Cersatium fontanum var. triviale from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 10:53:06 PM7/28/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Cersatium fontanum var. triviale from Kashmir, differeing from C. glomeratum in larger petals, lax inflorescence and longer pedicels. Photographed from Nishat garden on June 17, 2010

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-b.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-c.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 29, 2010, 12:54:09 AM7/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Lovely catch catch nice to see the difference between two species.
Kindly read it as
Cerastium fontanum Baumg. var triviale (Link) Jalas (nullify the typo error in the passage)

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 29, 2010, 3:57:25 AM7/29/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thanks Tanay for adding "a" to correct my typo error. I love you for such critical eye.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Aug 1, 2010, 2:35:37 PM8/1/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
This one doesn't look like Cerastium fontanum subsp. triviale to
me, which is now treated synonymous with Cerastium fontanum subsp.
vulgare. Petals are supposed to be shorted than sepals in that
species. However, in your flower the petals are distinctly longer than
the sepals.
To me it looks like Cerastium dahuricum (alternate spelling
Cerastium davuricum), with notched petals longer than sepals and stem-
clasping leaves
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=39189&flora_id=2
Your comments?
Best wishes
- Tabish
>  Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-a.jpg
> 110KViewDownload
>
>  Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-b.jpg
> 108KViewDownload
>
>  Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-c.jpg
> 117KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2010, 9:56:41 PM8/1/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish ji
Thanks for pointing out the petals length. It, however, does not look like C. davuricum in which the plants are much taller, leaves much broader at base (ovate) and clasping.

 My plant may be C. fontanum var. grandiflorum perhaps, the leaves are clearly elliptic-lanceolate. Let us continue the search.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Sep 17, 2010, 3:58:37 AM9/17/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1360 members & 47,000 messages on 10/9/10)

Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-b.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-c.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 15, 2010, 8:26:58 PM10/15/10
to J.M. Garg, Flowers of India, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish
After further scrutiny I have come to the conclusion that my plant identifies better with C. fontanum on account of two things:
The petals are longer than sepals
capsule is much longer than fruiting calyx

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

Jun 13, 2021, 12:14:24 PM6/13/21
to GurcharanSingh, efloraofindia, Tabish
I think it will be Cerastium glomeratum as per discussions at Confusion between Cerastium fontanum subsp. vulgare and Cerastium glomeratum and Id request for this species of Arenaria

Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-b.jpg
Cerastium-fontanum-triviale-Kashmir-c.jpg

Tabish

Jun 14, 2021, 6:27:16 AM6/14/21
to efloraofindia
In fact, now Cerastium fontanum subsp. triviale (E.H.L.Krause) Jalas is considered a synonym of Cerastium glomeratum Thuill.
    Tabish

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 14, 2021, 12:20:14 PM6/14/21
to efloraindia