Zingiber Neesanum - 260611-PKA1

Prashant awale

Jun 26, 2011, 4:05:36 AM6/26/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this herb at Kas, Satara (Maharashtra).
Date/Time: 25-06-2011/ 11:15AM

Bot. name: Zingiber neesanum

Family: Zingiberaceae

Regards
Prashant

Zingiber Neesanum_8719.jpg
Zingiber Neesanum_8721.jpg
Zingiber Neesanum_8734.jpg

Narendra Joshi

Jun 26, 2011, 10:43:34 AM6/26/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant Ji,

A wonderful catch! Thanks for sharing this.

Narendra Joshi

--
With Regards,
Narendra Joshi

Smilax004

Jun 27, 2011, 1:51:21 AM6/27/11
to efloraofindia
Are you sure about the id Z. neesanum?

Regards
Giby
>  Zingiber Neesanum_8719.jpg
> 197KViewDownload
>
>  Zingiber Neesanum_8721.jpg
> 191KViewDownload
>
>  Zingiber Neesanum_8734.jpg
> 172KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Jun 27, 2011, 5:48:59 AM6/27/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Giby ji ... my belief same as Prashant's ... me too have spotted this plant at various places around Pune and Satara at high altitudes.
Here is another view captured by me, of the same particular plant of Prashant.

Zingiber neesanum

... and a link showing list of photos of this plant by everyone at flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Zingiber%20neesanum

Please do let us know if this ID is far from Zingiber neesanum ... and thus what would (more likely) this plant be.

Regards.
Dinesh

manudev madhavan

Jun 27, 2011, 7:28:43 AM6/27/11
to Dinesh Valke, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Dear all,

Am not much sure about the identity of the plant in the picture.
But am sure its not Zingiber neesanum...!!!
Usually Z. neesanum has slender spikes with brown, reddish- green bracts. Also the flowers are white in colour with purple or pink spotted or striped labellum. I have some images with me, but misplaced some where. I shall upload the pictures later.

Anyway... when I searched through google, the plant similar to the above image appeared...!!!
So I had to refer the book "Zingiberaceae & Costaceae of South India" authored by Dr. Sabu ( University of Calicut) to confirm my observations....!!!

Inviting expert comments...!!!

regards
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Prabhu kumar KM

Jun 29, 2011, 5:35:48 AM6/29/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant awale....

It is not Z. neesanum
It is a new species (Or new genus - i want confirmation from my friend).

--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Research Scholar

Bhatt Sweta

Jun 29, 2011, 11:21:43 AM6/29/11
to Prabhu kumar KM, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Even i am a little confused over it...
I am sending the one i found at Kaas...
--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,

Zingiber neesamum (6)-1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 25, 2011, 8:25:02 AM9/25/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, manudev madhavan, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, msa...@rediffmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species).

Zingiber Neesanum_8719.jpg
Zingiber Neesanum_8721.jpg
Zingiber Neesanum_8734.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 26, 2011, 1:06:02 AM9/26/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, manudev madhavan, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, msa...@rediffmail.com
A reply:
"This is one of the most confusing gingers of India. I have been looking for the type and protologue but the type is missing and the protologue is insufficient for confirmation. But tentatively now placed in Z. neesanum however further studies are essential. Recently this is published as Z. divakanii from Pune. I will sent a pdf version of the paper later.
Regards
Sabu
Thanks for reading this mail.
With best regards
Dr.M.Sabu
Professor
Taxonomy and Floristics Division
Department of Botany
Calicut University
Kerala 673635, India."

Thanks a lot, Dr. Sabu.

Prashant Awale

Jun 15, 2012, 12:08:15 PM6/15/12
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, manudev madhavan, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, msa...@rediffmail.com
Dear Friends,
"Plant Discoveries 2011 by BSI" has mentioned about Zingiber diwakarianum R Kr Singh.

Dr M. Sabu ji in his reply has mentioned that this is published as Z. diwakarnii from Pune. It will be really interesting to see this paper and see if the plant posted by me earlier from Kas and similar plants seen in Mahabaleshwar and other regions of Sahyadri are Z. diwakarianum.

