you !!!
>
> Regards.
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Parjanya guru <gurooji1...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Nice pictures Dinesh jee..!!!
> > .. By the way, I hope the term-  ARACHNOSPERMA  reffers to the Stamens,
> > resembling a spider.....I hope so....
> > Is it the case here.??
> > ........A  curios mind's question.. ha..
>
> >   Parjanya Guru
> >  +919738723392

Hello,

I agree Ipomoea nil based on all features especially the sepals

regards,

Ron

P.S. - Some of the wild strains of Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea hederacea
can be extremely difficult to differentiate despite anything posted in
any keys or papers anywhere..

Dinesh Valke

Nov 25, 2010, 3:28:23 AM11/25/10
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Many thanks Ron for the confirmation.
Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 25, 2010, 2:33:53 PM11/25/10
to Dinesh Valke, Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Ipomoea nil (L.) Roth Catalecta Botanica fasc. 1 1797
Syn: Convolvulus nil L. Sp. Pl., ed. 2. 1: 219. 1762

Type: Lectotype = "Convolvulus caeruleus, hederaceo folio, magis
anguloso" in Dillenius, Hort. Eltham., 1: 96, t. 80, f. 91, 1732

For interesting reading check the attachment:

George Staples and Charles E. Jarvis. 2006. Typification of Linnaean
Plant Names in Convolvulaceae. Taxon 55 (4): 1019-1024.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate