Ammania baccifera on FOI

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 15, 2011, 11:36:34 AM7/15/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
While checking Flowers of India in connection with plant uploaded by Balkar ji, my own photographs uploaded from Morni hills, I realised that although the second photograph on FOI is clearly Ammania baccifera, the first plant may not be so. To me the first photograph by Dinesh ji looks to have clearly stalked flowers, the stem and leaves look different. It may after all be belonging to Rubiaceae, perhaps Oldenlandia corymbosa. Dinesh ji please check your records of these photographs and give your valuable comments.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Jul 15, 2011, 12:09:12 PM7/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Gurcharan ji ... many thanks for validating and pointing the oddity. You must be correct too.
Agreed the first plant to show stalked flowers; but to me it does not look like Oldenlandia corymbosa ... will stand corrected if mistaking.

Here are views of both plants sighted at different instances :
Ammannia baccifera ... http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Ammania+baccifera&w=91314344%40N00&s=rec
Oldenlandia corymbosa ... http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Oldenlandia+corymbosa&w=91314344%40N00&s=rec

Will be very glad to have my misidentified plants corrected.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Jul 15, 2011, 12:42:51 PM7/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
I (partially!) agree with both of your views.
The second image in FOI, tagged as Ammannia baccifera, could be A. octandra.
And Dinesh ji's link for A.baccifera contains pictures of a Borreria (=Spermacoce) species. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3976733272/lightbox/)
It doesn't look like Mitracarpus, and it is not Hedyotis for sure.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 15, 2011, 12:56:55 PM7/15/11
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Vijayasankar ji
This is very interesting. Here are my photographs of A. baccifera from Tikkar Tal Lake, Morni, Haryana. It looks very similar to second photograph. Could you kindly give the differences between A. baccifera and A. octandra, latter I suppose occurs in Western Ghats.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ammannia-baccifera-Tikkar tal lake-Morni-1.jpg
Ammannia-baccifera-Tikkar tal lake-Morni-2.jpg
Ammannia-baccifera-Tikkar tal lake-Morni-3.jpg

Vijayasankar

Jul 15, 2011, 1:18:22 PM7/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Gurcharan ji, I meant the attached image in this link: http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Blistering%20Ammannia.html
Now I realize it is not A. octandra as the leaf base is not auriculate in the picture.
But as you said it is not A. baccifera owing to the stalked flowers.
Could it be A. verticillata? http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250064525

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Blistering Ammannia.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 15, 2011, 2:47:01 PM7/15/11
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish, satish pardeshi
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for pointing to the Borreria species ... will rectify my notes accordingly.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 15, 2011, 9:44:57 PM7/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish, satish pardeshi
Just for record, here is my (herbarium photograph) from Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Lythraceae-Ammania-auriculata-Kashmir-1.jpg