Id request for this species of Arenaria .

Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist)

May 18, 2021, 1:18:35 PM5/18/21
to efloraofindia
Please have look on these small incision on petals.
Location pampore jammu and kashmir
Screenshot_2021-05-18-22-45-23-557_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-18-22-45-31-358_com.whatsapp.jpg

Mahadeswara

May 18, 2021, 10:51:00 PM5/18/21
to efloraofindia
It is better to post  habit pictures , foliage etc. for proper ID.   such cropped images may some times mislead the identification process.

J.M. Garg

May 27, 2021, 2:25:42 AM5/27/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com
Hi, Shakir ji,
Pl. post a habit image.
To me styles appear to be 5.
It is not Arenaria, as it has 3 styles.
To me it appears to be Cerastium, which has 3 or 5 styles.

I checked in comparative images at Cerastium and species listed in Flora of Pakistan with keys and Checklist of Nepal, but could not find a match.
What are the species listed in your area?

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 22:48, Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist) <saadiks...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please have look on these small incision on petals.
Location pampore jammu and kashmir

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 27, 2021, 4:27:05 AM5/27/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com
Thanks. I need list of species reported in your area or in J and K.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

May 27, 2021, 5:19:48 AM5/27/21
to Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), efloraofindia
No, It is not Arenaria.
I am asking about Cerastium.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Thu, 27 May, 2021, 2:04 pm Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), <saadiks...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have areneria  serpylifolia and A.kashmirica

J.M. Garg

May 27, 2021, 6:05:46 AM5/27/21
to Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), efloraofindia
Ok, Shakir ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Thu, 27 May, 2021, 3:17 pm Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), <saadiks...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have 3 sp. Of Cerastium here.
C.davuricum.
C.cerastoides.
C.fontanum.

J.M. Garg

Jun 2, 2021, 7:54:32 AM6/2/21
to Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), efloraofindia
Does not match with either of the three as per comparative images at Cerastium
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 2, 2021, 8:06:47 AM6/2/21
to Shakir ahmad (Ammatuer Taxonomist), efloraofindia
Also could not find a match with any species as per Flora of Pakistan.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2021, 3:24:42 AM6/6/21
to efloraofindia
Surely Cerastium, bifid petals and 5 styles, more pictures would help but lax flowers and petals shorter than sepals suggest C. fontanum

Shakir Ahmad (Amateur Taxonomist)

Jun 6, 2021, 3:50:24 AM6/6/21
to efloraofindia
Yes it resembles with C. fontanum...

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2021, 7:23:12 AM6/13/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh
Taxonomy of Cerastium fontanum looks quite complex.
Also no habit and lower portion image, makes the task further difficult.
Cerastium fontanum does not have distribution in our area as per POWO and CoL and also looks different as per GBIF specimens.
Two subspecies can be expected as per FoP and CoN
Cerastium fontanum subsp. triviale (Link) Jalas (syn. of Cerastium glomeratum as per POWO) looks different as per GBIF specimens
Cerastium fontanum subsp. grandiflorum H. Hara appears somewhat close as per POWO, GBIF specimens- one, two, three, but has only distribution in Nepal as per CoN and POWO and CoL. But it appears close to your area as per distribution in POWO.
But I am still not sure.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2021, 8:29:55 AM6/13/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh
On further consideration, it appears close to Cerastium holosteoides as per POWO (syn: Cerastium fontanum subsp. vulgare (Hartman) Greuter & Burdet of Flora of China)
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2021, 11:43:06 AM6/13/21
to efloraofindia

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Jun 15, 2021, 7:51:17 AM6/15/21
to efloraofindia
Yes it is what we have been treating as C. fontanum (var. triviale), it is our choice whether we want to follow POWO and call it C. glomeratum or follow WFO and call it Cerastium fontanum subsp. vulgare.
It is high time we decide and put boldly on our website which Database we are following. We can't tell the World that we are following different databases for different plants, which one for this particular taxon?