identification no210611sn2

Satish Nikam

Jun 21, 2011, 6:29:01 AM6/21/11
to Indiantrees Pics
Dear All,
            Repeating my earlier request for ID.Pic taken in Mulshi,Pune.
The locals avoid eating the fruits.
thanks
regards
satish nikam

IMG_5416-r.jpg
IMG_5417-r.jpg
IMG_5418-r.jpg
IMG_5419-r.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 10:19:03 AM6/21/11
to efloraofindia
I am stumped...
but nothing...
not an expert...
could this be one of those very acidic plums... that were used by
romans to make wine?

MY QUESTION: DIDN't the LOCALS tell you the name they use for it?

that's usually a good starting point...

Usha di
====
>  IMG_5416-r.jpg
> 49KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5417-r.jpg
> 55KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5418-r.jpg
> 38KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5419-r.jpg
> 61KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Jun 21, 2011, 10:33:58 AM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
... looks very much like Olea dioica ... commonly known as kadu jambhul कडू जांबूळ / कड जांबूळ OR par jambhul ¿ पार जांभूळ ?
Please wait for comments.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Jun 29, 2011, 2:56:29 AM6/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia

Ushadi micromini

Jun 29, 2011, 8:13:17 AM6/29/11
to efloraofindia
To me this not wild or otherwise OLIVE..... leaves definitely are not
OLIVE like....

I still think its one of those acidic plums..used to be used for pies
and making wine...

a little goolgling gets one: **** 1) Prunus institia or Shropshire
Prune Damson ..... likely....

*****2) prunus domestica ..... perhaps.....

USHA di
=

PS WHEN I DONT HAVE A RULER OR SOMETHING HANDY TO COMPARE SIZE , I
JUST USE MY FINGERS, PALM ETC OR A PEN ..INCLUDING THEM IN AT LEAST
ONE PHOTO..

SOMETIMES I ASK PASSERS-BY... AS I RECENTLY DID, WHEN PHOTOGRAPHING
KARAMCHA /CARISSA FRUITS FROM THE STREET , THE TREE WAS INSIDE
RAMKRISHNA MISSION CAMPUS... A STUDENT WAS WALKING BY, AND SHE
COMPLIED WITH MY REQUEST, SHE LENT ME HER FINGERS ..HOLDING THE
BRANCH AND PROVIDING THE PICTURE A SIZE GUIDE... VOILA, A RULER...

something like that would have helped in this case...... esp the
fruit...

============================

On Jun 29, 11:56 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... this query re-posted athttps://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/AfuSsCryI5E/discussion
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > ... looks very much like *Olea dioica* ... commonly known as *kadu jambhul
> > * कडू जांबूळ / कड जांबूळ OR *par jambhul *¿ पार जांभूळ ?

J.M. Garg

Sep 25, 2011, 8:03:28 AM9/25/11
to efloraofindia, le...@rediffmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, mohina...@gmail.com, satish...@yahoo.com, Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, Dinesh Valke, H S, Smilax004, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“... looks very much like Olea dioica ... commonly known as kadu jambhul कडू जांबूळ / कड जांबूळ OR par jambhul ¿ पार जांभूळ ?Please wait for comments.

Regards.
Dinesh”

“... this query re-posted at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/AfuSsCryI5E/discussion

Regards.
Dinesh”

“To me this not wild or otherwise OLIVE.....  leaves definitely are not OLIVE like....

I still think its one of those acidic plums..used to be used for pies and making wine...

a little goolgling gets one: **** 1) Prunus institia  or Shropshire Prune Damson ..... likely....

 *****2) prunus domestica   ..... perhaps.....

USHA di”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species).

IMG_5416-r.jpg
IMG_5417-r.jpg
IMG_5418-r.jpg
IMG_5419-r.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 26, 2011, 5:55:45 AM9/26/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, le...@rediffmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, agasti...@yahoo.co.in, aparna...@gmail.com, raani...@gmail.com, neha.v...@gmail.com, rahu...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, mohina...@gmail.com, satish...@yahoo.com, Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, Dinesh Valke, H S, Muthu Karthick
Are there serrated leaves at any stage? I am also guessing towards Olea dioica of Oleaceae family.
I could see the lenticels on mature stems.
Please refer the following link

Regards,
Giby

--