Regards
Prashant

jmgarg1

Jun 22, 2012, 1:46:30 AM6/22/12
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, manudev madhavan, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, mamiyil sabu

Forwarding again for any further feedback in the matter please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Are you sure about the id Z. neesanum?

Regards
Giby”

“Giby ji ... my belief same as Prashant's ... me too have spotted this plant at various places around Pune and Satara at high altitudes.

Here is another view captured by me, of the same particular plant of Prashant.” from Dinesh ji.

“Am not much sure about the identity of the plant in the picture.

But am sure its not Zingiber neesanum...!!!

Usually Z. neesanum has slender spikes with brown, reddish- green bracts. Also the flowers are white in colour with purple or pink spotted or striped labellum. I have some images with me, but misplaced some where. I shall upload the pictures later.

Anyway... when I searched through google, the plant similar to the above image appeared...!!!

So I had to refer the book "Zingiberaceae & Costaceae of South India" authored by Dr. Sabu ( University of Calicut) to confirm my observations....!!!” from Manudev ji.

"It is not Z. neesanum
It is a new species (Or new genus - i want confirmation from my friend)." from Prabhu Kumar ji.

"This is one of the most confusing gingers of India. I have been looking for the type and protologue but the type is missing and the protologue is insufficient for confirmation. But tentatively now placed in Z. neesanum however further studies are essential. Recently this is published as Z. divakanii from Pune. I will sent a pdf version of the paper later.
Regards
Sabu"

"Plant Discoveries 2011 by BSI" has mentioned about Zingiber diwakarianum R Kr Singh.

Dr M. Sabu ji in his reply has mentioned that this is published as Z. diwakarnii from Pune. It will be really interesting to see this paper and see if the plant posted by me earlier from Kas and similar plants seen in Mahabaleshwar and other regions of Sahyadri are Z. diwakarianum." from Prashant ji.

Jun 22, 2012, 1:51:23 AM6/22/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, mamiyil sabu
Can anybody please share the paper...?
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

jmgarg1

Jun 29, 2012, 8:43:50 AM6/29/12
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Smilax004, manudev madhavan, Bhatt Sweta, prabhum...@gmail.com, Sabu Mamiyil, mamiyil sabu
Forwarding again forany further feedback in the matter please.
Some earlierrelevant feedback:
“Are you sure about the id Z. neesanum?
Regards
Giby”

“Giby ji ... my belief same as Prashant's ... me too have spotted this plant at various places around Pune and Satara at high altitudes.Here is another view captured by me, of the same particular plant of Prashant.” from Dinesh ji.

[...]

Nov 23, 2020, 10:25:50 AM11/23/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Saroj Kasaju, DineshValke, manudev madhavan
I think this will be Zingiber diwakarianum as per images and details herein

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 23, 2020, 10:43:46 AM11/23/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks a lot, Sabu ji.

Nov 24, 2020, 4:24:10 AM11/24/20
to efloraofindia, manudev madhavan, Prashant awale
Thanks, Manudev ji.

Sep 24, 2021, 7:37:07 AM9/24/21
to efloraofindia, smilingsmit, DineshValke, manudev madhavan, Prabhu kumar KM, Ashutosh Sharma, rushabhc...@gmail.com, Prashant awale
Sep 24, 2021, 8:33:23 AM9/24/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, smilingsmit, manudev madhavan, Prabhu kumar KM, Ashutosh Sharma, rushabhc...@gmail.com, Prashant awale
Yes to me, Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 24, 2021, 9:22:36 AM9/24/21
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg

Thanks Manudev ji.
Garg ji, please share the document.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2021, 9:47:33 AM9/24/21
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, rushabhc...@gmail.com, manudev madhavan
Hi, Manudev ji,
Pl. ask Rushabh ji, marked in cc, to send a readable copy to you personally.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2021, 11:37:24 AM9/24/21
to efloraofindia, manudev madhavan, DineshValke, Prashant awale, Prabhu kumar KM
Thanks a lot, Sabu ji