Bird and butterfly attracting trees...

Subramanya S

Apr 19, 2009, 9:55:54 AM4/19/09
to ndiantreepix

Dear all,

The pdf sent by Geetha to the list was a more simplified extract from earlier publications of mine:

1.      Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1993. Pollination by birds and bats. Curr. Sci. 65: 201-209.

2.      Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1997. Generalized relationship among ornithophilus plants and their flower visitors: What we can look for? Curr. Sci.73: 230-231.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Subbu.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Subramanya S <subbu.su...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Geetha,

Thanks for forwarding this pdf that I sent you to the list. I would be very happy to receive feedback on it. I have willingly sent this pdf to many and a few have even projected contents as their own idea..!

But the good thing is that it is making circulation. In Bangalore alone, over 2500 of the plants listed in the pdf have been planted and a few plant nursery owners have shown interest to develop seedlings of these plants and put it out for sale.

I developed this list at the request of a politician who wanted to bring back birds to Bangalore Parks. I would be very happy if it finds use among those who want to use it to plant-up vacant places to attract birds.

There is no copyrights attached to the pdf, those interested can include the same in their websites for free download and let me know if they do do so.

Cheers,

Subbu

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Geetha Jaikumar <geetha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Sushmitha and others interested in bird and butterfly attracting trees.

Am forwarding the mails I received so that it can be shared by the group.

Regards

Geetha Jaikumar

Apr 19, 2009, 8:52:09 PM4/19/09
to ndiantreepix
Dear Satyaprakash,

Back issues of Current Science is online and you can download the two pdfs. Due to some peculiar archiving, you can only download each page at a time.

Cheers,

Subbu.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Satya Prakash <spm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Subbu,

Can we get the pdf of the two papers.....

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Satya Prakash Mehra

--- On Sun, 19/4/09, Subramanya S <subbu.su...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

ancha...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2009, 8:21:03 AM6/14/09
to indiantreepix, butterfl...@yahoogroups.com
Dear Subramanya,
Sir i am a nature lover and have been going for nature walks
regularly. However i have recently shifted to Dehradun from Pune
and now looking for info on NATIVE plants that attract birds and
butterflies. However most of garden plants are exotic and Pentas and
Lantana which attracts butterflies due to their nectar are exotic and
later a weed too. When i visited Sabji Mandi and asked for desi seeds
the shopkeeper had a good laugh. Which world do u live in he said. so
he gave me Hybrid seeds with packet declaring Poison do not consume.
My garden is 50 by 40 feet at back of my house and in front about 30
ft by 8 ft.

I have planted few plants in my backyard garden to attract birds and
butterflies but some are unfortunately found out are exotic like
nesthurium.
like (NOT TO FAMILIAR WITH LATIN NAMES)
cabbage, Kadiy patta, nestthrium -(orange yellow flowers seasonally
though they are still flowering in heat of June) , nimbo
tomato, grass patch but allowed wild weeds to come and hence got lot
of blue butterflies coming to my garden, lemon grass, arum, lettuce,
corriande, methi palak, beans, pumkin, kerela, sairya bel, madhumalti,
sadbhar, kalencho etc

trees which are saplings as yet and i will be planting them this
monsoon are
amla, peach, plum, nimbo, kinu, musambi, fig- anjeer that we eat,
mango, litchi, nashpati,
and american milk weed called Haldi Kumkum in maharashtra and Tiger
buterflies lay eggs on it while lots of buuterflies come cof its
nectar.
Pot lucka as i found loads of honey bees coming to them.

In my society compound i planted last year about 30 species of trees
like Lagerstromia-Pride of India, Amaltash, Kadamba, Chinar, Kanak
Champa, Neem, Jackfruit, Kachnar, ...... whatever species i could lay
my hand on which were native and available in Dehradun.
I was searching the tree group site and came across ur correspondece
with Geetha on the same subject. But could not locate the file
attached with it.

could I have the file please

If anyone has special guidance for Dehradun please to help.

regards
Anchal Sondhi
member of Kalpavriksh
and butterfleisindia yahhoo group and inidantree yahoogroup
Dehradun
M-9412992798
email:ancha...@gmail.com

Subramanya S wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> The pdf sent by Geetha to the list was a more simplified extract from
> earlier publications of mine:
>

> 1. Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1993. Pollination by birds and
> bats. *Curr. Sci.* 65: 201-209.
>

> 2. Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1997. Generalized relationship
> among ornithophilus plants and their flower visitors: What we can look for?
> *Curr. Sci*.73: 230-231.

Aju

Jun 14, 2009, 8:31:42 AM6/14/09
to indiantreepix
I am no expert but lover of trees. Here I stumble upon the heading- do
the trees attract birds and butterflies or the other way? If the
heading is OK do the trees grow in anticipation of the birds and
butterflies to come?
Aju Mukhopadhyay

On Apr 19, 6:55 pm, Subramanya S <subbu.subrama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The pdf sent by Geetha to the list was a more simplified extract from
> earlier publications of mine:
>
> 1.      Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1993. Pollination by birds and
> bats. *Curr. Sci.* 65: 201-209.
>
> 2.      Subramanya, S. and Radhamani, T.R.,1997. Generalized relationship
> among ornithophilus plants and their flower visitors: What we can look for?
> *Curr. Sci*.73: 230-231.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Subbu.
>
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Subramanya S <subbu.subrama...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Geetha,
>
> Thanks for forwarding this pdf that I sent you to the list. I would be very
> happy to receive feedback on it. I have willingly sent this pdf to many and
> a few have even projected contents as their own idea..!
>
> But the good thing is that it is making circulation. In Bangalore alone,
> over 2500 of the plants listed in the pdf have been planted and a few plant
> nursery owners have shown interest to develop seedlings of these plants and
> put it out for sale.
>
> I developed this list at the request of a politician who wanted to bring
> back birds to Bangalore Parks. I would be very happy if it finds use among
> those who want to use it to plant-up vacant places to attract birds.
>
> There is no copyrights attached to the pdf, those interested can include the
> same in their websites for free download and let me know if they do do so.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Subbu
>
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Geetha Jaikumar <geetha.jku...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Sushmitha and others interested in bird and butterfly attracting trees.
>
> Am forwarding the mails I received so that it can be shared by the group.
>
> Regards
>
> Geetha Jaikumar

J.M. Garg

Jun 14, 2009, 8:56:16 AM6/14/09
to ancha...@gmail.com, indiantreepix, butterfl...@yahoogroups.com
Hi, Anchal ji,
You will find the links from the following taken from Indiantreepix Database:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Anand Kumar Bhatt