identification no 240611sn1

Satish Nikam

Jun 24, 2011, 4:59:59 AM6/24/11
to Indiantrees Pics
Dear All,
            This refers to my earlier query on this same subject(ref. elforindia:72243).This plant has been tentatively identified by Dineshji as Oleo dioica.In Feb 11 I had queried about a plant which was identified as Oleo dioica.Then I had gone through Dineshjis photos on flickr,which I often do, and had come across a plant named Oleo dioica.Since then I was confused as both looked different.So I tracked this plant to see further development,but did not find these fruits afterwards.So there seems some mistake somewhere.I would like experts to clarify.Also I had mentioned that locals avoid this fruit,but they just say "jungli"and have no specific name for it.
thanks
regards
satish nikam

IMG_5416-r.jpg
IMG_5417-r.jpg
IMG_5418-r.jpg
IMG_5419-r.jpg

Smilax004

Jun 25, 2011, 1:42:19 AM6/25/11
to efloraofindia
This not Olea dioica, for sure. The leaf margin is entire here. In
O.dioica the leaf margin is serrated. Am not sure about the id. Any
idea about the flowers? Further, where have you seen this and what
altitude?
I couldn't find details of the species in the picture. It is not nice
to post pictures without the necessary details which is also essential
for id species. I could not find the referred post also (ref.
elforindia:72243).

Regards
Giby
>  IMG_5416-r.jpg
> 49KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5417-r.jpg
> 55KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5418-r.jpg
> 38KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5419-r.jpg
> 61KViewDownload

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jun 25, 2011, 12:02:55 PM6/25/11
to efloraofindia
The size of the fruits needs to be given. If they are about 3-4 cm
then this could be Beilschmeidia dalzellii of Lauraceae. Regards,
Shrikant

Dinesh Valke

Jun 29, 2011, 3:18:40 AM6/29/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
... (ref. elforindia:72243) is at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/dlEgKfX5SGY/discussion

Giby ji ... agreeing to your point that pictures that do not show features to support ID are not effective.
About Olea dioica: leaf margin may not be always serrated ... here are some of photos of what I believe are of Olea dioica ... please correct me if they seem ambiguous.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Olea+dioica&w=91314344%40N00&s=rec
1) Feb 27, 2011 ... Matheran ... 2039 ft
2) Feb 18, 2009 ... Matheran ... ~2000 ft
3) Jan 17, 2009 ... Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary ... ~2000 ft
4) Apr 7, 2008 ... near Lion's Point, Lonavala ... ~ 2500 ft
5) Feb 16, 2008 ... Mahabaleshwar ... ~ 4000 ft

Regards.
Dinesh

Muthu Karthick

Jun 29, 2011, 4:56:06 AM6/29/11
to Dinesh Valke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Dineshji, O.dioca have serrated leaf margin in younger stages but as a tree the serration blunts. So we difficult to justify based on lea morphology. These ellipsoid fruits remind me of O.dioca only.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,