Malvaceae week :: Kavalama urens (syn. Sterculia urens)

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 9:31:16 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Kavalama urens (Roxb.) Raf.
  • ka-VAL-um -- from the Tamil name காவலம் kavalam for some of the species of Sterculia
    UR-ens -- stinging

Kawali (Marathi: कावळी)
Feb 2, 2008 at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary

commonly known as: bassora tragacanth, ghost tree, Indian tragacanth, karaya tree • Assamese: odla • Gujarati: કડાયો kadaayo, કોગડોલ kogdol • Hindi: गुलु gulu, कराया karaya, कतीरा katira, कुलु kulu • Kannada: kempudale, pinari • Konkani: पांडरूख pandrukh • Malayalam: അണ്ണാന്‍വഴുക്കി annaanvazhukki, തീത്തൊണ്ടി thiiththonti, തൊണ്ടി thonti • Marathi: कांडोळ kandol, कावळी kawali • Oriya: gudalo • Rajasthani: katila • Tamil: குதிரைப்பிடுக்கன் kutiraippitukkan, செந்தணக்கு centanakku, வெல்லை பூத்தாளி vellai-puthali • Telugu: తపసి ట్టు tapasi chettu

Native of: India

Regards.
Dinesh

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 12:11:08 PM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice Pics Dinesh Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

H S

Sep 9, 2011, 12:20:49 AM9/9/11
to Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
very strange... Adansons' earlier name Cavalam is rejected and Rafin. later name Kavalama is accepted...

Cavalam Adanson, Fam. 2: 357. Jul-Aug 1763.
≡ Sterculia Linnaeus 1753
PHAN.-STERCULIACEAE (10) 9 Feb 1996

Kavalama
 Rafinesque, Sylva Tell. 72. Oct-Dec 1838.
T.: K. urens (Roxburgh) Rafinesque (Sterculia urens Roxburgh)
PHAN.-STERCULIACEAE (10) 9 Feb 1996

if Sterculia urens is changed to Kavalama urens .... why Sterculia vilosa is accepted?????????

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2011, 4:05:00 AM9/9/11
to H S, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear H S
Obviously both can't be accepted names. Depends on what you follow.

If we follow GRIN Sterculia urens is correct name and Cavalama urens (Roxb.) Raf. a synonym

If we follow The Plant List Cavalama urens (Roxb.) Raf. is correct name and Sterculia urens the synonym (rather basionym)

regarding Cavalam Adans. I managed to download a paper but was not able to unzip it. If any member has software to unzip it please send me the unzipped file. I am sending zipped file.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

Sep 9, 2011, 4:16:34 AM9/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
so here what you follow sirji,, the plant list or GRIN...

Dinesh Valke

Sep 9, 2011, 4:17:17 AM9/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
... here is the extracted text file (attached) ... but the line-breaks are weird, please bear.
Regards.
Dinesh

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
IRLF.txt

H S

Sep 9, 2011, 4:17:28 AM9/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
and one little correction... Rafins name is Kavalama and not Cavalama

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2011, 5:50:36 AM9/9/11
to H S, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks H S for pointing out my having replaced  with K

Agreed nomenclature is always tricky but we try to follow whatever is latest. Ideal situation would be when we have a name agreed upon by GRIN, The Plant List and where applicable Sorting Plant names. In those cases where we find that there is no agreement in these databases, we try to find out what is the latest status check in GRIN, as we know The Plant List was published in 2010. In this case Sterculia urens was last updated by GRIN in 2006., so was Sorting Plant Names.
    The Plant List was published in 2010, and would soon be revised. Agreed it has many shortcoming as of now, but we can follow it for taxa where these is no confusion. For taxa where there is some confusion, we discuss it in the group and then agree what mosty of us think correct. Luckily our group is not not fixed with any school of taxonomy, and as such most decisions are as per consensus. As an example Bombax ceiba is accepted name for Salmalia malabarica or Bombax malabaricum, agreed upon by all recent databases and publications, so we have to accept it as correct name although we may individually think differently. Similarly we may think our plant to be Nerium indicum as distinct species, but all recent databases and publications treat it as synonym of Nerium oleander L., and we have to follow it.
     The strength of our group is that we discuss all views but at the same time maintaining high level of cordiality. All of us give our opinion and not our decisions, and that keeps maintained the high level of interactions in the group. Fortunately all of us finally agree what most of think correct.
     All of us have been impressed by your great knowledge of the plants, especially from South-West India, and we have been greatly benefitted by your knowledge. My only request to you is that when you write anything that differs from previous persons in the thread, please back this up with some evidence. This will greatly increase our knowledge.

Satish Phadke

Sep 9, 2011, 6:45:54 AM9/9/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I had similar queries about nomencalature.
According to The plant list Kavalama urens is accepted name and Sterculia urens is synonym whereas in GRIN Sterculia urens is main name and Kavalama is not mentioned at all. Am I right?
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2011, 7:12:25 AM9/9/11
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Satish ji
I think I tried to explain that in my earlier mail:

" In those cases where we find that there is no agreement in these databases, we try to find out what is the latest status check in GRIN, as we know The Plant List was published in 2010. In this case Sterculia urens was last updated by GRIN in 2006., so was Sorting Plant Names"

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089