Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: VERBENACEAE Trees UD 7102011 Unknown possibly Citharexylum spinosum

ushadi Micromini

Jul 9, 2011, 10:52:52 PM7/9/11
to efloraofindia

Lamiaceae & Verbenaceae Week: VERBENACEAE Trees UD 7 10 2011 Unknown possibly  Citharexylum spinosum

Dear all:

Submitting  Tree for definitive id

Possibly this is   Species: * Citharexylum spinosum *

Family:   Verbenaceae

Photographed in June  2011

Site: Residential suburb, South Kolkata

Tree ID:  Possibly Citharexylum spinosum

My ID is based on reading up following posting recently by Raman ji from Bangalore See thread Similar pictures

at url : http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/ec0fd4a4960d409f

These photographs are taken from my balcony about 70 feet away..

with a zoom lens on a sony prosumer camera, handheld..

Close up of the flowers is not available YET….

In the first picture the background id provided by a Peltoforum,

leaves turning dark, and copper pods are getting bigger.

The foreground tree is a mangifera.

The middle tree is the one in question….

It is about 20 feet tall, with light grey to dark bark, no prominent furrows etc...

Leaves are elliptic-oblong, about 5-7 inches long, plain (non serrated ) margins.

All three trees are about 25 to 30 years old…

I SHALL GREATLY APPRECIATE  INPUTS FROM THE EXPERTS…

THANKS

Usha di

VERBENACEAE Trees UD 7 10 2011 DSC02696 Small.jpg
VERBENACEAE Trees UD 7 10 2011 DSC02698 Selected flowerspike and old young leaves.jpg
VERBENACEAE Trees UD 7 10 2011 DSC02709 small.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Jul 13, 2011, 5:10:46 AM7/13/11
to harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Thank you Sandhya....
for id of this tree....

Usha di

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM, harithasandhya <haritha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes, indeed it is Citharexylum spinosum. We call it 'Parijatam' in
Malayalam. Very fragrant flowers. I have it in my garden. Attracts a
lot of butterflies and bees. Easy to propagate from cuttings.

Regards,
Sandhya